BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/6/2014 1:34:55 PM EDT
From my search it looks like it's made in Poland in Radom (Location, not factory). Different manufacturer completely than FB.

As far as quality, anyone have first hand experience? Aim has some cheap ak's if they hold up to QC
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
From my search it looks like it's made in Poland in Radom (Location, not factory). Different manufacturer completely than FB.

As far as quality, anyone have first hand experience? Aim has some cheap ak's if they hold up to QC
View Quote

Chrome lined barrels AND hammer-forged?  Better than a wasr?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WASR barrels are hammer forged and chrome lined.

You might want to do a search on these rifles. They were imported once before about two years ago.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
AIM has them in stock, just posted in rifle thread, $479.95 for the wood stocked model and $499.95 for the sidefolder, at the price it's worth looking into for sure I think, who's gonna be the guinea pig?

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#5]
is 1:10RH standard for all ak barrels?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
If those say I.O Inc on them anywhere........................ just sayin
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

No need to caveat this -- I will blindly distrust anything from IO until it's been irrefutably proven trustworthy.  I don't want them to gain any traction in the US, as every sale IO makes potentially represents a lost opportunity for a company that isn't run by mentally deficient chihuahuas.

I was interested in this rifle until I saw the IO connection.  This is a no go for me.  IO, if you're reading this, please sell your connections/network/relationships to a company that can actually support/produce/import a decent product.  Go out of business - no one in the firearms community respects you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Do these have the bayonet lugs intact? Just making sure.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 4:59:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Pioneer Arms website

Atleast they use ISO 9001

Made in Poland however IO is there Representative.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:40:41 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I was set to order one but I'm thinking I won't after reading some of what people who bought those had to say
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like the bayonet lug is there in the photos from AIM and Pioneer websites.

Seems the original IO debacle was a couple years ago now, maybe they got their shit straight?  I'm gonna roll the dice and order one on Monday.  FWIW, all I'm after is a range gun, so as long as the front sight isn't crooked and it goes bang when I pull the trigger, I'll be happy.

Will report back when it comes in.

-hd92
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 8:45:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought one when IO first imported them, I paid over $600 and it was very well built, in Poland, not by IO here in the US. Those first ones had a mix of new Polish and surplus Romanian parts, these are ALL new Polish parts.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I ordered the wood stock version from AIM yesterday when I got their weekly email.  I'm going under the assumption that these will be a Polish barreled receiver with some Romanian thrown in.  That doesn't bother me since it's going to have US parts in it anyway.  Really wanted a standard AKM and this is the closest thing on the market.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#15]
IO's reputation is pretty damning. That is a good deal, but priced at or better than a wasr (while plain or ugly, they WORK), I am very skeptical.

I looked at the Pioneer arms website, says everything is made in Poland from new parts. Still skeptical but intrigued.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I ordered the wood stock version from AIM yesterday when I got their weekly email.  I'm going under the assumption that these will be a Polish barreled receiver with some Romanian thrown in.  That doesn't bother me since it's going to have US parts in it anyway.  Really wanted a standard AKM and this is the closest thing on the market.
View Quote

Please give us a detailed review and range report with pics if you would be so kind. Thank you.

When I received the email I almost jumped and bought one too because it looks nice but then I remembered people complaining a couple of years ago so I put the brakes on for now. Nothing against AIM, they're good people. I've spent some hard earned coin with them but they're only selling the rifle
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#18]
In for the range report
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In for the range report
View Quote

Ditto.

And from looking at the site, doesn't look like IO has anything to do with building these.....

AIM surplus selling them seals the deal for me, solid vendor, Bryan will absolutely take care of any issues anyone might have.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#20]
For $479 its worth the risk i think.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For $479 its worth the risk i think.
View Quote

If I take my time and shop around, I can build a rifle for that much. I will wait for some reviews, personally.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ditto.

And from looking at the site, doesn't look like IO has anything to do with building these.....

AIM surplus selling them seals the deal for me, solid vendor, Bryan will absolutely take care of any issues anyone might have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In for the range report

Ditto.

And that's why I bought one now.  IO/Royal Tiger has had these on their website for $499 but I didn't order from them.  Being able to buy it from AIM for less money made it an easy decision.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you look at the larger pics on the right side of the receiver just under the bolt it is clearly marked

I.O. INC.
PALM BAY, FL.

I am curious on the mag they show, looks like a POS ProMag.

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#24]
At that price, it looks like its a good answer to all those, "What's a good truck gun" threads.   In for the review.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Looking forward to some hands on reviews. I'd specifically like to see how it stacks up to a WASR.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Someone should direct Bryan to this thread.
Maybe he had some hands on experience with it?

I'd like to pick one up.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#27]

When is this one coming?
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Manufacturer does not make rifles for the military, only civilian market.  Rifles could not enter the US looking like they do, so someone is doing conversion work.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#30]
good price for an AK. It's nice seeing that price tag, would still prefer under $400, but hey, not too shabby.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
At that price, it looks like its a good answer to all those, "What's a good truck gun" threads.   In for the review.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm wanting a 2nd AK type rifle. (Have a N-PAP through AIM)

Was going to pull the trigger on this but am now hesitant. I guess I'll stay in holding pattern until someone reports on these.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone received one yet?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a second question regarding these as well. Excuse my ignorance in this matter but, what is the deal with the wire folder and other options? If I wanted to go to an ace type folder what would have to be done?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Since Pioneer Arms' website says that they're made from "new parts", the company could simply be utilizing virgin AKs from the Communist era, trashing the old receivers and mating everything to newly made receivers.  I noticed in the one picture on AIM's website showing the left side of the rifle that the SN on the rear trunnion starts with "PA" so the trunnions might be new (guessing that PA stands for Pioneer Arms).  Considering how many new parts kits came in from Poland over the years until they were banned, there still has to be a ton of them over there.  Could Tantals be coming next?
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Also in for review and range report.  Looking to buy my first ak and think I've narrowed it down to this rifle or the polish that Atlantic firearms is selling but can't figure out why such a big difference in price.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Picked up mine today, and I have to say I am very pleased with what came out of the box.  This is my first AK, so if I get some terminology wrong please correct me.

Metal is Parkerized with an even finish, wood looks nice, and the metal-to-wood fit is good.  Stocks are solid with no play.  I field stripped it and all parts and internals look as-new, everything has a light coat of oil on it.  It does appear to have been test fired.  Bolt is serial numbered to the receiver.  Is there anywhere else it should be serialed?  Trigger group is Tapco.  Two polymer mags were included, they are marked IO INC and fit solidly into the receiver with no slop at all.  Front sight is straight and not canted.  There's also a little accessories kit with some brushes, oil bottle, etc.  I think I read that they machine out the mag well on these?  If so they did a good job, there are a few slight scratches on the dimple just inside the mag well, but nothing egregious.

I'm out of town this weekend so the range report will have to wait a few days, but I'm trying to get out next week sometime.

So far, for $489, I'm very happy with it.

-hd92
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a second question regarding these as well. Excuse my ignorance in this matter but, what is the deal with the wire folder and other options? If I wanted to go to an ace type folder what would have to be done?

Unscrew the included stock and pull it out, slide in the Ace screw it on.

It utilizes a standard stamped AK receiver rear trunnion.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 5:02:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Is the barrel really chrome lined?  The manufacturer's website never stated it was chrome lined, only AIM.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is the barrel really chrome lined?  The manufacturer's website never stated it was chrome lined, only AIM.
View Quote

Yes it is chrome lined.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#41]
POOP now OOS. I hesitated ordering one now I may be SOL.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Picked up mine today, and I have to say I am very pleased with what came out of the box.  This is my first AK, so if I get some terminology wrong please correct me.

Metal is Parkerized with an even finish, wood looks nice, and the metal-to-wood fit is good.  Stocks are solid with no play.  I field stripped it and all parts and internals look as-new, everything has a light coat of oil on it.  It does appear to have been test fired.  Bolt is serial numbered to the receiver.  Is there anywhere else it should be serialed?  Trigger group is Tapco.  Two polymer mags were included, they are marked IO INC and fit solidly into the receiver with no slop at all.  Front sight is straight and not canted.  There's also a little accessories kit with some brushes, oil bottle, etc.  I think I read that they machine out the mag well on these?  If so they did a good job, there are a few slight scratches on the dimple just inside the mag well, but nothing egregious.

I'm out of town this weekend so the range report will have to wait a few days, but I'm trying to get out next week sometime.

So far, for $489, I'm very happy with it.

-hd92
View Quote

Thanks hd92, let us know how it shoots. You can test it by shooting those IO mags.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey folks. Pioneer Arms has a Youtube channel. More promotional than informative.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:52:31 AM EDT
[#44]
More updates from those that have one, please?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:13:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yes it is chrome lined.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is chrome lined.

Does it have proof marks on it?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#46]
I'll post when mine comes in next week. Couldn't resist. Can't remember the last time I paid under $500 for a ready to go out of the box AK.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm thinking about buying one of these rifles, but I was wondering if they are still using a mix of Polish and Romanian AKM parts or if they finally settle on simply using only Polish parts...  The most important part of this rifle to me will be the the receiver, which is "appears" to be Polish AND the barrel, which I'm also hoping that it is without question, Polish as well.

Besides the 6 needed U.S. made parts, to make it legal, I truly hope that it is made of Polish parts, so I can add a "Polish" AKM to the collection.  

...Chance of ever owning a 100% true Polish semi-auto AK is aobut "ZERO," so this is my best bet.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about buying one of these rifles, but I was wondering if they are still using a mix of Polish and Romanian AKM parts or if they finally settle on simply using only Polish parts...  The most important part of this rifle to me will be the the receiver, which is "appears" to be Polish AND the barrel, which I'm also hoping that it is without question, Polish as well.

Besides the 6 needed U.S. made parts, to make it legal, I truly hope that it is made of Polish parts, so I can add a "Polish" AKM to the collection.  

...Chance of ever owning a 100% true Polish semi-auto AK is aobut "ZERO," so this is my best bet.
View Quote

There are these too...

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are these too...

http://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/45471531_0.jpg

Those are nice... But looking for a Polish "AKM" type rifle in 7.62x39mm.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I agree with you bergunx about wanting a real Polish AKM.  I made an earlier post here or in another thread stating (roughly) that with as many AKMs as Poland had, and as many complete matching parts kits as they sold here before barrels got banned, it's kinda weird to think that they would have to cobble a "parts kit" together with Romanian parts.  There's just something about that which doesn't sit right with me.  

An alternative for an all Polish AKM would be to mate a Polish receiver (receiver shells available now for some time) to a complete all Polish parts kits.  Yeah, I know it would be considered a US gun because it was assembled here but BFD!  YOU KNOW that it's Polish and that's all that matters.  Don't know what the cost would be to do this, though.  I have all the parts needed.  Just wanna find someone to do the build correctly.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top