Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:15:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's between this or the Sig XXI or whatever in 7.62x39.

Let's see which one comes to market first, and at what price points.

View Quote

I trust IWI a lot more than SIG when it comes to QC and ironing out bugs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]
AK mags, left hand charging, folding stock.  

I want it.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:14:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if the top cover will fit on the "old school" style Galil?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:29:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Ugh not what I was hoping for, I like the classic Galil better and have always wanted one.  Something about it looks like they tried to pack 10 new features to modernize an old system, and it just didn't work out (just on looks).
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Never going to happen, IMHO. Too expensive to produce at a price the market will bear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Im being told pricing is still being worked out, however it will be less expensive than the Tavor's current pricing.  Tavors are $1699 to $1650 these days.

Heard of any plans to bring the original Galil to the US?  

Never going to happen, IMHO. Too expensive to produce at a price the market will bear.

How much more can they be to produce than a vz58 clone?

Not being sarcastic, serious question.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How much more can they be to produce than a vz58 clone?

Not being sarcastic, serious question.
View Quote

The CAI vz2008s are cheap because CAI bought the parts kits for a song and contracted the assembly out to the lowest bidder. You'll notice the Czechpoint vz58s are running at $1065 these days, and IMHO, it's more simple gun than the Galil to produce. When you favor in the machining and raw material costs of those heavy Galil receivers and the stock, not to mention restarting a Galil production line, I'd be surprised if it didn't cost more than the ACE. Molding stuff out of plastic has the virtue of being cheap.

So, you're talking about a rifle coming in probably a hundred bucks more than the Galil ACE, that doesn't deal well with modern optics, that doesn't use a mag that's commonly available, that has an obsolete stock, and that weighs probably 1.5-2lbs more... it wouldn't sell terribly well, which would raise the amortized cost even further.

(Incidentally, the above reasoning is why you're never going to see the original Uzi series re-released, either.)
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmm.  Not the hugest fan of the modernized ACE configuration here.  Would have preferred a slightly more classic appearance, maybe the aftermarket will take care of it.  I do think the 7.62x39 was a smart choice.

Cost will be the killer.  At $1400 I'd probably stay home.  I'd look at the rifle for $1100 or so, not going to screw around 922r-ing the pistol.

ETA - To expand on that thought.  For me, I see it as a modernized 7.62x39 carbine.  It's going to complete with the SLR-107FR at $940 and 556R/556xi Russian at $1100/$1200.  What does it do better aside from being a Galil?  You're paying for the name.  I'd rather have the 107FR, already have a 556R Gen 2.

I did buy a Tavor though, so I'm not adverse to expensive rifles.  The Tavor at $1600 is reasonable for it's market segment.  It's all going to come down to the price.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#8]
So IWI isn't introducing the 5.56 version because of competition with the Tavor...

they do realize this is 'Murica right?  we must have both!

I think the 5.56 ACE would hit a different market niche than the Tavor does

But if they introduce the 5.56 ACE we deserve a 7.62x39mm Tavor that uses AK mags, just saying
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Any chance for a factory SBR?  Any of the parts on it US made or is it all imported?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any chance for a factory SBR?  Any of the parts on it US made or is it all imported?
View Quote

Same here. I'd buy an ACE SBR in 7.62x39mm....no matter what it took. I'm with the other poster, not thrilled with that AR-15 looking butt stock. I'd rather see it come equipped with a Galil/FAL folder type stock.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The original rifle is no longer in production. The Ace is it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im being told pricing is still being worked out, however it will be less expensive than the Tavor's current pricing.  Tavors are $1699 to $1650 these days.

Heard of any plans to bring the original Galil to the US?

The original rifle is no longer in production. The Ace is it.  

<removed> this is a tech forum, not GD. dryflash3

Who am I kidding, I'll still buy one.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Same here. I'd buy an ACE SBR in 7.62x39mm....no matter what it took. I'm with the other poster, not thrilled with that AR-15 looking butt stock. I'd rather see it come equipped with a Galil/FAL folder type stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hinge appears to be the standard Galil and one could change out the stock to any of the older Galil, Mako or SA R4 stocks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pistol doesn't need to be 922r compliant, but the rifle does.

I assume they'll need to have a US-made collapsible stock, PG, and muzzle device, considering you can't import a rifle with any of those features (non-sporting). After that, it's the FCG or the mag... let's hope it's the former.

Factory SBR seems like a possibility, but they also never made a 15" Tavor, so who knows?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They didn't want to bring it in so close to the Tavor and compete directly with it by offering the Ace in 5.56. That left them 7.62x39 and .308. The 7.62x39 got the nod.  Ammo is affordable and abundant as are magazines, and we all love the caliber.    

I don't know what the conversion process might look like on the 5.56mm rifle to the NATO configuration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What an odd caliber choice. Why not 5.56 up front?

MAC, since you're posting, do you happen to know if the 5.56 Galil ACE can be readily converted to the ACE NATO?

Galil ACE 5.56:
http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/assault/as111/galil_ace_556.jpg

NATO version which uses AR mags:
http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/galil2.jpg

Just wondering if the mag wells can be swapped out or if each version requires an entirely different rifle.

I would think if they brought a 5.56 to the market they might go the NATO route, although if they import and sell Galil mags for cheap then I don't see a problem with going the traditional route. 35 round standard magazines would also be nice. Would also make Galil mags cheaper for those that own traditional Galils.
They didn't want to bring it in so close to the Tavor and compete directly with it by offering the Ace in 5.56. That left them 7.62x39 and .308. The 7.62x39 got the nod.  Ammo is affordable and abundant as are magazines, and we all love the caliber.    

I don't know what the conversion process might look like on the 5.56mm rifle to the NATO configuration.

Fair enough. I assume once the ball gets rolling they'll bring in a 5.56 version eventually. I'd guess the NATO version. But it would be nice if the brought in the non-NATO, provided they imported cheap Galil mags.

Now my question is, when are they going to bring in the X95? Probably after the market is saturated with regular Tavors.

Also, add me to the list of people interested, but unable to afford, the original style Galil.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Id buy at least one if they are $800 or below.  Something tells me that they will be ridiculously higher than that though so....
View Quote

This is my opinion as well. If I'm gonna start paying $1000 for a rifle I need to move out of AKs and go a different path.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I am quite pleased the ACE will be offered in 7.62x39.  If 5.56 was offered as well at the same time, I would probably still buy the 7.62x39 first.  Unless RatWorx could get me a consecutive set of 5.56 and 7.62x39!  Wouldn't that be awesome!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks good except the handguard is too short. Why is it so short? It should go out to the gas block.

And the stock looks real cheap (typical Mako brand?) so I hope it comes off like a standard AR stock & the stock tube is compatible with aftermarket AR stocks.

If they extend the handguard and its possible to shitcan the Tupperware stock and install a far better one then I'll get one, otherwise my money will go to an Arsenal SLR107FR.

My .02
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone know how well a Galil will suppress? Similar to an AK?
View Quote

Really curious about this as well, seems like it should be a more standardized thread pitch being what is essentially an Israeli rifle. I'd love to throw a 7.62 Saker on the one of these for fun if it'll run reliably.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is hoping for 7.62x51mm. Have a 5.56x45mm Galil......want the big NATO brother even in ACE form.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Heres a video from Indumil that shows some Galil Ace production

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPUKpIV-8kU
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:52:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Really curious about this as well, seems like it should be a more standardized thread pitch being what is essentially an Israeli rifle. I'd love to throw a 7.62 Saker on the one of these for fun if it'll run reliably.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They have a 5/8x24 thread.  I'll show it suppressed on video in a couple weeks.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what MAC was saying over at AK files, it will be like suppressing an AK

EDIT: Looks like MAC posted seconds before me so nm
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I would be interested in seeing photos of the ACE with the front handrail covers off and a complete dis assembly video.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Ill be in for a galil and replace the stock with the older galil stock. Best buy one now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ill be in for a galil and replace the stock with the older galil stock. Best buy one now.
View Quote

I don't understand this. Why replace the stock the rifle was designed with, especially when you're going to put on one that's heavy, provides a terrible cheek weld for optics, and non-adjustable? Has there been some kind of identified problem with the (nice-looking) stock the ACE is coming with?

I own a Galil SAR built off a CNCW receiver. Perfectly fine gun, but that stock isn't the strong point, unless your only criteria for a stock is "can double as a metal baseball bat". My gut feeling is that people who are talking about going this route have never actually used the original Galil stock before.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't understand this. Why replace the stock the rifle was designed with, especially when you're going to put on one that's heavy, provides a terrible cheek weld for optics, and non-adjustable? Has there been some kind of identified problem with the (nice-looking) stock the ACE is coming with?

I own a Galil SAR built off a CNCW receiver. Perfectly fine gun, but that stock isn't the strong point, unless your only criteria for a stock is "can double as a metal baseball bat". My gut feeling is that people who are talking about going this route have never actually used the original Galil stock before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AR-15 style collapsible stocks on anything other than an AR-15 type rifle are an abomination. Nothing says "We're fucking lazy!" quite like a buffer tube on a rifle that does not warrant one, and a compromise stock to match.

Especially on anything that is an AK.

Rifles that do the collapsible/folding stock "right"

Scar
ACR
Sig 556 (the ones that use the Sig stock, not the AR based stock, of course).
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

AR-15 style collapsible stocks on anything other than an AR-15 type rifle are an abomination. Nothing says "We're fucking lazy!" quite like a buffer tube on a rifle that does not warrant one, and a compromise stock to match.

Scar
ACR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scar
ACR

You have a point, promag tried with the AK but it had it's short comings.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've owned three original IMI  galills, including the 762x51 variant. I was also a machine gun team leader in the US Airborne Infantry. I do t give a damn about weight after the shit I've rucked with  and I want a weapon that will be sturdy and can take a pounding, a true Infantry rifle, that will in fact, doubke and a shit stomping device when things get bad. Muzzle thumping and butt-strokes do work....very well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm glad to see IMI iss bringing this line to market.  I personally would not be interested in a 5.56 version, I have ARs that cover that caliber very well.  The 7.62x39 would be what I would go for.  The funiture and the looks don't bother me, it just needs to go bang everytime.  I will be looking at these really hard next year.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm interested, I hope its successful enough so some classic furniture comes to the aftermarket.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm super excited to see this!

Assuming there are no changes to trusts & SBR's by the time the pistol comes to market, I will certainly be buying the pistol version, and will have a hard time not buying the rifle version as well in x39.  I was looking for a SLR107UR to have as an SBR, but would much rather have this Galil.

If the NATO 5.56 shows up I'm going to pick one up as well.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#32]
From what I can see from the IWI vids it looks like the ACE 556 uses the old-type Galil mags.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Yep....Pretty Sweet.. I need a sbr and a rifle.. And a bigger safe if IWI keeps dropping bombs on my wallet.. IWI We thank you my Galil is lonely and this will cheer her up...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#34]
MAC

If we can get a video of these shooting suppressed that would be awesome!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What an odd caliber choice. Why not 5.56 up front?

MAC, since you're posting, do you happen to know if the 5.56 Galil ACE can be readily converted to the ACE NATO?

Galil ACE 5.56:
http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/assault/as111/galil_ace_556.jpg

NATO version which uses AR mags:
http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/galil2.jpg

Just wondering if the mag wells can be swapped out or if each version requires an entirely different rifle.

I would think if they brought a 5.56 to the market they might go the NATO route, although if they import and sell Galil mags for cheap then I don't see a problem with going the traditional route. 35 round standard magazines would also be nice. Would also make Galil mags cheaper for those that own traditional Galils.
View Quote

I'd actually be really stoked if they're bringing the rock-and-lock version in 5.56, since I prefer that to the straight-shot magwell style of magazine retention.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Where can I preorder while I have spare cash.

As awesome as the pistol model would be SBR'd I want the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Im in for one of each if they bring in the 5.56 or .308 versions, the 7.62x39 Galil doesnt do anything for me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
MAC

If we can get a video of these shooting suppressed that would be awesome!
View Quote

He said he would in his video review. He posted it somewhere in one of these Galil threads.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Scar
ACR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scar
ACR

The AR stocks are nice if you prefer the cheekweld of a wider stock. Folders are almost universally thin by design necessity.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice offerings, but I'd prefer a .308 version with an 18" barrel that accepts .308 Pmags.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#41]
The buffer extention is rectangular shaped.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The AR stocks are nice if you prefer the cheekweld of a wider stock. Folders are almost universally thin by design necessity.
View Quote

I use AR collapsibles on everything I can put them on. Cheekweld consistency and adjusting to both me and my wife are far more important to me than folding, I'm not climbing into a tank with it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#43]
MAC just did a write up everyone should read

http://www.thebangswitch.com/the-new-iwi-galil-ace/
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
MAC just did a write up everyone should read

http://www.thebangswitch.com/the-new-iwi-galil-ace/
View Quote

Nice thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're gonna be an AK purist about a gun that's not even a real AK? Ah, ARFCOM, you never fail to be full of surprises. While I admit that buttstroking someone is a bit of a stress reliever, I'll take something that's better at being light-weight and has comfortable stocks any day of the week.

Maybe there's a market opportunity for someone to do a better stock tube for guns that don't need anything in the tube. Make it thicker, add an easier-to-access storage compartment, structural reinforcements, etc.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#46]

I'm not sold on the top cover attachment.

I built a SAR length Galil on a CNC Warrior reciever, and it was as tight as could be. It still wouldn't reliably return to zero. I'd get a few inches POI change at 100yd. That was probably the biggest drawback of that rifle, other than the fact that optic mounting options were incredibly limited... And it was heavy...

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm not sold on the top cover attachment.

I built a SAR length Galil on a CNC Warrior reciever, and it was as tight as could be. It still wouldn't reliably return to zero. I'd get a few inches POI change at 100yd. That was probably the biggest drawback of that rifle, other than the fact that optic mounting options were incredibly limited... And it was heavy...
View Quote

I have the same feeling, if you look at all the pictures of the military/le version of the ACE the red dots are mounted on the GAS BLOCK and the magnifiers are on the dust cover, that should say something

however there is a picture of the ACE 53 (7.62x51mm) with an optic mounted on the back and it has the same full length rail system as these 7.62x39mm US market ACE's do

PIC:
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#48]
That's an interesting picture... because it looks very much like it's a single long rail, not a two piece deal like we've seen with these newly announced pistols. If you look at the ACE 5X PDF, it looks similarly solid in their picture of the 52L. Maybe it's an optical illusion, but I'd be curious if there was a third rail type in the mix here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I think I see where there is a division in the rail
But if all else fails, we just get a much longer version of this:
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
AK mags, left hand charging, folding stock.  

I want it.  
View Quote

Page / 7
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top