Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/3/2015 12:04:42 PM EDT
Both black furniture, similar price. I like the fact that the akm247 has a nitrited barrel, very rust resistant and hard. I guess the Yugo is a bit heavier with the rpk receiver and general heavier parts. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Run from IO, run far away.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yugo.

Stay away from IO for now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yugo.

Stay away from IO for now life.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Run from IO, run far away.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm happy with my IO M214.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Yugo....IO still has ALOT to prove even with their new facility etc...they have a stigma attached to them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]
From everything I've read lately, seems like the consensus would definitely be that the Yugo is much more likely to be a satisfactory rifle than an I.O.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#8]
M70B1.....no question. Even forgetting about IO build "quality", the M70 is a cool, authentic (with wood furniture), albeit heavy, reproduction of a military battle rifle. And while Century has had their share of whiffs, they're a considerable step up from IO in the build department. I have a Century-built M70AB2 that is straight as an arrow, beautifully finished, and runs like a freight train.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Is the Yugo 922r compliant?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn't it have to be to be legally sold?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on who's selling it, but from the factory they are.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:02:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Stay away from I.O

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150747

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-798378.html

Google the company and you will get many more examples.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#13]
yugo m70b1 is good.

Yugoslavian AK-47 rifles model M70B1, with black synthetic furniture, new US made RPK style receiver, de-activated flip up night sights, grenade sight, bayonet lug, and removable slant cut muzzle brake. Comes with one magazine. Accepts all standard AK mags. 7.62x39 caliber. This firearm was assembled by Century Arms using both new US made parts and original surplus parts. May or may not include cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an IO side folder that was made after they relocated to Palm Bay, Florida.  It was built with a Polish parts kit.  I have had zero problems with it.  I don't know if I got lucky or if quality improved after IO moved to the GunShine state.  Just my .02.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not an imported rifle. It's imported into the country as a de-milled parts kit and assembled here on a U.S. receiver and barrel. 922r doesn't apply.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome, thanks.  That definitely puts it on the list for me.

Quoted:

It's not an imported rifle. It's imported into the country as a de-milled parts kit and assembled here on a U.S. receiver and barrel. 922r doesn't apply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I misspoke. I meant to say that 922r won't be an issue. With US receiver, barrel, furniture, and FCG, you have more than enough US parts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I am going to have to disagree with what has been posted so far as I have learned from the folks on here hawking the new Century guns. Just because IO has turned out turd after turd after turd that means we should immediately give IO the benefit of the doubt and OP should snap one of the AKM247's up. It is made in the USA by a company with no institutional knowledge of how to make them  and a long history of screwing up products so this one is going to be different. Buy, buy, buy.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am going to have to disagree with what has been posted so far as I have learned from the folks on here hawking the new Century guns. Just because IO has turned out turd after turd after turd that means we should immediately give IO the benefit of the doubt and OP should snap one of the AKM247's up. It is made in the USA by a company with no institutional knowledge of how to make them  and a long history of screwing up products so this one is going to be different. Buy, buy, buy.
View Quote

No one is saying IO is the greatest AK on the planet.  I'm just relating my positive experience with mine.  Maybe the past is the past.  Besides, Century hasn't always had a sterling reputation over the years.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:59:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I have returned a Century firearms for warranty.  They sent me a UPS label and I had the AK back in three to four weeks with the problem fixed.  I purchased a Vepr IV last summer from their retail company, Royal Tiger.  It was the day of the Russian sanctions.  They then sent an email ad advertising to get them ASAP.  They then sent an email ad stating that they increased the price and only a few were left.  Then then canceled all their orders to sell the rifles on gunbroker.  If that is their short sighted customer service.  I definitely wouldn't want to deal with their warranty.  They did promise to make the situation right. But I guess they forgot and are hoping we do too.  It would have to be a really cool rifle with no other options before I would give them another chance.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:14:08 AM EDT
[#22]
M70b is crap...  Stay the hell away from anything century builds in house. They import NPap and OPAP models that are factory, those are the ones to get.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles/ak-47-rifles/zastava-ak-47-m70b1-pap-7-62x39mm-rifles-w-2-hi-cap-mags-detail.html
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
M70b is crap...  Stay the hell away from anything century builds in house. They import NPap and OPAP models that are factory, those are the ones to get.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ak-47-74-rifles/ak-47-rifles/zastava-ak-47-m70b1-pap-7-62x39mm-rifles-w-2-hi-cap-mags-detail.html
View Quote

I'm fairly new to AKs and have been considering a Century M70b1.  I've done a fair amount of research and read / watched every review (I also have a thread below on the M70b1) that I could find.  I have yet to see a negative comment on this model.  Actually, just about all are very positive and have stated that it's Century's best build. So I'm curious to hear about your experiences and why you feel it's "crap"?  Is this just a general opinion about Century or do you actually have an M70b1 that you're not happy with?

Btw...I agree that the NPap is a nice factory built rifle and may get one of those at some point as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is the deal, anything built by century is a crap shoot. I worked for a dealer and they were nothing but a pita for getting things fixed. Century has spent like 20+ years messing up production of rifles and ripping people off, so putting trust in them to build it right is like asking fat kid to not eat at buffet.  The Opap is new production factory built rifle (mostly M70) missing some of the military bits for import purposes.  It is a much better all around built rifle on a factory receiver and factory cfh barrel. You would be hard pressed to get any of those parts for $100 to swap which if I recall is the price difference between the OPAP and M70b1 (Century built) . Zestava is still building military issue rifles . Not sure why anyone would get a US made or built AK when there are good factory imports around for the same or just a bit more.  Having also built and owned 20-30 AK's , there is a difference. New WSAR imports are great and century built GP63s were total junk.

Quoted:

I'm fairly new to AKs and have been considering a Century M70b1.  I've done a fair amount of research and read / watched every review (I also have a thread below on the M70b1) that I could find.  I have yet to see a negative comment on this model.  Actually, just about all are very positive and have stated that it's Century's best build. So I'm curious to hear about your experiences and why you feel it's "crap"?  Is this just a general opinion about Century or do you actually have an M70b1 that you're not happy with?

Btw...I agree that the NPap is a nice factory built rifle and may get one of those at some point as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No one is saying IO is the greatest AK on the planet.  I'm just relating my positive experience with mine.  Maybe the past is the past.  Besides, Century hasn't always had a sterling reputation over the years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you considered the free market approach?  Cast your vote with your dollars.  Everyone agrees I.O. is terrible.  The simple solution is to encourage people to stop spending money with them.  This will accelerate their going out of business.  

Once they're gone there will be one less "bad" vendor, leaving room for more "good" vendors to prosper and provide us with the firearms we love.

The free market only works when people utilize all its features.  Punish the bad, reward the good.  This has the natural, long term effect of promoting a better marketplace.

As to the company moving locations, it will still be Uli Wiegand and his partner.  After all they've done to endanger people (InterOrdnance Reviews @ AK Files ) moving locations will change how they behave?

You can't put a good edge on bad steel.

ETA: fixed websearch keywords.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#26]
My M70b1 is GTG! People who tell you they are crap don't know what there talking about. The IO rifle IS Crap!

This one has been going strong with over 5K rounds, flawless.

HDH.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

My M70B1 is GTG! People who tell you they are crap don't know what there talking about.

View Quote

Correct.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:02:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm not a fan of Yugoslavian AKs as they don't have chrome bores and parts are proprietary.

That being said, I'd buy a truckload of them before I bought anything from I.O.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top