Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2014 2:48:00 AM EDT
Receiver marked "Century Arms Inc, Georgia, VT. M74 Sporter SN: M74-CXXXXXX" (C followed by 6 numbers).  Can someone tell me who makes, or who probably makes this receiver?  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:16:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe its a NDS receiver.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:32:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Nodak Spud receiver on a Bulgarian parts kit with US made barrel IIRC. Tapco G2 trigger and a few other US made parts for compliance.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:01:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks very much for the very prompt response!   What can you tell me about this warning from TAPCO?  - quoted below -    I am posting this because I have had some double fires with the rifle when sighting in.  Since I was shooting from the bench, I am hoping it was just bump firing / me nursing the trigger.  However I came across this warning on their triggers.  Do I need a new trigger group?  (If so, what would be the best alternative?)  Thanks!

"INTRAFUSE G2 Trigger Groups are also not compatible with NoDak Spud NDS-3 and NDS-65 "economy" receivers. In some cases, the use of these two products together can create accidental double firing of the firearm."
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:04:37 AM EDT
[#4]
You are most likely riding the trigger on the bench and recoil did its thing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Taken directly from Nodak Spud website.  This is the issue they are referring to in your post:

"There have been reports that the Tapco G2 "single hook" fire control set has had malfunctions when installed in some receivers on the market. These reported malfunctions have included the NDS-3 and the old model NDS-65 "economy" receivers.

The most common problem is "hammer follow".

This is when the hammer is NOT caught by the disconnector, and follows the bolt carrier forward, failing to reset for the next shot.

This does not occur in all builds involving our NDS-3/NDS-65 and the G2 "single hook" set.

But, we advise that caution needs to be observed when combining these two products.

Hammer follow is due to a combination of small dimensional variances on each of the parts in the assembly (called "stacking dimensions").

When you combine them together, the hammer is not pushed down far enough for the disconnector to grab it.

The parts generally involved are;    bolt carrier,receiver, fire control group"
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Contact Nodak Spud. Ask them if they made the receiver and if so, which receiver they supplied. Ask them if the use of the G2 fcg is recommended.

They will give you definitive answers.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nodak Spud receiver on a Bulgarian parts kit with US made barrel IIRC. Tapco G2 trigger and a few other US made parts for compliance.
View Quote

No! It isn't a Nodak Spud receiver. Century switched from using Nodak Spud receivers to their own receivers. From the info the OP provided, it a receiver built buy Century for their guns. If it was a Nodak Spud receiver then it should have NDS with the model number near the serial number.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No! It isn't a Nodak Spud receiver. Century switched from using Nodak Spud receivers to their own receivers. From the info the OP provided, it a receiver built buy Century for their guns. If it was a Nodak Spud receiver then it should have NDS with the model number near the serial number.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK...but its a damn good copy then!
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BATFE has given marking waivers so that the receiver is only marked with the name of the assembler/seller. See 27 CFR 478.92 (a) (4) (i)
It may well be that this is such a case.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine doesnt say nodak on it anywhere either but was told buy weidners it was.
Here is a link to one i bought and ended up sending it back and got a new one. link

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like yours has same serial number range as mine.  I also got mine at Widener's.  So it looks to me like I am in that category of the warning.  Its been a couple years, do you think Widener's would do anything for me?  Everything else on the rifle is fine and it is pretty accurate, just the doubling problem.

Otherwise, can someone recommend a good quality replacement FCG that won't double (assuming I hold the rifle correctly)?  I don't mind calling Widener's or the factory, but an FCG is easy to replace and not expensive.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Widners probly wont do anything and Century has a 1 year warranty from the day it leave the factory. Does it have a tapco g2 in it now?
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes it does, a Tapco G2 single hook.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, may I respectfully suggest the new Red Star Arms trigger group as a replacement for your rifle?

I have not bought one yet but they show great promise.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 9:32:52 PM EDT
[#15]
If y'all are having doubling I'd think it'd be worth a call to Century.   Lots of companies get worked up about doubling or slam fires due to the fear of litigation.     Just a thought....
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Prompt response from NoDak Spud:   "The receiver in your rifle is not from us. All the AK74 receivers we sent to Century had the serial number range of J00XXX1 and up."

They went on to give me some very helpful information and some options to consider if I decide to replace the Tapco.  

http://texasaktriggers.com/

http://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-922S.html.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Had the AK-74 back at the range today.  Holding the buttstock firmly into the shoulder it does not double.    Did not have to change how I work the trigger, just hold the thing firmly does the trick.  The Tapco G2 is excellent and aids accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I could see that with an ar with such a short reset. Even the tapco have alot of reset and trigger travel. Where you just letting it float in your sholder?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Not intentially, when I had the doubles last week I was sighting in with new ammo off the bench.  I was just not holding it secure enough and it had to have been bump firing doubles.  Today I was shooing drills in standing position and occasionally off the bench, but in all cases stock held tight into the shoulder pocket.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#20]
It was probably made by Morrissey. They made some for Century. I have one and it is nice.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 11:37:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Were these the guns that had the key holing barrels?
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 5.45 guns that CAI let out with the majority of the keyhole issues were Tantals.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The 5.45 guns that CAI let out with the majority of the keyhole issues were Tantals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS.

Ask me how I know.

My Tantal was a nice looking rifle but when you put a 5.56 barrel in a rifle that is supposed to shoot 5.45 ammo, what do you expect to happen?

Ah......those CAI rocket scientists.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top