Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/6/2014 1:01:41 PM EDT
Arsenal and Kvar still have the 106s. I emailed Kvar and they have them in stock. I have a few questions. I know these issues have been discussed before, but I am new to the forum and I do not know the answers.

Okay, I have read that the early 106s have had problems with a host of issues with feeding and ejecting. Have those problems been addressed and fixed with current offerings? Did Arsenal Kvar put a feed ramp in the barrels and a bullet guide? And other issues that I have not mentioned. Do current models run well? Or are these guns they have are the left overs from problem rifles?

Does anyone have a rifle they purchased in the past couple of months? What is it like as far as fit, finish, and operation?

I am debating on buying a 106 or should I get a 104fr in 5.45? I do not have a single round of 5.45. No experience with that caliber at all. Been an AR guy, but I have found I like te AK platform a lot better Any opinions from you Arsenal owners would be helpful. I do not want to drop a grand on a lemon.

The ban on 545 7n6 put a damper on the 104s. Don't get me wrong I like the AK74
in 545,but finding ammo in the future is questionable and no US maker for 545 either.

coltfan
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything after serial prefix 'AB' should be fine. The only issue with the 106 is lack of affordable mags, the circle 10 mags are 40 each !

I would go with the 107fr if I were you. Then you can get ammo at the local walmart
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one a couple of years ago. It runs flawless with any 223/5.56 ammo. By flawless I mean I've run the crappiest, rusty steel case through it bang, bang, bang without a hitch. I don't know how long ago 106's had problems. But I think that is ancient history at this point. I use the ((10)) and Black Beryl magazines. Yes ((10))'s are expensive and surplus Black Beryl's hard to find now. Yes it has a bullet guide. No there is no ramp cut in the bore. The finish is ..................................well it's what you would expect in Bulgaria on an American rifle - don't wipe it down with rubbing alcohol or spray it with brake cleaner. I think the user manual recommends CLP. I use Hoppe's 9. All in all this is my favorite rifle. It groups as tight as my Sig 516 - or almost as tight. I have both a triangle and 100 series stock for it and like both so much that I'd like a second 106 so I don't have to swap back and forth.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Over the past year or two some brand new rifles have older prefixes.   Generally the modification is a lip at the back of the chamber to help with feeding.  The newer (past 6 or 7 years) have this modification made at the factory or by arsenal in LV.  It’s done.

My favorite rifle is a 106 F that I picked up new a few years ago.  My round count is about 9,500 and I’ve used all types of nato as well as crap Russian ammo.  I’ve had two rounds fail to extract.  For mags, bite the bullet and but a few of the circle 10 waffles.  Sure, they’re expensive but they’ll last forever.    
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
The 106 is good to go.  I got a good deal on one last year along with some mags.  

Magpul has stated that they have magazines in the pipeline for other AK variants so there is a chance we might see some for the 5.56 platform at Shot Show.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Great guns. Love my 106CR. One of my all-time favorite carbines. The only one I like better is my G36k clone. My CR has been completely flawless, not a single FTE or FTF, no matter what I feed it. Accuracy is pretty much on par with my M4 clones.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The 106 is good to go.  I got a good deal on one last year along with some mags.  

Magpul has stated that they have magazines in the pipeline for other AK variants so there is a chance we might see some for the 5.56 platform at Shot Show.
View Quote
that would be awesome.

I have a bunch of the 5.56 (10) 30rd mags but I would like to put them away(most are new) and use Magpul mags and save the (10)mags for the future..

SLR106FR

SLR106CR

SA-M5

I need a UR

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top