Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/18/2014 8:59:36 PM EDT
I haven't owned an AK is quite some time.

A decade or more ago one of the best (I think) were those of Arsenal Inc.  Today the SAM-7 looks interesting.  Any reason to buy it over the Yugo 70AB2 or Yugo Zastava NPAP.
Also what is the difference between those two Yugo's?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#1]
First, you must decide if you want a milled AK or a stamped AK.
If you want a milled AK, then the SAM7 is the way to go. If you want stamped, then an N-Pap is a good choice.
There is a good N-Pap vs O-Pap video on You Tube, but I'm not sure about the difference in the N-Pap vs. the 70AB2

You mentioned Arsenal Inc. Bear in mind that the current SAM7 series are Arsenal-of-Bulgaria imports.
The previously offered SA M-7 series of rifles were made by Arsenal Inc. (Las Vegas) and had US-made receivers.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#2]
American-made receivers were milled on Bulgarian-made machinery.  I've got one; and it's a very fine, accurate AK.  Shoots on par with my Colt Manufacturing LE6920.  I can't say enough good about my well-made Arsenal, Inc. AK 101 Variant.  (SA-M5-S)
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
American-made receivers were milled on Bulgarian-made machinery.  I've got one; and it's a very fine, accurate AK.
View Quote

Yes, the Arsenal Inc. receivers are built to Arsenal Bulgaria spec, and equally as good. I have also owned both. Most just prefer a factory-built import.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#4]
The NPAP is a factory made rifle. The M70AB2 that is available in the US is built from a parts kit.
My 0.02 $ get the NPAP. The NPAP is factory made in Serbia at the famous Zastava factory then converted by century. The NPAP will have a new cold hammer forged barrel.
The M70AB2 has to either use a surplus barrel or a US made barrel. A new cold hammer forged zastava barrel is generally considered preferable to a new button rifled US barrel.
Both the NPAP and M70AB2 are NOT chrome lined.

Arsenal makes a great product that really isn't argued. What is argued is whether the substantially higher price is worthwhile in comparison to other rifles that are also very nice. IMO Arsenal has the quality but the price tag is disproportionate to other options.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The NPAP is a factory made rifle. The M70AB2 that is available in the US is built from a parts kit.
My 0.02 $ get the NPAP. The NPAP is factory made in Serbia at the famous Zastava factory then converted by century. The NPAP will have a new cold hammer forged barrel.
The M70AB2 has to either use a surplus barrel or a US made barrel. A new cold hammer forged zastava barrel is generally considered preferable to a new button rifled US barrel.

Arsenal makes a great product that really isn't argued. What is argued is whether the substantially higher price is worthwhile in comparison to other rifles that are also very nice. IMO Arsenal has the quality but the price tag is disproportionate to other options.
View Quote

Great post, agree 110%.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The N-PAP is a good rifle, my only gripe about it is the high comb of the stock. The comb makes it akward shooting it, you got to adjust your head out of the way or some weird funky stuff. It's probably fine if you're going to put a red dot on it but you would need to worry about modifying or purchasing a side rail for it. Also kind of a pain purchasing stuff for it. I have a M+M M10 and the thing is pretty cool right out of the box. It's Romanian made with some tactical accessories on it. Mine has a rail and adjustable AR style stock on it. The only thing about the M10 is they use the crappy WASR paint on it.

I have a CNC Warrior M92 carbine and that thing is a cool little Serbian gun, I'm waiting on a tax stamp for it but I like it more than the NPAP. I have a stormwerkz rail on it with a red dot and it's a nifty little folding ak.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up an NPAP last month as my first AK and I love it. I purchased a side rail and mount from RS regulate and mounted a cheap primary arms micro dot.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I have owned many AK's through the years. I just recently had a craveing for a high quality milled type. I got the SAM7R . Never looked back. The cost is up there. It is over priced ?? yes. But it is a top line milled AK. Smooth as a baby's ass. There is nothing wrong with most other AK's out there. Hell one of my favorites is the least costing AK I ever bought. $280  Romanian SAR1 laminate. It shoots minute of pie plate ... If you decide to get a SAM7R just know you got one of the nicest AK's there is to have in the current market....Thats my opinion, Wardawg
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

The one thing that Arsenal has consistently done (that others really haven't), is produce factory built guns in just about every configuration.

Nothing mechanically magical about any AK.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
 .......  Arsenal makes a great product that really isn't argued. What is argued is whether the substantially higher price is worthwhile in comparison to other rifles that are also very nice. IMO Arsenal has the quality but the price tag is disproportionate to other options.
View Quote

Much as I hate to admit it:  Yes, I know I overpaid for mine; but, if I hadn't grabbed it when I did, the two other guys standing next to me at that vendor's table would have!  (One even cursed at me as I  picked it up before he was able to reach it.)  I really like this AK, intend to keep it, 'forever', and have no plans to buy another one.  This is it!    
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#11]
The Arsenal is top of the line, no doubt.  But the N-pap's are high quality too and also made from a real East European AK factory.  The difference between M70AB2 is built by Century Arms here in the USA with a US receiver and barrel from a M70 kit.  I am partial to the N-pap over the Arsenal due to a lower cost.  It is a high quality Zastava made rifle and a best buy in my opinion.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Much as I hate to admit it:  Yes, I know I overpaid for mine; but, if I hadn't grabbed it when I did, the two other guys standing next to me at that vendor's table would have!  (One even cursed at me as I  picked it up before he was able to reach it.)  I really like this AK, intend to keep it, 'forever', and have no plans to buy another one.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 .......  Arsenal makes a great product that really isn't argued. What is argued is whether the substantially higher price is worthwhile in comparison to other rifles that are also very nice. IMO Arsenal has the quality but the price tag is disproportionate to other options.

Much as I hate to admit it:  Yes, I know I overpaid for mine; but, if I hadn't grabbed it when I did, the two other guys standing next to me at that vendor's table would have!  (One even cursed at me as I  picked it up before he was able to reach it.)  I really like this AK, intend to keep it, 'forever', and have no plans to buy another one.  

I own two Arsenals and a VEPR. I've downsized  considerably due to my current circumstances and you know what I don't miss the other ones. It is kind of weird to realize that you have what you need even though it is with less rifles. It really is better quality gun time managing and optimizing fewer rifles than the golden horde.

I am an Arsenal fan but honestly i've found that most AKs function about the same especially after tricking them out and wearing in the moving parts. Don't put Arsenal on a golden pedestal but appreciate it as a well made rifle.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Arsenals have great fit and finish. I recently picked up a Sam7 w a fixed stock and it is a very nice rifle. The sam and my wasr 10 function the same. I love the action of the AK. What you pay for with the arsenal is not function, but resale and collector value. If that is important to you than go for it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want a milled receiver then Arsenal is the best game in town. But  when it comes to stamped receiver rifles, I'd take the NPAP over an Arsenal every time. I personally think the NPAP is every bit as good (and is certainly better finished) as a stamped Arsenal for half the price. That said, if you are looking for a stamped receiver AK, I'd say grab an OPAP while you still can.

Quoted:
The sam and my wasr 10 function the same. I love the action of the AK. What you pay for with the arsenal is not function, but resale and collector value. If that is important to you than go for it.
View Quote

^^^^^ Truth.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:07:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If you want a milled receiver then Arsenal is the best game in town. But  when it comes to stamped receiver rifles, I'd take the NPAP over an Arsenal every time. I personally think the NPAP is every bit as good (and is certainly better finished) as a stamped Arsenal for half the price. That said, if you are looking for a stamped receiver AK, I'd say grab an OPAP while you still can.
^^^^^ Truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The sam and my wasr 10 function the same. I love the action of the AK. What you pay for with the arsenal is not function, but resale and collector value. If that is important to you than go for it.

^^^^^ Truth.
I don't think I an agree with that. Especially the SAM vs WASR. The action on my milled guns is 10x better than that of my stamped. Nm a stamped WASR.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't think I an agree with that. Especially the SAM vs WASR. The action on my milled guns is 10x better than that of my stamped. Nm a stamped WASR.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

^^^^^ Truth.
While I agree with your post about the action being smoother on a milled ak, I think that it falls into fit and finish rather than the actual function of the firearm.

http://youtu.be/HhGih7eWI3E fast forward to around 4:00. I think any ak regardless of construction will fire with cottage cheese, peanut butter, and a ham sandwich jammed into the action. The sam7 is a prom queen and the wasr is a biker bitch, but they'll both get the job done.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top