Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/22/2014 7:10:06 PM EDT
Is there some quirk about the AK's trigger group that would stop someone like Giessele, CMC, Rock River, JP, Wilson Combat, Timney producing a "better" trigger ?

It seems like this is a massive void when it comes to aftermarket parts....

Does the heavy spring needed to ignite some primers inhibit being able to design a lighter pull, smoother trigger ?

Heck even something like the ALG Defense would be great .
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably due to a perceived or real notion that there isn't enough of a market to justify tooling up and bringing one to market.

Red Star Arms makes a really nice adjustable trigger, but they aren't exactly making millions of dollars in doing so.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is there some quirk about the AK's trigger group that would stop someone like Giessele, CMC, Rock River, JP, Wilson Combat, Timney producing a "better" trigger ?

View Quote

because the G2 in most instances is just as nice as high end AR triggers.

no joke - all the AR shooters at the last TN HTF shoot were baffled by how nice the G2 was when they got behind the AK's - were shocked when I told em they are $30.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Jard makes one that's a huge POS. Essentially, there's no real market for it because from my experience the average "AK person" tends to be a huge cheapskate. Now, of course this doesn't apply to everyone, but it's easily the majority. I heard that some company was developing one (don't remember who) and decided to scrap it because when they were looking to see what people would pay for one most people said "under $65" or they wouldn't bother.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

no joke - all the AR shooters at the last TN HTF shoot were baffled by how nice the G2 was when they got behind the AK's - were shocked when I told em they are $30.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I came to say a G2 trigger is very nice.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Red star arms - I have one and it's awesome. You can adjust it how you want. But then again there really isn't anything wrong with the stock ak trigger either. But no trigger will help a 3-4moa ak shoot any better
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I really like the Arsenal 2 stage that came in my SGL-21 but i'm not about to replace the G2 in my WASR
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#7]
tac-con makes one.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. When a really nice AK trigger can be had for <$30 how much of a market is there for something else?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

makes me wonder why some ar triggers are 100x more expensive.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Red star arms - I have one and it's awesome. You can adjust it how you want. But then again there really isn't anything wrong with the stock ak trigger either. But no trigger will help a 3-4moa ak shoot any better
View Quote

Had one of their two stage trigger, kind of wish had taken it off the AK before I sold it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:05:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I polished a G2 too much once. They get scary light and too smooth...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:37:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I have only 9 AK's

But I have a more AR's

Almost all of my AK's have the G2 triggers, my Ar's have a variety of triggers, from milspec, spikes Nickle Boron, Giessele, Rock River, & JP.  In my experience, G2 is reliable, but it is no way as good the AR aftermarket triggers.  G2 gets better after I polish, reduce the over travel and pre travel.  But as is, aftermarket AR triggers smoke it easily.

I think one reason for lack of AK triggers is that there are dimension variations in the receivers, I experience that when I install G2 triggers.  Some have a long travel, but other ones have a nice single stage.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Essentially, there's no real market for it because from my experience the average "AK person" tends to be a huge cheapskate. Now, of course this doesn't apply to everyone, but it's easily the majority.
View Quote

This doesn't just affect the FCG aftermarket, but virtually the whole AK accessory aftermarket.

From my experiences for a single stage the G2 is alright (it was lightyears ahead of the POS Century FCG's that used to come in the WASR-10's), though I'm not a big fan of the profile of the hammer. I prefer two stage triggers though, and I think the Red Star Arms/Power Custom/whatever-they're-calling-themselves-these-days is the best one out there. Most people balk at the price, but it's worth it to me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean 10x

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I be honest and this coming from a guy who owns AR's. It's because the AR crowd perceives the cost of an item as value.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Can I be honest and this coming from a guy who owns AR's. It's because the AR crowd perceives the cost of an item as value.
View Quote

I think it's a combination of this and the fact the AK shooters are cheap.  As a disclaimer:  I own and love both ARs and AKs.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#17]
How much of an "upgraded" trigger does one require to hit a man sized target at  200 - 250 meters?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#18]
If gesielle came out with an ak trigger for around $100 i think it would do well, but the real market would be in historacally correct ak triggers. If somebody had a website for american perfect clone triggers that you choose the year and country and get a perfect copy of the original then they would sell well for around $50.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Lots of reasons:
1. Original design trigger works;
2. Misconception that AK owners are small fringe of gun owner population;
3. Stereotype that AK owners have no money;
4. Stereotype that AK owners like authenticity;
5. Misconception that AKs are so inaccurate that a trigger upgrade would be waste of time.
6. Fear that upgrades would end up with jihadists, drug cartels, and Russian shock troops.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:55:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Red Star Arms, hands down the best AK trigger on the market. Completely adjustable and if you can cut an average (as mentioned before) 3-4 inch group in half or better, why wouldn't you want to do it. They are a far cry cheaper than a bunch of so called top end triggers for the AR platform and built to last. Put my first one in a SLR 106 FR and it sold me hands down. Now I have 4 in use and will be upgrading a couple more befor it's over.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You mean 10x

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean 10x

right.  stupid numbers...
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is 100% the reason. AK owners tend to be a lot more pragmatic in my experience, and much less prone to fall for silly marketing hype, and more prone to do the small amount of work it requires to make a triggerset smooth. Takes 5 minutes on a garden variety AR trigger to make it easily as nice as some 100 dollar wunderkind.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lots of reasons:
5. Misconception that AKs are so inaccurate that a trigger upgrade would be waste of time.
6. Fear that upgrades would end up with jihadists, drug cartels, and Russian shock troops.
View Quote

1. I agree, but don't see that as a reason to not come up with an improved version. Lot's of things "work", yet we still strive to improve on them.
2. I don't really think that this is a true misconception, but I have nothing to say for it.
3. A very large majority of AK owners are cheap whether they have the money or not. Just look around here, and every other AK forum. Things like "Why should I pay X amount when my $300 WASR will do the same", or "I'll pay (Insert ridiculously low price here), other wise I'll pass".  
4. I would say that a large majority of the already small amount of AK owners that are willing to spend the money on something are usually collectors that do want authenticity. A pre-ban SA85 will cost more than an identical debanned SA85.  
5. I agree.
6. I take this as sarcasm?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

4. I would say that a large majority of the already small amount of AK owners that are willing to spend the money on something are usually collectors that do want authenticity. A pre-ban SA85 will cost more than an identical debanned SA85.  
View Quote

Well that's for damn sure, but the price desparity in that particular example is kinda ridiculous, a de-banned SA is pretty much every bit as nice and really nothing to doing it, furniture and thread the muzzle, you don't get the bayo lug but that's not a big deal, how many guys really have a use for a bayonet?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would agree with this. Also I ran the Redstar Arms adjustable at 3 times the cost of A G2  While it was easier to adjust it to bump fire it was no cleaner breaking then the G2
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How much of an "upgraded" trigger does one require to hit a man sized target at  200 - 250 meters?
View Quote

Lol... excellent point , but it does help me pick where I want to shoot that man-sized target.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I came here to same the same thing.

I don't know why AR triggers aren't $40 like Tapco G2s for the 3.5 lbs trigger pull
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
3. A very large majority of AK owners are cheap whether they have the money or not. Just look around here, and every other AK forum. Things like "Why should I pay X amount when my $300 WASR will do the same", or "I'll pay (Insert ridiculously low price here), other wise I'll pass".  
View Quote

Don't confuse having common sense with being "cheap". With some other platforms, extra money may buy you a tangible improvement. With AKs, the only real question is "Do I want to spend $1,400 for a $200 rifle, or do I want to spend $600 for a $200 rifle." Make no mistake, barring a few features, you're getting a $200 rifle either way. Unless you simply can't get the features you want in the less-expansive rifle, you're better off spending that money on ammo.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#29]
My Red Start Arms triggers are VERY nice feeling.  I set it up as a two stage with a crisp glass break.  Way way good enough for an AK.  What else do you want?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Pulled the arsenal 2 stage out of the 107 tonight and installed the G2.

This one is much lighter and crisper than the one I put in the draco.  10x better than the arsenal group.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Don't confuse having common sense with being "cheap". With some other platforms, extra money may buy you a tangible improvement. With AKs, the only real question is "Do I want to spend $1,400 for a $200 rifle, or do I want to spend $600 for a $200 rifle." Make no mistake, barring a few features, you're getting a $200 rifle either way. Unless you simply can't get the features you want in the less-expansive rifle, you're better off spending that money on ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buying an NcStar red dot that comes with a free laser and arguing that it's just as good as an Aimpoint is common sense? Because that's the arguments I usually get into with your standard "AK" people.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I polished a G2 too much once. They get scary light and too smooth...
View Quote

I did that too. Mine was a little gritty so I kept on polishing until it was smooth. The end result was very smooth, but way to light for comfort.

I've been meaning to replace it but never get around to it since I don't shoot that rifle much.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Buying an NcStar red dot that comes with a free laser and arguing that it's just as good as an Aimpoint is common sense? Because that's the arguments I usually get into with your standard "AK" people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I agree that the Aimpoint is a superior product, but for a simple range rifle that only gets shot once a month, a $500 dollar optic is kinda overkill. A Primary arms micro-dot is a good compromise and will do everything you need it to do and hold up well, and in that same vein, a Tapco trigger is a nice inexpensive upgrade that will work fine.

I doubt any of the wunderkind AK triggers are substantially better, nor are they battle-tested as is the Aimpoint, so really nothing but manufacturers claims of superiority to try and justify a bizarrely high price for work you can do yourself with simple tools and ten minutes.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Ak is not $200, mine was more than that
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

An NcStar red dot will not provide the same optical quality, will likely not handle abuse, will not retain zero, will not cope with extreme temperatures, ditto for moisture and weather proofing, etc. It is a product of demonstrably inferior quality; it wasn't designed for field use on real rifles and thus will simply not do the job. Your analogy is inapt. A WASR/NPAP/OPAP/etc. is every bit the neutered military rifle that the Arsenal is. It performs the same job under the same conditions with the same performance and the same results as it's more expensive brethren. You simply cannot argue that there are any functional qualitative differences between them. More money may buy you features (side-folding stock, improved muzzle break, etc.) but the end result is not any better at putting holes in things, or doing so reliably, than the less expensive also-factory-built rifles.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

An NcStar red dot will not provide the same optical quality, will likely not handle abuse, will not retain zero, will not cope with extreme temperatures, ditto for moisture and weather proofing, etc. It is a product of demonstrably inferior quality; it wasn't designed for field use on real rifles and thus will simply not do the job. Your analogy is inapt. A WASR/NPAP/OPAP/etc. is every bit the neutered military rifle that the Arsenal is. It performs the same job under the same conditions with the same performance and the same results as it's more expensive brethren. You simply cannot argue that there are any functional qualitative differences between them. More money may buy you features (side-folding stock, improved muzzle break, etc.) but the end result is not any better at putting holes in things, or doing so reliably, than the less expensive also-factory-built rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is it inapt? One of the examples given that you were replying to was "I'll pay (Insert ridiculously low price here), other wise I'll pass". That's what my analogy was in reference to as was my initial post at the beginning of this thread in reference to triggers.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#37]
I meant to quote your post, but hit the edit button instead, my bad.

You have come far....good post.

dryflash3
View Quote

Thanks Dad, tell Mom I said Happy Thankgiving!

Srsly, Happy Thanksgiving to all of y'all here on the darkside. my New Year's resolution is to be slightly less of an ornery ol bastard this next year.

ETA: Well crap, now I did it, hit "edit" when I meant to hit "quote" and screwed up a post you actually liked, lol. We're getting old DF3.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my point

And in response to another post: yes, WASR's, SLR's, SGL's, etc. will all function. But they still differ in QC; take 100 WASR's at random, and take 100 SLR's at random. Then compare how many had canted sights, gas blocks, etc.

Yes there are WASR's that are well assembled, but to say that they're all every bit as well assembled as SA85's or SLR's is a lie.

It's also hard to gauge fair prices for these rifles. They can double in price over night simply due to another import regulation. SGL's went from $800 to $500 to $1500. They didn't improve in any way, we just found out that they weren't going to be coming in anymore
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

1. I agree, but don't see that as a reason to not come up with an improved version. Lot's of things "work", yet we still strive to improve on them.
2. I don't really think that this is a true misconception, but I have nothing to say for it.
5. I agree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of reasons:

5. I agree.

Yea #6 was a joke.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:13:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I didn't notice if this was mentioned yet or not, but over in the Geissele Industry forum, Sagmill posted that they're going to have an AK trigger at SHOT. About $49, part of the ALG line.

Should be fantastic.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:41:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And in response to another post: yes, WASR's, SLR's, SGL's, etc. will all function. But they still differ in QC; take 100 WASR's at random, and take 100 SLR's at random. Then compare how many had canted sights, gas blocks, etc.

View Quote

Given the fact that Arsenal's stated policy is that if the rifle will zero it's in specification, I wouldn't be so certain there would be as great a difference as you appear to believe.
The proof is in the shooting, not in the fondling in the basement.
If it works reliably and meets the accuracy standard, that's sufficient. Paying more for "quality" which can't be defined is a matter of thinking that buying something expensive confers status.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I didn't notice if this was mentioned yet or not, but over in the Geissele Industry forum, Sagmill posted that they're going to have an AK trigger at SHOT. About $49, part of the ALG line.

Should be fantastic.
View Quote

Awesome.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should be fantastic.

Awesome.

Bam.  At that price, why get anything else?  They'll dominate the AK trigger market with that.  Gonna need one for the slr106.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yea #6 was a joke.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of reasons:

5. I agree.

Yea #6 was a joke.

I think all the above are good reasons... to me the appeal of the AK is the same as that of the Glock: cheap, good and durable. Unfortunately, AK prices seem to be catching up with AR prices.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#45]
ALG Defense is releasing an AK trigger at SHOT Show 2015.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Often stated, never substantiated. Look up "cognitive dissonance."

It's also hard to gauge fair prices for these rifles. They can double in price over night simply due to another import regulation. SGL's went from $800 to $500 to $1500. They didn't improve in any way, we just found out that they weren't going to be coming in anymore

This I agree with 100%.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the info about ALG.

Sounds like a winner !
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:26:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think all the above are good reasons... to me the appeal of the AK is the same as that of the Glock: cheap, good and durable. Unfortunately, AK prices seem to be catching up with AR prices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of reasons:

5. I agree.

Yea #6 was a joke.

i don't think you can call glocks cheap considering what you're getting. sure they're durable and reliable, but i feel that they're priced a little high considering materials used and amount made/sold.

ak prices catcghing up with ar prices? i wish ak prices would drop like a rock like ar prices have over the last year.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Only prob I have with the G2 in my Romy G build is the crazy amount of over travel.

Comparing a Tapco G2 to a aftermarket AR trigger is like comparing a - Glock trigger to a Custom 1911 trigger. Not even the same ball park. The dimensional differences between AK receivers have to make it damn near impossible.

I will try an ALG trigger, if/when it comes out. I run ACTs in my ARs ad I love them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:10:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Should be fantastic.

Awesome.
I will buy for 50

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top