Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/16/2014 11:28:39 PM EDT
So I was able to get the front pin off the front sight block on my saiga 545 they are not dimpled just pinned. the rear pin i cannot get to budge and i dont want to mess anything up by beating on the pin. these are tough rifles so i have the rifle supported wear on the front sight is taking the bearing force. should i just hit it harder or what. will i damge the barrel but hitting this pin.

Damage anything; ya right these are aks..dumb question but I am new and I appriciate anyones time to help me.
Heat gun help?

Edit to remove curse words in thread title.

Site owner does not want a google search for curse words to lead to his (this) site.

If you want to curse in a post, take it to GD or the Pit.

This is a technical forum, so keep language here family friendly. dryflash3
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:56:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Please help I am in the middle of the front end conversion and am stopped until i figure out how to get this damn pin out (the rear pin on fsb)
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#2]
you will need a shop press to remove the pins if they are that tight, you will also need a shop press to remove the FSB

ETA: see this thread for FSB removal, it's about removal of a mak90 FSB but same idea. link
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#3]
You just have to keep at it. It will eventually come out. You can try from the other side too, but I'm sure you have already done that. All else fails, drop some penetrating oil on it and let it sit. That might help.

I have had one or 2 over the years that just would not budge until I cut the fsb off. If you go this route with a dremel, go slow so as to not cut into the barrel. I ran a line from front of site block to rear, in line with barrel.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You just have to keep at it. It will eventually come out. You can try from the other side too, but I'm sure you have already done that. All else fails, drop some penetrating oil on it and let it sit. That might help.

View Quote

I have had one or 2 over the years that just would not budge until I cut the fsb off. If you go this route with a dremel, go slow so as to not cut into the barrel. I ran a line from front of site block to rear, in line with barrel.
This!  I got impatient and cut into my Saiga barrel a little.  It doesn't affect anything, but it irritates me that my own impatience caused it.  Luckily, the new FSB covers it up...

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Make sure everything is fully supported, and clamp it all down to a solid table to keep it from bouncing around.

Use a thick punch tapered to a point, and smack with a bfh. I've never had one that couldn't be popped out once everything is fully secured and supported.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#6]
i used a 5/8 thick peice of ply wood to put the front sight on and a rag on my wooden floor in shed and placed receiver on rag that way it was pretty level. i only hit the rear pin but pretty hard, i could of hit harder. could his damage the receiver bouncing on the rag or bend the barrel from hitting the pin? im sorry that is some dumb shit questions but i am just curious.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#7]
VERY IMPORTANT: put the whole thing in the freezer for a few hours before trying to move pins, soak first with penetrating oil.

Cold contracts metal, heat expands it. Freeze it and they'll move unless they are just so rust-welded in they need to be cut.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you using and lubricant, WD-40 or PB blaster? personally I recomend kroil for this type of job,it's expensive as hell but REALLY works.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i used a 5/8 thick peice of ply wood to put the front sight on and a rag on my wooden floor in shed and placed receiver on rag that way it was pretty level. i only hit the rear pin but pretty hard, i could of hit harder. could his damage the receiver bouncing on the rag or bend the barrel from hitting the pin? im sorry that is some dumb shit questions but i am just curious.
View Quote

Support it in front and behind where you're hitting. Then clamp the whole thing down so it can't move.  I've got a bunch of C clamps from Harbor Frieght that I bought for stuff like this.

You just have to support everything so you don't bend the barrel.

ETA, the freezer trick usually works pretty good for the bigger components, such as a tight FSB, trunnion, or gas block. I haven't had much luck getting the freezer to make a noticeable difference on those 3mm pins.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Find someone local to you with a 12-ton shop press and just press it out. Less likely to damage anything. Just make sure the FSB is properly supported so that the force of the press is on the pin and not the barrel or FSB. Even the most stubborn pins tend to slide out with 12T of steady pressure on them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to drill one out a while ago. It would not come out.   Just used a bit smaller in diameter then the pin and drilled through the center of the pin.  The remains of the pin tapped out easily after that.  Just be sure to drill straight and not go into the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I had to drill one out a while ago. It would not come out.   Just used a bit smaller in diameter then the pin and drilled through the center of the pin.  The remains of the pin tapped out easily after that.  Just be sure to drill straight and not go into the barrel.
View Quote
Another good option

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I was planning on using the same pin
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Support it in front and behind where you're hitting. Then clamp the whole thing down so it can't move.  I've got a bunch of C clamps from Harbor Frieght that I bought for stuff like this.

ETA, the freezer trick usually works pretty good for the bigger components, such as a tight FSB, trunnion, or gas block. I haven't had much luck getting the freezer to make a noticeable difference on those 3mm pins.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just hit the pin only and the rifle was supported. if you were to lay urs on the ground theres about the 5/8 thickness of space between the floor and the fsb. so thats what i used then just put a rag under the receiver so it wouldnt scratch. do you think its possible to bend the barrel by hitting out one of those pins with a hammer?

I wasn't hitting it as hard as I could either
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I've never bent a barrel when using a punch and hammer. Never bent a barrel ever, but definitely not with a hammer and punch.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I just hit the pin only and the rifle was supported. if you were to lay urs on the ground theres about the 5/8 thickness of space between the floor and the fsb. so thats what i used then just put a rag under the receiver so it wouldnt scratch. do you think its possible to bend the barrel by hitting out one of those pins with a hammer?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think if you support the barrel at one location and have the reciever clamped down, you could. I would recommend supporting the barrel right behind the FSB, and right in front of it. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. I've stuck a couple crescent wrenches under there as supports. Just needs to be something solid to transfer the loading of the strike to your firm work surface.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#17]
The entire gun was lying on plywood so it was flat. rag under the receiver, plywood under fsb to make it flat then i hit the punch a couple times on the rear pin of fsb.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#18]
If your using a punch...stop now.  Get a nail set for this task.  It will come out pretty easily.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:45:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Liquid wrench and heat gun and the right sized punch. Brace the FSB against a block and wack it from left to right, looking from the rear. If it won't come out you can always cut the block. It's worthless anyway. Putting the rifle in the freezer and heating the new FSB in the oven to 400 degrees is helpful in getting the new block on. I don't know about feezing the rifle to get the old block off, seems counter intuitive.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Ok I am sorry but my original quewtion was never answered.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#22]
About bending anything in the way that i did  it

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I doubt you will bend anything. AKs are pretty stout and have a lot of flex in them when being fired anyway. Just think before you act, and you should be gtg.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:37:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Chances of you bending a barrel with a hammer and punch seem almost impossible.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok sounds good.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Let me get this straight. You're doing this on the floor of your shed? It's probably not supported completely so you're losing energy as you hit the pins. If you're taking the time to punch it out rather than cutting, it's worth it to do it right.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#27]
OP, you seem familiar.

Don't do that in this technical forum. This is not GD. dryflash3
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#28]
We got a naked barrel yet?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, the A2 sight pins on my S&W MP15 took FOREVER to get out. I had the barrel clamped down to my workbench with my 'custom' barrel vise, and beat the hell out of the pins until they came out. Took a steal punch and 2# hammer to finally pop them out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:38:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This, the A2 sight pins on my S&W MP15 took FOREVER to get out. I had the barrel clamped down to my workbench with my 'custom' barrel vise, and beat the hell out of the pins until they came out. Took a steal punch and 2# hammer to finally pop them out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny you should mention the MP15. Had a conversation with a local gunsmith and he mentioned that S&W puts their pins in from the opposite side.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Funny you should mention the MP15. Had a conversation with a local gunsmith and he mentioned that S&W puts their pins in from the opposite side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Yes they do
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I would like to apologize to you all and dryflash. sorry for the language. and i test fired it yestarday no bent barrel.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I would like to apologize to you all and dryflash. sorry for the language. and i test fired it yestarday no bent barrel.
View Quote
does that mean you were successful? Did I miss it?

pics man!!!

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:19:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I never got the pin out I just gave up. I wanna do it right and I want some instructions on how to do it without a press. Please help, I would be so happy to get this front end conversion done. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#36]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/152759_SAIGA_full_conversion_tutorial.html

just looked that over again and it won't really help too much. That rifle had the dimpled GB and FSB.

I have multiple punches. I have a stout tapperd punch that use to start the pin. Once it gets moving I use the smaller punch that will push it all the way through.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I never got the pin out I just gave up. I wanna do it right and I want some instructions on how to do it without a press. Please help, I would be so happy to get this front end conversion done. Thank you.
View Quote

Did you try freezing it?

I'm telling you, i've done 3 this year alone, and not had a bit of trouble with any of them.

As far as what to rest the barrel/FSB on while you tap pins, a used hockey puck with a hole drilled in the middle works great, and you won't leave any scars. They sell them used cheap on eBay, I use them on 4-wheel drives to replace worn out body mounts so I always have a few laying around. I've never even had to clamp a rifle in a vise to get the pins out, they slide right out. And most of the time if well-frozen, the FSB moves pretty easily too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:40:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Ok so I have all my punches and tools and stuff. I got all the pins out, now without using a press can i use a 2x4 block of wood and a hammer to beat of the front sight and gas blco? once they are off and I am putting on the new gas block and fsb, can i adjust them if they arent straight. do i put the receiver in a vice to beat on and off the sight and gas block? what is the best and safest way to do this
;
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#39]
yes you can. When reinstalling, I usually just hold the receiver. You can use grease, oil, CLP, or even anti-seize to keep the parts from sticking. I use a rubber mallet to align everything after installed. Usually little taps at a time. You can check my tutorial I linked earlier to see hoe I did mine.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top