Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is how i read what he meant. I'd like to know the answer too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean that the polymer lower is essentially an over-mold with milled steel underneath?

This is how i read what he meant. I'd like to know the answer too

That is precisely what I meant.  How it appears anyway.  Given I only spent a short time with one, but the whole rifle appeared to be very solid, well finished, and generally what one would expect from a rifle in it's price range.  I feel like the guys that are saying they wouldn't pay more than a grand, or they're upset that it's not an old school Galil are missing out on what really may make this rifle a cut above a standard AK.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

By your reasoning, a $500 NPAP does the same thing.  News flash:  It's not the same thing.

Uninterrupted top rail for optics
tri rail handguard standard
night sights
left side charging handle
folding and collapsible stock
enlarged (one may even call it enhanced) magwell
left side thumb safety

Galil ACE: 7
Arsenal SLR: 0 (though i suppose can give it half a point for the folding stock)

I own an Arsenal SLR, I'm telling you, this gun is in a different class.  Trying to bring a standard AK up to par with the ACE would easily bring the Arsenal's cost inline with the stock Galil.  By the time you've added equivalent accessories to the Arsenal, it's also gonna weigh more than eight pounds.  Sorry that some of us like guns other than those saturating the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$1900... i would not pay more than $1100. An slr-107fr weighs less and does the same thing, hell a wasr does the same thing, other than the cool factor these are overated in my opinion.

By your reasoning, a $500 NPAP does the same thing.  News flash:  It's not the same thing.

night sights
left side thumb safety

Arsenal SLR: 0 (though i suppose can give it half a point for the folding stock)

I own an Arsenal SLR, I'm telling you, this gun is in a different class.  Trying to bring a standard AK up to par with the ACE would easily bring the Arsenal's cost inline with the stock Galil.  By the time you've added equivalent accessories to the Arsenal, it's also gonna weigh more than eight pounds.  Sorry that some of us like guns other than those saturating the market.

A Colt 6940 is $1200.

Now what?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:38:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A Colt 6940 is $1200.

Now what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$1900... i would not pay more than $1100. An slr-107fr weighs less and does the same thing, hell a wasr does the same thing, other than the cool factor these are overated in my opinion.

night sights
left side thumb safety

A Colt 6940 is $1200.

Now what?

A Colt 6940 doesn't take AK mags or shoot 7.62x39mm, it also doesn't have a long stroke piston, so the comparison is irrelevant.

Why does everyone feel the need to compare this rifle to rifles in a 5.56 platform? It doesn't make sense, what does an AR, Tavor, or FN SCAR have to do with this rifle in 7.62x39mm that takes AK mags? Save those comparisons for when the 5.56 version comes out.

I can see where comparing it to an AK makes sense, because derrr, that's what portion of the market it fits into, but really it should be compared to something with similar gadgets and gizmos, like a SA M7 SF or SIG 556xi.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:14:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the safeties, makes it easier to manipulate with the thumb and index finger. I dig the top rail. And I like that it's charging handle is on the left side. Improved ergos all in all.

But what I don't like:

integral pistol grip to the lower receiver
left side dust cover
buttstock and adapter
non-folding sights
handguard length
Mag release lever

Now what I don't like about the pistol grip is that it and the lower receiver look to be one whole unit, so changing pistol grip is a no go. While others might not have a problem with it, I would like to have options for a $1800 gun. Don't like that left side plate cover, it could have been done better i.e. sig style, or AK 12 where it's far forward. They could have designed a better stock than just throwing in their version of an ACE AR15 folding stock adapter for the price range that its going for. Also wished it would blend to the end of the receiver like an AK left folding trunnion instead of having a stub at the rear of the receiver like those type of stocks do along with the bulky hinge. Wish the sights would have been folding back up sights, as it is they will probably be obscuring the sight picture through an optic depending which one you go with (don't like a full co-witness or a high 1/3 co-witness with a micro red dot, folding sights give you the option to co-witness or fold them out of the way). Mag release tab could have been extended to the rear as to be able to use your index finger to release the mag. And the handguards could have been a little longer.

For that price I feel like those features could have been addressed. If only the russians would have behaved we could have seen AK 12s in country and thus given us more options.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A Colt 6940 doesn't take AK mags or shoot 7.62x39mm, it also doesn't have a long stroke piston, so the comparison is irrelevant.

Why does everyone feel the need to compare this rifle to rifles in a 5.56 platform? It doesn't make sense, what does an AR, Tavor, or FN SCAR have to do with this rifle in 7.62x39mm that takes AK mags? Save those comparisons for when the 5.56 version comes out.

I can see where comparing it to an AK makes sense, because derrr, that's what portion of the market it fits into, but really it should be compared to something with similar gadgets and gizmos, like a SA M7 SF or SIG 556xi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

night sights
left side thumb safety

A Colt 6940 is $1200.

Now what?

this!
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:11:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Glad to see Galil enter the game again. Kind of an odd looking beast. Hopefully the price will come down to earth a bit.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

night sights
left side thumb safety

A Colt 6940 is $1200.

Now what?

The Galil ARM is indeed a 5.56 platform, what excuse are you going to use when they decide to send us that one, and it gets monkey stomped by Colt of all people on price? You can get the 6940 with a piston system, too.

The problem with the Galil is that its still just an AK, and it doesn't do anything better than a Romanian AK other than cost more, and look cooler. Charging more for the rails is fine, asking a 1k premium over the equivalent trash-can rifle that works no differently on the inside is not. A $1200 out the door price would be "reasonable". Hell, keeping it in line with the cost of an Arsenal, plus a good rail system would be fine, and still under the $1800 that they are asking.

Plus, the Galil ARM at the stated MSRP is already non-competitive to another AK clone on the market, the Sig 556xi.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I really do not like the charging handle setup. FSB is just downright ugly, in my opinion. I'll pass on this one, and instead wait on Atlantic's 9mm Vityaz clones.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Galil ARM is indeed a 5.56 platform, what excuse are you going to use when they decide to send us that one, and it gets monkey stomped by Colt of all people on price? You can get the 6940 with a piston system, too.

The problem with the Galil is that its still just an AK, and it doesn't do anything better than a Romanian AK other than cost more, and look cooler. Charging more for the rails is fine, asking a 1k premium over the equivalent trash-can rifle that works no differently on the inside is not. A $1200 out the door price would be "reasonable". Hell, keeping it in line with the cost of an Arsenal, plus a good rail system would be fine, and still under the $1800 that they are asking.

Plus, the Galil ARM at the stated MSRP is already non-competitive to another AK clone on the market, the Sig 556xi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

night sights
left side thumb safety

A Colt 6940 is $1200.

Now what?

The comparison with a cheaper Colt AR-15 is flawed. The people who want a Galil ACE want the Galil ACE not a cheaer AR-15, they are going to pony up the money because it is what they want. Yes, it would be nice if it was a little less expensive, but, we have been waiting a VERY long time for this.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your second paragraph and last sentence are basically everything I was stating, comparing this model to it's niche market makes sense

I do take issue with you saying I'm going to make excuses for this rifle, I have never held one of these rifles and I have no idea how it will do, if it sucks, it probably will fail justifiably so and it will get crushed, but probably by something that fits in its market niche, like the SIG 556xi, OR even a Piston Colt or Piston AR rifle, but not an overpriced Colt AR DI, I mean if you're going that route you could argue that you could assemble an even better AR for cheaper than $1200 for a name, but I digress

But if I remember the SIG 556 series did carve itself out a section of the 5.56 market, so the Galil ACE in 5.56 could dip into that

just look at the actual market niche for comparisons,

but with how saturated the AR market is, this rifle in 5.56 could add new flavor to the 5.56 market, especially to guys who already own AR's and can just use their AR mags, plus it's Israeli and not a "commie" 5.56 gun, but again, we'll see how it ACTUALLY does once it arrives
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:41:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
But again, we'll see how it ACTUALLY does once it arrives
View Quote

As I said earlier in this thread, assuming the Galil Ace is a great rifle (and from everything I've heard so far from people who have actually put their hands on one, it is), it will sell fine.

With higher-end rifles like this you often run into a few familiar but different viewpoints: Some people want a quality rifle that's different from the normal offerings in that niche, and are willing and able to pay the higher prices those rifles often command.  For those buyers the value proposition is there, and they're happy to see that new rifle come to market.

Others either want the rifle and don't have the scratch, or they just don't think it's worth it.  Rather than simply not buying the rifle if they don't think it's worth it (otherwise known as "the obvious solution"), they instead complain.

If anyone doesn't like the street price, which we should remember hasn't even been announced yet, that's fine.  If the value proposition isn't there for you, then by definition you aren't part of the target market anyway and won't find any relief in complaining about it.  It's really that simple, and it works the same way with expensive cars, shoes and a bunch of other consumer items.            
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:10:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like the Haitian Coastguard, or at least some members, have been issued the Galil ACE in 5.56. From the IPotato pic, couldn't tell if it was FA. Looked like the bolt was locked back on an empty mag.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As I said earlier in this thread, assuming the Galil Ace is a great rifle (and from everything I've heard so far from people who have actually put their hands on one, it is), it will sell fine.

With higher-end rifles like this you often run into a few familiar but different viewpoints: Some people want a quality rifle that's different from the normal offerings in that niche, and are willing and able to pay the higher prices those rifles often command.  For those buyers the value proposition is there, and they're happy to see that new rifle come to market.

Others either want the rifle and don't have the scratch, or they just don't think it's worth it.  Rather than simply not buying the rifle if they don't think it's worth it (otherwise known as "the obvious solution"), they instead complain.

If anyone doesn't like the street price, which we should remember hasn't even been announced yet, that's fine.  If the value proposition isn't there for you, then by definition you aren't part of the target market anyway and won't find any relief in complaining about it.  It's really that simple, and it works the same way with expensive cars, shoes and a bunch of other consumer items.            
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are insinuating that just because people say it's expensive they don't have the "scratch" to afford the rifle and therefore complain. I personally have the money to buy one, hell a few of them if I wanted to and it wouldn't kill my bank but the MSRP for this rifle is insane for a hyped up AK-47 (and most likely $1650 street price). Anything above $1100-1200 for this rifle is utterly insane, now if you want to say people call it expensive because they don't see the "high endness" and awesome features of this rifle or can't afford it go ahead although you are wrong. People rather buy 3 WASRS, 2 SLR107's or 1 TAVOR, AUG, etc.. whatever they please instead of the galil. It's simple. Lets move on. To each their own!
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You are insinuating that just because people say it's expensive they don't have the "scratch" to afford the rifle and therefore complain. I personally have the money to buy one, hell a few of them if I wanted to and it wouldn't kill my bank but the MSRP for this rifle is insane for a hyped up AK-47 (and most likely $1650 street price). Anything above $1100-1200 for this rifle is utterly insane, now if you want to say people call it expensive because they don't see the "high endness" and awesome features of this rifle or can't afford it go ahead although you are wrong. People rather buy 3 WASRS, 2 SLR107's or 1 TAVOR, AUG, etc.. whatever they please instead of the galil. It's simple. Lets move on. To each their own!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You seem to have selectively read my post.

I said, "Others either want the rifle and don't have the scratch, or they just don't think it's worth it."  And as for that first qualifier, I didn't insinuate anything.  Instead, I flat-out said it.  There would be no reason for me to insinuate given that I think AK buyers are, by and large, cheapskates.  Not all of them of course, but certainly many of them.

Regardless, my point remains.  If the price on this rifle won't represent a good value for you, then you aren't part of the target market and thus won't need to worry about the price.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The polymer part of the receiver appears to be nothing more than the pistol grip/magazine well wrapped around the machined part of the receiver.  Was very seamless and solid.  Appears that the FCG and pins all sit in the metal part of the receiver.  This is based solely on fingerbanging the crap out of it over the course of a half hour or so, but I would have no concerns over durability.  The mag well also seemed to aid in the insertion of magazines quite well and magazine lock up was very solid.

The night sights looked to be nothing more than a tritium vial place high in the tip of the front sight post.  Was in a well lit shop, so I can't tell you how well it works, but i did cup my hand over it and it does glow.  The vial was small enough not to be a distraction when looking through the rear aperture and trying to get a good sight picture.

I have zero idea if a drum will fit, but if i had to guess, I doubt it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are your thoughts on the lower polymer receiver? Strong enough?

What about the tritium night sights? How do those work?

Is the well open enough for a drum?

The polymer part of the receiver appears to be nothing more than the pistol grip/magazine well wrapped around the machined part of the receiver.  Was very seamless and solid.  Appears that the FCG and pins all sit in the metal part of the receiver.  This is based solely on fingerbanging the crap out of it over the course of a half hour or so, but I would have no concerns over durability.  The mag well also seemed to aid in the insertion of magazines quite well and magazine lock up was very solid.

The night sights looked to be nothing more than a tritium vial place high in the tip of the front sight post.  Was in a well lit shop, so I can't tell you how well it works, but i did cup my hand over it and it does glow.  The vial was small enough not to be a distraction when looking through the rear aperture and trying to get a good sight picture.

Found this on another site.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

http://s27.postimg.org/7igrwz7df/1193.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice find.

Looks to be just a covering piece of polymer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Well that is interesting!

Not that it is a bad thing because IMO its a great thing, bot how do they justify calling it a "polymer lower" if its just a polymer cover slide over a milled steel lower? Also how would that save much weight?

If this is truly as it appears and is a mostly milled steel rifle, this really could be a cut above anything that we have seen introduced to the market in a very long time in terms of a new design.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:44:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well that is interesting!

Not that it is a bad thing because IMO its a great thing, bot how do they justify calling it a "polymer lower" if its just a polymer cover slide over a milled steel lower? Also how would that save much weight?

If this is truly as it appears and is a mostly milled steel rifle, this really could be a cut above anything that we have seen introduced to the market in a very long time in terms of a new design.
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing.  

No wonder everyone was confused.  This rifle is described as having a "polymer lower", when really it appears to have a milled lower with a polymer cover.  Very cool design.

A few years ago I told myself I was just going to keep my 5.45 AK's since I prefer that caliber.  I've bought three 7.62 AK's since, and this one will be #4.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:44:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nice find.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice find.

It looks like you can trim everything forward of the trigger guard with no ill effect. The grip appears to be held in place with a standard AK style nut, which is fairly solid.

Interesting.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:19:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks like if you cut away the pistol grip and left the trigger guard, you could bolt on an aftermarket pistol grip with some fitting.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:10:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Sooooo... The polymer slide on provides a pistol grip, a trigger guard, and an extended maxwell?

Why bother? Not having that would lessen the weight of the rifle as well

Whoever gets the first of these to test should try this rifle without the polymer slide on and see if aftermarket AK pistol grips work, AND does that extended magwell impede use of a drum and without it can you still use it?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#23]
looks like it could be easily converted back to the micro galil look for those (like me) who do not like the look of the poly lower. This rifle just made a big jump up in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#24]
also I think I spaced this, are the rails on the handguard metal?  is the handguard itself metal?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
looks like it could be easily converted back to the micro galil look for those (like me) who do not like the look of the poly lower. This rifle just made a big jump up in my opinion.
View Quote

I also have a feeling that third party accessories will get very interesting with this rifle, especially if there's the ability to remove the slide on and still operate the weapon without issue
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#26]
If this means i can remove all that railed crap and throw on some classic looking furniture I'd be happy. the top rail I can tolerate its the railed forearm I could do without.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 1:38:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I am wondering if there has been any new info, videos, etc. on the Galil Ace?

My Bulgarian Arsenal AK purchase is on hold until i get to see some torture tests and reviews on the Ace.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Your not going to see any torture tests till probably summer next year if even that. No one is going to want to beat up an 1600-1800 dollar rifle. I'm sure its going to be fine and a durable rifle but I'm just gonna stick with my Saiga for now and see what magpul shows for accessories at shot show.  I like the Galil  alot but there is a different rifle I'm going after next year for my one large purchase( MDR).

The galil is in the premium new age rifle price category and its an old dog, it needs to come down in price to compete with ar's and ak's It should not be trying to compete with its own replacement the tavor and other newer rifles. People are going to either go with an ak or go with a tavor due to its pricing. If IWI can drop it to 1200-1300 It fair much better.  .
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#29]

FYI Ace vs 556XI
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I really like the ACE.  I just wish the hand guard ran all the way out to the gas block.  Kinda looks half finished.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I really like the ACE.  I just wish the hand guard ran all the way out to the gas block.  Kinda looks half finished.
View Quote

Same here, just doesn't look right like that. wtf were they thinking?

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 12:24:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Wow, the SIG is a steaming pile of crap.

The ACE looks good, was hoping it would get better groups.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Feel the same way, about all
There should be a boycott of Sig rifles until they fix their tremendous issues

Was also hoping for more accuracy from the Galil, but I'm more interested in the pistol anyways so the accuracy for that is what it is
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Was also hoping for more accuracy from the Galil, but I'm more interested in the pistol anyways so the accuracy for that is what it is
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I almost bought an xi when they first came out but didn't because a buddy bought one and had this same problem.

Over on the sig forum and YouTube there are a lot of accusations that Tim with Mac is anti sig and is purposefully making their products look bad.

Personally I think that's bs but whatever. I really hope sig fixes their quality issues because I've always loved their pistols and would love nothing more than to own one of their rifles.

Back on topic the accuracy was about what I expected for the ace. Still a little Leary of the pricing tho even if that is mrsp
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I almost bought an xi when they first came out but didn't because a buddy bought one and had this same problem.

Over on the sig forum and YouTube there are a lot of accusations that Tim with Mac is anti sig and is purposefully making their products look bad.

Personally I think that's bs but whatever. I really hope sig fixes their quality issues because I've always loved their pistols and would love nothing more than to own one of their rifles.

Back on topic the accuracy was about what I expected for the ace. Still a little Leary of the pricing tho even if that is mrsp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with Sig is that they don't need anybody to purposefully make their rifles bad, they tend to do that all on their own.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm completely baffled how Sig can screw up the release of the 556R and then do the same exact thing with the XI in 7.62. I could of swore they would have learned their lesson.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I am the biggest fan of the older carbon steel slide German/Swiss made Sig pistols but recent Sig products have all been sub par IMO,esp. their rifles.

There should be a boycott of any company that refuses to sell products on the civilian market that match the same QC standards at their military counterparts. I doubt the Swiss military are having similar issues with their rifles.

When a company sells sub standard, cheaply designed range toys to the civilian market, what it is really saying is that we don't respect your 2nd Amendment rights enough to sale you the real thing. It is a complete lack of respect.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#39]
So what does this ACE Galil offer that an Arsenal or a Vepr wouldn't?   From the M.A.C video, the galil isn't any better in accuracy. I will wait for the CMMG MK47. Got very good reviews on MrGunsandgear.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I posted the 556R had problems, the same people made the same accusations. Low and behold not a year later even the most devout Sig fan admitted the "first generation" 556R's had problems. I use quotes around "first generation" because Sig never acknowledged the problems publicly and moved quietly to revamp the rifle without so much as a new model designation -- as if we wouldn't notice.

Here we are again and the "first gen" Xi's appear to be problematic, or some of them do anyway. In my blog post i point out that I'm not the only person to find themselves with a single shot 556XiR.

If I hated Sig so much I wouldn't spend my money buying their products. I'm not a rich man by any means and the 556Xi was expensive to me. The videos I produce with it won't generate enough revenue to cover the expense of buying it, so it would be a bit moronic on my part to buy the Xi if I didn't really want it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

So what does this ACE Galil offer that an Arsenal or a Vepr wouldn't?   From the M.A.C video, the galil isn't any better inaccuracy. I will wait for the CMMG MK47. Got very good reviews on MrGunsandgear.
View Quote
If all you want is a highly functional rifle at minimal cost, the Arsenal or VEPR would be the way to go. The Galil Ace will appeal to collectors and people with a bit more disposable income that like the more unique things on the market.

With that being said, the Ace is superbly built and suffers from none of the minor blemishes we've come to accept on Saiga's or even Arsenals. It's a finely made tool.

As for the MK47, I've yet to get excited about an AR15 chambered in 7.62x39 even if it does take AK mags.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If all you want is a highly functional rifle at minimal cost, the Arsenal or VEPR would be the way to go. The Galil Ace will appeal to collectors and people with a bit more disposable income that like the more unique things on the market.

With that being said, the Ace is superbly built and suffers from none of the minor blemishes we've come to accept on Saiga's or even Arsenals. It's a finely made tool.

As for the MK47, I've yet to get excited about an AR15 chambered in 7.62x39 even if it does take AK mags.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what does this ACE Galil offer that an Arsenal or a Vepr wouldn't?   From the M.A.C video, the galil isn't any better inaccuracy. I will wait for the CMMG MK47. Got very good reviews on MrGunsandgear.

Good point on perspectives. I am looking for function over form and I am no collector . I love the Veprs for the lack of flaws they are shipped with. They are functionally perfect ( no canted sights and everything fits tight)  out of the box but I like to add a bullet guide and use AK mags and are the most accurate  7.62x39 spitter I have ever used. I do like the Galil for what it is... I would love one, I can afford one but it would twist my gut not to get more performance for double the price.

I hear you about the MK47. I would be willing to chance the set up though if it will give under 2 MOA consistently with  say... wolf 123 hp.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#43]
The issues if any with the MK47 aren't going to be with its accuracy.  

It will be the unforseen consequences of marrying direct impingement with the dirtiest commercial ammunition on the market.  

If the gun can tolerate that, and prove that it's got longevity of reliability by running a thousand rounds of ordinary lacquer coated steel case continuously like nearly any Kalashnikov could, it could be extremely successful.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I believe there is a market for a well made 7.62x39 AR, some people want AR's in most every caliber it seems. It's the one time I would actually prefer a gas piston over DI though. While the Yugo corrosive ammo isn't widely available anymore, it stands to reason that corrosive surplus ammo will once again find it's way to the US market. I really don't want corrosive salts in a DI rifle. Heck, I got a case of Wolf a year ago that was mildly corrosive and rusted a couple of guns. It was a fluke, but the Russians apparently still use corrosive primers from time to time.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I believe there is a market for a well made 7.62x39 AR, some people want AR's in most every caliber it seems. It's the one time I would actually prefer a gas piston over DI though. While the Yugo corrosive ammo isn't widely available anymore, it stands to reason that corrosive surplus ammo will once again find it's way to the US market. I really don't want corrosive salts in a DI rifle. Heck, I got a case of Wolf a year ago that was mildly corrosive and rusted a couple of guns. It was a fluke, but the Russians apparently still use corrosive primers from time to time.
View Quote

Russians have never really been that big on quality control.

I've found HP rounds in a box that contained soft points, and I've heard of at least one lucky guy finding a no-shit 9mm AP round in a box of Wolf 9mm FMJ.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Sorry to be that guy but I realy wish we would see a classic galil again at some point
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sorry to be that guy but I realy wish we would see a classic galil again at some point
View Quote

If and when I buy a Galil ACE, I want one with the old stock, not some collapsing piece of bullshit that belongs on an AR. I am thoroughly convinced that if the AR-15 was not direct impingement, or worked in a way that does not have the bolt carrier travel into a buffer tube, then collapsible stocks wouldn't even exist.

Shit, the only reason why my AR has a collapsible stock to begin with is because I can't put a folding stock on it. I even use it like it was originally intended, fully collapsed for storage, and fully extended for use.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I am thoroughly convinced that if the AR-15 was not direct impingement, or worked in a way that does not have the bolt carrier travel into a buffer tube, then collapsible stocks wouldn't even exist.
View Quote

The more I think about this statement, the more I think you're right, I cannot think of a rifle before the M4 or early CAR-15's that used a collapsible stock

Hopefully IWI will offer the updated Galil metal stock that the Vietnamese Army is using
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
IWI is no longer producing the original... it would be neat.

Page / 7
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top