Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2015 12:16:50 AM EDT
I've been debating lately on hacking the barrel down on my 5.45 Saiga and I'm wondering if anyone has any input as to if I will run into troubles with shorter barrel length and the twist rate on it.

I know Krinks have different twist rates than rifles... so there should be a reason for this right? Could I expect decent accuracy if I cut the barrel on a Saiga back to the gas block and run a booster to ensure it cycles? Would it suffer a huge loss?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:58:53 AM EDT
[#1]
There was some concern about the twist rate on Arsenal's SLR104-5* series rifles when they first came out. People thought that the twist was too slow to stabilize when cut to Krink length. It's been awhile now and I haven't heard anyone complaining about keyholes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was some concern about the twist rate on Arsenal's SLR104-5* series rifles when they first came out. People thought that the twist was too slow to stabilize when cut to Krink length. It's been awhile now and I haven't heard anyone complaining about keyholes.
View Quote

This is where I am too. I remember hearing concerns about its, but not actual complaints or explanations after the initial wonderings. I suppose that's a good sign.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:00:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Tons have cut, no keyholes yet!! Lol, only on keymod.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Those last sbr ready krinks that arsenal put out last year seem to have sbr'd ok, not sure if saigas use the same barrels/ ROT though.
Isn't it typically 1:7.87 or 1:8?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright well I've decided to do it. As for the process... should I just hacksaw the damn thing off and clean up, or should I chuck it in the lathe and do all the cutting work there? I only ask because the lathe I have access to is at my parents' place.

Also, I'm debating on pushing the whole gas block back too... anyone have any insight onto how difficult it is to drill a gas port in the barrel? Seems straight forward right? What about diameter?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I chopped my 104UR barrel with a hacksaw(no issues, shoots just fine).  It was a pain in the ass.. took a while and a lot of effort.  If I ever do that again, I will probably go use my dads bandsaw.

If I were you, I'd use the lathe if it isn't a long drive or anything to get to.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top