Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/18/2014 8:53:57 PM EDT
I'm trying to collect some info and get some details on various grips.  All I have really used so far are the magpul Ak grip and the Hogue grip. The angle on these are completely different as well as the texture ( I know magpul has a rubber style grip that was just released).

1.  What grip do you prefer and why?
2.  Is it polymer or rubber?
3.  Is the grip angle more vertical like the Hogue or angled like the Magpul?
4.  Would you say it is thin, normal thickness, or thick?

So far:

Angled grips:
Magpul Maid- rubber (newly released) - normal thickness
Magpul Maid- polymer- normal thickness

Less angled:
Hogue - rubber- thick

Magpul:

Hogue:
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My two preferences, are the ATI ergo-style grip, and the MD arms Molot-style grip. The MD grip is awesome for large hands, and the ATI grip is almost identical to the G27 style AR grip. Most AK grips are too short for my hands, don't necessarily need a fat grip, just needs to be long enough so my palm isn't hanging off the end, both grips accomplish this, the ATI just barely, the MD with room to spare. Factory Molot grips are nice too, they just don't have the texture the MD grip has, and the US grip is an extra 922r part.

ETA: The MD arms grip is dirt cheap too, like 12 bucks last time I bought one.

ATI:

MD arms:

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I like the grips the commie engineers designed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#3]
For an imported rifle, I will usually always go with the "correct" grip. For a shooter, I prefer the Hogue grip. Larger grips fit my hands well, and the Houge offers the best all-around comfort and feel.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#4]

I either stick with factory or go with Hogue. The Hogue rubber grip is pretty awesome.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#5]
1. I prefer Yugo surplus grips. Mostly because they're authentic looking, but also because I've got a ton of them and I've  never felt the need to switch to anything else. They're simple and fit my hand well. I don't know that I'd put one on a non-Yugo rifle, but I've never strayed from authentic parts.

2. Very simple polymer design.

3. Angled.

4. Thicker than standard AK/AKM but thinner than most aftermarket.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#6]
No mention of the Tango Down / US Palm yet. I have one on my Arsenal that seems to work ok for me. I'd prefer a straighter, less angled grip, but the factory grip is too slim for my preference, plus between the rear trunion reinforcement and the Echo93 sling adapter I need a longer grip screw to hold it all together.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Houge for me since you asked. .
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the Polish AK grips, they are a bit thicker and fit my hand better than the popsicle standard AK grips and they have a nice marble color pattern to them.

The thicker RPK grips are my 2nd favorite.

I am trying out a Magpul grip on my Verp 54r and like it so far.Also testing a US Palm grip.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I have US Palm and Polish bakelite grips on my rifles.  Magpul isn't a bad unit.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Rolling the magpul on my vepr,  really like it.  Rolling the stock commie on my slr-107, also like it
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:19:19 AM EDT
[#11]
i've tried a lot of different ones

the US Palm is the best
followed by the Magpul

now if they could combine those and have the feel of the hogue...
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:22:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the grip that I modified the best out of any AK grip I've tried.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the Polish AK grips, they are a bit thicker and fit my hand better than the popsicle standard AK grips and they have a nice marble color pattern to them.
View Quote

+1 for the Polish grip, though I'm rocking the Ronin black polymer copy. For reference I have medium sized hands. I think the size of the Romanian grip feels pretty good in the naked hand and with light gloves on, but it feels a bit too thick with winter gloves on. The Polish grip is the jack-of-all-trades grip for me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I like several grips. In no particular order:

Magpul (non rubber)
ERGO new gen hard polymer - very vertical
Ronin Polish
Hogue
MD Arms Molot
Ronin Yugo M70
Bulgarian SAW
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the traditional AK grip just fine but really enjoy the fat Izhmash/Molot style grips too. The fatter grip is more comfortable by far but I'm not sold on it completely with gloves or doing dynamic shooting. From the bench I do really like them though

Z
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the Hogue grip by a good amount.  I have them on almost all my AKs. MD arms Molot clone is a nice grip also.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#17]
(Plastic)
US Palm

Bulgarian ARM-9

Magpul MIAD with large backstrap

All have a similar angle (I think), but I prefer larger grips that force your hand up towards the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the US Palm most, 2nd would be Magpul.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Surplus factory grip or maybe a Yugo wood for me.

The factory grips usually end up wrapped with some of that Coban wrap to make them a bit fatter. Same with the vert grip on my Romy dong. Makes it more grippy too, and when it gets too torn up/dirty, you just unwrap it and throw some new on there, no messy adhesive or anything.

I do like the fatter Yugo style wood grips though. They're pretty comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#20]
The US Palm has a weak transition on the top, between your hand and the receiver in my opinion.  The Magpul nailed it, as far as I'm concerned.  If you are not a traditionalist, anyway.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Ronin Polish grip is my favorite.

I've also tried the standard, US Palm, Bulgarian RPK grip, and the Russian Molot.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I've tried the standard, Hogue, U.S. Palm and Magpul grips. I prefer the Magpul grip.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I drink the Magpul cool aide!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Not cold enough in Texas or Louisiana to shoot with winter gloves, my commie grips get switched for Magpul.  I still really dig a classic bakelite grip in the looks department though!
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Of the surplus grips I've used I like the AMD-65 grip. I just ordered a Magpul so I'm going to try that soon too.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#26]
US Palm Plastic is my preferred grip. I like the way it naturally keeps your hand near the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
(Plastic)
US Palm
https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f099844d0e354c7ab50c55a966be6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product/xuspakbg2.jpg

Bulgarian ARM-9
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/briansmithwins/safetyinfiredetail.jpg

Magpul MIAD with large backstrap

All have a similar angle (I think), but I prefer larger grips that force your hand up towards the receiver.
View Quote

I like the ARM grip as well, good job with modifying it to fit the plate.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I have tried standard, yugo plastic, chinese thick wooden, AMD 65,  bulgarian saw, magpul, US palm. My favorite is US palm then bulgarian saw then chinese thick wood. I have large hands and find those to be the best for me comfort wise. I find the standard grip ok but just like the others better. I would like to try a polish and molot sometime.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have tried standard, yugo plastic, chinese thick wooden, AMD 65,  bulgarian saw, magpul, US palm. My favorite is US palm then bulgarian saw then chinese thick wood. I have large hands and find those to be the best for me comfort wise. I find the standard grip ok but just like the others better. I would like to try a polish and molot sometime.
View Quote

If you have big hands you will LOVE the Molot grip, it doesn't look quite as cool as some other grips, but comfort and control are just outstanding, especially on a heavier RPK type rifle like a Vepr or Opap etc.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#30]
US Palm on my SLR-107.  The gun has a metal plate on the bottom of the receiver that would rub the web between my trigger finger and thumb.  The US Palm AK-BG covers the plate nicely.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Magpul, unless you got the traditional AK theme going on
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Tapco Saw grip on mine and I love it.... Its a larger grip which fits my meat hooks alot better than the grip that came on the gun....

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Magpul. Makes the transition from AR to AK easier for me incase I ever have to switch on the fly.

Anyone know if the AK+ grip goes over the welded metal on side folders?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Magpul. Makes the transition from AR to AK easier for me incase I ever have to switch on the fly.

Anyone know if the AK+ grip goes over the welded metal on side folders?
View Quote

I believe the AK+ is about the same it just has the rubberized exterior. If someone has tried this one and it does fit over the grip re-inforcement plate I would like to know also.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a Tapco Saw grip on mine and I love it.... Its a larger grip which fits my meat hooks alot better than the grip that came on the gun....

View Quote

I have one Krebs modified that came with my KTR 03. I must say I really like it as well. Tapco does make a few good things.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:06:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Magpul
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:05:50 AM EDT
[#37]
I tried the Molot grip from MD Arms ,and I am very pleased. Most other AK grips are too short for comfort imho. Plus the MD grip was only $9 or so.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I like the Magpul best, I prefer polymer grips vs. rubber overmolded grips.  I like the storage ability for the MAID cores as well.

Tiny AK peg grips are terrible.

Some of the countries/factories make peg grips that are larger and acceptable; I have a polish AKM kit that came with a bakalite grip that is large enough to be acceptable.

The Russian laminated wood grips are pretty good too for a traditional look.

Not a fan of the US palm grips, the angle is uncomfortable when reloading or holding the gun muzzle up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:19:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top