Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2015 1:25:04 PM EDT
Had a strange problem at the range last week, my WASR has always been 100% reliable with everything I've run thru it (Wolf WPA, Brown Bear, Red Army Standard & Golden Tiger) til I tried some of  my surplus Yugo in the WASR for the first time. Using the same two 30 round surplus Romanian mags it came with I'd have an extraction but no ejection in one out of 4 or 5 rounds. Been running the same batch of Yugo thru my 7.62x39 AR for years with no issues. So I was all ready to blame the ammo when I tried to load the rest of the Yugo in my Korean 20 round mag and it functioned fine every time. So I basically shot 15 rounds out of each 30 round Romanian with 5 or 6 fails total, then ran 60 rounds thru the same Asian 20 round mag, no failures. Since I had just gotten some new mag springs in I changed both springs, we'll see. But normally weak springs cause feeding issues for me, not ejection. Am I missing anything?

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't think of how the mags could cause ejection issues either, but it seems to be the only common item. Try your other mags and report back.

in the mean time, you can check the extractor and rails to make sure all is good.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Wish I'd brought my Hungarian Tanker mags, that's what I run most of the time. Normally save the corrosive Yugo for the AR and the VZ since they're much more accurate than the AK but just swapped out the plywood stock with a poly triangle stock and only had time to hit the local indoor range which doesn't allow steel cased ammo. I'd sooner believe it's the ammo vs the mags, at least it was a good excuse to open up the mags for a quick look and replace the springs anyways. But the Yugo is high grade brassed case ammo, during the first hundred rounds of my 7.62x39 Ar it choked on most steel but ran the Yugo fine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]
yea, Yugo is the shiz for sure. Could have been the chamber maybe. I know in my AR sometimes switching between steel and brass, the brass will stick. I think this is due to the steel cases not expanding like the brass and carbon fouling the chamber. Then a brass case comes along and it gets stuck.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Clean your gas port.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:48:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Yugo is the shiz for sure. Could have been the chamber maybe. I know in my AR sometimes switching between steel and brass, the brass will stick. I think this is due to the steel cases not expanding like the brass and carbon fouling the chamber. Then a brass case comes along and it gets stuck.  
View Quote

I'm thinking this may be the most likely cause, maybe some carbon build up in the chamber was sticking to the brass and it just happened to clear when I changed to the 20 round mag. Gave the chamber a good scrubbing and made sure my ejector was well lubed. If it happens again may replace the ejector spring with something stronger, but if it's only an issue with Yugo ammo I'm not gonna waste a lot of time troubleshooting, I save the Yugo for my best shooter and the WASR eats the junk rounds.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Clean your gas port.

View Quote
this isn't a bad idea either. I wasn't even thinking gas issue, but I should have been. I have a small spool of wire to I use to poke down the gas port

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:38:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm thinking this may be the most likely cause, maybe some carbon build up in the chamber was sticking to the brass and it just happened to clear when I changed to the 20 round mag. Gave the chamber a good scrubbing and made sure my ejector was well lubed. If it happens again may replace the ejector spring with something stronger, but if it's only an issue with Yugo ammo I'm not gonna waste a lot of time troubleshooting, I save the Yugo for my best shooter and the WASR eats the junk rounds.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yugo is the shiz for sure. Could have been the chamber maybe. I know in my AR sometimes switching between steel and brass, the brass will stick. I think this is due to the steel cases not expanding like the brass and carbon fouling the chamber. Then a brass case comes along and it gets stuck.  

You ejector is the piece of steel that sticks out on the left rail above the rear of the mag. Think your talking about "Lubing the Extractor, not ejector, being the Ejector has NO spring.

Do you have any mag wobble?? Particularly in the mag catch where the rear lug doesn't lock in as tight in the rear?

With no rounds or mag installed, Pull the charging handle back, and with the other hand and put your fingers in the magwell slot and from below, pull the "Bolt" all the way forward and then pull the carrier back to where the Ejector fits into the Bolt Slot. While the Bolt is "all the way forward" in the carrier (it will not stay that way if let it go, unless you told the rifle downward), wiggle the bolt up and down/back and forth around the Ejector and see how far you can move it away from the ejector.

If you do not pull the bolt as far forward as it will go, it will not show how much true wiggle room it has while passing by the ejector. It can be tough doing it being the recoil spring pushing the Carrier forward but with the actual bolt pulled forward, then line up the carrier/bolt with the ejector and see if the bolt can be moved away from the ejector.

Some people do this with the Recoil spring removed, but I've noticed the Carrier sits lower that way and it normally makes things appear better than they really are when removed.

When the bolt is all the way forward in the carrier when its brand new, it locks up tightly...After about 60-100 rounds, the Bolt develops ALOT of wobble in the outmost position in the carrier and can even be twisted outward a good amount when Carrier is removed (and inside the receiver).

So if your receiver rails are too wide, it can cause the bolt to move away from the ejector, especially the the mag is wobbly, the top round in the mag can push the bolt toward, and away from the ejector when the mag wobbles under recoil.

That being after a shot is fired, the Bolt is in it "foremost position" and it pulls out the empty casing while also pushing down the "Top" fresh round in the mag when cycling back and the round in the mag being either on the left, or right side of the mag, can manipulate the bolt and push it "toward" or "away" from the Ejector if the Bolt wobble is allowed to move around too much in the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:25:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Clean your gas port.

View Quote

Gas ports get larger over time from high velocity gas racing through the aperture.  Shit will not collect in there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#9]

You ejector is the piece of steel that sticks out on the left rail above the rear of the mag. Think your talking about "Lubing the Extractor, not ejector, being the Ejector has NO spring.

Do you have any mag wobble?? Particularly in the mag catch where the rear lug doesn't lock in as tight in the rear?

With no rounds or mag installed, Pull the charging handle back, and with the other hand and put your fingers in the magwell slot and from below, pull the "Bolt" all the way forward and then pull the carrier back to where the Ejector fits into the Bolt Slot. While the Bolt is "all the way forward" in the carrier (it will not stay that way if let it go, unless you told the rifle downward), wiggle the bolt up and down/back and forth around the Ejector and see how far you can move it away from the ejector.

If you do not pull the bolt as far forward as it will go, it will not show how much true wiggle room it has while passing by the ejector. It can be tough doing it being the recoil spring pushing the Carrier forward but with the actual bolt pulled forward, then line up the carrier/bolt with the ejector and see if the bolt can be moved away from the ejector.

Some people do this with the Recoil spring removed, but I've noticed the Carrier sits lower that way and it normally makes things appear better than they really are when removed.

When the bolt is all the way forward in the carrier when its brand new, it locks up tightly...After about 60-100 rounds, the Bolt develops ALOT of wobble in the outmost position in the carrier and can even be twisted outward a good amount when Carrier is removed (and inside the receiver).

So if your receiver rails are too wide, it can cause the bolt to move away from the ejector, especially the the mag is wobbly, the top round in the mag can push the bolt toward, and away from the ejector when the mag wobbles under recoil.

That being after a shot is fired, the Bolt is in it "foremost position" and it pulls out the empty casing while also pushing down the "Top" fresh round in the mag when cycling back and the round in the mag being either on the left, or right side of the mag, can manipulate the bolt and push it "toward" or "away" from the Ejector if the Bolt wobble is allowed to move around too much in the receiver.
View Quote

My 30 round Romanian mags do have a little more wobble than the Korean 20 round mag, which fits as tightly as my Hungarian Tankers do. I typically use a mag grip stance but when i was experienceing malfunctions I switched to gripping the hand guard but didn't change the fail rate. That would explain why the issue seemed to be mag related. But if it's excessive play between the rails and the bolt there's not much I can do to correct it, besides avoiding 'wobbly' mags. Next time out I'm gonna try a 30 round mag full of Yugo and another with GT and see if there's a real world difference.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:48:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My 30 round Romanian mags do have a little more wobble than the Korean 20 round mag, which fits as tightly as my Hungarian Tankers do. I typically use a mag grip stance but when i was experienceing malfunctions I switched to gripping the hand guard but didn't change the fail rate. That would explain why the issue seemed to be mag related. But if it's excessive play between the rails and the bolt there's not much I can do to correct it, besides avoiding 'wobbly' mags. Next time out I'm gonna try a 30 round mag full of Yugo and another with GT and see if there's a real world difference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

When my bolt wobble was able to move around drastically in the receiver, If I gripped the magazine while firing, I would not have any stovepipes/jams or issues at all (rather than some weak ejection.

While gripping the magazine, if I pushed the mag to the right while firing, it would push the bolt against the ejector I assume being they would all eject HIGH at a 3 o'clock angle.).

All of my bolts get sloppy in the outmost position of the carrier when the Cam lug/Bolt are all the way forward in the Bolt Cam Groove in the carrier that holds it in the carrier and allows it to twist (Especially my Arsenal SAM7 with 120rds), but its not able to move as far away from the Ejector (as in the Video below) that my old "GP-1975" from Century could.

Even my Arsenal AK Bolts get alot of wobble in the Bolt Stem hole, and the bolt will get droopy and you can hear it clanking up and down when hand cycling when the bolt hits/ or drops off from the hammer going forward and also you can twist the bolt outward in the forward most position in the carrier as if the Cam Lug rolls up the wall of the groove. The Bolts are tight when brand new though, not sure what loosens then up to where the Cam Lug can allow the Bolt to twist outward as if its rolling upward on the wall of the cutout notch in the carrier.

I've always assumed the Bolt Wobble is normal, especially after the first 100 or so rounds, rather than being stiff in the outmost position in the carrier like when "Brand New." I chalk it up to "Loose Tolerances" (Unless I just end up with sloppy AK's unluckily and do not realize it.)

It becomes a problem if the Bolt wobble in the Carrier can happen fully while inside of the receiver walls. (In my Opinion)

That's in my SAM7 but the receiver seems to be more in spec so it cant be moved as far from the ejector as the one in the video below but still something Im keeping an eye on after loosing my trust in an AK's "Reliability" after that POS Century rifle I had in the video below..

Check this out: (This was on a Century GP-1975 I had to sell due to the stacking/multiple sloppy issues, you can see how much play it had around the Ejector. My mag well way too wide, mag catch too low, Bolt extremely sloppy/wobbly and Ejector was short & too thin it seemed.) Non Matching Parts Kit also!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7blu4U46iI
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top