Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 7:57:13 PM EDT
So it turns out that my SRVV Jet Brake is seriously impeding my accuracy... I had it attached to my SAR-1 via a Krebs 24mm adapter on a thread job that I'd done myself. Shots were landin way low and left with the brake on on 25 yards, with the brake removed my accuracy is spot on. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Secondly: if this can't be fixed, is it worth the coin to spring for a Venom Antidote?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Are your groups bigger, or is it just a shift in the point of impact?  A shift in point of impact is normal for different muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are your groups bigger, or is it just a shift in the point of impact?  A shift in point of impact is normal for different muzzle devices.
View Quote

It was a shift, but the shift is extreme. With the front sight post adjusted all o the way down and left, I was still striking low and left.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting you brought this up. I took my SAM7 out the other day to sight it in. I noticed I kept shooting to the right. I had to adjust the windage a lot to the right. To the point where its very noticeable that's it's pushed to the right. I'm using the nightbrake. I'm interested to hear if muzzle brakes indeed effect accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Interesting you brought this up. I took my SAM7 out the other day to sight it in. I noticed I kept shooting to the right. I had to adjust the windage a lot to the right. To the point where its very noticeable that's it's pushed to the right. I'm using the nightbrake. I'm interested to hear if muzzle brakes indeed effect accuracy.
View Quote

My understanding is that they do to a certain extent, but this is far more than I would have ever expected.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:07:08 AM EDT
[#5]
POI will almost always change when different devices are used. You either need to adjust to the device or use a different device.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:30:50 AM EDT
[#6]
It's possible that your threads may be a bit non-concentric and they're essentially pointing the brake off-center a bit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#7]
So is using the stock arsenal brake better for accuracy than using the nightbrake? I do notice that with the nightbrake there is slight play and its not perfectly seated all the way down.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So is using the stock arsenal brake better for accuracy than using the nightbrake? I do notice that with the nightbrake there is slight play and its not perfectly seated all the way down.
View Quote

It's not making the rifle less accurate, it's just shifting the point if impact. Group sizes should stay the same. You just adjust the sights to compensate for the new point of impact.

OPs rifle may have a bigger issue, like bullets striking the muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#9]
When switching from a 14mm US 74 style to a 24mm 74 brake groups opened up but POI did not change.

Sometimes swapping ammo can change POI too. When I fired wolf through a rifle that was zero'ed with really awesome and accurate Cheetah ammo the rounds hit 5 inches to the right at 100 yds. Higher or lower I could understand, but off horizonally?

Bottom line, unless you actually try out a combination, you can never really know what will happen.

That is why we have "Equipment Exchange"
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:17:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The nightbrake did on my draco but not my saiga.

Each rifle is different
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Each rifle is different
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Each rifle is different

What exactly did the nightbrake effect for you and how bad? I guess I'll take my rifle out again and use the standard brake and see if I notice a difference. My groups were really tight but always hitting right.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What exactly did the nightbrake effect for you and how bad? I guess I'll take my rifle out again and use the standard brake and see if I notice a difference. My groups were really right but always hitting right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Each rifle is different

What exactly did the nightbrake effect for you and how bad? I guess I'll take my rifle out again and use the standard brake and see if I notice a difference. My groups were really right but always hitting right.

the night brake moved POI 2" left.

a quick adjustment on the front sight and all was good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Sosa you can see from the picture below: I reexamined my brake to find out that I am in fact getting bullet strikes on the brake itself... This seems to be a relatively new thing as I've been using the brake for a while and the accuracy has only recently been an issue. The only thing that I've done differently is that I've been screwing it on closer to the front sight post. Could it perhaps be that because I am using an adaptor instead of an actual 24mm FSB that the brake (which is a bit heavy) is sort of "hanging" off the muzzle at a downward angle? Is the brake ruined?

" />
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]
you can't ruin a brake unless you completely destroyed it into little pieces, it will be fine, no serious mechanical parts it just catches gas to pull the rifle forward
somebody a number of years ago on this ARFCOM actually destroyed theirs when they threaded their own barrel and the first round out caught the brake and took it downrange

My guess is that its the adapter mount
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
you can't ruin a brake unless you completely destroyed it into little pieces, it will be fine, no serious mechanical parts it just catches gas to pull the rifle forward
somebody a number of years ago on this ARFCOM actually destroyed theirs when they threaded their own barrel and the first round out caught the brake and took it downrange

My guess is that its the adapter mount
View Quote

I really hope it's the adapter. I'd hate to think that as careful as I was when I threaded it that I still effed it up.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top