Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2014 10:47:16 AM EDT
I have a Zastava N-PAP Underfolder that came with a polished bolt carrier.. I'm wanting to swap this out for a black bolt carrier.. It's for cosmetic reasons and I've got the extra money to spend so why not?

Can anyone direct me to a link where I can purchase such thing?

I've checked through numerous forums and threads regarding headspace.. There seem to be mixed emotions about this topic.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Swapping the carrier shouldn't change anything to do with headspace, its the bolt.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Does this imply that I could in theory, order a black bolt carrier and it would work with my existing polished bolt?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does this imply that I could in theory, order a black bolt carrier and it would work with my existing polished bolt?
View Quote
Yes. Years ago I installed a Galil bolt carrier in my AK after changing the gas piston. GARY
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.

However the better deal would just be getting your current stuff coated, plated, or whatever you want.  I don't know if their is anything unique about Npap carriers, or availability of replacements.

For all I know npap uses the same thing as Romanian, I just don't know.  I know the bolt heads on some PAP's look different.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I see.. I was debating whether or not to coat it.. Any tried and tested methods/products that you know of?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I see.. I was debating whether or not to coat it.. Any tried and tested methods/products that you know of?
View Quote

What do you want it to look like?

For example, I'm pretty sure the black on my SLR-107 bolt is paint.  And not very good paint.

If I wanted it to survive I might consider having it parkerized and then moly coated..  If I wanted it to be somewhat durable and somewhat cheap I would use Brownells alumihyde in gloss black.  Somewhere in between the two extremes would be ceracoat.  

For a park and moly I would send it out.  For ceracoat I would send it out.  Alumihyde is a decent home finish.  I used it in the past on Saiga conversions.  Its more durable than the drunken Krylon the russians used.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]
De-grease, cold blue it, then paint with Aluma-Hyde II.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Take your current one, sand/blast it, paint it, profit.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I ended up hand sanding it for about 5 minutes with 150 grit sandpaper. I then sprayed it with a coat of Rust-Oleum High Heat. The color and finish looks great. I'm going to spray one more coat in an hour then put it in the oven.

Hopefully this will hold up to use!

Anyone done it like this before?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I used the rustolem hi heat on a FSB that I cut welds off of.  I found the paint to be strange.  After you bake it rub it with a cloth, it seems to get a shinny almost blued finish to it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Duplicate.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#12]
This stuff is supposed to be able to withstand up to 2000F and is "Gas & Oil Resistant". Hopefully that's all true

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd sand it can cold blue it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I think it turned out okay! It rubs a tad bit above the Carrier Pull so It's got a little of the original polished finish showing through.. Hopefully the finish holds up! If not, I'll just strip it and try bluing it next time.

Before!

image hosting more than 5mb

After!

upload an image
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Blued/black Yugo bolt carriers aren't that expensive. If you don't like the paint, I'd think it'd be cheaper to buy one than to blue yours. I could be wrong though.....
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top