Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/23/2014 5:43:26 AM EDT
What's the overall consensus on underfolders?  I've heard some folks say that you can't really be accurate with them because you can't get a good cheek weld.  But, I've seen other folks that seem to like them.  Be able to fold the rifle to a compact size appeals to me, but not if can't hit anything with it.....
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had 2 Norinco underfolders. Accuracy was just fine out to 100-110 yards...  Minute of helmet guaranteed, minute of soda can takes practice, but definitely do-able.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:12:33 AM EDT
[#2]
They look cool and every AK collector must have one but they are not very practical because of the cheek weld and uncomfortable recoil (metal bar banging into your cheek bone)

The 100 series poly folder found on the SLR107-FR is compact when folded, quicker to deploy and very comfortable to shoot. You also have the option of optic rail with the poly folder
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#3]
There's reason why the Soviets switched to the side folder

My opinion is the underfolder looks cool, in all practicality it is slow to deploy and the folder doesn't fit over mags past 30 rounds, plus after time the stock gets wobbly

Side folder or fixed are better for all intensive purposes
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My opinion is the underfolder looks cool, in all practicality it is slow to deploy and the folder doesn't fit over mags past 30 rounds, plus after time the stock gets wobbly

View Quote
One of the most commonly mis constructed idiomatic expressions. It should be "for all intents and purposes".

As for the OP, the side folder is a much better value. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What's the overall consensus on underfolders?
View Quote

There is no consensus.
Some people have no problem with them, others really dislike shooting them. Other peoples' opinions on matters which amount to individual preference are meaningless. If you have a need for a more compact rifle find a way to try an underfolder and one or more side folders. Buy the one which works for you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Hate
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One of the most commonly mis constructed idiomatic expressions. It should be "for all intents and purposes".    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ah my bad, ya, here's what I mean: fixed stocks and side folders are better for aiming and shooting, and side folders give you that ability plus the compactness of an underfolder
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#8]
There's no question a fixed stock provides a better cheek weld, but I personally have no issues with underfolders.

Extremely compact, very slim profile and I have no issues shooting mine well. Out to 100 yards and a little further with irons is no problem.

I don't ask much more from my AK's.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#9]
While I like under folders, I prefer side folders better. Once an under folder, always an under folder. But with a Romy side folder, it can be removed & the original butt stock replaced in a minute when the mood changes.  GARY
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I like them, but certainly prefer a fixed stock rifle.  Currently have three underfolders.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Can you be accurate with an under Folder?  Of course you can.  But that's not what the designers had in mind when they came up with a folding stock.

Folding stocks are for compactness.  They compromise other features, like ruggedness, for the ability to easily egress a vehicle with the firearm in hand.

If your mission is one that requires accuracy then you want a fixed stock.  Notice that most precision rifles don't have folding stocks.

If your mission requires a compact firearm until you unass a vehicle, then a folder of some variety is fine.  Side or under will depend on your preferences.  I have both.  I like both.  If I had to take a folder into harm's way I think I'd go with the side folder.

But really, the AK in my safe that I would feel the best with if I knew I was marching into a firefight is a fixed stock version.

One last point - accuracy comes from lots of good practice.  If the under folder ergonomics will keep you from practicing enough to be proficient then you should get something else.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the most commonly misspelled verbs. It should be misconstructed.

Underfolder is not as bulky as sidefolder.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is no consensus.
Some people have no problem with them, others really dislike shooting them. Other peoples' opinions on matters which amount to individual preference are meaningless. If you have a need for a more compact rifle find a way to try an underfolder and one or more side folders. Buy the one which works for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the overall consensus on underfolders?

There is no consensus.

Well put.  This thread would be better titled "What's your opinion of the underfolder?"

I have one underfolder, one fixed stock RPK, and everything else is a mix of sidefolders.  The underfolder is a very "classic" Soviet look, with ergonomics right out of WW2.  It was designed for compactness in tanks/armor.  It works for that at the cost of shootability.  Sure, the barrel's the same but the underfolder doesn't shoulder as well with the U-shaped piece and it's short.  Recoil is more unpleasant.  I put one of the grenade-launching buttpads on it and it improves the ergos significantly with a more secure footprint on the shoulder and more length.

The sidefolders are far, far superior in my opinion.  If you're into collecting, you need an underfolder, but if you're looking for a working rifle, a sidefolder of the Bulgarian/Russian type is probably superior.  I like the Romanian/East German ones a lot as well.  The right-folding allows you to keep your optic on the rail where the left-folding type do not.  Cheekweld is better with the left-folding ones.

Try 'em all, buy the one(s) that works best for you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Echo93 makes a little plastic piece that you can snap in at the range to greatly improve the cheek weld.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I can shoot an underfolder just fine.  It is less comfortable,  but no problem.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
They look cool but I don't want one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an underfolder and an RPK with a clubfoot stock.  Both are good for me.  There is a little more transference of recoil through the underfolder stock to your face but it's minimal in my opinion.  

Good luck with your selection!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I have no problems with mine, whether it be with comfort, accuracy, or getting  on the sights. HOWEVER, as someone has already pointed out, they are slow and cumbersome to actuate. It's not something I'd ever want to have to do in a crisis situation. I like my UF, I think everyone should own one, but it's hard to recommend one over a side folder.

That said, a good UF can be had for less $$$ than a good SF.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:24:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If your mission is one that requires accuracy then you want a fixed stock.  Notice that most precision rifles don't have folding stocks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If your mission is one that requires accuracy you want something other than an AK. Notice that most precision rifles aren't AK's.

And

Quoted:
There's no question a fixed stock provides a better cheek weld, but I personally have no issues with underfolders.

Extremely compact, very slim profile and I have no issues shooting mine well. Out to 100 yards and a little further with irons is no problem.

I don't ask much more from my AK's.

This ^
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one fixed, one underfolder (both 7.62).  I can shoot one just as well as the other, but mastering the underfolder takes practice.  As stated the actuation is slow and awkward and I wouldn't want to walk into an ambush with it folded and slung over my shoulder.  

I'm a fan of the Krebs enhanced selector and have one on my fixed rifle but can't add the selector or optic side mount to the underfolder.  

The underfolder in my opinion is best left in standard configuration and shot with irons only.  It would make a great rifle for a driver, combat engineer, radio man, or medic (front line personnel who need a weapon but also need both hands to perform specialized tasks) with more firepower than a pistol or subgun can deliver,  which was it's intended purpose.  Try one then decide for yourself.  When I bought mine (Polish AKMS) the wife hated it but since she shot it it's her favorite centerfire rifle now (her primary was a 727 Clone, now it's the underfolder).  I wrapped the stock arm with paracord.  It instantly improved the cheek weld and still folds as intended.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Needing to accurately shoot people is a pretty intensive purpose

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:53:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Great car gun. I couldnt group worth a damn at 100yd but maybe i just need practice
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hate
View Quote

Same. Would rather have no stock. But some people love them. Have to try it for yourself.

Stocks are very much personal preference, just like with AR's (I like a SOPMOD style sloped cheek rest, many don't).
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#24]
AMD65-tech makes a cheek riser that keeps the compactness.

Might be worth checking out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Can be difficult and uncomfortable to get a good check weld,stocks can start to get loose after awhile.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I had zero problems getting a cheek weld with an underfolder.  The side folder is less comfortable than an underfolder because it's narrower and stiffer.

The only issue I ever had with an underfolder is that the top of it tends to catch on your shirt or jacket when shouldering, and there is no where to store the cleaning kit.

After many underfolders and wire side folders, I've gone back to a solid stock in warsaw length.  Just feels right.

Still love the look of folding stocks, but still prefer solid stock.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top