Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 4:22:18 PM EDT

Recently replaced the shepherd wire in my WASR with a Tapco retaining plate.  Now I want to do the same for my SLR and SGL.  But opening them up I notice the difference in where the shepherd  hook is place, hard to get to.  I also worry that the tapco retaining plate will not  fit.  

Have anyone here replace they shepherd hook in their SGL/SLR with a tapco retaining plate? If so did it fit and work?

Is it really necessary for me to replace the shepherd hook/wire?

Thank.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no experience with the Tapco retainer plate but if it fit a WASR it should fit any standard AKM. It is NOTnecessary to replace the shepherd hook they are just a pain in the ass to install. I've used this retaining plate in my SGL and M92, works fine in both.

Edit I just realized I forgot the NOT, oops.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Thank.
View Quote
Absolutely not. The original wire will still be working fine long after we are all dead. The only advantage of the plate is for people who do not know how to remove & replace the original wire when they install 922 FCG parts. GARY
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I leave the wire in unless I'm taking the rifle apart, then I put in a plate.  I don't just put in a plate, just to put in a plate.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#4]
It isn't necessary to replace the wire at all. The only reason I can see doing it is if you plan to take the FCG out of the rifle regularly.

Even then I think the pain in the ass factor of the wire is grossly exaggerated. Take a few minutes to learn to do it the right way and it's easy.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I reinstalled a wire retainer once. Now I put plates in all my AKs. It is a better, more simple design.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:47:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I just can't seem to embrace the "plate"
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:49:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I've used a Chinese style wire retainer on several rifles.  Easier to install than a Shepherd's hook but works just the same.  I've used Red Star Arms and Krebs retainer plates and one Tapco.  They all work. In a Bulgarian SLR with a side scope mount the retainer plate I used had to be modified to fit around a rivet inside the receiver but that was an early retainer plate.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Even then I think the pain in the ass factor of the wire is grossly exaggerated. Take a few minutes to learn to do it the right way and it's easy.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I also stick with the wire; reinstalling it isn't so hard once you get the hang of it.  I like that if I take out my safety when cleaning or working on the rifle I don't have to worry about the trigger pins accidentally being pushed out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Recently replaced the shepherd wire in my WASR with a Tapco retaining plate.  Now I want to do the same for my SLR and SGL.  But opening them up I notice the difference in where the shepherd  hook is place, hard to get to.  I also worry that the tapco retaining plate will not  fit.  

Have anyone here replace they shepherd hook in their SGL/SLR with a tapco retaining plate? If so did it fit and work?

Thank.
View Quote

Necessary? No, but it also depends on the type of hook. The hook that came on my WASR, and NPAP the one that looks like a check mark, is actually just as good as any retainer plate (in my experience, had 3 rifles with it and worked). Now the one that Arsenal uses is freakin retarded, it's hard to pop out to remove the trigger/hammer and I always end up scratching the side wall of the receiver cause of it, so I always replace it with a red star plate, it's like $6 at apex.

Also, the tapco plate should work without any mods.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#12]
My current “go to battle AKMs” is my SLR-107 and my SGL-21.  Wanting to make my AKMs even more reliable is why I’m trying to install retaining plate.  I have heard reports of shepherd hook breaking and etc.  It does look flimsy to me.

Quoted:
I have no experience with the Tapco retainer plate but if it fit a WASR it should fit any standard AKM. It is NOTnecessary to replace the shepherd hook they are just a pain in the ass to install. I've used this retaining plate in my SGL and M92, works fine in both.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I've used a Chinese style wire retainer on several rifles.  Easier to install than a Shepherd's hook but works just the same.  I've used Red Star Arms and Krebs retainer plates and one Tapco.  They all work. In a Bulgarian SLR with a side scope mount the retainer plate I used had to be modified to fit around a rivet inside the receiver but that was an early retainer plate.

The SGL-21 is a fixed stock so I assumed the APEX plate will fit.

But the SLR-107F is a side folding stock, will that cause the retaining plate not to fit without modification?
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I will only use the TAPCO plate in a Tantal, where it's the only one that fits.  It's lack of heat treat and inferior dimensional accuracy makes it suboptimal.  The Power (red Star)  is the best bang for the buck, and I include one free with all my builds.  The Krebs has a nice dogleg feature, but while theoretically "better" I don't think it is enough better to justify the cost.  At least not for me, as I buy the Power, 50 at a time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Try using some hitch pins from home depot or lowes.

I think I used 3/16" - take a pin with you to check for sure.

They are like .59 per 2 pack last I knew.

I've used them on my AK's for years, work great.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top