Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/28/2014 4:33:47 PM EDT
Seeking opinions on the value of using a recoil buffer on my new WASR...
I'm a 1911 guy and I never found them to be worth a damn, but I have no clue if it's worthwhile installing one in a AK...
Help?

Paul
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Waste of money. Just like they are in 1911's.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
not unless the bolt carrier is popping off the rails while you are firing it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Even then. Fix it properly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#4]
FPNI
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can spend hundreds to "fix it properly" or $15 on a buffer so it will work properly.  GARY
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can spend hundreds to "fix it properly" or $15 on a buffer so it will work properly.  GARY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It'll cost you hundreds of dollars for a little bead of weld?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#7]
A buffer does exactly what the designer intended it to do.
Unfortunately, what the designer of the buffer intended was to separate you from your money.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you bought a brand new car and discovered that the muffler had a large hole in it would you wrap it with a muffler bandage? The rest of us would return the car and insist that the dealer repair or replace it.

If you buy a new WASR which has a problem with the receiver which causes the carrier to leave the rails, the intelligent thing to do is to return the rifle to the retailer or to send the rifle to Century, not install the functional equivalent of a muffler bandage.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#9]
If you buy a Wasr that's new to you, & it was built over a year ago whether you're the first owner, or not, there's no warranty. Century's 1 year warranty starts the day they ship the gun from their factory, not the day the first owner buys it. I see many "new" Wasr's on dealer's tables at gun shows where the warranty has already expired. The "correct" way to fix these guns is to replace the receiver. Welding on the receiver, or using a buffer is just a band aid, but does work. Funny thing, my .308 Saiga which I bought brand new came with a buffer. So do Mini Draco's. All my AK's, & FAL's have buffers & work perfectly. Do I need them, I don't know, but I feel much better knowing they are there. GARY
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Funny that everyone is saying they are a waste of money, yet the new Galil ACE seems to have them standard.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmm..., well maybe the best answer for me at this point is if the WASR has a buffer already installed when I open the box, then I'll give it a try, if it's not there I'll leave things alone.

Thanks again for all the responses!

Paul
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you buy a Wasr that's new to you, & it was built over a year ago whether you're the first owner, or not, there's no warranty. Century's 1 year warranty starts the day they ship the gun from their factory, not the day the first owner buys it. I see many "new" Wasr's on dealer's tables at gun shows where the warranty has already expired. The "correct" way to fix these guns is to replace the receiver. Welding on the receiver, or using a buffer is just a band aid, but does work. Funny thing, my .308 Saiga which I bought brand new came with a buffer. So do Mini Draco's. All my AK's, & FAL's have buffers & work perfectly. Do I need them, I don't know, but I feel much better knowing they are there. GARY
View Quote

Consumer Warranty Policy, see #1.  Must have changed that policy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's another warranty. Check out #2. I wonder which one is in force now?
http://www.centuryarms.com/warranty/NewWarrantyPolicy.pdf
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The "correct" way to fix these guns is to replace the receiver. Welding on the receiver, or using a buffer is just a band aid, but does work.
View Quote

How do you figure that welding the receiver is a band aid? Last I checked, weld doesn't need to be replaced (if done properly), and furthermore you can't even tell it was done when properly blended.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here's another warranty. Check out #2. I wonder which one is in force now?
http://www.centuryarms.com/warranty/NewWarrantyPolicy.pdf
View Quote

That is the distributor warranty.
The consumer warranty begins on the date of sale to the consumer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#16]
So if a store buys the gun from a distributor, the warranty expires 1 year after the gun ships, but yet if the gun is sold retail, the warranty starts again & lasts for a year after the retail sale. That's confusing.  How would a store, or distributor know the gun was bad, since it is never shot until the retail sale is made?  Unless Century thinks their products are so desirable they get sold 3 days after the store receives them. GARY
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So if a store buys the gun from a distributor, the warranty expires 1 year after the gun ships, but yet if the gun is sold retail, the warranty starts again & lasts for a year after the retail sale. That's confusing.  How would a store, or distributor know the gun was bad, since it is never shot until the retail sale is made?  Unless Century thinks their products are so desirable they get sold 3 days after the store receives them. GARY
View Quote

Demo guns, guns that have obvious defects...just brainstorming.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top