Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2014 6:22:21 AM EDT
I have two different types of AK recoil spring guides in the AK's that I have.    Is there any benefit that one has over the other?  (I can't really think of any)

They are the two piece articulate wire type, like this:

And the two piece "rod" type like this:

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#1]
not that I know of.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:07:10 AM EDT
[#2]
The AKM type is less expensive to manufacture.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:08:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The top one is probably cheaper and easier to manufacture; I do like the "piston" version better, don't have to fight the wires to keep them aligned when putting it back together.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe one is patterned after the RPK, and the other the AKM. I dont know of any real benefit, but I tried to use a standard Saiga RSA in my Bulgy milled SAM7, and you cant get the dust cover back on without modding the cover. The RSA's are slightly different in the rear area, as are the dust covers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The rod type is less durable, and more prone to failure. There is a reason they switched besides cost. And while I have had a wire type one break, I didn't even know it until I came home and field stripped my rifle! It will work as a non-captured spring guide even if it fails.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:25:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The rod type is less durable, and more prone to failure. There is a reason they switched besides cost. And while I have had a wire type one break, I didn't even know it until I came home and field stripped my rifle! It will work as a non-captured spring guide even if it fails.
View Quote

What?  A part broke on your AK?  That can't be because I read on ARF.com that spare parts are uesless becuse AKs don't break or wear out. /sarcasm
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah but it still worked :)
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#8]
AKM will be lighter.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinking about switching my veprs over for parts commonality.

I was going to put a tech sights top cover one one I had laying around, but forgot about the difference in the guide rod.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe one is patterned after the RPK,.
View Quote

No, the "rod" type is for the AK-47 (Milled Receiver).

OP the AKM recoil spring assembly (wire type) is easier to find if you ever need to replace it. The main reason they changed it was because it was easier and cheaper to manufacture compared to the AK-47 (rod type). Some people claim the AKM type is more durable but the main issue was cost and time.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top