Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/28/2014 4:07:58 PM EDT
It's been sitting in the safe for about a year. I figured I'd get around to making it pretty one of these days. Any suggestions? None of the "SVD type" stocks seem to fit due to the squared off receiver (or at least I don't know of any).

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say for sure, but maybe one of the 2 stocks on bottom will fit your gun at this link.

I think either of those will. If I remember correctly the square back veprs fit any AK size buttstock. I'd go for that Tiger Maple, and stain it a deep red or something.

Maybe do something like this post here.

As for the hand guard, you could probably dye that also as is to see what it looks like, and maybe even rework it to look more like an SVD. If you fail at that possibly just buy some wood that fits better already with holes, and throw that on their.

Another option is to do the above with the buttstock, and then get an aluminum/metal style front rail like the following.

The other option you could do for the buttstock is get an M4 to AR adapter such as rifle dynamics. It's $65 here. And throw any m4 stock on it you want such as a magpul CTR if that's what you like.

I believe this is what that would look like here.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Since it's been in your safe for a year, I say put it back in for a few more.

Don't modify it at all.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I would stain the stock and hand guard with a deep, cherry stain.

I did it on my converted Saiga -74 and love it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can't say for sure, but maybe one of the 2 stocks on bottom will fit your gun at this link.

View Quote

I think either of those will. If I remember correctly the square back veprs fit any AK size buttstock. I'd go for that Tiger Maple, and stain it a deep red or something.

Maybe do something like this post here.

As for the hand guard, you could probably dye that also as is to see what it looks like, and maybe even rework it to look more like an SVD. If you fail at that possibly just buy some wood that fits better already with holes, and throw that on their.

Another option is to do the above with the buttstock, and then get an aluminum/metal style front rail like the following.

The other option you could do for the buttstock is get an M4 to AR adapter such as rifle dynamics. It's $65 here. And throw any m4 stock on it you want such as a magpul CTR if that's what you like.

I believe this is what that would look like here.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the troupsystems.com site.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I personally like the 54r VEPRs with wood on them instead of polymer and AR stocks.

Stain the handguard for sure, probably the stock too. Looks like that might be a bit rough, so maybe clean it up and make it nice.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's what I did with mine

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:52:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Here's what I did with mine

View Quote

That's nice. Parts list ?

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's been sitting in the safe for about a year. I figured I'd get around to making it pretty one of these days. Any suggestions? None of the "SVD type" stocks seem to fit due to the squared off receiver (or at least I don't know of any).

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66854

View Quote

I bought an extra nicely finished take off stock and handguard made for a slant back VEPR from Krebs and modified it to fit a square back 54R.  Works great and looks way better than the rough factory parts it came with.  

The AR style stocks look good and are very functional as well. May go that route someday.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=66854

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I got the Canis adapter that allows a AR buffer tube.  

http://www.canisdesigngroup.com/ak-to-m4-fixed-stock-adapter.html

Magpul CTR with extended buttpad

Magpul pistol grip

SGM tactical handguard  

tapco Razr muzzle break

Rail is the arsenal SM-13, add your choice of glass
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I got the Canis adapter that allows a AR buffer tube.  

http://www.canisdesigngroup.com/ak-to-m4-fixed-stock-adapter.html

Magpul CTR with extended buttpad

Magpul pistol grip

SGM tactical handguard  

tapco Razr muzzle break    

Rail is the arsenal SM-13, add your choice of glass

Thanks, I will probably do some variation of this

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top