Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/1/2014 10:49:30 AM EDT
Just saw these reviews out today, I'm curious how well this will do on the market at its price point(s) compared to the Galil ACE and SIG 556 xi; all have the same basic capabilities with better ergos and rails, accept AK mags, but two are glorified AKs.
What does the Dark Side think? Would you buy any one over the other? Why?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/12/01/cmmg-mk-47-mutant-pricing-details/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/11/30/review-new-cmmg-mk47-mutant/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKVFYNJWCak&list=UUvtuPgvFmA--W404WkST8GA
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Head over to the Sig forum in the Armory and do some reading.  Some guys are having issues with the 556xi.  Too early to tell, but it does kinda make you wonder if Sig is using it's customer base as beta testers again.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been hearing about quality issues with US made SIG rifles since MAC started reviewing them; you expect that a $400 AK could be jacked up, but there is no excuse on a $1500 gun from a company like SIG.
Not trying to make this a SIG bashing thread, just curious about comments/comparisons, since there are several $1500 7.62x39 rifles out or coming out this year into next.
I also realize that there are several other companies that make 7.62x39 ARs that accept AK mags (LAR 47 and MGI Hydra), but it seems CMMG did more than just re-design the lower/magwell.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
<at the prices.

CMMG: Funky, not really too pretty at all, way too expensive for an ugly gun.

SIG: Have been hearing about problems with every generation of this rifle, not really willing to take the chance on getting a lemon, really expected better from SIG.

Galil: Certainly looks to have the potential to be the best of this group of 3, but again, too expensive, I wouldn't pay 2 grand for a Tavor, and not paying it for this puppy.

These things make Arsenals look like a bargain.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just saw these reviews out today, I'm curious how well this will do on the market at its price point(s) compared to the Galil ACE and SIG 556 xi; all have the same basic capabilities with better ergos and rails, accept AK mags, but two are glorified AKs.
What does the Dark Side think? Would you buy any one over the other? Why?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/12/01/cmmg-mk-47-mutant-pricing-details/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/11/30/review-new-cmmg-mk47-mutant/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKVFYNJWCak&list=UUvtuPgvFmA--W404WkST8GA
View Quote

Embedded:

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Rob's Sig review/torture test:

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like that CMMG MK47 seems like they done their homework. I have a CMMG MK3 MOD 0 .308 and it has been super reliable
I am sure the MK47 will be no different!
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I voted Ace even though I won't be buying any of the above, at least not in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#8]
All 3 are over priced imo, so I voted none.
However, if I got to pick one for free it would probably be the Galil, followed closely by the CMMG.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]
CMMG:
    - Unique bolt, not interchangeable with anything
    - Direct impingement
    - 7 pounds

They're not giving me a whole lot of reasons to buy that over a garden-variety AK, much less the SIG or ACE.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Out of those three, I like the Ace.

Ill buy a slr-107fr, micro draco and a case of ammo 1st though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I voted N/A because i like the ACE but i have decided its too expensive for me and im going to grab a Arsenal 107FR instead.

The other ones im not even remotely interested in.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:46:45 AM EDT
[#12]
all overpriced solutions looking for a problem./ i'll pass thanks
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:45:32 AM EDT
[#13]
would be most interested in the Galil but still too rich for my blood.  

Just ordered a Slr-107FR from atlantic
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:23:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CMMG:
    - Unique bolt, not interchangeable with anything
    - Direct impingement
    - 7 pounds

They're not giving me a whole lot of reasons to buy that over a garden-variety AK, much less the SIG or ACE.
View Quote

THIS. People complain about how often they clean their AR's (or how quickly they get dirty), so I don't see how DI was their choice for filthy 7.62x39 ammo
I think Sig has the better idea staying closer to the AK action upper with AK style lower.
Or even better.... (not on the list) FAXON ARAK 21 (when they release the 7.62x39 version).
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#15]
did they do DI because it's better with a can?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Rob's Sig review/torture test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAS19B9j4vI
View Quote

Wait.  Shooting rifles with a shotgun is now considered a realistic testing of its durability?

I'm no fan of that rifle, but what is that supposed to prove exactly, out here in the real world?  If my gun takes that kind of damage from an "IED", I'm pretty sure the bleeding shrapnel holes in my body will be more important than the functioning of the gun.  One way or another, I'm out of the fight whether the gun functions or not.

Regarding the poll, I choose N/A, because none do anything significantly 'better' than pre-existing AKs to justify a proprietary and expensive design.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Voting none.

Galil and CMMG are overpriced, the 556XI Russian has the usual first-gen Sig problems though it's price point isn't as bad.  With the firearms market being what it is right now, I don't see highly expensive 7.62x39 rifles selling very well.

I bought a 556R Gen 2 and I'm happy with that.  I'd rather buy a SLR-107FR and a couple cases of ammo than purchase any of the above.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Gail hopefully.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#19]
The Galil ACE only interests me as an SBR.  The MK47 is cool, but just costs more than I'll likely want to spend on it.  To me, it just isn't different enough from a regular AK to justify spending so much on it.

No interest in the Sig.

So the ACE pistol is the only one I am really considering as a future purchase.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#20]
CMMG for three reasons
1. Its going to have a much better trigger
2. It is gas impingement ( much better to suppress)
3. It is American made and it works.

That said it is priced way out my 7.62x39 price range. if i was going send that much I would grab a high falutin Krebs model. that said, if they ever get close to the $1k mark I would pick one up and shorten it to 13 inchs and it would run suppressed.

The Galil looks like a great little carbine... but god-damned they are proud of that  WWII technology

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I hope CMMG gets around to offering that Mk47 as a lower only, so I can match it up with my PWS 7.62x39 Mk116 Mod1 upper.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I hope CMMG gets around to offering that Mk47 as a lower only, so I can match it up with my PWS 7.62x39 Mk116 Mod1 upper.
View Quote

This is what they should be doing.

Too much for that gun.
Sorry.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Too much for that gun.
Sorry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too much for that gun.
Sorry.

would you pay about $1100 for the upper...pretty sure thats what they would cost.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

would you pay about $1100 for the upper...pretty sure thats what they would cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too much for that gun.
Sorry.

How about stripped uppers and lowers, and I'll slap on the barrel and BCG I want.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How about stripped uppers and lowers, and I'll slap on the barrel and BCG I want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too much for that gun.
Sorry.

Better still, how about CMMG dumps the upper, dumps the lower, learns how to bend some sheet metal and mill some trunnions, sights and gas blocks, make/order some CHF chrome lined barrels, works a deal with Matt at Ironwood for some wood, and puts it all together for a price comparable to what CMMG AR's are being sold for (700-800)? THAT would an interesting little rifle...what to call it......
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Voted N/A:

I like the Ace but luckily IWI has priced it out of the market and made the decision for me.

I'd buy an Arsenal 107FR or CR over any of them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too much for that gun.
Sorry.

The upper and BCG are proprietary to the MK47.. so that isn't possible.  Not sure if it uses a standard barrel.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#28]
What will the ACE rifle (16") sell for again? Estimate?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:08:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The pistol is going to run $1800. I dont think the rifle will be any cheaper
from TTAG
Yo dawg I heard you like AKs so we made an AK thats not an AK but is basically an AK so you can have another AK to go with your AKs.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top