Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
IWI's facebook page is asking if people like the first arm brace model like above or this model with the triangle cut out

personally I like it better

also a video regarding the rifle, looks like tritium night sights will be standard
IWI youtube
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It’s true, this price point won’t appeal to all potential buyers.  But here’s the thing…it doesn’t have to.

Yes, you can use that money to instead buy an AR pistol, an AK pistol, or a trip to see the in-laws in Kansas.  But none of those things will be an Israeli-made ACE.  Especially your father-in-law in Kansas who drinks too much and says wildly inappropriate things in public.

But I digress...    

When companies come out with something of a niche/different rifle like this, the goal isn’t to please everyone.  Companies that try to please everyone often please no one.  Nah, the goal here is only to find enough people who see value in the offering such that they’re willing to pay for it.  In that regard I suspect the ACE will sell just fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice MAC! I always wanted a Galil. I'm hoping around $1000. Like someone mentioned...if It's higher, then I'd rather have an Arsenal.

When discussing price on the ACE, and in particular when comparing that price to AK's, it's important to remember that Israel isn't Bulgaria (or Russia, or Romania, or Serbia, etc.).  Israel is a first-world country with first-world wages.  Any quality firearm produced there will likely be priced as if that same firearm was made in the U.S.  Perhaps even more, since you also have to account for importation costs like transport, customs brokers, taxes (excise, duty and customs), etc.

I wouldn't expect to see this sold for much less than $1,300 at the low end.

If that's the case, I'll pass and buy a "first world" AR pistol. It's a shame cause I really wanted one.

It’s true, this price point won’t appeal to all potential buyers.  But here’s the thing…it doesn’t have to.

Yes, you can use that money to instead buy an AR pistol, an AK pistol, or a trip to see the in-laws in Kansas.  But none of those things will be an Israeli-made ACE.  Especially your father-in-law in Kansas who drinks too much and says wildly inappropriate things in public.

But I digress...    

When companies come out with something of a niche/different rifle like this, the goal isn’t to please everyone.  Companies that try to please everyone often please no one.  Nah, the goal here is only to find enough people who see value in the offering such that they’re willing to pay for it.  In that regard I suspect the ACE will sell just fine.

It IS a first world country, and that's why ears stand up when they talk about bringing something to market here.  

Every single firearm IMI/IWI has brought to the US market has been a home run hit, and ultimately wind up being collectible.  Every single swing of the bat.  They tend to get things right the first time.  It's not a business decision for them...  it's a question of their continuing existence as a nation and a people.   Their military weapon designs reflect simplicity, longevity, and tolerance for extremely hard use.  

I'm waiting (and waiting) for the SiG 556xi pistol in 7.62x39 to hit the market in larger numbers at this point.

I gotta say - If the ACE pistol was here RTF now, I'd go this way (first).

I also favor the triangle brace.  

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We got to spend some serious one on one time with the the IWI Galil today and also shooting the unit , To say the least the gun is very impressive and so is the IWI team and facility . We will be posting some pics etc later this week .
View Quote

Very excited!

I think a lot of guys here think this thing was built with the US market in mind or that there will be wrinkles to fix, but this thing had been around for a # of years and is being used my a LOT of Militaries, especially Latin American ones, it will be good off the bat, hopefully SIG can give it a run for it's money, maybe competition will drop the prices?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:57:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Getting excited about these.

Going to start stashing away some loot so i can grab either the pistol or the rifle when they are released this spring
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It IS a first world country, and that's why ears stand up when they talk about bringing something to market here.  

Every single firearm IMI/IWI has brought to the US market has been a home run hit, and ultimately wind up being collectible.  Every single swing of the bat.  They tend to get things right the first time.  It's not a business decision for them...  it's a question of their continuing existence as a nation and a people.   Their military weapon designs reflect simplicity, longevity, and tolerance for extremely hard use.  

I'm waiting (and waiting) for the SiG 556xi pistol in 7.62x39 to hit the market in larger numbers at this point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice MAC! I always wanted a Galil. I'm hoping around $1000. Like someone mentioned...if It's higher, then I'd rather have an Arsenal.

When discussing price on the ACE, and in particular when comparing that price to AK's, it's important to remember that Israel isn't Bulgaria (or Russia, or Romania, or Serbia, etc.).  Israel is a first-world country with first-world wages.  Any quality firearm produced there will likely be priced as if that same firearm was made in the U.S.  Perhaps even more, since you also have to account for importation costs like transport, customs brokers, taxes (excise, duty and customs), etc.

I wouldn't expect to see this sold for much less than $1,300 at the low end.

If that's the case, I'll pass and buy a "first world" AR pistol. It's a shame cause I really wanted one.

But I digress...    

I personally dont find anything simple or long lasting about the tavor but ymmv.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We got to spend some serious one on one time with the the IWI Galil today and also shooting the unit , To say the least the gun is very impressive and so is the IWI team and facility . We will be posting some pics etc later this week .
View Quote

When can we pre-order?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Triangle brace, YES!

Will FO when the pistol model with brace appears.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pre order?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Pre order?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pre order?

Yeah, this also.

I want one to SBR.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#12]
i want that pistol bad!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to SBR the pistol with the stock that looks like the original Galil stock the Vietnamese Army is using
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:33:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IWI's facebook page is asking if people like the first arm brace model like above or this model with the triangle cut out

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10801852_573153122815212_1885080446304473650_n.jpg?oh=232b995f7a1000d5efd75fb307790a2a&oe=54E94E8B&__gda__=1423918850_4fadbb3e626f2f106a0de2403e89f8d2

also a video regarding the rifle, looks like tritium night sights will be standard
IWI youtube
View Quote

They are definitely doing this right.

Wonder if pistol with brace will be CA legal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10801852_573153122815212_1885080446304473650_n.jpg?oh=232b995f7a1000d5efd75fb307790a2a&oe=54E94E8B&__gda__=1423918850_4fadbb3e626f2f106a0de2403e89f8d2

IWI youtube

It would be... If you could get it before 01/01/2015.

Only other way to do it is if you buy one through a private party sale with an LEO. Or if you have a relative that lives in another state that would be willing to come out to CA and private party transfer it to you.

Just FYI though, the private transfer has to be done at an FFL with both of you there. Just shipping the gun to an FFL and having you pick it up won't work. And don't miss your pick up date, other wise whoever transferred it to you has to come back out and start the whole process over again.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:37:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been thinking of getting an AK47 for a while now and I'll probably pick one of these up. I'd prefer the old style charging handle, being left-handed, but it looks like a home run. Cheap AKs are a thing of the past so i might as well get an improved one. plus, i like isreal waaaaaaaaaaay more than the ruskies.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been thinking of getting an AK47 for a while now and I'll probably pick one of these up. I'd prefer the old style charging handle, being left-handed, but it looks like a home run. Cheap AKs are a thing of the past so i might as well get an improved one. plus, i like isreal waaaaaaaaaaay more than the ruskies.
View Quote

Black Friday sale at J&G is having WASR's for $399, that's pretty cheap, especially in comparison, but having this on the market is stupid exciting
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Black Friday sale at J&G is having WASR's for $399, that's pretty cheap, especially in comparison, but having this on the market is stupid exciting
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn now i feel stupid for paying $499 for mine lol. I have been impressed by the quality of it for a $500 rifle though, especially given the rep WASR's used to have. I still think i'll be picking up an ace but i'd still prefer one in 5.56 i'm set for my ruskie caliber rifles right now
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Hank Strange with IWI, long video, covers some Negev and Galil ACE stuff

YouTube Video
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#20]
If the 556xi russian's keep having issues this is definably my choice for x39 pistol.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Any idea when the 308 version will be in stock?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone know if the 7.62x39 versions use the same bolt,extractor,firing pins as an AK does or is it a one off type design?

I cant decide between the rifle or the pistol with the brace.leaning towards the rifle
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Atlantic's webpage has LOTS of up close pictures of the rifle, and they also have videos that have already been posted here

AtlanticFirearms Galil ACE Page

I hope to God that price tag is the MSRP and not the actual street price
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Atlantic's webpage has LOTS of up close pictures of the rifle, and they also have videos that have already been posted here

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Straight from IWI's FB page:
"IWI US This is embarrassing. A mistake gets made and then gets repeated again and again.

The correct MSRP for the Galil ACE pistol (in 7.62x39) is $1,749.00; pistol with stabilizing brace $1,849 and rifle is $1,899."

Quoted:
Any idea when the 308 version will be in stock?

They've said August 2015
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#26]
$1899?

Lol.

A Colt LE6940 is $1200.

Pass.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Atlantic often sells close to MSRP in my experience.

That's going to be their price, other companies will have it for $100-200 less, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#28]
If the price isnt below $1500 they will not sell many.

Guess it will be a wait and see approach on these for me.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I am glad it is coming, we need more choices and that is always a good thing.  Personally though, I find it very meh and ugly as sin.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#31]
My LGS had a dealer demo gun (i guess that's what you'd call it?), and I couldn't put it down.  Overall feel was impressive to say the least.  Mags were easy to instert and locked in tightly.  Action was smooth. Trigger pull was much better than any stock AK I've handled.  Parts fit and build quality seemed to be very high.  I'm a dyed-in-the-wool AR guy and I'm more excited about the release of this rifle than any other gun on the horizon.  It may be the gun that turns my AR's into high-dollar dust collectors.  Don't knock them until you get a chance to see one in person.  I would've considered the price a little high myself until getting the opportunity to handle one.  Seeing that IWI is the only source for these guns and given the overall quality of the weapons they build, I have zero qualms about pinching pennies to take one of these home.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#32]
What are your thoughts on the lower polymer receiver? Strong enough?

What about the tritium night sights? How do those work?

Is the well open enough for a drum?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What are your thoughts on the lower polymer receiver? Strong enough?

What about the tritium night sights? How do those work?

Is the well open enough for a drum?
View Quote

The polymer part of the receiver appears to be nothing more than the pistol grip/magazine well wrapped around the machined part of the receiver.  Was very seamless and solid.  Appears that the FCG and pins all sit in the metal part of the receiver.  This is based solely on fingerbanging the crap out of it over the course of a half hour or so, but I would have no concerns over durability.  The mag well also seemed to aid in the insertion of magazines quite well and magazine lock up was very solid.

The night sights looked to be nothing more than a tritium vial place high in the tip of the front sight post.  Was in a well lit shop, so I can't tell you how well it works, but i did cup my hand over it and it does glow.  The vial was small enough not to be a distraction when looking through the rear aperture and trying to get a good sight picture.

I have zero idea if a drum will fit, but if i had to guess, I doubt it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#34]
$1900... i would not pay more than $1100. An slr-107fr weighs less and does the same thing, hell a wasr does the same thing, other than the cool factor these are overated in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
$1900... i would not pay more than $1100. An slr-107fr weighs less and does the same thing, hell a wasr does the same thing, other than the cool factor these are overated in my opinion.
View Quote

By your reasoning, a $500 NPAP does the same thing.  News flash:  It's not the same thing.

Uninterrupted top rail for optics
tri rail handguard standard
night sights
left side charging handle
folding and collapsible stock
enlarged (one may even call it enhanced) magwell
left side thumb safety

Galil ACE: 7
Arsenal SLR: 0 (though i suppose can give it half a point for the folding stock)

I own an Arsenal SLR, I'm telling you, this gun is in a different class.  Trying to bring a standard AK up to par with the ACE would easily bring the Arsenal's cost inline with the stock Galil.  By the time you've added equivalent accessories to the Arsenal, it's also gonna weigh more than eight pounds.  Sorry that some of us like guns other than those saturating the market.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:45:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The polymer part of the receiver appears to be nothing more than the pistol grip/magazine well wrapped around the machined part of the receiver.  Was very seamless and solid.  Appears that the FCG and pins all sit in the metal part of the receiver.  This is based solely on fingerbanging the crap out of it over the course of a half hour or so, but I would have no concerns over durability.  The mag well also seemed to aid in the insertion of magazines quite well and magazine lock up was very solid.

The night sights looked to be nothing more than a tritium vial place high in the tip of the front sight post.  Was in a well lit shop, so I can't tell you how well it works, but i did cup my hand over it and it does glow.  The vial was small enough not to be a distraction when looking through the rear aperture and trying to get a good sight picture.

I have zero idea if a drum will fit, but if i had to guess, I doubt it.
View Quote

Does the bolt assembly appear to be a standard AK bolt?

Im curious if the extractor,firing pin are interchangeable with other 7.62x39 AK bolt parts for use as spares.

Did the rifle balance well when shouldered?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Can't tell you about the bolt.  Again, if I had to guess the bolt is proprietary as it is a Galil and not an AKM. The gun felt very well balanced and pointed well.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:13:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Can't tell you about the bolt.  Again, if I had to guess the bolt is proprietary as it is a Galil and not an AKM. The gun felt very well balanced and pointed well.
View Quote

Thanks.

From the pics of the bolt it looks to have a similar extractor to a AKM,of course the pics are hard to tell.I just hope they make spare parts available to purchase to the public
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:34:32 AM EDT
[#39]
AnimalMother did the top rails feel sturdy, even the removable one?  Do you think you could mount optics on the rear portion of the rail and not lose zero if you had to take it off and put it back on?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:40:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Yes.  Rifle was very solid and rugged feeling.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:17:00 AM EDT
[#41]
How was manipulating the selector switch?  Easy to reach with thumb?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

By your reasoning, a $500 NPAP does the same thing.  News flash:  It's not the same thing.

night sights
left side thumb safety

Arsenal SLR: 0 (though i suppose can give it half a point for the folding stock)

I own an Arsenal SLR, I'm telling you, this gun is in a different class.  Trying to bring a standard AK up to par with the ACE would easily bring the Arsenal's cost inline with the stock Galil.  By the time you've added equivalent accessories to the Arsenal, it's also gonna weigh more than eight pounds.  Sorry that some of us like guns other than those saturating the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

night sights
left side thumb safety

I agree a standard AK does not have all of those features (I personally can care less about) although for $1900 you can purchase: STYER AUG ($1600), TAVOR ($1600), SCAR (almost?), and many other platforms out there that are far superior in my opinion. Like I said, this is my opinion, you don't have to agree with it. The price tag on this rifle is ludacris when you can buy a TAVOR for $1600 now a days...
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I agree a standard AK does not have all of those features (I personally can care less about) although for $1900 you can purchase: STYER AUG ($1600), TAVOR ($1600), SCAR (almost?), and many other platforms out there that are far superior in my opinion. Like I said, this is my opinion, you don't have to agree with it. The price tag on this rifle is ludacris when you can buy a TAVOR for $1600 now a days...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

night sights
left side thumb safety

You can buy them at those prices now, but the examples you posted were all hovering just below $2K at one point. Prices will most likely drop after they've been available in the marketplace for a while.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Left side selector worked well.  Seemed much easier than the selector on the SAM-7SF's I've handled.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:12:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Left side selector worked well.  Seemed much easier than the selector on the SAM-7SF's I've handled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My biggest disappointment with the SAM-7K (have no experience with the SAM-7SF) was that the thumb safety/selector worked ass backwards - i.e. one pushed forward/down with the thumb to safe the weapon, and backwards/upwards to place the weapon on fire.  Does the Galil ACE's left side safety work similar to an AR like we are all used to?  Or "backwards"?

EDIT:  Saw the picture Atlantic kindly posted.  Looks like the thumb switch is orientated "right."  

A proper thumb safety makes this weapon worth the price of admission over any AK.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

night sights
left side thumb safety

Remember when the Tavor first was released they were selling for more than 2K and selling quick in small batches.Give it time to cool down and the price will follow.I agree that the price would need to be @$1500 or less for me to buy one.No way in hell will i spend more than $1500 on one of these and thats pushing my limit as it is.

Give it until late summer of 2015 and the prices will drop im sure of it,unless we see some sort of panic buying of guns.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#48]
I am curious as to what you mean when you say that the polymer lower wraps around the milled receiver.

Do you mean that the polymer lower is essentially an over-mold with milled steel underneath?

This polymer lower is the only thing that gives me pause over a traditional AK like the SLR series.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Do you mean that the polymer lower is essentially an over-mold with milled steel underneath?

View Quote

This is how i read what he meant. I'd like to know the answer too
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#50]
For me to pay that much, it would have to look like this.  GARY

http://www.thespecialistsltd.com/files/Galil_ARM.jpg
Page / 7
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top