Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/18/2014 6:59:22 PM EDT
Need some more help, if you guys have the time. Pictures are definitely a huge help. I currently have a NDS fixed stock receiver with a complete Bulgy 47 parts kit. It currently has a black poly set with slant brake on it. I'm contemplating changing it to wood. What would be needed for a traditional style wood set?

Submit photos or email me information directly.

Thanks guys. Happy Easter

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You should actually post pics of what you have first.
NDS receivers are stamped AKM pattern and Bulgarian AK-47 parts kits are typically from original Type 3 rifles with milled receivers. I'm thinking you will have issue there.
With regard to furniture sets.....there are AKM furniture sets with stocks that are cut for single tang AKM receivers, and AK-47 stock sets with stocks that are cut for double tang milled receivers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should actually post pics of what you have first.
NDS receivers are stamped AKM pattern and Bulgarian AK-47 parts kits are typically from original Type 3 rifles with milled receivers. I'm thinking you will have issue there.
With regard to furniture sets.....there are AKM furniture sets with stocks that are cut for single tang AKM receivers, and AK-47 stock sets with stocks that are cut for double tang milled receivers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:17:39 AM EDT
[#3]
What type would you want? They are all a little different.

Romanian
Russian
Egyptian
Hungarian
Polish
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:59:16 AM EDT
[#4]
You could go with something along these lines...

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Romanian
Russian
Egyptian
Hungarian
Polish
View Quote

Yeah....your options for a "stamped" receiver stock set are almost endless. You can also buy an unfinished set from Ironwood Designs and finish it yourself. They may even offer finished sets these days.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Krebs has some unfinished ironwood stocks sets. Should be everything needed without having the usual wait time from Ironwood.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah....your options for a "stamped" receiver stock set are almost endless. You can also buy an unfinished set from Ironwood Designs and finish it yourself. They may even offer finished sets these days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Romanian
Russian
Egyptian
Hungarian
Polish

Ironwood makes great AK furniture.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Yes Yes Yes! Tell me more about your furniture. I see this in my future. But a question that just popped into my head is why are there bakelite mags for 47's? Who used or currently uses a 47 with wood furniture and bakelite mags?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
A few different countries have produced bakelite mags (Russia, Bulgaria, East Germany, etc.) but the most common bakelites are Russian Izhmash and Tula 47 and 74 mags.
Since your 47 had the 45 deg gas block of the Russian AKM, you should go with the Russian laminate stock set look, and finish it off with a bakelite mag. Prices on the bakelites have come down quite a bit over the past few years.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes Yes Yes! Tell me more about your furniture. I see this in my future.?
View Quote

That rifle was built by a friend from a 1970 Tula kit.  

I liked the color so much that I emulated it on a set of Ironwood laminate furniture for my SGL-21.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top