Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/24/2015 11:05:28 PM EDT
Hello, new here and new to AK's. I got an entry level I.O. Inc AKM247 coming my way. I know about all the bad stuff and their rep from years past but, with the new plant in Florida and videos I've seen, thought I'd give one a try. Besides, the boss limited me on what I could spend!

Those of you with experience, are there any suggestions or recommendations to help make it a better rifle for me? Don't know to much so, I'm thinking things like gas tube, etc. etc. Thanks in advance, TW.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have nothing helpful to say so I'll just wish you luck.

Welcome to the forum.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know about all the bad stuff and their rep from years past but, with the new plant in Florida and videos I've seen...
View Quote

Their rep isn't just in the past. They're still screwing people over to this day, now they're just doing it in a new shop in a new state. With the money you spent on the IO you could have got a WASR for essentially the same money and been better off. The only thing I can suggest is to watch your rivets to make sure they don't start backing out on you, because they won't cover it under warranty if they do. Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, being new to the rifle, I wasn't too sure what models were good ones and which ones weren't. I looked at some WASR's but, the ones I found in my range were not in stock it seems. If the I.O. Inc turns out to be a bad one, will it just be trash or could I fix it up with some decent replacement parts?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#4]
$50 more for a WASR would have been how I spent my coin, but good luck to you. Post photos and a range report when you get it.

Whereabouts in OR are you?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, being new to the rifle, I wasn't too sure what models were good ones and which ones weren't. I looked at some WASR's but, the ones I found in my range were not in stock it seems. If the I.O. Inc turns out to be a bad one, will it just be trash or could I fix it up with some decent replacement parts?
View Quote

If I turns out to be trash you would be better off just eating what you lose on it and buying something else.

I'm not a fan of Yugoslavian rifles as they have proprietary parts and non chromed bores but they are head and shoulders above anything that IO puts out.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anything can be fixed with the necessary parts. While I would have leaned towards a WASR at that price, you cannot change that now. If the sights are straight and the rifle shoots accurately, enjoy it and do not worry about what others think.

That said, watch the bolt and cast bolt carrier. Military AKs use milled carriers and the AKM247's bolt is an unknown at this point. These parts both take the bulk of the beating during firing and if voids exist in the casting, the parts might crack/break from use. Also, watch/remove the rubber buffer at the rear of the receiver. It should not be necessary and will break down over time. You would be better off adding a Wolff extra power recoil spring if you are worried about the rifle beating itself to pieces.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any AK can almost always be fixed, it's just a matter of how much time and money you're willing to put into it. More than likely your rifle will be fine, but you do have a higher than normal chance that it won't. If you do have an issue hopefully IO will fix it, but I've ended up repairing three IO's so far because they wouldn't do so despite their "lifetime" warranty. If you spend enough time here you'll find that you can put a lot of hours into research when it comes to the AK due to the tremendous amounts of variants and countries that produced them. Since IO doesn't use parts built to any country's spec it's hard to say what exactly will and will not work when it comes to aftermarket parts.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
$50 more for a WASR would have been how I spent my coin, but good luck to you. Post photos and a range report when you get it.

View Quote

I'm in Albany, yourself?

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feed back and not being to hard on a newby. Guess I'll just have to wait and see then go from there. I knew the rifle was entry level and thought it would at least let me know if I will like this style or not. Who makes the WASR's?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm in Albany, yourself?

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the feed back and not being to hard on a newby. Guess I'll just have to wait and see then go from there. I knew the rifle was entry level and thought it would at least let me know if I will like this style or not. Who makes the WASR's?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in Albany, yourself?

If you were a bit closer, I would invite you over to shoot a few different AK's. The WASR is made in Romania by CUGIR and imported by Century.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#10]
What do ya'll think of this rifle? Is this a good gun to get? I am thinking seriously of going for another if the I.O. Inc AKM is not a good one. I did some research last night now that I know somewhat what to look for and found this at Impact Guns.

http://www.impactguns.com/cia-gp-wasr-762x39-rifle-r1805n-787450074477.aspx
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What do ya'll think of this rifle? Is this a good gun to get? I am thinking seriously of going for another if the I.O. Inc AKM is not a good one. I did some research last night now that I know somewhat what to look for and found this at Impact Guns.

http://www.impactguns.com/cia-gp-wasr-762x39-rifle-r1805n-787450074477.aspx
View Quote

Same gun but quality inspected and cheaper.

The old WASRs had issues but the new ones are generally good to go.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cai-ak-47-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I joined actually to say that I bought the "sporter" version that has black stocks last Saturday after shopping around in my area. Everything about the rifle felt real well and was surprised how much the receiver felt sturdier than a WASR at another shop. One thing I totally over looked and wanted to mention to you is the muzzle brake. I didn't think to check after about 100 rounds and when I did I noticed that they didn't tighten the muzzle brake hand tight at the factory. Because of this a couple threads on the ones side of the barrel were messed up from shooting I guess. Repairable, but it did bum me out since I just got this. I tried tightening the muzzle brake hand tight, but it was a quarter of a turn short to line up. Long story short I caused the detent pin to get stuck so it's flush with the front sight block. Lesson learned on my part, but make sure it's lined up and snug when you get it. You also want to make sure the hand grip's screw is tight. Although the grip wasn't loose, after shooting mine the first time it loosened up. But after tightening up the screw it never came loose again. Those were the only issues for the short time I've had it. There's a constant dread looming over my head though because of the company's notoriety.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I joined actually to say that I bought the "sporter" version that has black stocks last Saturday after shopping around in my area. Everything about the rifle felt real well and was surprised how much the receiver felt sturdier than a WASR at another shop. One thing I totally over looked and wanted to mention to you is the muzzle brake. I didn't think to check after about 100 rounds and when I did I noticed that they didn't tighten the muzzle brake hand tight at the factory. Because of this a couple threads on the ones side of the barrel were messed up from shooting I guess. Repairable, but it did bum me out since I just got this. I tried tightening the muzzle brake hand tight, but it was a quarter of a turn short to line up. Long story short I caused the detent pin to get stuck so it's flush with the front sight block. Lesson learned on my part, but make sure it's lined up and snug when you get it. You also want to make sure the hand grip's screw is tight. Although the grip wasn't loose, after shooting mine the first time it loosened up. But after tightening up the screw it never came loose again. Those were the only issues for the short time I've had it. There's a constant dread looming over my head though because of the company's notoriety.
View Quote

Thank you very much for the input! I will check out everything you mentioned and then some before shooting. I too now have that dread looming in my head after what everyone is saying but, guess I'll just shoot it, see what happens and hope for the best!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thank you very much for the input! I will check out everything you mentioned and then some before shooting. I too now have that dread looming in my head after what everyone is saying but, guess I'll just shoot it, see what happens and hope for the best!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes you get lucky and get as good or more than you hope for.  I hope that's the case for you.  Let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#15]
My buddy bought an IO a few weeks ago against my advice. He has had nothing but problems. It was doubling straight out of the box, when it didn't double it tried to but wouldn't hit the primer of the second round hard enough to set it off. I have already starting replacing parts of his new rifle!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:59:25 PM EDT
[#16]
That's not good or encouraging! Hope you can get it all fixed up for him. What did you have to replace?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I tried tightening the muzzle brake hand tight, but it was a quarter of a turn short to line up.
View Quote

This is completely normal for AKs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#18]
If you haven't yet taken possession of the gun yet you can refuse the transfer. You may or may not be responsible for return shipping fees, that depends on your distributor and your local FFL dealer.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Got mine today , gunsmith inspected it and said it seams solid. Ill shoot this weekend and I guess Ill find out. He said the same thing about the newer guns being better than some yrs back.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, I sincerely hope your IO works out well for you and is problem free. If for some reason it isn't, the WASR mentioned above is a solid, affordable alternative. Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks guys, really appreciate all the responses. Looks like it should be here on Tuesday so, I'll let you all know what my first impressions are.

Texan1970, glad your gunsmith says it looks solid. Please let me know what your thoughts are after you shoot it and how it performs. Would greatly appreciate it. PM me if that is better for you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's not good or encouraging! Hope you can get it all fixed up for him. What did you have to replace?
View Quote

I have replaced the trigger assembly so far. He is going to test fire it and report back. It's a great looking rifle. I'm not real fond of the cast bolt carrier but other than that it looks good. The trigger is a little too light for my taste.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Does the bolt carrier being cast make it weaker?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does the bolt carrier being cast make it weaker?
View Quote

Yes, now there are cast 1911s out there being shot every day, they do work, but they won't last as long as their forged counterparts.

Will it ever fail you? Probably not, but it is weaker nonetheless.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks again. I'm going to go out and give this rifle a what for and go from there. When and if issues arise, I'll tackle them one at a time.

Now, with that said, ya'll got me looking at those dang WASR's and my wife is giving me dirty looks!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We started evaluating the new IO 247 rifles last July and ran the gun at our range for 5 months to test the guns out before we decided to start offering the IO Inc line again .The rifles did extremely well and we were surprised given the past track record with their AK lines. After a 5 month T&E session we felt comfortable & started to offer the IO AKs again . Quite honestly we have not had one complaint after 300 plus rifles sold . Our staff try's to quickly look the guns over when they arrive to avoid problems going out to customers and they have reported no issues. We believe that IO has truly turned the corner and the 247 is another option for AK customers to consider .Is a WASR or PAP etc better ? That is up you you to decide based on the features of the gun that you want & your budget  . I personally like the WASR series but keep in mind they used to be the Black Sheep of the AK Web world .

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/io246cwood%20(11%20of%2010).jpg
View Quote

That's good to hear. Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't care if IO sells gold-plated rifles for $300, I will NEVER buy anything from them.

They sold dangerous parts kits to people with oversized gas ports (through their sister company, Royal Tiger Imports), and lied about how serious it was.  We're talking 3mm too big.

Read the thread from start to finish:
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150747

Read threads on other forums of guns blowing up from headspacing issues.

No.  No no no no hell no to IO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I don't care if IO sells gold-plated rifles for $300, I will NEVER buy anything from them.

They sold dangerous parts kits to people with oversized gas ports (through their sister company, Royal Tiger Imports), and lied about how serious it was.  We're talking 3mm too big.

View Quote

Royal Tiger/IO will never see a dime of my money:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/156206_Royal_Tiger_Imports______s_people_on_their_orders__Vepr_IV_.html

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Royal Tiger/IO will never see a dime of my money:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/156206_Royal_Tiger_Imports______s_people_on_their_orders__Vepr_IV_.html

I wont even give people advice on fixing their IO guns, other than "Throw it in the garbage and buy something else".
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#31]
For $475 from classic arms, I have to admit I am tempted.  OP, please take some pics of the rivet work.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry, I'm not taking possession of the rifle! SEE MY NEW THREAD.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Research here first, then buy.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top