Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/9/2014 10:14:21 PM EDT
Just saw this video that Brownell's posted on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aM4-t_qSaI

Looks like a Jim Fuller custom build.  I like the way the paracord wrap was done nice and tight.  I've tried it myself before but it tends to shift with time.  Should I try wrapping it wet and letting it dry or using glue to keep it in place?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question and one I've been curious about as well. I have a Manticore Arms triangle stock I've been thinking about wrapping.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive been meaning to take step by step pics of how i do it but basicly run the rope ends opposite under the loops and make it as tight as u can. Mine have never moved but is a real pain in the ass to do.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#3]
It's in the Important Threads sticky.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/120934_.html
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's in the Important Threads sticky.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/120934_.html
View Quote

Hell, im gonna have to try it that way once.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I wrap the stock strut in 1mm thick 3M double sided tape before wrapping the stock in parachute rope (not 550 cord). It ain't going nowhere after that, and this wrapping has a little more "give" to it, which makes stock a lot more comfortable to shoot with.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Should be able to find 50' sections in your local Wal-Mart. Usually back with the other rope/clothesline in like hardware or over in sporting goods.

I put some foam pipe insulation over the stock arm before I wrapped mine; makes for a nice and cushy pad. It's a wee smidge high for shooting on the 100m setting, but on the 300m BSZ setting it's just right.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:22:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I found the tighter wrapped, the better. I wrapped mine so tight that I used a vise to hold the cord to do the final pull though. I probably could have wrapped the pull end around a good sized screw driver but the vise was easier to use. The wrap hasn't moved during repeated use over the last couple of years.
Do not wrap it wet! If you do, you will end up with a major rust problem under the cord.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I wrapped my paracord with that self bonding silicone tape from Lowe's/HD/HF which has a soft feel to it, and holds the cord in place. You lose sight of it, but I don't mind that. You can just use the tape, but it would take a lot to build up the thickness.
I just shot this today to sight in the Aimpoint H-1. Sweet!

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wrapped my paracord with that self bonding silicone tape from Lowe's/HD/HF which has a soft feel to it, and holds the cord in place. You lose sight of it, but I don't mind that. You can just use the tape, but it would take a lot to build up the thickness.
I just shot this today to sight in the Aimpoint H-1. Sweet!
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa219/faldoc/POHF%20AKS-74U/IMG_2998_zpse16af2e1.jpg
View Quote

I didn't think about that.  What section of Lowe's do you find this in?  In the pic, it looks like you just have paracord--can you post a close-up pic?

My current wrap is 6 mm neoprene underneath (sewed in place) with 550 paracord with the core removed to give it a flatter feel/appearance.  The neoprene is the padding and the cord is there to protect and keep the neoprene in place.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top