Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/3/2015 8:10:52 PM EDT
I picked up a WASR a few moths ago. The front sight was canted and the front sight drum was so lose it could be moved with very little pressure. I sent it back to century for repair. I got it back with front sight still canted a bit, it looked like they just cranked on the sight instead of doing it correctly. The front sight was dimpled to hold the drum in place. The drum seems to be fine and I can get the rifle to zero but the drum is pushed over nearly all the way. My concern is the front trunnion is canted slightly creating the need for the front sight to be moved over so far or is it because of the front sight canted?

No I'm not a recently banned member if inquiring minds would like to know.

</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
</a>" />
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really something i'd worry about too much, kind of chickenshit of them to dimple the thing, they should have replaced it. It's a fairly easy task to do yourself, obtain a new one, cut the old one off, press the new one on (this can be accomplished with Nictra's rubber mallet and a 14x1 nut).
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
...did they actually stake the sight drum?

My remedy would be to pull off the FSB and either replace it, or install it straight. I would use some method to ensure it is straight in line with the barrel and rear sight. Whenever I've done this, I put the post in the center of the FSB, then use a laser level to project a beam down the rifle, straight along the center of the barrel, between the notch of the rear sight, and then just move the FSB until the centered post also is in the middle of the beam.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Jesus, looks like Century hasn't changed a bit.  That's some piss poor work.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll dig through the bin, IF I have an extra FSB I'll send it you. That's some crap right there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
You just have a typical, twisted AK courtesy of being remanufactured in the USA by morons. It will have to be taken apart and re-re-manufactured. I have an 'AMD65' like that but instead of going through all that trouble I just put a red-dot on it. Instant gratification. Its faster and more accurate - what's not to like?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it wrong that the first thing I looked for after reading your title was your post-count?

Serious question, though. It doesn't really look like you have much of a cant to your rear sight block/front trunnion. Minimal, if any. I hate to use the term "in spec" because that's kind of a cop out, but yours does appear to be in spec.

I agree that the work Century did to "fix" you sight drum is lazy and unsatisfactory.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was unhappy about Century's "solution" to the drum. I think it was a re-used part, there at 2 different marks one the front of the drum were it was apparently zeroed. I have considered replacing the front sight myself but I've never tried something like that. I'm OK with things like that but I'm in no way professional, but looks like century isn't either. The rifle is still under warranty and I've thought about sending it back for round 2 and gamble once again.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is it wrong that the first thing I looked for after reading your title was your post-count?

Serious question, though. It doesn't really look like you have much of a cant to your rear sight block/front trunnion. Minimal, if any. I hate to use the term "in spec" because that's kind of a cop out, but yours does appear to be in spec.

I agree that the work Century did to "fix" you sight drum is lazy and unsatisfactory.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. After at least 2 accounts and more than likely 3, multiple threads on the same subject, never listening, and freaking out for no reason I would be suspicious as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You just have a typical, twisted AK courtesy of being remanufactured in the USA by morons.
View Quote

Please... I have a Saiga that was worse that that.100% made in the mother land.

OP. If you're in the Salt Lake area, I can help you with that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#10]
That "dimple fix".. I would not have been amused

That would annoy the shit out of me.  I'd have someone else replace the FSB.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#11]
OP i don't weigh in much on the AK side of things coz i'm not an expert but i wouldn't be happy with that "fix". It's probably functional but still i wouldn't be happy.

Also thank you for not being a skipper!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Jack?  Jack, is that you?  

I'd just put another sight on.  Sorry you had trouble.

I think someone on here said once, "If you look at an AK long enough (looking for straightness in everything), your eyes will go crossed."
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did the SAME thing.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I did the SAME thing.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did the SAME thing.  

He's not a skipper. His English is too good.
Good god we've coined a new phrase. "Skipper"
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did the SAME thing.  

Needs more Meme!

Skippers!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#17]
All in fun sir.  But I will not mention "he we do not speak of" again.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:47:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You just have a typical, twisted AK courtesy of being remanufactured in the USA by morons.

I always thought WASRs come into the country fully built and Century hogs out the magwells. And my Saiga had crooked sight and gas blocks before I replaced them with ones with accessory lugs and threads.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#19]
That would bug me, too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#20]
The offset sight IMHO is acceptable but annoying. But the dimple is not, I'd either replace the FSB or invest in a good mount & red dot. if you have to pay a smith to replace the FSB I'd go the mount & optic route first.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Technically they're right, the rifle would be accepted in the military with the sight post in that position after sighting in. Mine was all the way over against the ear. And putting a level on the parts you did proves nothing since sight ears are usually bent a little and the rear sight leaf can be wonky too. I like to make another check too; remove the bolt carrier and sight down the barrel from the front to see if the bore lines up with the center of the rear trunion - most don't.
Tip: after sighting in, turn your front sight 1/4 turn one way or the other so you're not looking at the base of the sight post broadsided. You'll get a better sight picture and that small adjustment won't make much difference.
Honestly, I don't keep up with things 'AK' anymore, so the newer rifles may very well come into the country fully assembled and just have to have the mag well done and some USA parts installed. Whatever, there's still no excuse for the twisted and misaligned parts/assemblies you see on these.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:18:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Jesus, looks like Century hasn't changed a bit.  That's some piss poor work.
View Quote

Really WTF? I thought for sure they turned the corner

They do stupid shit like like this knowing that this shitty work could pop up on any number of forums.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I always thought WASRs come into the country fully built and Century hogs out the magwells. And my Saiga had crooked sight and gas blocks before I replaced them with ones with accessory lugs and threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close. Century opens up the mag wells, replaces the gas piston, FCG, and muzzle device. Everything else, including the front sight post, is as it left the Cugir factory in Romania.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#24]
And this is the same Century that has people excited about a US-built AK?  Ugh.

OP, that is absolute crap.  I would be pissed if I were you.  Just replace the sight and be done with it.  The cant, while annoying, isn't an issue.  And yes, you will see sights canted just as bad or worse on Arsenals.  It's not that uncommon.  The only way to get a perfectly straight AK is to build it yourself or send it to an experienced builder.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Center the drum/front sight. . Knock the FSB pins out and try to align the sights. Sight rifle at the range using a plastic hammer to adjust alignment of the FSB. Once sighted in mark the position of the FSB.  Take home and redrill pin holes with a slightly bigger size. Ive used the next size drill bit as pins.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Center the drum/front sight. . Knock the FSB pins out and try to align the sights. Sight rifle at the range using a plastic hammer to adjust alignment of the FSB. Once sighted in mark the position of the FSB.  Take home and redrill pin holes with a slightly bigger size. Ive used the next size drill bit as pins.
View Quote
drum is loose too, or was....

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm rolling the dice again, I called Century and got a label to send the WASR back. I'll drop it off when I get out of class tonight. Heidi in the warranty department was pleasant and helpful, they do make you jump through some hoops but overall a good experience so far. I asked Century to replace the entire front sight tower and check the alignment of the barrel and front trunnion  I'll report back when I get the rifle back or have more information.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#28]
my wasr has a cant very similar to your pic OP.

I never sent it back to them for warranty work but I wish I would have

Even though it doesnt matter it bothers the hell out of me

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I picked up a WASR a few moths ago. The front sight was canted and the front sight drum was so lose it could be moved with very little pressure. I sent it back to century for repair. I got it back with front sight still canted a bit, it looked like they just cranked on the sight instead of doing it correctly. The front sight was dimpled to hold the drum in place. The drum seems to be fine and I can get the rifle to zero but the drum is pushed over nearly all the way. My concern is the front trunnion is canted slightly creating the need for the front sight to be moved over so far or is it because of the front sight canted?

View Quote

For God's sake, you bought a WASR... What did you expect, an Arsenal 107?
If you are throwing down 500 bucks for an assault rifle, at least nowadays, you won't get anything but a crap.
This isn't 2002.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If you are throwing down 500 bucks for an assault rifle, at least nowadays, you won't get anything but a crap.

This isn't 2002.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This isn't 2002.
Don't try so hard

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 2:13:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Cant believe they didnt just replace the drum and correct the cant.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This isn't 2002.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't 2002.

This isn't GD either, 15'er.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

This isn't 2002.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This isn't 2002.

Assault rifle, eh?

In my opinion, the biggest issue isn't that the gun came to the OP a little messed up.  If you buy enough guns, cars, tvs, or whatever, eventually you'll get one that ain't quite right.  That's life.  The real issue is that Century Arms actually thought this was an acceptable solution to the OP's problem.

To Dryflash, or any other MOD...seriously, can we get a Century Arms thread tacked at the top of the AK forum?  This kind of thing ought to be well known so new users don't make the same mistake.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:56:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Got the rifle back today. I dropped it off on March 23 making the turnaround time 4 weeks. It loos like they actually fixed the canted front sight this time but didn't do anything for the "repair" of the sight drum. This was my e-mail to customer service "I sent the rifle back once for a canted front sight and the front sight drum was so loose it could be moved with minimal pressure. Upon the return of the rifle I found the  front sight to still be canted and an unsatisfactory repair of the front sight  drum. I would like for the front sight tower to be completely replaced and made sure that it is straight. If possible I would also like the straightness of the barrel and front trunnion to be inspected. Thanks." I didn't feel that was an unreasonable request.

Looking at the notes they sent back all it says is "front sight canted/not happy w/repair of the drum." I don't know who decided to omit the replace the front sight tower part.

I'm just really frustrated right now. I'm not sure if I call them and see if third times the charm or just say screw it and live with it or fix it myself. Functionally its probably fine but what the hell century?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 4:06:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Got the rifle back today. I dropped it off on March 23 making the turnaround time 4 weeks. It loos like they actually fixed the canted front sight this time but didn't do anything for the "repair" of the sight drum. This was my e-mail to customer service "I sent the rifle back once for a canted front sight and the front sight drum was so loose it could be moved with minimal pressure. Upon the return of the rifle I found the  front sight to still be canted and an unsatisfactory repair of the front sight  drum. I would like for the front sight tower to be completely replaced and made sure that it is straight. If possible I would also like the straightness of the barrel and front trunnion to be inspected. Thanks." I didn't feel that was an unreasonable request.

Looking at the notes they sent back all it says is "front sight canted/not happy w/repair of the drum." I don't know who decided to omit the replace the front sight tower part.

I'm just really frustrated right now. I'm not sure if I call them and see if third times the charm or just say screw it and live with it or fix it myself. Functionally its probably fine but what the hell century?
View Quote

That sucks.  Where in Utah are you?  If you're close to me and you can get a FSB I can put it on for you, or weld over the punch marks and smooth them back out flat.  No charge, except  parts.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Why not replace both front sight and gas block with venom or kreb gas block front sight combo part? If that's something you have wanted to do, might as well do that?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Got the rifle back today. I dropped it off on March 23 making the turnaround time 4 weeks. It loos like they actually fixed the canted front sight this time but didn't do anything for the "repair" of the sight drum. This was my e-mail to customer service "I sent the rifle back once for a canted front sight and the front sight drum was so loose it could be moved with minimal pressure. Upon the return of the rifle I found the front sight to still be canted and an unsatisfactory repair of the front sight drum. I would like for the front sight tower to be completely replaced and made sure that it is straight. If possible I would also like the straightness of the barrel and front trunnion to be inspected. Thanks." I didn't feel that was an unreasonable request.

View Quote

Make sure you tell people about your experience.  I would like a CAI thread tacked at the top of this forum.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Range Report

Zeroed at 25 yards, this was the result.

" />

" />

" />

The front sight looks to be level. Would pushing the sight this far over indicate the trunnion is crooked?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Your gas block could be off giving you that illusion your front sight is out of alignment (or properly aligned), your front sight should be level to your front trunion
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Your gas block could be off giving you that illusion your front sight is out of alignment (or properly aligned), your front sight should be level to your front trunion
View Quote

this is probably the case, and the CAI "techs" may have just lined up the FSB with the GB and called it good.

If the RSB is not obviously canted, you can use it as a reference with a straight edge that is at least as long as the full barrel assembly.. Place the straight edge against the flat side of the RSB and rest it on the trunnion ear. If you can clamp it down, even better. Then use a caliper to measure the gap between the straight edge and the GB and FSB. Flip the straight edge over to the other side of the RSB and repeat.  Make sure to measure at the same height on both sides of the blocks to eliminate taper in the component castings affecting the measurement.

This will give you an actual readout of how far off each component is. I have aligned barrel components using this method and they turn out spot-on.

You can also use the laser level method but I've always found that sort of hard to read, and things can still look straight with this method if the GB and FSB are equally canted.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:16:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Perhaps these little guys could be a contributing factor

Not fully crushed rivet
</a>" />

Opposite side
</a>" />

Not really sure I did that right but it looked pretty straight
" />
</a>" />

Trunnion and receiver looked square
</a>" />
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#43]
OP, the method you used during the original post is how I level my sights and it works pretty damn well, I can usually get the front sight dead on to the rear sight in the first shot with minimal adjustment. IMHO, guys have been putting these together with VERY minimal tools for many years and they are not always perfect, it is an AK and they are shooters not safe queens. If it hits the target where you want just run it.

The front sight does not need to be perfectly aligned as long as you are on target and can get the proper windage out of the sight where it is mounted. In all honetsy I don't think the problem lies in your trunnion or FSB, personally I think your gas block is off and I don't think the rivets would cause you issues.

It looks like you have 3 options;

1. leave the front sight post uncentered and run it like a raped ape
2. Move the FSB so the front sight post is centered and deal with a canted looking FSB
3. Move FSB and gas block so all of it looks inline.

ETA:
Option 4 complain to CAI until you get a replacement rifle but to me it sounds like you have not been happy with this rifle since the begining.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I just got off the phone with Century and they will be replacing the rifle. Honestly I was surprised how good they were about it, perhaps after 2 "repairs" they may be a bit more sympathetic. I have to say for all the headaches the rifle has caused customer service has been helpful whenever I have called. Thanks for all your help guys.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 1:32:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Update

It has been a few weeks but I finally got the replacement rifle today. It is a 2015 produced rifle and has century's new RAK-1 trigger, it has a 2-stage feel that I actually like. It is a bit odd that the trigger is a double hook but the receiver is only cut for a single hook, I assume they worked it out so the trigger group works in all rifles. The rifle looks good and looks straight to my eye. I did notice one of the rivets on the trigger guard wasn't fully seated but I doubt it will be any problem.

First 3 rounds at 25 yards.

I think this one is a winner. Wearing some Bulgarian AK-74 furniture.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Looks good OP! glad theres a good outcome here.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Can u take pics of that new trigger group? Interested and see what it looks like?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Can u take pics of that new trigger group? Interested and see what it looks like?
View Quote

I can, but I did notice Yeager just did a video on it.

And I can be lazy and barrow a pic from Apex

I can pull mine out if you want a different shot. Interestingly my hammer spring is the traditional braided wire spring.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top