Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2014 12:46:04 PM EDT

Ok, so I got my new AK47 and am confused about the best value ammunition that ranks up there with say Golden Tiger (since that seems to be one of the favorites), in the .18 to .24 cent range.  I would like a sealed primer (if possible) non-corrosive round.   Bullet weight does not matter as it's just for all around plinking, however I'd like something that can be stored for a long time without problems.  I plan to stock up now and by long time I mean 10-20 years.   Any help would be greatly appreciated as there seems to be a myriad of ammo available in this caliber.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Russian steel cased, lacquer coated, and FMJ bullet would seem to be the optimum fit for what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Russian steel cased, lacquer coated, and FMJ bullet would seem to be the optimum fit for what you are looking for.
View Quote

Ok, sounds good- thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know the price off-hand, but one of the Red Army Standard variants (the Romanian) is lacquer-coated with sealed. You can also find some Brown Bear with lacquer and seals (but not all brown bear is, so check the description).
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
This comes in at 24 cents pre shipping, and meets your criteria. Based in OK so you will have to check shipping. http://www.sgammo.com/product/red-army-standard/1080-round-case-762x39-fmj-123-grain-steel-case-non-corrosive-ammunition--0#
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I have some Golden Tiger put up but my preferred ammo to stock up on is just regular old Wolf. I just finished shooting some loose Wolf FMJ that I've had stored in .30cal cans since 2003. It's not laquer coated or anything, but it stayed looking brand new in those ammo cans for all that time and not one round ever malfunctioned.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Golden Tiger is hard to beat, and it's in your price range.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
Not in stock right now, and the next shipment is supposed to be 5.45 in a month or so.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#9]
got 1000 rounds of golden tiger back when it was $219 per 1k from sgammo. works well. seems accurate enough. run through about 200 rounds with no issues so far.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok, so I got my new AK47 and am confused about the best value ammunition that ranks up there with say Golden Tiger (since that seems to be one of the favorites), in the .18 to .24 cent range.  I would like a sealed primer (if possible) non-corrosive round.   Bullet weight does not matter as it's just for all around plinking, however I'd like something that can be stored for a long time without problems.  I plan to stock up now and by long time I mean 10-20 years.   Any help would be greatly appreciated as there seems to be a myriad of ammo available in this caliber.
View Quote

I like yugo m67 corrosive for long-term storage followed by G Tiger.  For plinking I just buy the cheapest.  Congrats on the AK purchase!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
got 1000 rounds of golden tiger back when it was $219 per 1k from sgammo. works well. seems accurate enough. run through about 200 rounds with no issues so far.
View Quote

Yeah, I should have jumped on the Golden Tiger awhile back when I saw it at sgammo.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I like yugo m67 corrosive for long-term storage followed by G Tiger.  For plinking I just buy the cheapest.  Congrats on the AK purchase!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#13]
The Red Army stuff is good, IMHO after Golden Tiger my next choice would be Red Army.I think GT still had a slight advantage in accuracy. But I haven't shot them both side by side out of the same gun on the same day so I can't confirm that. SGAmmo gets GT in all the time, you probably won't have to wait long if that's what you want. I checked my last order and I got 500 rnds GT from SGAmmo for $122 (24.4 cents), 500 rnds Wolf Military classic is $115 now (23 cents) and 540 rnds Red Army is $130 (26 cents). Also, both are advertised as lacquer coated, GT cases looks shiney but Red Army cases look flat, so there's two different coatings there. SGAmmo gets GT in regularly, I'd be surprised if they go empty for over a month. If you're not concerned about long term shelf life then Wolf Military classic (not Black) or Brown Bear is a good choice.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Discussion over, case closed.  Buy it cheap and stack it deep while you can.

I wish I were able to have 50 cases of it put away right now.  I can see the price of this stuff going for over $600/case in the near future.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top