Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 2:29:56 AM EDT
I know this has been asked before, but I just want to get an idea. Sometime down the road I plan to have my SLR107F reparked and refinished in Molyresin, possibly. Is it a lot more durable than the Bulgarian factory finish? I redid the muzzle brake (was chipping/flaking) on my SLR in Duplicolor 1634 engine enamel and it has held up far better than the factory paint. No chips or flakes.

Just want a stronger finish. I know I'll get it's an AK comments, but I take pride in what I own.

Prob won't be for awhile though, thanks!

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:16:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I can tell you that Chris Butler has this finish he uses that is freakin awesome. You should call him up when the time is right and see what he will charge to do your rifle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Molyresin is good stuff and pretty darn close to the finishes the Bulgarians and Russians use. I would recommend it. Having said that, there are all kinds of finishes out there similar to molyresin that are just as good.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:43:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know this has been asked before, but I just want to get an idea. Sometime down the road I plan to have my SLR107F reparked and refinished in Molyresin, possibly. Is it a lot more durable than the Bulgarian factory finish? I redid the muzzle brake (was chipping/flaking) on my SLR in Duplicolor 1634 engine enamel and it has held up far better than the factory paint. No chips or flakes.

Just want a stronger finish. I know I'll get it's an AK comments, but I take pride in what I own.

Prob won't be for awhile though, thanks!

View Quote

I have a 107CR that's been Moly'd over park.  Very durable, I don't see how you could go wrong with it.  

I've heard great things about the durability (and color similarity to original Russian finish) of Chris' finish too.  Good guy to talk with.  Will take the time to give you solid info.  He's pricey but from what I seen, does great work.  I'm going  to try his finish on a Russian project.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Molyresin and Cerakote are my two favorite coatings.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can tell you that Chris Butler has this finish he uses that is freakin awesome. You should call him up when the time is right and see what he will charge to do your rifle.
View Quote

I looked into it, but seems expensive for just a repark/paint job. Right now I have on my mind PoHF, I think Mario is his name.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Mario did mine.  Does great work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good to know. Has it held up well?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:25:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I looked into it, but seems expensive for just a repark/paint job. Right now I have on my mind PoHF, I think Mario is his name.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

it's definitely not cheap, but it's extremely durable.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely; Mario does great work and has a great reputation.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:26:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Who is Mario?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top