Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Is the gun huge or is the guy holding it really small?  Seriously it's like a smurf with a bazooka
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Is the gun huge or is the guy holding it really small?  Seriously it's like a smurf with a bazooka
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Appears to be the latter the ace (according to their website), at least the version he is holding is 35.6" in length which doesn't seem overly long. I could measure it and then his torso length and get a good estimate at his height but it does appear that he's just a smaller guy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Appears to be the latter the ace (according to their website), at least the version he is holding is 35.6" in length which doesn't seem overly long. I could measure it and then his torso length and get a good estimate at his height but it does appear that he's just a smaller guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That and the female was a few inches taller than him.  Even with her in heels I wouldn't say he is a very tall guy
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting that the Galil in 308 will use AR Pmags, but I am not surprised. Galil 5.56 mags would probably not be mainstream enough, and the 308 version even more so. I am going to assume the Galil ACE 5.56 we get is the NATO version to.

Although with the lower being polymer, I do wonder if it will be able to be swapped out with rock in Galil style mags for those looking for those interested. If possible it would be nice if IWI sold conversion lowers separately.

Some random, high res pictures where you can see the lower:

Cutaway picture:

Doesn't look like it can be easily swapped out, although maybe those round things right at the polymer to metal seams are AR style push pins?

Edit: Doesn't look like push pins on the other side.

Although the receiver is obviously two pieces unlike a traditional AK. I do wonder if lowers can be swapped out. Guess we'll have to get someone with more hands on experience to chime in at a later time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A few pics I took last week

Sven
Manticore Arms

<a href="http://s131.photobucket.com/user/Dawg180/media/IMG_3239.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p296/Dawg180/IMG_3239.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s131.photobucket.com/user/Dawg180/media/IMG_3193.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p296/Dawg180/IMG_3193.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s131.photobucket.com/user/Dawg180/media/dualgalilace.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p296/Dawg180/dualgalilace.jpg</a>
View Quote

X95 x95..... Oh I love IWI ..
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Interesting that the Galil in 308 will use AR Pmags, but I am not surprised. Galil 5.56 mags would probably not be mainstream enough, and the 308 version even more so. I am going to assume the Galil ACE 5.56 we get is the NATO version to.

Although with the lower being polymer, I do wonder if it will be able to be swapped out with rock in Galil style mags for those looking for those interested. If possible it would be nice if IWI sold conversion lowers separately.

Some random, high res pictures where you can see the lower:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_J2xZmFbVGSI/TPWBWI2OYFI/AAAAAAAAVsE/Vl5ybi7JUhI/s1600/xx.JPG

Cutaway picture:
http://www.entrelibros.co/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/INDUMIL-7.jpg

Doesn't look like it can be easily swapped out, although maybe those round things right at the polymer to metal seams are AR style push pins?

Edit: Doesn't look like push pins on the other side.

http://www.altair.com.pl/files/news/photos/4/4553/i-i10-06-051ace_02.jpg

Although the receiver is obviously two pieces unlike a traditional AK. I do wonder if lowers can be swapped out. Guess we'll have to get someone with more hands on experience to chime in at a later time.
View Quote

Those pins are for the trigger assembly by the looks of it, classic AK three pin, but I'm wondering if the plastic lower is held in place by the handguard acre and something else in the front of the receiver
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#8]
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/IWI-US--Inc--Introduces-the-Galil-ACE--Pistol-for-the-US-Market.html?soid=1102126238606&aid=_6yC7JaoLKo

Press release is incorrect about MSRP. Pistol MSRP is $1749, which is about $1450 street (based on Tavor margins). Expensive, but in the envelope I expected.

OTOH, at least we've got confirmation it comes with night sights now... yay?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Press release is incorrect about MSRP. Pistol MSRP is $1749, which is about $1450 street (based on Tavor margins). Expensive, but in the envelope I expected.
View Quote

that's a much better than the $2,149 stated in the press release, that would have put it at about the real MSRP for street value
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Vietnam stated they were adopting the 7.62 x 39 ACE awhile ago.  It is not a rumor but a fact.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Vietnam stated they were adopting the 7.62 x 39 ACE awhile ago.  It is not a rumor but a fact.
View Quote

Well, if there is anybody that has a shitload of 7.62 x 39* and a stack of steel AK mags lying around, its probably those guys.

*Would be careful with the period surplus obviously. Wouldn't want one of those new Galil's to go all "Eldest Son" on them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

that's a much better than the $2,149 stated in the press release, that would have put it at about the real MSRP for street value
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too much money. They need to drop that by about $200
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]

I think the original $2150 MSRP that's what the Israeli factory wants to charge.

IWI USA probably told them for that price they would sell about 200 at the most.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think the original $2150 MSRP that's what the Israeli factory wants to charge.

IWI USA probably told them for that price they would sell about 200 at the most.
View Quote

I think they were just trying to manage expectations by setting an initial high price and then coming off.

Imagine the howls if they stated $1600 and then went up to $2000?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd say they're about $100-$200 too high. Really depends on whether they're rolling with the same margins on dealer to MSRP pricing as the Tavor. If it's a higher spread, street could be down to $1350 or so, which is expensive, but not much worse than the top-end Arsenal.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd say they're about $100-$200 too high. Really depends on whether they're rolling with the same margins on dealer to MSRP pricing as the Tavor. If it's a higher spread, street could be down to $1350 or so, which is expensive, but not much worse than the top-end Arsenal.
View Quote

$1350 and it would be a realistic competitor for the AK market, less than $1000 and it could take the AK market over
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#18]

I'd rather have one without the hoakey looking seesaw reciever gap cover. That thing just looks like it's begging to get locked up. I trust dirt in the action of the AK more than I trust dirt in the spring of that thing that could block the AK's action.

Maybe some customer reviews and dirt tests will nullify those concerns.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

IWI  said in the facebook comments that the $2149 MSRP is what we should expect for a "larger" caliber coming next year (308 I assume).
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#20]
if this doesn't come with the sig brace i ain't buying it.

Too pricey for what you get.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Right now the .308 is definitely coming and it is going to use PMAG's which I personally think is spot on for the US market.
View Quote

That's awesome.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I talked to Larry Vickers the other day.  He said he heard they (the Izzys) were setting up a factory in Viet Nam and the Vietnamese were gong to adopt the 7.62x39 Galil as their next service rifle.
View Quote

The factory is up and running as I understand it.   The photos look like a pretty slick operation.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
IWI  said in the facebook comments that the $2149 MSRP is what we should expect for a "larger" caliber coming next year (308 I assume).
View Quote

$2150 MSRP / $1750 street for the ACE 52L seems alright... that's about what the Sig 716 is priced at, and I'd sure as hell take a Galil ACE over the 716.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#24]
would like to see the 7.62x39mm rifle version below $1500, at least able to compete with the SA M7 SF
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
would like to see the 7.62x39mm rifle version below $1500, at least able to compete with the SA M7 SF
View Quote

Street price should get close to that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Galil ACE Pistol with folding Arm Brace, looks to be an original design

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I haven't heard anyone address the lower part of the receiver and how it'll hold up against steel all mags
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I haven't heard anyone address the lower part of the receiver and how it'll hold up against steel all mags
View Quote

It's a service rifle, so I'm sure its fine. Maybe steel inserts?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I would sure hope so. People still remember what steel ak mags did to the the receiver of the first generation Sig 556 Russian
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#32]
How i missed this thread i have no clue.

All i know is i definitely want one of the rifles if pricing is below $1500 and one of the pistols with the brace if under $1300

Very cool,guess this is where my tax refund check will go.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I saw that the Guatemalan National Police force (or whatever) bought 3000 7.62x39mm ACE 31's (in the US it will be called the "pistol version") of these for $4.6 million, so about $1533 per unit. So I'm guessing that's close to the street price.

Also: they bought those ACE's back around 2010, so this design has been out there and proven for quite a while, I'm sure IWI has a hold on the receiver if there were issues, I mean the Vietnamese wouldn't be purchasing it for their military if it did
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#35]
anyone got a pic of the brace from the back? looks very slim.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#36]
I can't see how that brace is going to happen in form on the artist's rendition.  SIG bought the patent rights for the original brace design, correct?  That is not even a concealed knockoff of a recognized patent and I bet SIG's legal team is all kinds of ready to pound IWI with a suit if they even think about putting something that derivative out.  If you want to use a 'brace', I'd say one of the two variants from SIG are going to be the only way to go (unless they're paying a hefty fee to license for their use).
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Sig uses the design under a license agreement. Anyone who makes a similar agreement with the patent owner can do it. That's why sig and century both make braces that are pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would be real happy to put one of these next to my SAM7SF. I have a feeling it might get as low as 1300-1200 for the first shipment if the market stays cold and they are sitting in a warehouse. Maybe I'm just dreaming. Didn't arsenal offer a stupidly cheap price on the first shipment of SAM7SFs, as a way to get them out and acknowledged quickly? Maybe IWI will take a play from that book.... Though I'm not that lucky.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would be real happy to put one of these next to my SAM7SF. I have a feeling it might get as low as 1300-1200 for the first shipment if the market stays cold and they are sitting in a warehouse. Maybe I'm just dreaming. Didn't arsenal offer a stupidly cheap price on the first shipment of SAM7SFs, as a way to get them out and acknowledged quickly? Maybe IWI will take a play from that book.... Though I'm not that lucky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got my SA M7 SF (American made version) back in 2006ish timeframe for around $1199... I think? Ya that or $1099, but I remember it being under $1200
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Vietnam ACE's, look at the buttstock, should be a good sign for guys who want the metal triangle folder

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#42]

That doesn't look like a traditional Galil stock. Looks like the version the Galil MAR has:

I would prefer the regular Galil ACE stock anyways. I think Vietnam wanted a side folder, and at the time IWI only offered a collapsible M4 style stock with the ACE. The ACE rifles coming to the USA use a similar stock, but it can fold making it the best of both worlds (I assume it is durable).

Original stock:

Original ACE stock which did not fold:
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Look at the stock in the table in the lower left of this pic, I think you're right, but it looks like they subtracted some weight from the tube by removing excess metal

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

SIG does not own the patent rights to the brace, the original designer of the brace still holds the patents.

SIG has a contract for a fixed period (one or two years, I forget exactly) exclusive for the brace that fits on the AR-15 buffer tube, Century has a contract for a fixed period exclusive for the one for the AK-47.  

The manufacturer of the brace did one specific for the Galil ACE for IWI, and that is what you are seeing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't see how that brace is going to happen in form on the artist's rendition.  SIG bought the patent rights for the original brace design, correct?  That is not even a concealed knockoff of a recognized patent and I bet SIG's legal team is all kinds of ready to pound IWI with a suit if they even think about putting something that derivative out.  If you want to use a 'brace', I'd say one of the two variants from SIG are going to be the only way to go (unless they're paying a hefty fee to license for their use).

SIG does not own the patent rights to the brace, the original designer of the brace still holds the patents.

SIG has a contract for a fixed period (one or two years, I forget exactly) exclusive for the brace that fits on the AR-15 buffer tube, Century has a contract for a fixed period exclusive for the one for the AK-47.  

The manufacturer of the brace did one specific for the Galil ACE for IWI, and that is what you are seeing.

The guy who holds the patent has to be getting rich off his design.  And rightfully so, it was a clever idea for its intended use, and the secondary use makes it even better
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Does anyone know if the polymer lower on the Galil Ace is an over-mold or just polymer?
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The guy who holds the patent has to be getting rich off his design.  And rightfully so, it was a clever idea for its intended use, and the secondary use makes it even better
View Quote

I'm happy too because from my understanding the guy who made it was a disabled veteran with an amputated arm who invested a LOT of money and effort into the design, so he deserves everything he gets And more IMHO
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:09:53 AM EDT
[#47]
I believe the stock is polymer, but the locking latch portion is steel. I don't know if this will necessarily be true of the civilian guns (ie, polymer latch).

Not sure about the lower. Would be surprised if it was heavily reinforced, given the weight savings.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:19:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

When discussing price on the ACE, and in particular when comparing that price to AK's, it's important to remember that Israel isn't Bulgaria (or Russia, or Romania, or Serbia, etc.).  Israel is a first-world country with first-world wages.  Any quality firearm produced there will likely be priced as if that same firearm was made in the U.S.  Perhaps even more, since you also have to account for importation costs like transport, customs brokers, taxes (excise, duty and customs), etc.

I wouldn't expect to see this sold for much less than $1,300 at the low end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice MAC! I always wanted a Galil. I'm hoping around $1000. Like someone mentioned...if It's higher, then I'd rather have an Arsenal.

When discussing price on the ACE, and in particular when comparing that price to AK's, it's important to remember that Israel isn't Bulgaria (or Russia, or Romania, or Serbia, etc.).  Israel is a first-world country with first-world wages.  Any quality firearm produced there will likely be priced as if that same firearm was made in the U.S.  Perhaps even more, since you also have to account for importation costs like transport, customs brokers, taxes (excise, duty and customs), etc.

If that's the case, I'll pass and buy a "first world" AR pistol. It's a shame cause I really wanted one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for $1450 I'll pony up the cash today for a preorder
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If that's the case, I'll pass and buy a "first world" AR pistol. It's a shame cause I really wanted one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice MAC! I always wanted a Galil. I'm hoping around $1000. Like someone mentioned...if It's higher, then I'd rather have an Arsenal.

It’s true, this price point won’t appeal to all potential buyers.  But here’s the thing…it doesn’t have to.

Yes, you can use that money to instead buy an AR pistol, an AK pistol, or a trip to see the in-laws in Kansas.  But none of those things will be an Israeli-made ACE.  Especially your father-in-law in Kansas who drinks too much and says wildly inappropriate things in public.

But I digress...    

When companies come out with something of a niche/different rifle like this, the goal isn’t to please everyone.  Companies that try to please everyone often please no one.  Nah, the goal here is only to find enough people who see value in the offering such that they’re willing to pay for it.  In that regard I suspect the ACE will sell just fine.
Page / 7
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top