BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/7/2014 3:31:33 PM EDT

http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/romanian-ak-7-62-x-39semiautowasr-10

http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/m90b1akrifleblackpoly76239

http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/papriflews

Those are the 3 I'm looking at, not from this particular vendor/price.

Narrowed my choices down to these 3. Won't be this partic vendor/price. It's gonna be used to punch paper and maybe HD, but mostly at the range.

Thoughts? Looking for reliability/durability/bang for buck
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Durability? Reliability?

...It's an AK. It's going to outlive YOU, your children, and it'll probably still be ticking when your grandchildren kick the bucket.

WASR's are in the "Firsthand inspection" category. If you get one of those, look it over for canted barrel/sights/trunnion/gas block/stock first off. Then for hinkey rivets or other things that just don't look right. There's a video on YT where Jim Fuller talks about all the things you should look for when buying an AK. I'd recommend giving it a look-see. If you see problems with the gun, send it back. They aren't worth the cost of fixing it yourself.

N/O-PAP's and M70B's are pretty much good to go. Again, when it reaches your hands, check it over for anything that might present problems later on. If it looks good, it probably is good.

Another option if you're feeling patriotic, or if you have a preference for milled AK's, would be Century's C39. It's in the $600-650 range and has had pretty good reviews so far. Worth a look.

For all AK's, look it over for obvious issues, then hit the range and give it a shakedown run. If you want to be absolutely sure, get a NO-GO gauge and check the headspace on any new AK before shooting. There are plenty of more experienced individuals on the board with more to offer, but there's my two cents.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I know they're durable but the polymer one has a US made receiver and barrel so I was unsure of quality .

My limit is around $550 shipped. Want a hi cap AK for plinking/range toy,  leaning toward an n-pap/m70b1

Anyone else feel free to chime in
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns/russian-saiga-ak-variant

Finslayer sold me on going this route for my next AK and I just ordered it today.  Saiga conversion. A little bit more money than what you are looking at, but I went the route you are looking as well.  I have a WASR that I have done a lot to, and a Century arms Yugo underfolder.  I like them fine for what they are, but wish I would have went with a Saiga conversion from the start.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah those are nice but a bit out of my price range, especially for just a range toy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a nice package for about $520 shipped.

http://www.firearmsforsale.com/combo/WASR/
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Finslayer sold me on going this route for my next AK and I just ordered it today.  Saiga conversion. A little bit more money than what you are looking at, but I went the route you are looking as well.  I have a WASR that I have done a lot to, and a Century arms Yugo underfolder.  I like them fine for what they are, but wish I would have went with a Saiga conversion from the start.
View Quote

This is the rifle you want.

Accountant
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Accountant
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Accountant

I'd love too but $600+ is too rich for my blood for a range toy
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:08:19 AM EDT
[#8]
With those choices, I'd go N-PAP. I have an O-PAP and its a solid build.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#9]
The newer WASARS are much better quality then the older ones and they come with chrome barrel lining that is a big plus. I had a N-PAP but sold it for many reasons. It's heavy and bulky, the butt stock sucks and the furniture is not interchangeable with other AK's. and the barrel isn't lined. If your going to hunt pigs a light rifle is a must here in FL..

Myself I've switched over to Saigas and am happy that I did.

Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Just bought my 1st AK after wanting one and mainly focusing on AR's. Picked up a NPAP for a price a couldn't pass. So far has done everything I have asked from it, true a bit heavy compared to others, but for a range toy as you said it shouldn't bother you. A lot of manufactures have picked up on the Yugo craze, and now make furniture for them if your not happy with the ergos. For just a range toy like you wanted... think it would fit the bill
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just bought my 1st AK after wanting one and mainly focusing on AR's. Picked up a NPAP for a price a couldn't pass. So far has done everything I have asked from it, true a bit heavy compared to others, but for a range toy as you said it shouldn't bother you. A lot of manufactures have picked up on the Yugo craze, and now make furniture for them if your not happy with the ergos. For just a range toy like you wanted... think it would fit the bill
View Quote

That's what I'm leaning towards...for all the reasons you said. Anyone know who makes the polymer  one I posted in my OP? It says American made barrel and receiver?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Century Arms International or some one they subcontracted to build it for them.  Get one of the PAPs.  They have CHF factory barrels.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Century Arms International or some one they subcontracted to build it for them.  Get one of the PAPs.  They have CHF factory barrels.
View Quote

Buds has one that looks just like it and same thing, very little info past it being CAI imported
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Nobody?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I have both the NPAP and the Romanian WASR-10.  A couple of points for consideration.  

The NPAP is a much nicer LOOKING rifle with a nice blue finish and a nice stock.  It has one problem  -- with the wood stock it is very difficult to get a good cheek weld and a workable sight picture.  The stock has too high of a comb to make using the iron sights natural.  If you are planning on putting a scope on the NPAP then the stock would work nicely.  

The WASR-10 is not nearly as nice looking But it works just like an AK should and the stock is perfect for using the iron sights.  On my two examples, the trigger on the WASR-10 is noticeably better than the NPAP, but I would venture that this is not necessarily true of all NPAPs or WASR-10's.  The NPAP did slap my check and after several hundred rounds I had a nice bruise/abrasion on my face. (Someone will likely tell me that I was holding it wrong, but like I said, getting a good sight picture with the wood stock is not natural).   I replaced the slant brake with a Krebs Custom four prong flash suppressor and the cheek slap is gone -- and the rifle recoil is more straight back (not to mention the flash is gone with the Krebs flash suppressor!) and my face is happier. I have had no check slap issues with the WASR-10 even with the slant brake although I plan on putting a Krebs flash suppressor on that rifle too to reduce the flash in low light situations. Since both rifles are semi-auto I see no need for the slant brake and the straight back recoil without them allows faster target reacquisition.  

The NPAP does not have a chrome lined barrel whereas the WASR-10 barrel is chrome lined.  Is this a big deal -- I do not think so unless you will be shooting corrosive ammo and not giving the rifle a minimum amount of maintenance.  Both the NPAP and the WASR-10 barrels on the Century imports (like the ones at Buds and many other places) are new factory hammer forged barrels and will likely outlast you and your kids.  

If I could only keep one -- I would keep the WASR-10 ... but I am not planning on selling the NPAP either...  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have both the NPAP and the Romanian WASR-10.  A couple of points for consideration.  

The NPAP is a much nicer LOOKING rifle with a nice blue finish and a nice stock.  It has one problem  -- with the wood stock it is very difficult to get a good cheek weld and a workable sight picture.  The stock has too high of a comb to make using the iron sights natural.  If you are planning on putting a scope on the NPAP then the stock would work nicely.  

The WASR-10 is not nearly as nice looking But it works just like an AK should and the stock is perfect for using the iron sights.  On my two examples, the trigger on the WASR-10 is noticeably better than the NPAP, but I would venture that this is not necessarily true of all NPAPs or WASR-10's.  The NPAP did slap my check and after several hundred rounds I had a nice bruise/abrasion on my face. (Someone will likely tell me that I was holding it wrong, but like I said, getting a good sight picture with the wood stock is not natural).   I replaced the slant brake with a Krebs Custom four prong flash suppressor and the cheek slap is gone -- and the rifle recoil is more straight back (not to mention the flash is gone with the Krebs flash suppressor!) and my face is happier. I have had no check slap issues with the WASR-10 even with the slant brake although I plan on putting a Krebs flash suppressor on that rifle too to reduce the flash in low light situations. Since both rifles are semi-auto I see no need for the slant brake and the straight back recoil without them allows faster target reacquisition.  

The NPAP does not have a chrome lined barrel whereas the WASR-10 barrel is chrome lined.  Is this a big deal -- I do not think so unless you will be shooting corrosive ammo and not giving the rifle a minimum amount of maintenance.  Both the NPAP and the WASR-10 barrels on the Century imports (like the ones at Buds and many other places) are new factory hammer forged barrels and will likely outlast you and your kids.  

If I could only keep one -- I would keep the WASR-10 ... but I am not planning on selling the NPAP either...  

Hope this helps.
View Quote

It does actually a great write up in your opinion. Any one else? Want to hear as much opinions as I can from people who've actually handled both like you
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Accountant

Keep an eye out, they can be had at $550 or cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#18]
You really cant go wrong with either.  I was really impressed with my Opap.  So much so that I will probably get an Npap.  I have Romanian rifles too.  My Sar 1 is very accurate, so is my Opap.  The Romanian is an AKM  and the Paps are M70 Aks.  The finish and quality go to the the Paps.  The metal finish is very high quality.  However, the Romanian rifles take more standardised parts.  My thought is that the Paps are the better buy with more potential for an increase in value.  Like I said, they are both AK type rifles and it really comes down to, do you want the Romanian functionality and standard AKM, or a higher build quality M70 Pap.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:34:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Ill say go Romanian. I'm a fan of chrome and standard parts. So long as the factory didn't mess things up,
You will have a great rifle. I
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Accountant

I haven't seen a converted saiga for under $600 shipped in 2 years, where are you looking? Almost positive I'm going with the Npap
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone have any experience with atlantic firearms or classic? If so how was the experience?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with atlantic firearms or classic? If so how was the experience?
View Quote

I have a Yugo underfolder from Century, and a Saiga Conversion from Classic Firearms. I think I got each of them about a week from the day I ordered them. I'd use them again.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Couple orders from Classic. A tad slow was my experience, but no issues at all...
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#24]
At that price point your best bet is an N-PAP.  Serbian AK's, while not chromed, do have hammer forged barrels.  The wood looks nice and the finish is a lot nicer than the Romanians.  Nothing wrong with a Romanian AK though.  If you go that route Atlantic has WASR's that they have pre-inspected.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:27:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
At that price point your best bet is an N-PAP.  Serbian AK's, while not chromed, do have hammer forged barrels.  The wood looks nice and the finish is a lot nicer than the Romanians.  Nothing wrong with a Romanian AK though.  If you go that route Atlantic has WASR's that they have pre-inspected.
View Quote

I see that, I would hope every distributor QA's everything they ship but then again customer service is a dead art these days  

But yeah it's go. A be an N pap, just trying to decide where to order. Atlantic has a better BbB rating but not by much. Atlantic doesn't describe their Npap has the updated gen II though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I see that, I would hope every distributor QA's everything they ship but then again customer service is a dead art these days  

But yeah it's go. A be an N pap, just trying to decide where to order. Atlantic has a better BbB rating but not by much. Atlantic doesn't describe their Npap has the updated gen II though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the "Gen I" NPAPs had dust cover rails. The fixed stock listed at Atlantic has the side rail. The under folders don't have side rails but I'm pretty sure they are a newer batch, as they have been in and out if stock since last year.

I just ordered an under folder from them. I'll post up a review when I get it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:47:30 AM EDT
[#27]
If you go the WASR route J&G has them with free mags. You can choose from 1 75rd drum mag, 6 Korean steel mags (I would stay away from these), or 7 Tapco mags. The will not be QC inspected though. If you go the Atlantic they are GTG, I've had good luck with J&G but some guys have complained.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you go the WASR route J&G has them with free mags. You can choose from 1 75rd drum mag, 6 Korean steel mags (I would stay away from these), or 7 Tapco mags. The will not be QC inspected though. If you go the Atlantic they are GTG, I've had good luck with J&G but some guys have complained.
View Quote

Good to know, gonna go w an Npap just deciding where to buy. Cheapest I've found from reputable dealers are $559/558 shipped from atlantic and classic. I understand it takes time especially with a transfer involved but just want a quality gen 2 npap and not have to wait 2-3 weeks (spoiled I know)
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Went with classic, I'll let everyone know how it goes for those interested.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#30]
For those interested ordered Tuesday AM from classic and arrived and picked up from my FFL Thursday afternoon. Amazing speed/delivery and  Npap just as described. Idk why everyone was wining there so heavy, maybe just because I'm a big guy?  Fit/finish/quality is beautiful, built like a tank, straight sights and no mag wobble. Highly recommend them. Will post follow up after she dumps some steel cased lead down range.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I've about given up trying to find an O-PAP. I may just have to go with the N-PAP too. It does have some decent looking wood.

Any particular reason you went with the one at Classic over Atlantic? I see that Atlantic does a QC check on their rifles.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've about given up trying to find an O-PAP. I may just have to go with the N-PAP too. It does have some decent looking wood.

Any particular reason you went with the one at Classic over Atlantic? I see that Atlantic does a QC check on their rifles.
View Quote

Spoke to classic and they also QC all their rifles (just don't make a point to show it on their website), and if they didn't and I noticed a problem at transfer I'd just send it back and exchange or get a refund. I looked for Opops for a few weeks but didn't find any in my range, and for what I'm using it  for it'll more than meet my needs.

I had some communications with an employee at atlantic and frankly wasn't too keen on his tone/attitude via email as well as some information about the specific generation of npap they were selling. Not bashing them because their reputation speaks for itself,  but fortunately it's a free market and I took my $$ elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Good choice!  The N-Paps are a best buy right now.  It is difficult to beat the Serbian factory quality which is on par with AK's twice the cost.  The quality may even be better than rifles twice the cost.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Spoke to classic and they also QC all their rifles (just don't make a point to show it on their website), and if they didn't and I noticed a problem at transfer I'd just send it back and exchange or get a refund. I looked for Opops for a few weeks but didn't find any in my range, and for what I'm using it  for it'll more than meet my needs.

I had some communications with an employee at atlantic and frankly wasn't too keen on his tone/attitude via email as well as some information about the specific generation of npap they were selling. Not bashing them because their reputation speaks for itself,  but fortunately it's a free market and I took my $$ elsewhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good enough for me. Looks like I'll be ordering from Classic unless another dealer has too good of deal to pass up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's good enough for me. Looks like I'll be ordering from Classic unless another dealer has too good of deal to pass up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong atlantic has a great reputation and I'm not here to besmerge it, but Im just giving you my experience. Good luck man, their ship time and product quality (at least in appearance) was TOP notch. I've never gotten an internet ordered gun that fast ever, especially in today's market.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top