Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/21/2014 6:25:18 PM EDT
Hi all, I have a Khyber Pass style rife built on a NDS-1KP receiver with a Russian 5.5mm pin folder.  Would it make any sense at all to yank the trunnion and convert it to a Bulgarian style 4.5mm folder to match the receiver slant?  Am I crazy?  Any advantages to the 5.5mm pin over the 4.5mm pin?  This is the "no-fire when closed" commercial type 5.5 so it's not really adding any strength.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#1]
No fire when closed?
Here is the difference between the 4.5mm and 5.5mm hinges; basically the 5.5mm gives you a straighter stock angle than the 4.5mm when attached to their proper trunnions.

This should answer any questions about differences: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112778

green line is a sgl-31 with solid stock
purple line is sgl31-94 with russian poly folding stock and 5.5mm trunion
red line is bulgarian slr106 with a US made poly folding stock on 4.5mm trunion
closeup:
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  I did a lot of searching but never came across the butt stock trace photo.  That clarifies everything.  The missing link here and source of confusion was that I did not know that the 4.5mm US poly folder angle was messed up.  My rifle looks exactly like the second picture and while I'm not a fan of the 2mm or so of gap I would rather have what is functionally correct than cosmetically correct!

Bummer, because I was really thinking of picking up an SLR-104FR in 5.45.  I know there is a lot of contempt for US AK barrels but it seems like we can do a better job of cutting barrels here than making plastic stocks.  Any source on Bulgarian poly?  I think the SLR has enough 922R parts to use one.

The "no fire when closed" stock is basically the commercial spec Russian folder.  There is a slot in the hinge mechanism that prevent the rifle (shot I believe actually) from firing when folder per Russian domestic law.  If you're interested the info is HERE
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Only one that I know of; Bulgarian style poly sidefolder with rear trunnion:

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30265
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#4]
It all depends on your definition of what a khyber is. I'd say pretty much mix of whatever parts available to build a stylish firearm. But if your of the school - Leftover Soviet A-Stan debacle you probably want a 4.5mm trunnion and folder. Advantages of 5.5mm - some strength but not much else. 4.5 mm is plenty strong. The not lining up with the receiver would bother me at first but once finished with some nice laminate HGs and PG I'd never notice it again
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Edit Nvm got it lol
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, so now that things have been clarified.  Here's the way I see it:

Loads more options with the 5.5mm trunnion if you convert a receiver or are ok the 2mm overhang.  The 5.5mm can correctly mount 5.5mm triangles, Russian 100 series poly, KVAR US 100 series poly with the conversion pin, SVDS stock with cheek riser for optics, STKBR stock, and the new Zenitco aluminum folder.

With the 4.5mm pin, only Russian/Bulgy/repro 4.5mm triangles and the Zentico aluminum folder.  The KVAR 100 series poly if you're ok with the improper mounting angle.

Thanks guys!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top