Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/23/2014 1:53:34 PM EDT
From looking around I found that the AK-104/SLR-107 CR variants have 12.36" barrels in their intended length.

Is there any effective flash hiders available that could be used to pin to the barrel to make it to 16"?

I saw the CNC Warrior extended 4-piece Bulgarian style brake, but it's not what I'm looking for. It seems it would make the rifle front heavy which defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do.

I have an SGL 21 and 103K style Saiga conversion (original front sight block pushed back to the gas block) that I would like to have converted to AK 104 configuration. I believe the only way to remove the pinned 74 style brake on the 103K would be to cut off the muzzle brake with the threaded portion of the front sight block and barrel underneath it. The rest of the sight block would have to then be pulled off. This should leave enough room for the 104 style gas block.

From what I found in searching for a flash hider was this:

240F

Is there any reason that this should not work? Besides having to have the barrel rethreaded?

Or is there anything else out there similar?

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Im in for info also! Tag
Noah
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You can use a CNC warrior M24x1.5 to 1/2x28 with an AAC Blackout 51T, which is similar to the B.E. Meyers. CNC Warrior just doesn't make an M24x1.5 to 15mm adapter.
http://www.cncwarrior.com/M24x1-5-to-5-8-24-Muzzle-Thread-Adapter-p/24934.htm

http://www.advanced-armament.com/BLACKOUT-51T-Flash-Hider-MITER-Mount_p_448.html

You could try a CNC warrior M24x1.5 to 14x1 LH thread adapter (1.7") and use a polish AKML flash hider (3.375").
http://www.cncwarrior.com/24mm-to-M14x1-LH-Muzzle-Thread-Adapter-p/23076.htm

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/POLISH-AKML-FLASH-HIDER-154p1691.htm

Or Tantal flash hider, 3.2", has to be bored out to 7.62 though.
http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/TANTAL-FLASH-HIDER-NEW-154p1747.htm
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,

Do you have any experience with the thread adapters from CNC Warrior? Can they be trusted?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
CNC Warrior is GTG, other AK owners here will say the same.
With any long muzzle device on an AK, check for concentricity with a dowel.
I would spot weld the muzzle device to the adapter; as with most muzzle devices that aren't somehow retained, they could spin themselves off.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:59:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Kind of what Manticore Arms is talking about (not my rifle):

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best solution is just pick your favorite muzzle device in 14x1L or a similar thread pattern, have the barrel chopped and threaded and then that flash hider pinned directly to the barrel so it comes out to just over 16".  Most will leave about 2" of barrel in front of the 24mm front sight base threads.  

That way leaves you with more barrel which means better velocity and more complete powder burn, and you aren't messing with trying to get cocentricity off the front sight base threads.

I will say that even though CNC Warrior is technically a competitor, their products are well machined and we have several of their thread adapters in house for testing various muzzle devices on various guns.

That being said, going from a 24mm thread to a 24mm to smaller adapter to a muzzle device makes for a lot of places where things can get out of alignment, and I would not recommend doing it that way.
View Quote

This is what I had originally intended to.

However, one of the rifles is cut down to a 103K configuration; it has the original sight block pushed back to the gas block, and then a 74 style muzzle brake pinned to the barrel.

Now, the thing I'm not sure about is whether the 74 style brake is pinned down to the actual barrel, or to the 24 mm front sight base threads.

If it's to the front sight base threads, then I'm pretty sure the front sight base can be pulled along with the brake, but if the brake is pinned to the actual barrel then I think the only way to get it off would be to cut the 24 mm front sight base threads along with the portion of barrel underneath them. In turn, I would still be able to have the 104 style gas block installed, but there wouldn't be much barrel length left to thread.

On another note: has anyone had the 24 mm front sight base threads cut off? I was thinking of buying this:

https://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-142B.html

And having the 24 mm threads cut off, and then just threading the actual barrel itself.

Is there any reason why this shouldn't be done? I don't have the tooling to do any of this myself, so it will be sent off to a gunsmith. I was thinking AKUSA would be able to do it.

Also, as an FYI, the AK in question is a DA AK103U built off a Saiga
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#8]
if it was done "right" (meaning to ATF specs, from what I have been told anyway) it will be pinned through to the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#9]
These from E93 are optimized for install on shortened barrels. 2.50 AOL, .50 thread overlap allowing for a 14 inch barrel. Good time buy right now. They are 40% off for their Black Friday-Cyber Monday sale.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top