Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/25/2014 3:25:16 PM EDT
I am looking for my last AK47 and I thought I had it figured out but now I am back to thinking again...I have a Vepr and Wasr Ak47...I looked at getting a kit and have one built then I looked at getting a SLR-107FR, but then thought another Vepr might be nice too, by the time I built one....like I wanted it would be close to price with the Arsenal and Vepr.....

Whats the best choice here?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of new interesting choices out there, Atlantic has a bunch of new rifles they are having done in-house, Polish, Egyptian, etc.

Centerfire also has some cool rifles, the Hungarian-pattern underfolder is making my wallet bouncy for weeks now.

More out there than just WASR-Yugo-Vepr-Arsenal, check 'em out!
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Kyber Pass left side folder 7.62 with Russian red wood.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
After putting it off for so long - i am very satisfied with my SLR107.

would be my suggestion
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
no such thing as a last ak !!! they tend to multiply whether you like it or not ....
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no such thing as a last ak !!! they tend to multiply whether you like it or not ....
View Quote

Yep just like your last AR, it's like they breed or something.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
After putting it off for so long - i am very satisfied with my SLR107.

would be my suggestion
View Quote

I'd choose the SLR 107 in this scenario, too.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I would go with the slr107

I love mine
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all for the replies how is the finish on the arsenal? I keep hearing its not that good, I was looking at arms of america pick up a polish kit w/nitride barrel add some krebs parts, side rail, krebs key hole rail handguard, change the fsb, CTR stock and cerakote the whole thing, I think it would come out looking awesome....of course the SLR-107FR comes all done price wise the two are about the same at that point, the only thing I would change on the Arsenal would be a Ultimak gas tube....

How do the nitride barrels stack up the the hammer forged chrome lined barrel? If I did the kit I could add to it as I go, there are a bunch of nice AKs out there can a kit build hold its own I am comparing it to the Vepr since thats what I have....
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
True I just meant I have some other projects I want to get done after this AK rifle dilemma
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#10]
DDI milled receiver rifle at Atlantic, $999.95 with free shipping:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ddi-milled-ak47-detail.html?Itemid=0

ETA: finished in KG Gunkote too instead of cheap paint, looks nice!

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for that recommendation Sir that is a nice looking rifle I had not seen that before, I have read a lot of your replies in the AK forums so I wanted to get your thoughts on recievers.....is there a big enough difference to justify the price between say a AK 47 reciever Atlantic sells and 300 dollar reciever CNC Warrior sells? I am still gathering info at this point but I am adding that DDI rifle to the short list thank you.....  

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks all for the replies how is the finish on the arsenal? I keep hearing its not that good, I was looking at arms of america pick up a polish kit w/nitride barrel add some krebs parts, side rail, krebs key hole rail handguard, change the fsb, CTR stock and cerakote the whole thing, I think it would come out looking awesome....of course the SLR-107FR comes all done price wise the two are about the same at that point, the only thing I would change on the Arsenal would be a Ultimak gas tube....

How do the nitride barrels stack up the the hammer forged chrome lined barrel? If I did the kit I could add to it as I go, there are a bunch of nice AKs out there can a kit build hold its own I am comparing it to the Vepr since thats what I have....
View Quote

Arsenal's are hard to beat quality wise, they are awesome - CHF barrels are supposed to last a life time.  Will the CHF barrel make a difference at the range or in a SHTF situation, who knows..  My milled Arsenal AKs with CHF barrels are just slightly more accurate than the rest of  the Century Yugo's and Saigas I have.   It is true on the finish on Arsenal's though - definitely don't want to get Hoppe's anywhere outside of the barrel :)  ..  On my arsenal's I use G96 only to clean with now.  I saw some other posts about DDI - I know they purchased Waffen Werks - hopefully they improved Waffen Werks products because they were definitely hit or miss..
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Sar1 and Mini draco for my 7.62x39 AKs, next on my list is a slr107fr. Have you considered an AK pistol?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Good idea I love the Ak pistol I have a Pap M92 and a mini Draco on the way eventually get the Sig braces on them, I keep going back to the Polish kits and adding the parts I want as I go maybe thats not the best way buy I see certain things from AK's I like and would like to take the best of those and build one rifle to rule them all
Quoted:
I have a Sar1 and Mini draco for my 7.62x39 AKs, next on my list is a slr107fr. Have you considered an AK pistol?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Hard to beat the SLR107, especially based on the prices of some of the other rifles lately.  The whole finish thing is a lot of internet lore passed on by people that probably never owned one of them or did not know how to take care of a rifle. There are always better finishes but the  Arsenal finish holds up just fine if you use the proper cleaning chemicals, CLP.  Couple of mine are 6 years old now and have had thousands of rounds through them and still look near new.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for that info I am leaning towards either the SLR 107FR or Polish part kit build but good to know the finish is not that crappy on the Arsenal, thanks so your SLR 107 is holding up well then what about the poly stock that it comes with is it a cheap feeling stock?
Quoted:
Hard to beat the SLR107, especially based on the prices of some of the other rifles lately.  The whole finish thing is a lot of internet lore passed on by people that probably never owned one of them or did not know how to take care of a rifle. There are always better finishes but the  Arsenal finish holds up just fine if you use the proper cleaning chemicals, CLP.  Couple of mine are 6 years old now and have had thousands of rounds through them and still look near new.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#17]
That I couldn't answer as I have no experience with either, might check the build forum as those guys are very knowledgable about that stuff. I have purchased other items from CNC Warrior though, and had good experiences with their products and solid customer service. Atlantic also is known for outstanding products and taking excellent care of their customers before and after the purchase, so you really can't go wrong with either of these fine vendors.

I'm lusting after that new DDI rifle, limited run too from what I hear from them.

Nother pic I just saw posted elsewhere:

Quoted:
Thank you for that recommendation Sir that is a nice looking rifle I had not seen that before, I have read a lot of your replies in the AK forums so I wanted to get your thoughts on recievers.....is there a big enough difference to justify the price between say a AK 47 reciever Atlantic sells and 300 dollar reciever CNC Warrior sells? I am still gathering info at this point but I am adding that DDI rifle to the short list thank you.....  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#18]
that looks like a long barrel on the DDI for an AK. What length is it? I didn't see any specs at the link.

What is the "normal" or most common barrel length for an AK?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Objectively, for a select-fire military rifle, the CHF CL barrel is the better choice. That said, since I don't own any selective-fire weapons, I'll take a good nitrided barrel every time. Increased accuracy and low-maintenance ownership have made me a big fan of nitriding. Not to mention the fact that, if you're building, virgin CHF barrel options are limited to pre-ban imports and priced accordingly.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
that looks like a long barrel on the DDI for an AK. What length is it? I didn't see any specs at the link.

What is the "normal" or most common barrel length for an AK?

Thanks
View Quote

16.5"
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#21]
This is the look i am going for with a few changes I want a bayonet lug no reason other then I dont have a bayonet Ak yet so I just want it, I like the AK74 brake so want that....I like the side folders so I want that...I found this pic it doesnt have to be a vepr but this is the look I want for this Ak whats the best platform to get there? Any good ideas Dragynn? If it costs more then the Arsenal 107FR I might as well stick in that range....I found some Polish kits on Arms of America with Nitride barrels allready head spaced for 539....
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Thank you for that info I would like to try a nitride barrel I appreciate the help....
Quoted:

Objectively, for a select-fire military rifle, the CHF CL barrel is the better choice. That said, since I don't own any selective-fire weapons, I'll take a good nitrided barrel every time. Increased accuracy and low-maintenance ownership have made me a big fan of nitriding. Not to mention the fact that, if you're building, virgin CHF barrel options are limited to pre-ban imports and priced accordingly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
what about the poly stock that it comes with is it a cheap feeling stock?
View Quote

It's US made and feels just like the military made poly stocks.  It's plenty sturdy and you have the option for the metal triangle stock.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#24]
If I was only going to ever have 1 more car in my life, it would be the car of my dreams. If I was only going to have 1 more whatever in my life, it would be the best of and with the most options of that I could buy. That's just how I roll though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with that my low end is my Wasr my high end is my Vepr MD2 inbetween I have a Pap m92 and a mini Draco coming I will put the Sig brace on those two eventually, so are you saying the Arsenal 107FR is the best or something else? I have never seen a Arsenal build before but they look nice, whatever I do have to wait till after Christmas
Quoted:
If I was only going to ever have 1 more car in my life, it would be the car of my dreams. If I was only going to have 1 more whatever in my life, it would be the best of and with the most options of that I could buy. That's just how I roll though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#26]
That DDI AK is growing on me, I know this sounds stupid and is a easy enough fix but I want a bayonet FSB so keep going back to the arsenal of course I could buy the kit and pieces to go with it but I just dont know how a pieced kit would compare to factory build rifle so to speak..
Quoted:
That I couldn't answer as I have no experience with either, might check the build forum as those guys are very knowledgable about that stuff. I have purchased other items from CNC Warrior though, and had good experiences with their products and solid customer service. Atlantic also is known for outstanding products and taking excellent care of their customers before and after the purchase, so you really can't go wrong with either of these fine vendors.

I'm lusting after that new DDI rifle, limited run too from what I hear from them.

http://i62.tinypic.com/25qdbab.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i62.tinypic.com/25qdbab.jpg

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm not telling you which I think is the best. What I'm saying is, if its the last AK ever that you're going to buy, don't make any compromises. Spend the $ and get the one that fits your every need.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Makes sense I agree with you I am leaning towards the Arsenal and get the handguards I want since it seems to have everything I am looking for, not saying one day I wont pick up another AK but I want to switch to my MKA 1919 project and some AR builds I have thanks again guys...
Quoted:
I'm not telling you which I think is the best. What I'm saying is, if its the last AK ever that you're going to buy, don't make any compromises. Spend the $ and get the one that fits your every need.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Makes sense I agree with you I am leaning towards the Arsenal and get the handguards I want since it seems to have everything I am looking for, not saying one day I wont pick up another AK but I want to switch to my MKA 1919 project and some AR builds I have thanks again guys...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Im about to but a 107-FR

Waiting for black Friday deals . . . .
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Find yourself a Norinco MAK90 and deban it!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Find yourself a Norinco MAK90 and deban it!
View Quote

So tempting and so ironic you stated this...  Just yesterday, I went to my local gun shop and they have a like new and all matching Milled MAK90 for $750, and can probably talk them down...  And man, did I just want to buy it and throw an IronWood stock set on it - and thread the barrel; however,  Christmas is coming and kids want some extravagant stuff, and I just had to fight the urge..  Ughhhh.......
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Milled MAK90 for 750?  What are you waiting for!!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Hi all thanks for the help I have been thinking it through and I think I will go with a Arsenal SAM7 SF-84 after the holidays this will be my last AK47 so I think I want to get something that has everything I want out the door, I hope its the right choice the only thing that might be a negative is the stock I read its kinda long... though my Vepr MD2 is just at the point of almost to long so I hope it is slightly shorter thanks again guys, any thoughts on the SAM7 SF-84 I am all ears....
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Hi all thanks for the help I have been thinking it through and I think I will go with a Arsenal SAM7 SF-84 after the holidays this will be my last AK47 so I think I want to get something that has everything I want out the door, I hope its the right choice the only thing that might be a negative is the stock I read its kinda long... though my Vepr MD2 is just at the point of almost to long so I hope it is slightly shorter thanks again guys, any thoughts on the SAM7 SF-84 I am all ears....
View Quote
That's exactly the AK I was thinking I would buy if it was going to be my last.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

SAM7 SF is a great choice - solid gun in all aspects, shoots a dream.  I love mine...

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:42:43 PM EDT
[#36]
That is a sweet looking rifle there howdoes she do accuracy wise
Quoted:

SAM7 SF is a great choice - solid gun in all aspects, shoots a dream.  I love mine...

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y447/mcwizz1/sam7_zpsb7eecdf5.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y447/mcwizz1/sam7_zpsb7eecdf5.jpg

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#37]
I think im going to snag a Arsenal 107FR in Plum next week,i regret trading my 107FR last year
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

With the Aimpoint T1 at 100 yds - Tulammo 124gr FMJ - she shoots like the pic below - just under 2 " group from bench rest.  One day I will try it with a good scope on SM-13 mount and better ammo - bet I can probably tighten it up to close to an inch or better.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think im going to snag a Arsenal 107FR in Plum next week,i regret trading my 107FR last year
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#40]
That is impressive accuracy with that setup that seals the deal for me with the Arsenal SAM7SF-84 I cant wait to get it putting it on layaway end of Dec......thanks again all.....
Quoted:

With the Aimpoint T1 at 100 yds - Tulammo 124gr FMJ - she shoots like the pic below - just under 2 " group from bench rest.  One day I will try it with a good scope on SM-13 mount and better ammo - bet I can probably tighten it up to close to an inch or better.  

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y447/mcwizz1/sam7target_zps633052f3.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y447/mcwizz1/sam7target_zps633052f3.jpg

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top