Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/31/2014 12:53:56 PM EDT
I've been out of the AK world for awhile, last one I had was an SGL-21 that I bought for $599 if that tells you anything.
I'm wanting to get back into AK's, but the market sure has changed.
I thought about an SLR-107, but at $950+ I just can't really talk myself into it if the N-pap is a good buy at $530, and since I buy a spare of every gun that ends up being almost $1000 difference.
I have watched some reviews on the N-Pap, and it seems like I good buy. I have a few questions though.

-Is the N-Pap comparable to the Arsenal AK's in quality? Nutnfancy(yeah, i know some hate him) said they are even nicer than Arsenal, do you guys that own them agree?
-Is the non-chrome barrel a big deal? I don't shoot corrosive, and I plan to shoot mostly Golden Tiger or Silver Bear, and I clean guns every time they are shot. Any special precautions/cleaning changes from a chromed gun?
-Will it take standard AK pistol grips? I plan on getting a krebs adapter, ace block, and ace folder. Then an ultimak tube, hogue yugo foregrip, and US palm pistol grip. will any of those not fit?
-Do I need to inspect in person like a WASR from the old days? I can't find any N-Paps locally, so I'm thinking about ordering online. are they mostly good to go, or should I inspect before i buy?

Thanks in advance for any answers, also just wondering what the general opinion on the N-Pap guns are, or basically anything else I should know about them.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The N-pap's are really high quality rifles made in Serbia by Zastava.  I have Arsenal's, Vepr's and Pap's.  In my opinion, my O-pap and N-pap are as high of quality as either.  When I received my Arsenal's, my first impression was cool, nice rifles.  I was much more impressed when I received my O-pap.  For the money, it was a great deal.

I don't think that the non chrome lined barrel is a big deal.  Theoretically, the non chrome lined hammer forged barrel is more accurate.  If you take care of your rifle, then it is really not even an issue to consider.

The Pap's do use some standard parts like grips and mags.  More aftermarket parts are becoming available.  If you are wanting a lot of tactical accessories, a Wasr may be a better option, since they can use most any AKM aftermarket part.  

I would think that you would have no problem ordering one online.  I ordered both mine online.  AIM or Atlantic would probably take care of you if you notified them promptly of any issues with the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've been out of the AK world for awhile, last one I had was an SGL-21 that I bought for $599 if that tells you anything.
I thought about an SLR-107, but at $950+ I just can't really talk myself into it if the N-pap is a good buy at $530, and since I buy a spare of every gun that ends up being almost $1000 difference.
I have watched some reviews on the N-Pap, and it seems like I good buy. I have a few questions though.

-Is the N-Pap comparable to the Arsenal AK's in quality? Nutnfancy(yeah, i know some hate him) said they are even nicer than Arsenal, do you guys that own them agree?
-Is the non-chrome barrel a big deal? I don't shoot corrosive, and I plan to shoot mostly Golden Tiger or Silver Bear, and I clean guns every time they are shot. Any special precautions/cleaning changes from a chromed gun?
-Will it take standard AK pistol grips? I plan on getting a krebs adapter, ace block, and ace folder. Then an ultimak tube, hogue yugo foregrip, and US palm pistol grip. will any of those not fit?
-Do I need to inspect in person like a WASR from the old days? I can't find any N-Paps locally, so I'm thinking about ordering online. are they mostly good to go, or should I inspect before i buy?

Thanks in advance for any answers, also just wondering what the general opinion on the N-Pap guns are, or basically anything else I should know about them.

View Quote

1. That's a bit of a hornets nest. My NPAP is as nice as any AK I've ever handled, Arsenal included. Not every rifle is going to be that way. I'll skirt the issue and just say that some are better, some are worse and there is a fair bit of overlap between them.
2. Not having a chrome lined barrel is not a bug deal, no matter what anybody tells you. It's not full auto, so if you're cleaning it after each use and not doing mag dump after mag dump, you and your NPAP will have a long, happy life together. There are no special cleaning precautions, other than to run wet patch down the barrel with the cleaner/preservative of your choice (which I do on every gun I own).
3. I'm not 100% on the US Palm grip. I suspect it'll fit out of the box, but if not it can't be too much effort to make it work. I see plenty of them on Yugo rifles. As the the stock adapter, the NPAP does have two rivets inside the end of the receiver. Supposedly Krebs has redesigned their adapter to clear these rivets, but I can't confirm that. You may have to dremel a tiny bit to make the adapter fit properly (for the ACE adapter, you will have to do this). There are pictures here showing what needs to be done. It really is just minor surgery.
4. Canted sights, as you already know, are a fact of life when it comes to AK ownership. That's no different for NPAPs. 90%+ will be gtg from the factory. Atlantic will give your NPAP a quick , cursory inspection before they ship your rifle, so  if you buy from them you can buy with confidence. From any other online retailer I recommend you inspect it thoroughly before accepting the transfer. I have a couple of PAPs and mine came straight as an arrow.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys. If some have canted sights, I'll prolly make a drive this weekend to the biggest gunstore in my state, surely they will have some to inspect.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The nonchrome barrel isn't an issue. Compared to my Arsenal I'd say the quality of NPAP  isn't quite as good,  but it's more than good enough.  The NPAP takes standard AK pistol grips. The only real warning I can give is clean it before you shoot it,  mine had a lot of metal shavings in the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

... Compared to my Arsenal I'd say the quality of NPAP  isn't quite as good,  but it's more than good enough.  
View Quote

Pretty much this.  You'd certainly save a good deal by getting two N-PAPs over two SLRs.  But if I could only have one, I'm taking the Arsenal every time.  Same with the chrome lining; if I have a choice, then I want it.  

In case you haven't come across this yet, be sure not to use solvent on an Arsenal, as the paint will come off.  Stick to Ballistol or CLP.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

1. That's a bit of a hornets nest. My NPAP is as nice as any AK I've ever handled, Arsenal included. Not every rifle is going to be that way. I'll skirt the issue and just say that some are better, some are worse and there is a fair bit of overlap between them.
2. Not having a chrome lined barrel is not a bug deal, no matter what anybody tells you. It's not full auto, so if you're cleaning it after each use and not doing mag dump after mag dump, you and your NPAP will have a long, happy life together. There are no special cleaning precautions, other than to run wet patch down the barrel with the cleaner/preservative of your choice (which I do on every gun I own).
3. I'm not 100% on the US Palm grip. I suspect it'll fit out of the box, but if not it can't be too much effort to make it work. I see plenty of them on Yugo rifles. As the the stock adapter, the NPAP does have two rivets inside the end of the receiver. Supposedly Krebs has redesigned their adapter to clear these rivets, but I can't confirm that. You may have to dremel a tiny bit to make the adapter fit properly (for the ACE adapter, you will have to do this). There are pictures here showing what needs to be done. It really is just minor surgery.
4. Canted sights, as you already know, are a fact of life when it comes to AK ownership. That's no different for NPAPs. 90%+ will be gtg from the factory. Atlantic will give your NPAP a quick , cursory inspection before they ship your rifle, so  if you buy from them you can buy with confidence. From any other online retailer I recommend you inspect it thoroughly before accepting the transfer. I have a couple of PAPs and mine came straight as an arrow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You no longer have to modify the ACE stock adapter for the N PAP. The last one I ordered was already machined out on both sides for the rivets. It dropped right in, fit nice and tight, just tighten the bolt and go. Had my whole folder assembly on and going in about 7 minutes. These really are great rifles. I PREFER chrome lined barrels but definatly not an issue worth considering.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You no longer have to modify the ACE stock adapter for the N PAP. The last one I ordered was already machined out on both sides for the rivets. It dropped right in, fit nice and tight, just tighten the bolt and go. Had my whole folder assembly on and going in about 7 minutes.
View Quote

That's great to know.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

NPAPs are excellent rifles.     Here's my review that should show some of the details.   Also, there are several companies working on some adaptors now; not just ACE so that's a good thing.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#9]
O Pap fixed stock, N Pap underfolder.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I am trying to make the same decision - Arsenal vs NPAP. Arsenal is $1K, but if you add up the npap at $525 or so plus the adapter plus the hinge plus the stock, it puts you about $250 away from an Arsenal. Only thing I don't like about the Arsenal AK47s is the AK74 brake.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got mine and everything seemed to be great.  Found a used Krebs stock adapter and I'm going to put to use a Ace skeleton folder I had laying around.  Got an RS Regulate scope mount and a Nikon P-300 2-7X scope to try out on it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top