Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 12:35:07 PM EDT
Just wondering what you guys would recommend. Pretty sure I'll be going with an Arsenal Sam7... But undecided about which stock. I remember on a regular fixed stock AK having to just float my head behind the rifle since it was so hard to get a cheek weld.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just wondering what you guys would recommend. Pretty sure I'll be going with an Arsenal Sam7... But undecided about which stock. I remember on a regular fixed stock AK having to just float my head behind the rifle since it was so hard to get a cheek weld.
View Quote

I can get a cheek weld on a regular AK stock. I have used a polish side folder and have an underfolder. There really isn't any cheek weld on those. I can shoot them okay, but if put on a timer, I am faster with a regular AK stock or one that has an adapter for an AR15 stock.

If you can only have one, get the arsenal polymer sidefolder.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the sidefolders. However, I definitely think the underfolders look better on a 7.62 rifle. If you cant get a decent cheekweld on a fixed stock, that pretty much eliminates the underfolder in my opinion. You might be better of getting a fixed stock and using an m4 stock adapter as mentioned by the previous poster.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It's called "jaw weld", get used to it on AKs; I put some foam pipe insulation tubing over the upper tube on mine to make it comfy for my jaw bone.
Why not go for the AK 100 series polymer sidefolder?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
In this order:
1) AK100 series side folder;
2) AK74 triangle side folder;
3) Under folder;
4) Beryl, Bonesteel, Galil, side folder;
5) Wire side folder;
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In this order:
1) AK100 series side folder;
2) AK74 triangle side folder;
3) Under folder;
4) Beryl, Bonesteel, Galil, side folder;
5) Wire side folder;
View Quote

I agree with this order.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Side
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Underfolders look better until they are shot. Then you will want a side folder
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#9]
side everyday
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
side everyday
View Quote

Quoted for Truth
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:28:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted for Truth
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
side everyday

Quoted for Truth

Quoted for more truth. I've owned underfolders and while cool, they suuuuuuuck for cheek weld. Side folders every day and underfolders never.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted for more truth. I've owned underfolders and while cool, they suuuuuuuck for cheek weld. Side folders every day and underfolders never.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
side everyday

Quoted for Truth

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I've owned every type of folding variant, and can say that side folders are superior. If you want a milled Bulgarian, the SAM7SF is the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Absolutely sidefolder- stronger and more ergonomic.

The only reason the underfolder persists is the "chicks dig it" appearance and the fact it is slightly more compact when folded.  Otherwise the sidefolder is better in every way.
View Quote

Yep, i never "got" the underfolder after shooting it.  The chicks are very often ugly and hairy... so no real net gain.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Id go side folder for sure
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Triangle folding stock
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Side folder trumps all others

The worst is the AMD 65
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Haha that's as conclusive as I've ever seen in a thread. Going to go with the SAM7SF!
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Goin against the trend. Love my uf's
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:53:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Side folder trumps all others

The worst is the AMD 65
View Quote

Get this.

Makes a no cheek weld, difficult to shoot rifle into a decent cheek weld, pleasant to shoot rifle.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:07:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had both the SAM-7SF and the SAS M-7 (older version of the SAM-7UF).  Get the underfolder. The right side folder on the SF is nice but the small butt plate and added LOP due to the folding mechanism at the back of the stock make it uncomfortable. The underfolder is easy to get used to and the wider butt plate profile distributes the recoil better on your shoulder. Just one mans opinion. Try before you buy if possible to see what suits you the best. I will say that the SAM-7UF is downright sexy though and the perceived recoil and controllability was much better.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I Really like my sam7 UF too.
I was sitting on the fence about buying a "game changer" sam7 SF when the sam7 UF came out.
I really wasnt liking the LoP on the SF, plus not into the extra length of the ak100 style front end.
When they released the UF, I bought one right away. First milled underfolder imported in 28 years,
Great compact, accurate ak, very little muzzle climb.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:44:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Is the rifle for collection/recreation, or intended to be able to fulfill a primarially serious role?

If its primarially for collection and recreation, then I'd go with the underfolder. It's more classical in appearance, its more iconic. Everyone knows what it is and everyone loves playing with it. That said, the cheekweld while not impossible to work with is not comfortable and if you're going to buy this rifle more for utilitarian purposes then the side folder is better as it more closely matches the profile of a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Side folders are sturdier. Under folders are more compact but are more wobbly and get worse with use. Side folders allow you to have the side mount for the scope but you cant have the scope mounted when you fold a left folding stock. Under folders will not allow you to have the mount at all. If you're concerned about what will feel best to you, keep in mind that there are "straight" and "angled versions of both side and under folders, depending on the country of origin.

I own both. I enjoy shooting both. Side folders are closer to fixed. The 100 series folders even come in a solid variant. AKs aren't "target" rifles anyway.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#25]
SLR-107 FR
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Underfolder for looks and sidefolder for function.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't do it for internet points, get what YOU like.  Personally I love any folding original (military) AK stock.  I am not a fan of any of the aftermarket stuff, but that's just me.

Never had a problem with cheek weld (maybe closer to a jaw weld) on any of the folding stocks, but maybe it's because I'm short (5'4).

A wire side folder is probably the most sturdy but also most uncomfortable.  The recoil is transmitted through that thing and there is no dampening, and it's narrow.

Side folder is not too bad because it's wide, but not as comfortable as a wood stock.  It will catch your shirt/jacket when to try to shoulder it.  You have to make an effort to keep it away from the shoulder as you raise it up. Folded, it looks and feels awesome.

Side folder makes the rifle thicker when folded, and if it folds to the right, it interferes with the safety (but so does an underfolder).  

If it folds to the left, it's not as bad.

FWIW, when my friends couldn't get a cheek weld on my rifles it was always because they had the rifle too low on their shoulder and they were trying to crank their cheek down to the rifle.  

It was kinda painful to watch haha.

Of all the stocks, the solid stock is still my favorite.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is the rifle for collection/recreation, or intended to be able to fulfill a primarially serious role?

If its primarially for collection and recreation, then I'd go with the underfolder. It's more classical in appearance, its more iconic. Everyone knows what it is and everyone loves playing with it. That said, the cheekweld while not impossible to work with is not comfortable and if you're going to buy this rifle more for utilitarian purposes then the side folder is better as it more closely matches the profile of a fixed stock.
View Quote

I like this idea, and agree with it, except I think less people know what an UF AK is.  The wood stock is much more iconic to EVERYONE.  People in the gun culture know what an UF is, but I think thats where it ends.  Ive had family members see my UF MAK 90, and ask what it is.  It sort of looks like an AK, but they are much more used to seeing an AK with a full wood stock.

The way you described its use is perfect though.  If its a serious battle rifle(SHTF, home defense, etc.) A full stock will work much better(although IMO, an AK in any form is no replacement for an AR).  If the point of this rifle is just to have fun at the range with, and show off, and add to your collection....choosing an UF is a no brainer

My one and only AK is an UF MAK 90, and I have no plans to ever pick up a full stock, or side folder.  
Wrap the arm on an UF with paracord, chin weld it, and go nuts!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Side folder.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I've never experienced any discomfort or awkwardness while shooting an UF. UFs are more compact when folded and just flat out look cooler - more classic. But, and this is a big "but", they are slow and cumbersome to deploy. It takes two hands, much hand shuffling, and usually requires pointing your rifle in directions other than down range. Less than ideal if you should find yourself on a two-way range, but inconsequential for recreational shooting.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I like em both, but my go to is a SF.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I prefer this.

I love the right side folder on the SAM7SF. Everything is completely functional, and you dont have to remove your optic mount to utilize the folding capability of the stock. I was skeptical about the longer length of pull as Im used to the Warsaw length stocks, but Ive grown to love this rifle.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I, too, have to swim against the tide.  My Polish underfolder is my favorite AK.  It is fun to shoot.  It is accurate and follow up shots don't seem to be a problem for me.  To each their own, I guess.  

Right now, I'm trying to get the gold together to buy an Arsenal Milled UF.  Hubba, hubba.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Absolutely sidefolder- stronger and more ergonomic.

The only reason the underfolder persists is the "chicks dig it" appearance and the fact it is slightly more compact when folded.  Otherwise the sidefolder is better in every way.
View Quote

Absolutely correct.  I closed my eyes and sprang for a SAM-7SF (very, very pricey) - best gun money I ever spent.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Consider this;

you can have a fixed stock on an AK and an AR
you can have a side folding stock on an AK and an AR
you can have an underfolding stock on an AK

Pretty easy decision to go with the one that is only possible in the AK platform.  Leave the collapsible/folding stocks for the AR
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top