Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/23/2014 6:45:31 PM EDT
This is a question that combat vets of OEF can probably answer. How common are side folders and scope rails on actual Khybe pass guns? From what I am seeing in pics most of them that have folding stocks seem to have underfolders. Also from talking to one of my coworkers where he was at they came accross mostly enfields, rpk's and PKM's not so many AK's but that was in 2010-2011 in Wordak and Logar provences so he can't really speak to the side folders.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I ran across a few side folders, some of which actually worked; most were pinned/fixed due to being damaged.

Underfolders, only one that I can remember:  a 1958 Type II milled.

All 7.62 and nearly all standard wood-stocked 47s.

Only ever saw one AKS-74U.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Its mostly factory AKs in Afghanistan.   The Afghans that I "talked guns with" mostly preferred Russian or Euro AKs and regarded the Chinese AK as less durable, but placed "Paki-made" as rock bottom.

Real "Khyber Pass" guns can vary widely from anything made in a factory, and can incorporate all manner of parts and pieces that were randomly available when it was made.

Here's a Khyber carbine:

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:40:56 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/82-central-asian-khyber/54723-khyber-pass-rifles-some-new-info.html
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/82-central-asian-khyber/54723-khyber-pass-rifles-some-new-info.html
View Quote

Dear god, the horror. I'm speechless at some of the work. but I do wonder how good they actually work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dear god, the horror. I'm speechless at some of the work. but I do wonder how good they actually work.
View Quote

You would not believe how crafty they are at klunging stuff together...weapons included.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top