Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/24/2014 8:16:49 AM EDT
I've been wanting another 7.62x39 AK for awhile. All I have is a Norinco under folder so that tells you how long it's been since I've looked at 7.62 AKs. I have to say there is a dizzying amount to choose from these days. A few caught my eye but one that I was leaning towards is the ZASTAVA AK-47 M70 O- PAP at Atlantic. However I'm open to any recommendations that you more savvy in the way of the AK might have.  I'm open to under folder or wood stock.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been wanting another 7.62x39 AK for awhile. All I have is a Norinco under folder so that tells you how long it's been since I've looked at 7.62 AKs. I have to say there is a dizzying amount to choose from these days. A few caught my eye but one that I was leaning towards is the ZASTAVA AK-47 M70 O- PAP at Atlantic. However I'm open to any recommendations that you more savvy in the way of the AK might have.  I'm open to under folder or wood stock.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
View Quote

Very nice rifles, every bit as nice as my russian/bulgarian AKs.  I would go with the O-PAP or SLR107-FR
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:47:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes..the O-PAP over the other PAP models available if given the choice!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I woulod take the n-pap over the o-pap its a better AK. The o-pap comes with a single bolt and had problems. I just picked up a n-pap and love it, Its built like a tank and also has better furnature.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I woulod take the n-pap over the o-pap its a better AK. The o-pap comes with a single bolt and had problems. I just picked up a n-pap and love it, Its built like a tank and also has better furnature.
View Quote

Not true.  Either comes with a double stack bolt.  The O-PAP is no longer imported, and commands a higher value.  It is built on surplus bulged trunion parts kits, with a thicker receiver.  The N-PAP is all new parts, smooth side receiver that is 1mm thick.  The O is beefier and heavier.  The N is cheaper, lighter, made with all new parts, and is also high quality, but the stock is funky shaped.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not true.  Either comes with a double stack bolt.  The O-PAP is no longer imported, and commands a higher value.  It is built on surplus bulged trunion parts kits, with a thicker receiver.  The N-PAP is all new parts, smooth side receiver that is 1mm thick.  The O is beefier and heavier.  The N is cheaper, lighter, made with all new parts, and is also high quality, but the stock is funky shaped.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You better do a little research.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, I would get one while you still can.  The O-pap is a very nice rifle.  I was really impressed with mine.  I agree that it is as high quality as my Russian/Bulgarian rifles.  The Pap's are a best buy in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]
My understanding is both N & O come with double stack bolts. The O has thicker 1.6mm (or 1.5mm) RPK receiver. N has the 1mm receiver which is fine. O has surplus furniture which is one thing that attracted me to it. N has new furniture. Some might prefer that. I wanted a more rustic look. Both are supposed to be good rifles.

Anyone have thoughts on This ?

Appreciate the help.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Some of the N-Paps came in with single stack bolts...mostly the first ones.  O-Paps came out with doubles and I believe an RPK style trunnion.  Now the N-Pap has a double stack bolt and has the lighter trunnion.  O-Paps I believe are a dying breed, get one while you can because they wont be imported anymore.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#9]
OPAP......do it!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:26:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My understanding is both N & O come with double stack bolts. The O has thicker 1.6mm (or 1.5mm) RPK receiver. N has the 1mm receiver which is fine. O has surplus furniture which is one thing that attracted me to it. N has new furniture. Some might prefer that. I wanted a more rustic look. Both are supposed to be good rifles.

Anyone have thoughts on This ?

Appreciate the help.

View Quote

You're right. You'd do well to get the OPAP. Very nice rifles.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I have both....the O is definitely the more quality of the 2. Really love the surplus wood too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:24:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you need to stfu b/c you're clueless. You are confusing gen 1 PAP
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.

I'd like to jump on an O PAP from Atlantic, but $800 after transfer is a bit much for me.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah...I already have.  That's where you and I differ.  Gen 1 PAP had bulged trunion and single stack bolt.  It was not an O-PAP.  O-PAPs have always come with double stack bolts.  Early N-PAPs came with single stack bolts, but now they come with double stack.  Now you don't have to research anything.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:21:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, it is done. Ordered the O-PAP from Atlantic Firearms. Never thought I'd have such a hard time picking a AK style rifle. Almost went for an Arsenal SLR-107. I already splurged a bit on a SGL31-62 not too long ago though so I tried to take it easy on my wife and excercise a little restraint. Lol! The O-PAP kept luring me back.

It's unfortunate that at some point the O-PAP rifles will not be available. Wish I could afford two.

Thanks again for the help deciding!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top