Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2014 10:44:25 AM EDT
Video - warning, James Yeager

Some highlights of the new guns:

Black nitrided barrel as opposed to chrome lining
Standard AK front/rear sights
Standard AKM furniture
100% American Made

What do you guys think of these? I honestly think $650 for a stamped AK that isn't Russian or Bulgarian is too pricey. AK's can be worth the money, but I'm not sold on these, even with the improvements over the originals.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm really excited to see how these do. They addressed what I thought were problems with the C39  and now are making a stamped gun for $650.....I'd say thats not to bad especially

considering its all US made. I agree its awesome to have a Russian or Bulgarian made AK, I love my SGL, but this offers the US market a good alternative not subject to the ridiculous

importation laws or sanctions like we are currently experiencing with Concern Kalashnikov.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I think both models look great but I'm curious they didn't mention anything about a scope rail mount on the milled c39. That was one improvement I wanted to see.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:07:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, they made all the changes I recommended to them on the C39 so I guess I dig it.   I say "I guess" because I haven't actually played with one yet....
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think both models look great but I'm curious they didn't mention anything about a scope rail mount on the milled c39. That was one improvement I wanted to see.
View Quote

They didn't mention it probably because they didn't add one. That's a big knock for me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice. Looks like they are moving in the right direction. I would still like to see them use gas blocks and front sight bases that can hold a cleaning rod.

Hard to tell in the video, but it looks like they made the milled receiver lightening cuts look more like they foreign built guns look, which is a plus.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly I'm just not sure how I feel paying $650 for a stamped receiver from Century Arms. I'd have to play with one for a day before I was sold on it. Although I wouldn't mind having an American made AK for the simple fact that I wouldn't have to worry about 922(r) compliance.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I just came.......over a Century rifle. If Century doesn't fuck-up the builds then this is a very compelling rifle. All nitrided steel (minus BCG and FCG) will make it a perfect all-weather, all-conditions gun, and being American made means that you'll have  long-term availability of replacement parts. I don't know anything about the RAS FCG, so I'll reserve judgement on that. I'm pretty excited about this, I just hope "street price" is under $600.

As far as the side rail - they didn't talk about the RAS47 having one either, but you can clearly see it, so I'm hoping that not mentioning it was just an oversight.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hard to tell in the video, but it looks like they made the milled receiver lightening cuts look more like they foreign built guns look, which is a plus.
View Quote

To me the lightening cuts still look wrong compared to the foreign milled guns I own. But I've sold quite a few C39's to customers who've never seen an imported milled gun, so they don't know what they're supposed to look like.  And the new Hungarian milled AK Century sells has a different lightening cut from the C-39. GARY
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Never thought I'd say this about a Century gun, but...WANT.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#10]
They look really nice! If i was in the market and i wasnt a ak freak just from a functionality standpoint i would definitely get one, they look beautiful.
From here on out i dont think i can even look at century the same, the pap's are incredible and this is really looking to be just an incredible ak! It is what every ak should be and as far as quality this is probably way nicer than anything else on the market.. but i have to follow the collector/historian side of ak's for now. They need to build an american 74 next and drop that booty m74 abortion.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I like it, they did a nice job with that one.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks very cool. Might look into getting one for my first AK.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Hopefully they are as nice as they look in the video.  I wouldn't mind picking up the RAS47
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, they made all the changes I recommended to them on the C39 so I guess I dig it.   I say "I guess" because I haven't actually played with one yet....
View Quote

Hopefully I'll get to see a video from you on the Ras-47 when it comes out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm hoping so as well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds promising. I wonder how far below retail the prices will get.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn...damn!
Century making good guns, it's a new freaking era.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#18]
They sound very promising.

I'm a little wary of what he said about the proprietary FCG and safety though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:59:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They sound very promising.

I'm a little wary of what he said about the proprietary FCG and safety though.
View Quote

as long as the holes are in the same place/shape, I dont see it being a problem.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What do you guys think of these? I honestly think $650 for a stamped AK that isn't Russian or Bulgarian is too pricey. AK's can be worth the money, but I'm not sold on these, even with the improvements over the originals.

View Quote

Wait what? Where are Russian and Bulgarian AKs $650? I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the dollar isn't worth shit anymore, and we won't be seeing what you might consider lesser AKs and country parts kit rifles for $400 anymore.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wait what? Where are Russian and Bulgarian AKs $650? I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the dollar isn't worth shit anymore, and we won't be seeing what you might consider lesser AKs and country parts kit rifles for $400 anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he means that stamped-receiver AKs should be inexpensive, e.g. Romanians or Yugos @ $500-$550, and that he wouldn't pay more than that unless it's Russian or Bulgarian.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#23]
The original C39 at its price point was impressive. I'm honestly looking forward to seeing the shelf prices on these.

We have to keep in mind the current price of a WASR. They aren't $300 any more.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think he means that stamped-receiver AKs should be inexpensive, e.g. Romanians or Yugos @ $500-$550, and that he wouldn't pay more than that unless it's Russian or Bulgarian.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, shoulda been more clear.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#25]
The RAS47 does have the side scope mount, and the C39v2 is thicker on the left side so that you can install a side mount. Maybe in the future the c39 will come with a side mount. I think it is worth it, at least for the RAS47. You get all wolf springs nitride coated barrel lining etc. Try getting regular yugo or a WASR for under $650 with everything these guns come with from the factory. Good luck finding a Bulgarian or Russian AK with these features for under 1500 because the only people doing that to them are custom shops, i.e rifle dynamics etc.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I want one, but I'm hoping the price comes down a bit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Time to BUY US!  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Time to BUY US!  
View Quote

I would probably wait for a AK100 Series side folder type.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#29]
About the only thing I see on the C39v2 that I don't like is that funky looking pistol grip.  What's wrong with an old fashioned AK style pistol grip.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Century making quality out the box AKs.
Dallas Cowboys winning.
It's definitely the "End of Days"
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I think I'm going to have to get a C39v2 when they come out! It seems like the best in the price range, assuming its $500-$700 like the v1. I like the US made, nitride, and standard parts. I would change the grip for sure and maybe the comp.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Somebody needs to make a psuedo ff setup on a american ak like the scar, if they can reengineer the fsb it could be done im sure of it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#33]
It might be a small issue, but why can't they make the front sight and gas block look correct?  If they are going to make an AK that comes so close to looking correct, why fall short with the small details.  They would sell more to the collector/purist market as well as others by just having the exterior look correct.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The RAS47 does have the side scope mount, and the C39v2 is thicker on the left side so that you can install a side mount. Maybe in the future the c39 will come with a side mount. I think it is worth it, at least for the RAS47. You get all wolf springs nitride coated barrel lining etc. Try getting regular yugo or a WASR for under $650 with everything these guns come with from the factory. Good luck finding a Bulgarian or Russian AK with these features for under 1500 because the only people doing that to them are custom shops, i.e rifle dynamics etc.
View Quote

What can this $650 Century stamped gun do an NPAP can't for $480?

I might buy the new milled gun at $600-$650 but not more. At $650 I can buy a superior platform in either 5.56, 6.8spc, 300AAC.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#35]
It's going to interesting. I'm curious though. Have either of these two rifles been thru a 5 to7 thousand round torture test?  By someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight. Who going to step up and buy the version 1?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I might buy the new milled gun at $600-$650 but not more. At $650 I can buy a superior platform in either 5.56, 6.8spc, 300AAC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What superior platform is that?  And how about some links to these budget friendly 6.8spc or 300AAC ARs lol

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What superior platform is that?  And how about some links to these budget friendly 6.8spc or 300AAC ARs lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At $650 you can buy a nice PSA in 5.56, and a PSA complete lower for $179 plus $499 for 300 or 6.8 are available. Including a full factory rifle from DB as of recent.

Here is a 300 upper for $399 plus add a lower for less than $579 total. And 6.8SPC complete uppers for less than $500

And, yes, I consider an AR I can buy for $600 superior to a US made $650 stamped heavier AK. I certainly do.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

An important thing the Century gun can do is to still be found on dealers’ shelves if an expanded import ban is ever implemented.  And I suspect that has a lot to do with Century developing these rifles. Century’s current business model is heavily geared towards importing relatively inexpensive firearms.  If those imports ever greatly diminish or flat-out go away, so does much of Century’s business.  This may be an attempt by Century to get ahead of the curve and diversify its product sourcing.  In other words, sound risk management.  

As for the price and any performance difference between a NPAP, I’m not sure it’s all that relevant in the sub-$600* AK market.  Your question is sort of like asking, “What can a $24K Honda Civic do that an $18K Mazda3 can’t”?  The answer is probably “Not much”.  

But the question misses the point that people buy different comparable goods for all kinds of reasons.  Maybe someone is willing to pay more for the Century gun to support American manufacturing.  Maybe they’d buy it to avoid having to deal with 922(r).  Maybe they’d buy it because it can use standard AK parts like handguards.  Maybe they’d buy it because it has a nitrided barrel instead of the NPAP’s non-nitrided, non-chromed barrel.

If this Century AK proves to be any good I’m sure they’ll sell truckloads of ‘em.

* $650 is MSRP for the RAS47.  Realistic retail price will probably be around $599, or perhaps even less.    
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The npap doesn't have a chrome barrel, or take standard furniture.

If its as nice as it looks, around $600 for a stamped US made AK with those specs is a steal.

And why bring the AR is better argument into it? If you haven't noticed, this is the AK forum, so those comments just stir shit

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:56:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If its as nice as it looks, around $600 for a stamped US made AK with those specs is a steal.

And why bring the AR is better argument into it? If you haven't noticed, this is the AK forum, so those comments just stir shit

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you haven't noticed this is AR15.com and I can compare it to an R300 if I want to.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:34:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

At $650 you can buy a nice PSA in 5.56, and a PSA complete lower for $179 plus $499 for 300 or 6.8 are available. Including a full factory rifle from DB as of recent.

Here is a 300 upper for $399 plus add a lower for less than $579 total. And 6.8SPC complete uppers for less than $500

And, yes, I consider an AR I can buy for $600 superior to a US made $650 stamped heavier AK. I certainly do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the flicker page, you got some beauties in there!

However, Im gonna have to disagree about the AR vs AK in the same price range.  I might admit that a Daniel Defense or even a Colt is better just due to quality (even if I still dont trust the AR platform), but Ive been seeing a lot of bad reports of QC issues from PSA lately.  Century used to make pure trash AKs there is no argument, but everything Ive seen online in the last 12 months indicates they corrected the problems and their current C39s are actually reliable.  My real gripe about the Century guns is they aren't as rugged and tough looking as AKs but that is purely aesthetic and would never be a factor in buying a gun.  They are now the Hi-Points of the AK family
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm ridiculously devoted to my Yugos but there are benefits to an RAS-47. All-American means ready access to newly-manufactured replacement parts; no more crossing your fingers and hoping that Apex has the NOS or surplus part that you need. I'm not overly concerned about having a standard pattern AKM but that is certainly a plus. Nitrided parts is a BIG deal to me....I don't know how I managed life before melonite. I can only hope century does a good job of putting these together.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

if you haven't noticed this is AR15.com and I can compare it to an R300 if I want to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Type in ak47.net and see where that takes you.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

However, Im gonna have to disagree about the AR vs AK in the same price range.  I might admit that a Daniel Defense or even a Colt is better just due to quality (even if I still dont trust the AR platform), but Ive been seeing a lot of bad reports of QC issues from PSA lately.  Century used to make pure trash AKs there is no argument, but everything Ive seen online in the last 12 months indicates they corrected the problems and their current C39s are actually reliable.  My real gripe about the Century guns is they aren't as rugged and tough looking as AKs but that is purely aesthetic and would never be a factor in buying a gun.  They are now the Hi-Points of the AK family
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the compliment.  

If you have noticed I am an AK fan. So, it's not an AR vs AK issue.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
All-American means ready access to newly-manufactured replacement parts; no more crossing your fingers and hoping that Apex has the NOS or surplus part that you need.
View Quote

It does? You know for a fact that in a week, or a year or 20 years Century will still be making replacement parts for these? How?

Being "American Made" is no guarantee that there will be "newly manufactured parts" or even ready access to any replacement parts. It is all about the vendor and their supply chain management history and going forward. So far, there is exactly zero history of Century supporting these newly announced products let alone providing replacement parts 20 years from now. Rather, you are making up a scenario you hope to be true about a company that has not supported a product end to end like this in mass in the past. That is one heck of a leap and certainly not a guarantee.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:35:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It might be a small issue, but why can't they make the front sight and gas block look correct?  If they are going to make an AK that comes so close to looking correct, why fall short with the small details.  They would sell more to the collector/purist market as well as others by just having the exterior look correct.
View Quote

If Century made the perfect AK, with proper looking gas block and FSB that would be outstanding. But They do have a multi year tradition of screwing something up to uphold.  As it stands I need one of each of these -- AKholism's a bitch
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It does? You know for a fact that in a week, or a year or 20 years Century will still be making replacement parts for these? How?

Being "American Made" is no guarantee that there will be "newly manufactured parts" or even ready access to any replacement parts. It is all about the vendor and their supply chain management history and going forward. So far, there is exactly zero history of Century supporting these newly announced products let alone providing replacement parts 20 years from now. Rather, you are making up a scenario you hope to be true about a company that has not supported a product end to end like this in mass in the past. That is one heck of a leap and certainly not a guarantee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All-American means ready access to newly-manufactured replacement parts; no more crossing your fingers and hoping that Apex has the NOS or surplus part that you need.

Well, before the C39, Century hadn't really built any rifles with new parts from the ground up, so this is sort of the beginning of a new era. You're right in that I'm stating what I hope to be true, and that there is no precedent on which to rely. But unless Century goes tits up, or completely divests itself of its AK manufacturing business, there's really no reason to think that they won't keep manufacturing replacement parts. The 1st-gen C39 is a bit of an oddball in that it uses nonstandard parts, so they may indeed abandon those, but the RAS47 is a standard pattern rifle - they're not likely to abandon standard parts and go back to proprietary parts. So, as I said, unless they get out of the AK business I can't see the supply of Century-made bolts, or sight blocks, or trunnions, etc., drying up.

Wishful thinking? I'll concede that. But this certainly has the potential to be a good thing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted: So, as I said, unless they get out of the AK business I can't see the supply of Century-made bolts, or sight blocks, or trunnions, etc., drying up.

Wishful thinking? I'll concede that. But this certainly has the potential to be a good thing.
View Quote

Why not? If they are truly using "standard" parts why would they make any more than necessary to service the (short) warranty period? AK's don't typically chew parts so in order to have the scale necessary to make producing the parts cost effective they are going to have to warehouse large amounts of parts for a long time and even once they get to cost effective they still have higher labor and warehousing costs than state or former state arsenal producers do for parts or the cost of surplus parts in the near term.  The near term costs coupled with the statistically low parts turnover for the firearm almost guarantee the opposite; rather than have large parts stocks Century would more likely be lean on parts and they would not turn them over sufficiently fast in order for them continue production into the future.  Indeed, proprietary parts that lock the user in to buying only Century would be a somewhat better business plan if they can float a critical mass volume.  Sure they could start producing huge amounts of replacement parts, flood the market, and drive out surplus/foreign parts allowing them to later raise prices and recoup the losses but that process would be massively expensive initially and if sold below cost be against the law. If anything, the flow of Century parts would likely be low and if for some reason the foreign parts supply died, then RedStar, Arsenal, Tapco, etc would not just let Century have the market....and if Century never made a standard part RedStar, Arsenal, Tapco, etc would be happy to if the foreign supply died.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nice. Looks like they are moving in the right direction. I would still like to see them use gas blocks and front sight bases that can hold a cleaning rod.

View Quote

this !! they need to add a cleaning rod under the barrel .... other then that they look good ...
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:05:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

this !! they need to add a cleaning rod under the barrel .... other then that they look good ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That alone is enough to keep me from buying one... If they fix that and they hit the shelves for under $600 I will be looking at them closely.

ETA: Since apparently they listen to the customers now, maybe we should fill their inbox about the cleaning rod.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top