Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2014 10:32:15 PM EDT
So I am looking into the ak platform and I want to know the different kinds of aks. I know the AR platform fairly well, so I was wondering what the different brands of AKs were like in comparison with an AR. For example, Colt AR 15= which AK.  Rock river= ? Noveske=? Daniel Defence etc...
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Arsenal
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#3]
You will get some varied opinions, but yes Arsenal is at the top, but so are the Chinese guns, Polytech and Norinco.  The Yugo's (Serbs) make great AK's as do the Bulgarians and Poles.  You will find that the Romanian guns are not thought of as highly, but all mine run like a striped ass ape.  Its about the cosmetics at that point.  

If a Kalashnikov is built straight, they will just plain work, all of them.

My vote though for cream of the crop is Polytech.  If you got the jack, buy a Legend or any preban.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:18:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a mak 90 and while the finish is worn in places and it has a few nicks and scratches it is a very high quality ak. I have also owned an arsenal 106 in 5.56x45 and it was a great rifle.

I would rate polytech the best but with arsenal a close second.
I have an arsenal sam7uf coming very soon and im thrilled to have a milled under folder
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#5]
IMO its about budget and need.

If you want a super accurate ak then you're going to spend well north of 1k on the rifle plus then more on optics.   Then you'll need good ammo.  If u want an aK due to cheaper to shoot ammo and bigger bullet, then get a $500-600 century npap m70 or c39.  My m70 goes bang and is reasonably accurate, which I think is about what you can expect in an ak.  Use cheap surplus/steel Russian ammo.

If you want small groups at 100 yards you're better off with another platform or a sniper version like a draganov.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#6]

I don't think the comparison is quite as linear as you'd like it to be.  

In the AR world, you can pretty much add up the extra options as you pay more.  While the add-ons are of limited utility, practically speaking, it is part of the BRD.  And so an awesome AR is mostly just a function of what you paid.

In the AK world, they all work about the same.  Some of the excitement comes from which models are available (remember, they're all imports) at a certain time.  For a guy still caught in the AR mindset, I think you'll be happiest with the Arsenal SLR series right now.  Very slick, new production, chrome lined, and with a folding stock.  If you stick with AKs, you may geek out over some of the history and politics of the platform, too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If a Kalashnikov is built straight, they will just plain work, all of them.

View Quote

This is all you need to know. More money gets you more collectible or rare stuff on this side of the fence, but a properly built AK works just like any other.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:50:12 PM EDT
[#8]
IMHO, AR's are much more varied, "component" wise. The AR has WAY more individual parts than an AK has. So as such, the quality of the AR is only as good as it's weakest link (You'd want, at least, "decent" parts for EVERY AR part to avoid problems). Due to the greater number of parts, and prices for each, price has an inevitable role in it's reliability.
The AK, however, has MUCH fewer parts, and most of those parts remain combloc built. Combloc countries tend to overbuild their parts, so they're pretty much all extremely durable and reliable is properly built. With the AK, you seem to pay more, primarily, for "feel" (smoother, better machined, etc), where as an AR's price reflects more serious differences.
My Russians ran great and were smooth as butter. My Romanians ran great and were... well... not so smooth haha. But they BOTH worked flawlessly and do their job. Is the better machining and smoother "feel" worth the extra? Only you can decide that, but either way you'd have a seriously reliable and heavy duty rifle in your hands.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys. I didn't realize the comparison wasn't linear. All I want from an ak is a reliable gun that isn't super fancy or rare.  As this would be my first ak,  an npap or wasr is calling my name.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. I didn't realize the comparison wasn't linear. All I want from an ak is a reliable gun that isn't super fancy or rare.  As this would be my first ak,  an npap or wasr is calling my name.
View Quote

Get a WASR and don't look back.  WASRs have a tendency, on the Internet anyway, to have canted front and rear sights.  If that bugs you you can call Atlantic Firearms and they will do a quality check for straightness before shipping it out to you.  I bought mine at a local LGS with the knowlage of what to look for when buying one.  What drew me to the WASR was the chromed lined barrel.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like you figured it out. When it comes to ARs, I steer clear of the lowest priced rifles on the shelf. When it comes to AKs, I go straight to the lowest priced rifles on the shelf. When you ask somebody why they want to buy their first AK, the answer invariably is the rifle's reputation for reliability and ruggedness. That reputation was earned on the backs of loosely built, stamped receiver rifles; not finely machined, milled receiver rifles.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:42:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Get a WASR and don't look back.  WASRs have a tendency, on the Internet anyway, to have canted front and rear sights.  If that bugs you you can call Atlantic Firearms and they will do a quality check for straightness before shipping it out to you.  I bought mine at a local LGS with the knowlage of what to look for when buying one.  What drew me to the WASR was the chromed lined barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^^^ This!  And the reply above!

Im new to AK's as well. Have always dismissed them as cheap rattletrap bullet hoses. But after getting my feet wet with a WASR im kicking myself for being so closed minded and waiting so long!!  It's been a good rifle so far and im very happy with it.

Be advised, you'll likely end up with more than one. My one and only AR is going up to fund another AK.
Get one. Get intimate with it. Then shoot the bloody hell out of it!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have about $40 above the cost of the WASR you may want to consider moving up to the yugo... I hate to contradict another member above.....but for just a few $$ more you can have a much better made Yugo npap.

However there is nothing wrong with the WASR if you don't have the extra $$. I own several and have never had one that required too much tweaking to get running right. Killed lots of hogs with the ones I have..!

You have two right turns to make! Have fun with whatever you select!! You nearly cannot go wrong!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Find somewhere local where you can shoot both, or at least handle them. Due to the difference in weight and the distribution of that weight, the two handle very differently to some people.
Pick the one which suits YOU best.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Once you get an AK you'll notice they spread as rapidly as Ebola throughout your house

Start with the WASR, let that be your beater to get used to AK's with, try different furniture, folding stocks, camo it, refinish the wood, etc. This will help you figure out if you're a "purist" or not
WASR's are beaters and are fun for that reason, NPAP's are nice and I would keep it in original configuration, it's a good 2nd AK

your 3rd should be either a Bulgarian or AK pistol

If you can your 4th could be a Saiga-12 or Vepr-12

After that your glide path is up to you
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:47:38 PM EDT
[#16]
unless its rifle dynmics, get a chicom/russian/commie built AK. all US made ones blow
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
unless its rifle dynmics, get a chicom/russian/commie built AK. all US made ones blow
View Quote

Obviously the voice of extensive experience and reason.

All my AKs are "US made", right in my basement and/or guest bedroom. They're all stellar. Perhaps your opinion shouldn't be espoused as fact.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All my AKs are "US made", right in my basement and/or guest bedroom.
View Quote

The American Khyber Pass
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any first time AK buyers should just go ahead and ignore this post.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The American Khyber Pass
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All my AKs are "US made", right in my basement and/or guest bedroom.

The American Khyber Pass

Yup. Got one of those.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#21]
In my area for some reason the wasr is 650 bones whereas the yugo npap is 550. Im guessing the wasr comes with a bayonet and sling or something, because ive only heard of a wasr being cheaper than an npap. It all comes down to which one I like better. I'm gonna get out there and handle both and see which one strikes my fancy more. You guys have been a great help with your ak expertise.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top