Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 11:59:05 PM EDT
Just need a quick favor from anyone with a TWS top cover.  I was just looking at the TWS website and saw that the recoil spring guide that TWS supplies with it is supposed to increase the amount of pressure put on the back of the top cover to keep it solid.

The top cover on my krink isn't very solid.  I was planning to rivet a rail to it, but need a way to make it more solid.  Could someone with a TWS test and see if the TWS recoil spring guide works in an AK that uses a normal top cover?  It doesn't need to be a krink, as the hole in the back of the top cover is the same for a normal AK.

I see TWS sells the recoil spring guide separate now.  So if it works with a normal top cover I'll order one and see if it helps.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just need a quick favor from anyone with a TWS top cover.  I was just looking at the TWS website and saw that the recoil spring guide that TWS supplies with it is supposed to increase the amount of pressure put on the back of the top cover to keep it solid.

The top cover on my krink isn't very solid.  I was planning to rivet a rail to it, but need a way to make it more solid.  Could someone with a TWS test and see if the TWS recoil spring guide works in an AK that uses a normal top cover?  It doesn't need to be a krink, as the hole in the back of the top cover is the same for a normal AK.

I see TWS sells the recoil spring guide separate now.  So if it works with a normal top cover I'll order one and see if it helps.

Thanks!
View Quote

I can check on mine; I don't think it was designed to increase back pressure on the top cover, I think it was only designed to fit the notch in the TWS that it sits in when closed. The standard guide/button from my AKs are a rather tight fit in the TWS.
The thing that keeps the TWS tight is also the bendable tab(s) on the sides.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote
Oh man don't do that to the krink. If it's a legit krink anyways. Just get the small rail that replaces the original rear sight.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

Just checked, doesn't fit my Bulgy AK-74 with standard top cover, the bottom of the "button" is slightly lower than the standard one so I can't get the cover down enough to get the button to come through the top cover hole.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just get the small rail that replaces the original rear sight.  
View Quote

That is pretty much what I'm doing.  Basically same idea as the stormworkz rail.  I'm not messing with the original top cover.. so I can return the gun back to factory config in about 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just checked, doesn't fit my Bulgy AK-74 with standard top cover, the bottom of the "button" is slightly lower than the standard one so I can't get the cover down enough to get the button to come through the top cover hole.
View Quote

Cool, thanks.  I figured that might be the case.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That is pretty much what I'm doing.  Basically same idea as the stormworkz rail.  I'm not messing with the original top cover.. so I can return the gun back to factory config in about 2 minutes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep same here, I am going with the Chaos Dust Cover Rail. The only thing that changes from the original set up is the pin that holds in the original rear sight, the rail rides on top of the original dust cover making it even sturdier. It got pretty good reviews from the AK union guys.

I was initially interested in the Zenit dust cover... but that thing is ridiculously priced at $399 and you have to buy a $350+ cheese grater  quadrail in order to mount it. I cant justify that price... unless it is indestructible

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Just checked on three different covers. The TWS guide rod is slightly larger than the standard guide, where it fits through the cover. I think if you didn't mind using a file to enlarge the hole just a bit, it would fit pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep same here, I am going with the Chaos Dust Cover Rail. The only thing that changes from the original set up is the pin that holds in the original rear sight, the rail rides on top of the original dust cover making it even sturdier. It got pretty good reviews from the AK union guys.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/hjhtn.hslse/v/vspfiles/photos/CHAOS-DUSTCOVER-RAIL-2.jpg?1390987313

I was initially interested in the Zenit dust cover... but that thing is ridiculously priced at $399 and you have to buy a $350+ cheese grater  quadrail in order to mount it. I cant justify that price... unless it is indestructible

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/VTn4NdmYSWE/maxresdefault.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn3.volusion.com/hjhtn.hslse/v/vspfiles/photos/CHAOS-DUSTCOVER-RAIL-2.jpg?1390987313

I really want to get the chaos, but lack of better reviews is keeping me away from them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What hand guard is that?

Edit: never mind, zoomed in and read where it says Zenit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I really want to get the chaos, but lack of better reviews is keeping me away from them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you see the bad reviews?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top