Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/22/2014 5:12:37 PM EDT
can anyone tell me if these are good AKs?

looking to get one soon if they are decent-accuracy, parts availability and reliability.
been an AR guy, but im looking to get a good AK for 0-300 meters or so.

thanks!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Asking if a Saiga is a good rifle is like asking if a Ferrari is a reasonably fast car. Yes, they are, but there are two basic types, one more desirable than the other. Both are genuine Russian rifles made at the Izhevsk Plant with the first type being the sporter version which has been very modified at the factory to lose all the evil features. They look like a cross between an AK and a semi-auto hunting rifle. They can be backward modified to their original glory, but you'll have a few extra holes in the receiver where the trigger group was moved from. You'll also have to install a bullet guide, change the gas block and install a new FSB, to name a few things. Some companies sell a semi-converted version where some of these things have already been done.
The other Saiga's are the Legions. They are civilian versions of the AK-100 series of rifles. These are much more desirable. Unfortunately, all types of Saigas have been banned from further importation by our President. As with anything no longer obtainable, the value of these rifles has increased quite a bit recently. When I got my first Legion, I paid $500. The next one cost me $800. Now, you can't touch them for under $1000. Most of the Legions are hovering around $1500 and the Sporters are in the $600+ range.

Uncoverted Siaga Sporter. Notice the location of the trigger and trigger guard in relation to the magazine, then compare it to the next Saiga.

Partially converted Saiga Sporter. These are done here after being imported as Sporters.

My two Legions, one in 7.62x39, the other in 5.45x39.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
what is a decent priced <1000 bucks but available new ak?

thanks!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]
This will cover the basics.

Are you talking unconverted sporter or converted? 7.62, 5.56, 5.45?

Saiga rifles are good to go as far as performance goes, some complain about the finish.

Parts can be a little weird and I'm not the most knowledgeable guy on this area. Assuming your looking at a 7.62X39 rifle they are NOT standard AKM for some parts. Bolt and bolt carrier are like an AKM/AK-74 hybrid, with sanctions now in place future parts may be interesting. SLR-107 parts may fit to some degree but I'm not sure, someone with more knowledge will hopefully fill us in. But as far as furniture and standard accessories made for an AKM they will fit just fine. I believe the 5.45 guns are standard AK-74. Again I believe there is not standardization for 5.56 AKs, so good luck with that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

thanks!
View Quote

You won't go wrong
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

thanks!
View Quote

SLR-107FR is the best buy at $1,000

Click me PM them for the arfcom discount - should be at a grand shipped

ETA: should of read the whole thread
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I forgot...there's one more version of the Saiga Sporter, the models converted by Russian Weapons Company. These have been converted as much as possible, with the only outward obvious indications of their Sporter origins being the extra holes above the grip (where the FCG used to reside), plus the lack of lugs on the FSB or gas block.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top