Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2014 12:00:04 PM EDT
Ive been craving a 74, but now with the 5.45 ammo import ban things arent looking so good. Would it be better to just get an AK in .223 instead?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
7n6 is about 21 cents.
Wolf .223 is about 29 cents.
Wolf 5.45 is about 27 cents.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
ok thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it's still worth it.  I just bought 750 rounds of commercial 5.45 WPA for my AR at $0.25 a round.  Still cheaper than .223 WPA at 0.27 a round and way cheaper than brass 5.56 at $0.35 a round (I don't reload yet).  I like steel 5.45 over steel .223.  More reliable extraction with the cartridge taper over the .223/5.56 and no worries about switching between steel and brass ammo and chamber fouling.  During the panic, I could find 5.45 on the shelves at Academy whenever I wanted.  There's also the .223/5.56 AK mag issue.

my $0.02
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#4]
5.56/.223 still isn't any cheaper and mags are even more expensive and hard to find than 74 mags.  Unless you are stocked up on .223 I wouldnt go that route.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
5.56/.223 still isn't any cheaper and mags are even more expensive and hard to find than 74 mags.  Unless you are stocked up on .223 I wouldnt go that route.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#6]
No, it's not worth it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought some 7n6 for 19 cents a round at the end of last week.

I don't need any more.

But I need more.

Always more.

(Message sent from 7n6 Mountain)
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, it's still worth it.  I just bought 750 rounds of commercial 5.45 WPA for my AR at $0.25 a round.  Still cheaper than .223 WPA at 0.27 a round and way cheaper than brass 5.56 at $0.35 a round (I don't reload yet).  I like steel 5.45 over steel .223.  More reliable extraction with the cartridge taper over the .223/5.56 and no worries about switching between steel and brass ammo and chamber fouling.  During the panic, I could find 5.45 on the shelves at Academy whenever I wanted.  There's also the .223/5.56 AK mag issue.

my $0.02
View Quote

What issue is that?  Just stick to Bulgy mags...they will last forever.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#9]
No it isn't worth having one at all.  In fact, I'm going to lug all my 5.45x39 AR's and AK's out my basement door, walk the 50 feet to my lake shore and throw all those rifle into the lake.  Then I'm going to pull my wheel barrow up to the door and load my 15,000 rounds of 5.45x39 ammo up, load up my boat and sink it all to the bottom of the lake.

I actually sold two rifles in the caliber last week.  Still have 3 rifles left and I enjoy the round.  I have plenty of 7n6 but haven't shot any of it, I shoot commercial ammo.  I think I'll sell all my 7n6 in about 5 years spend the profits on hookers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No, it's not worth it.
View Quote

Why?  You running low on your stash?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, it's not worth it.

Nope, not at all. In fact, I bought a crate of 80's Bulgarian 7n6 from my local shop that had it priced at $320 out the door since it wasn't "the more expensive Russian stuff". I'm just going to make that my go to answer for these threads that have been popping up once a week since the ban since no one seems to actually be taking the advice that has been given a bunch of times already. This way that leaves more rifles/mags/accessories for me. If you want a '74, buy the f***ing '74 and quite bitching about it.

I should note that the last part wasn't directed at the OP or anyone else specifically.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No it isn't worth having one at all.  In fact, I'm going to lug all my 5.45x39 AR's and AK's out my basement door, walk the 50 feet to my lake shore and throw all those rifle into the lake.  Then I'm going to pull my wheel barrow up to the door and load my 15,000 rounds of 5.45x39 ammo up, load up my boat and sink it all to the bottom of the lake.

I actually sold two rifles in the caliber last week.  Still have 3 rifles left and I enjoy the round.  I have plenty of 7n6 but haven't shot any of it, I shoot commercial ammo.  I think I'll sell all my 7n6 in about 5 years spend the profits on hookers.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:31:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

my $0.02

Whenever mags are 40 bucks there is an issue.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+473
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

my $0.02

I can't argue with that when we used to be able to get them for $20 to $25.  Still, in today's market you can get a 106 for $100 to $200 less than a 104 so the $15 extra for a set of mags will be offset by a cheaper rifle.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#16]
This may sound like a stupid question, but why is the 7n6 ban really scarring people that bad? I mean you can still get wolf ammo for it super cheap. I've shot thousands of rounds through AKs and never bought surplus, its all been wolf, GT, etc..
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This may sound like a stupid question, but why is the 7n6 ban really scarring people that bad? I mean you can still get wolf ammo for it super cheap. I've shot thousands of rounds through AKs and never bought surplus, its all been wolf, GT, etc..
View Quote

It seems like a huge amount of people don't realize it's only the surplus ammo that is banned.  They seem to think all 5.45 is banned.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Dan's ammo supposedly had crates of 7n6 stacked from floor to ceiling.  Something like $205.00 per tin or so but only selling it by the crate.  If you want/need it, order some.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It seems like a huge amount of people don't realize it's only the surplus ammo that is banned.  They seem to think all 5.45 is banned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew only 7n6  was the only thing banned but  I wasn't aware how much commercial ammo was out there as well. You guys are terrible at talking people out of things.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#20]
http://www.ammoman.com/545-x-39-russian

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/2160-round-crate-545x39-russian-military-surplus-7n6-52-grain-fmj-ammo-limit-5-crate
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
XXXXXXXXXXXX

http://www.sgammo.com/product/surplus/2160-round-crate-545x39-russian-military-surplus-7n6-52-grain-fmj-ammo-limit-5-crate
View Quote

The one I didn't quote was banned on the site for being a thief in a gun deal and links to his site are not supposed to be posted I think since they kicked him from the forum.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The one I didn't quote was banned on the site for being a thief in a gun deal and links to his site are not supposed to be posted I think since they kicked him from the forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Oh really?? I didn't know. My apologies. Link to incident? If its true I will stop buying from there as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 10 cents a round increase from 7n6 and commerical is pretty big, An extra 3 dollars every time you shoot magazine. Extremely cheap milsurp was why people were getting into it in the first place. Commercial stuff is about the same as .223 Wolf so may as well shoot the AR.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:06:13 AM EDT
[#24]
At these prices, id rather save the time cleaning and pay the little extra money for commercial.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:15:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh really?? I didn't know. My apologies. Link to incident? If its true I will stop buying from there as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Here you go.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A 10 cents a round increase from 7n6 and commerical is pretty big, An extra 3 dollars every time you shoot magazine. Extremely cheap milsurp was why people were getting into it in the first place. Commercial stuff is about the same as .223 Wolf so may as well shoot the AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, I got into it because commercial ammo in 5.45x39 caliber was $99.00 a case of 1,000.  All you guys that got into it for $129.99 a 1080 round tin of 7n6 surplus are late to the game.  You paid $30.00 more for an extra 80 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ive been craving a 74, but now with the 5.45 ammo import ban things arent looking so good. Would it be better to just get an AK in .223 instead?
View Quote

There is plenty of 5.45 commerical ammo that is still being imported and is fairly inexpensive.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was my thinking as well. If i'm going to pay that price why not pay the extra 1 cent and shoot my AR.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This was my thinking as well. If i'm going to pay that price why not pay the extra 1 cent and shoot my AR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooting the same thing all the time gets old.. to me at least.  I like having a variety, which is why I first got an AK about ten years ago.  My AR was great, but it was hard to stay interested in shooting when it was always the same thing each range trip.

I'll be keeping all my AKs, and keep on building the AR that I'm collecting parts for.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Actually, I got into it because commercial ammo in 5.45x39 caliber was $99.00 a case of 1,000.  All you guys that got into it for $129.99 a 1080 round tin of 7n6 surplus are late to the game.  You paid $30.00 more for an extra 80 rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ugh.. ok? Good for you. We'd all love to go back to 2001 when Wolf 9mm was $50/1k and 7.62x39 was $89/1k.

The question was is it worth it to get into 5.45 AKs right now. Based on current ammo prices and availability I would say no. If someone was lucky/smart enough to stock up like you did then you are sitting pretty
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Isn't it time to step up to a man's caliber?

7.62, because size DOES matter.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got a .308 AK.  Well, for a few more days anyway.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Any chance the price of 74s will fall once the 7N6 dries up?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#34]
No. and it will get worse.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Right like the size of ones wallet.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:10:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Any chance the price of 74s will fall once the 7N6 dries up?
View Quote

I think the prices won't go up any more.  Will they go down?  Probably not.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#37]
The '74 is here to stay.  It's a great rifle and a great caliber.  I don't get 5.56 AK's.  Yes, you get more commercial load options and the ability to reload cases.  If that's what you're after then I honestly feel that the AR platform has more to offer.  In 5.56, you give up part of the recipie for the AK's legendary reliability under adverse conditions: the tapered case.  I think now that the 7N6 is done, we'll see more  commercial offerings and 5.45 prices will slowly equalize to match the 7.62x39 offering.  Economics.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The '74 is here to stay.  It's a great rifle and a great caliber.  I don't get 5.56 AK's.  Yes, you get more commercial load options and the ability to reload cases.  If that's what you're after then I honestly feel that the AR platform has more to offer.  In 5.56, you give up part of the recipie for the AK's legendary reliability under adverse conditions: the tapered case.  I think now that the 7N6 is done, we'll see more  commercial offerings and 5.45 prices will slowly equalize to match the 7.62x39 offering.  Economics.
View Quote

Commercial 5.45 prices will stay higher than 7.62.

Look at imported steel case .223, why is it higher priced than 7.62, it should be cheaper, as it uses less material, but it is not.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#39]
This is a great excuse to stop using the corrosive stuff.

After so many years, it gets way old.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Look at imported steel case .223, why is it higher priced than 7.62, it should be cheaper, as it uses less material, but it is not.
View Quote

Good point, but what's driving the $0.21 rnd 7.62 prices we're seeing?  I thought it was because of the multiple COO's like Ukraine.  I think Russian is the sole source of import steel .223 - no competition from other eastern manufacturers?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Good point, but what's driving the $0.21 rnd 7.62 prices we're seeing?  I thought it was because of the multiple COO's like Ukraine.  I think Russian is the sole source of import steel .223 - no competition from other eastern manufacturers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could it be that there are more .223 rifles in America than there are 7.62x39.  Supply and demand, how does it work?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Could it be that there are more .223 rifles in America than there are 7.62x39.  Supply and demand, how does it work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, I should have clarified in that import steel comes out of only Russian and obviously the demand is ridiculous from American shooters.  7.62 and 5.45 commercial comes from multiple COO's and the demand is not nearly as high, therefore why I believe that 5.45 will eventually settle at 7.62 level prices given the increase in the popularity of the AK74.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It didn't occur to me that Russia is the sole supplier of steel cased 5.56.  Any sanctions that cut off commercial Russian ammo could definitely put a hurt on those struggling to afford shooting 5.56 platforms on a regularly basis.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It didn't occur to me that Russia is the sole supplier of steel cased 5.56.  Any sanctions that cut off commercial Russian ammo could definitely put a hurt on those struggling to afford shooting 5.56 platforms on a regularly basis.
View Quote

I'm not 100% on that but every box of import steel case .223 I've ever bought has been from Russia regardless of the brand / reseller.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm not 100% on that but every box of import steel case .223 I've ever bought has been from Russia regardless of the brand / reseller.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used to be steel cased Sellier & Bellot .223 on the market in or around 2000.  I had some at one time that came with a rifle I bought.  Here is some
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:25:50 AM EDT
[#46]
As for 5.45x39 ammo.  Wasn't Polish imported previously?  Yes it was.

Romanian?  Here you go.

Bulgarian

If the countries manufactured 7n6 they could tool up to make commercial 5.45x39 ammo if Russian commercial ammo was banned.  Are those countries NATO allies now?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
As for 5.45x39 ammo.  Wasn't Polish imported previously?  Yes it was.

Romanian?  Here you go.

Bulgarian

If the countries manufactured 7n6 they could tool up to make commercial 5.45x39 ammo if Russian commercial ammo was banned.  Are those countries NATO allies now?
View Quote

Arsenal stated they would start making commercial 7.62x39 and 5.45.39, and their 7.62x39, brass cased, is already available.  Hopefully they'll follow up soon with 5.45x39.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish we had budget priced Czech or Polish 5.56.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#49]
I still believe an ak should either be in 5.45 or 7.62x39. .223/5.56 is a round meant for the ar platform, leave it there. The straight wall case of the .223 makes it harder to extract than the other tapered cartridges. Also .223 steel case will eat your barrel up in short order and good luck replacing it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#50]
If you go check out gun-deals right now there is a multitude of sellers dumping their 7n6 all of the sudden.  Bet they are getting rid of it before BATF gets around to inventorying it.  Didn't a notice come out that said FFL holders in possession of 7n6 had to enter it in their bound books?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top