Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 2:22:40 AM EDT
I'm curious to know the options for integrated VFG-handguards for the AK-74. I am not interested in using a railed handguard.

Romy G's have the wooden one that is incorporated into the bottom handguard, as seen here:

I also know that there are polymer or bakelite handguard/VFG's:

My questions are:
(1) are these available for the AK-74?
(2) if so, where do I purchase them?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:41:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The wooden handguard can be had on "For Sale" sections of forums from time to time. Vendors like Apex Gun Parts. The second one is a very rare and few were imported. When you come across a set like that then expect to pay around $300.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:17:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Are there any US-made polymer handguards with the integrated VFG? I don't need the original com-bloc.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:19:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Not that I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Why rule out railed handguards? I use this LHV-47 lower with a magpul RVG.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#6]
buy a Magpul 7 slot 3" rail section, drill (2) holes in the bottom of your factory handguard, screw it in, done..........I have had this setup for a year now and it works perfect for a VFG

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Nowadays, screwing in a small rail section is the way to go.
When I put my first vfg on, I had to drill a hole through the handguard, and run a bolt through it and the vfg.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
buy a Magpul 7 slot 3" rail section, drill (2) holes in the bottom of your factory handguard, screw it in, done..........I have had this setup for a year now and it works perfect for a VFG

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s92/chargeron24s/IMG_5432_zps019166fc.jpg

View Quote

Was going to post this. I bought the Magpul MVG and with my trusty dremel mounted it on my Plum hand guard. Works great for me, especially for the cost.

I'll see if I have a pic laying around.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The one in the top pictures seems like they are about $14.00

I can tell you that you can run a 75 rd drum very fast and the hand doesn't get hot. then shoot some more 30 rds and no problem. Sometimes there maybe some smoke.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Just to show another option for you, I've always thought these were cool looking, but from what I understand, most people don't like the ergonomics. I've seen some airsoft ones that are real, laminated wood, made for full sized AKs. I don't see why that wouldn't work, if you don't mind the airsoft stigma.

All of that being said, the best way to do it is probably what Sublimeon24s and MisterPX said, just add a rail section to stock handguards, and put a VFG on that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#11]

You could try something like this.

(It's what I plan on doing when I get my AK)
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Take the end of a wood broom stick about 4" long and a wood screw through the bottom handguard. Bam you have a forward grip.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Will those work on a Romanian?  

Will they allow use of an Ultimak?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes, and I think so, there is no interference with the upper handguard and gas tub . They feel pretty nice without the rails.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Mag = vertical foregrip
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yes, and I think so, there is no interference with the upper handguard and gas tub . They feel pretty nice without the rails.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top