Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My sgl21 front sight was the same welded in place by paint. Snapped the magna matic tool on the first turn. I ended up using a screw driver with a thick shank cutting off the top and cutting a groove in it.clamped a set of vice grips to it for extra leverage and finally got it to break free. Still use that tool to adjust all my ak sights. The magna matic tool is awesome to adjust windage but the elevation adjustment ears are just like all others cheap and flimsy.
View Quote

Man these stories are making me nervous. Can't wait to get my magna tool on Saturday and try it. I've left the front sight soaked in mpro7 oil for a week now. Hopefully that helps a tad.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Now that I've thought about it, I don't see any need to wait for the Magna Matic Tool.  I can make a stuck site breaker (or destroyer) today that will be far stronger than the tool, and save the unbroken tool for routine adjustments.  The screwdriver idea is great.  I think I'll start by grinding a slot through the end of a 1/4" or 5/16" stainless steel bolt, so I can turn it with a wrench.  If that doesn't work I'll drill and dremel an enclosed slot in a larger bolt.  Today's retiree garage project is decided!
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:59:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Now that I've thought about it, I don't see any need to wait for the Magna Matic Tool.  I can make a stuck site breaker (or destroyer) today that will be far stronger than the tool, and save the unbroken tool for routine adjustments.  The screwdriver idea is great.  I think I'll start by grinding a slot through the end of a 1/4" or 5/16" stainless steel bolt, so I can turn it with a wrench.  If that doesn't work I'll drill and dremel an enclosed slot in a larger bolt.  Today's retiree garage project is decided!
View Quote

Let us know how it goes please!!! I will report back today once I get my magna tool in the mail. I've already shot my rifle and would love to zero it in. It was shooting a tad to the right and a little low but I have to say, the groupings were great. Most accurate AK I've ever shot.

I think I may heat up the front sight with a lighter today before I try to adjust it, maybe it'll loosen the paint a bit and make it easier.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Success!  At first I just cut a slot into a 5/16" stainless steel bolt deep enough to completely cover the site.  I put so much force on it that I was afraid the shoulders would spread apart, so I decided to make it stronger.  Then the mailman brought me my Magna-Matic tool.  It wouldn't turn the site, either, without taking a chance of breaking it.  It may have worked if I had applied more force, but I wasn't willing to take a chance since I was working on something stronger.

I drilled a hole in the center of the bolt that the top of the front site post could fit into, and then I cut the shoulders down until they just covered the flat sides of the post.  It worked perfectly.  I was careful throughout the entire process to keep putting water on the bolt so it wouldn't get too hot and lose its temper.  Now that my trigger pin retaining plate is here, the rest of my day will be spent polishing the fire control group.
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm292/GlennS1956/AKSiteTool001.jpg
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow awesome work. I can't wait to get home and try my magna tool out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Good job! Might try to make one of those also.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Glenn from what you've seen, what do you think caused the front sight to be that tight? Do you think it was the paint?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]
OK guys, I have to report SUCCESS! I have to say I was pretty scared, just when I thought the magna tool was about to snap, the front sight made a loud noise and broke free. That is one strong tool!!! From my observations I think it was the paint. I think the fact that I left it soaked in oil for a week really helped because when I removed the front sight it was soaked in oil but it also had a thick film of paint on it. I washed it off in hot water, dried it up and lubed it. I cleaned out the front sight post really good with mpro7 cleaner, let it dry and slightly lubed it with a q-tip. Like I said, it was so tight that I thought the tool was about to snap!...

For people with this problem I would suggest soaking the entire front post in oil like I did and let it sit for a while.

edit: thanks for all who recommended the Magna tool. It saved my ass.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Glenn from what you've seen, what do you think caused the front sight to be that tight? Do you think it was the paint?
View Quote

I have no idea what the cause was.  I didn't take my FSP out, I just worked it back and forth to make sure it was loose.  I have a hard time imagining that paint could make it stick like that, but I don't know what else it could have been.  I don't think Arsenal would put substandard parts in their guns.  

I spent the rest of my day polishing the areas people here suggested (hammer, trigger, disconnector, bolt carrier bottom and bolt bottom).  I'm glad I didn't order a replacement trigger, because I really like the way the Arsenal trigger polished up.  It's a lot smoother and lighter.  And the bolt would stick on the hammer every time I would ease the charging handle forward.  Now I can't make it hang up, no matter how hard I try.  I didn't remove any metal or change any angles.  I just polished the suggested surfaces to a mirror finish.  Today has been a very good AK day.  Life is good.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Just tried to turn the front sight post on my 104UR for the hell of it.  Definitely broke my cheap UTG sight tool pretty much instantly  But my magnamatic didn't have any trouble with it
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Guess I was the unlucky one with the Magna tool breaking.

Props to magna though they sent me another part to replace the broken one. I didn't even have to send it back, just emailed them some pics of the broken sight.

It came pretty fast.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:49:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you have the ability to modify a bolt like I did?  If you'd like to try I can post a few details I learned along the way when making it.  I screwed up the first one I tried to make, mainly because it's hard to keep everything straight and square.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Probably not but I am considering trying it anyway. I really don't have the proper tools though.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I cleaned out the front sight post really good with mpro7 cleaner.... I would suggest soaking the entire front post in oil like I did and let it sit for a while.
View Quote

Soaking in oil is a good tip but I lost the finish on an Arsenal AK muzzle brake using Mpro-7.  Use caution with that stuff.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Soaking in oil is a good tip but I lost the finish on an Arsenal AK muzzle brake using Mpro-7.  Use caution with that stuff.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2a5ltsp.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I cleaned out the front sight post really good with mpro7 cleaner.... I would suggest soaking the entire front post in oil like I did and let it sit for a while.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2a5ltsp.jpg

You are right. I didn't notice it at first when I cleaned my FSP because it has a thick layer of paint on it. But the other day when I cleaned the rest of my AK with it, I noticed it removed some of the paint from the top of the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Just ordered my first Arsenal, really nervous about the front sight. Hopefully it's ok.

It really is a shame that a $1000 rifle has issues like this, the lack of durability of the finish is a real disappointment too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just ordered my first Arsenal, really nervous about the front sight. Hopefully it's ok.

It really is a shame that a $1000 rifle has issues like this, the lack of durability of the finish is a real disappointment too.
View Quote

Don't worry.  Out of the thousands sold only a few have had a stuck sight pin.  And the finish is very durable if you treat it right.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Don't worry.  Out of the thousands sold only a few have had a stuck sight pin.  And the finish is very durable if you treat it right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The finish isn't great but it isn't as bad as some of the people here make it seem. I took it to the range the other day and it was banged around quite a bit. Didn't really do anything to the finish.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it is a little more common than you think.  I had the chance to inspect a handful of them , five or six. Most seemed tight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I had one that you could not drift the sight....it was impossible.  Just bought an adjustable rear.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#22]
With metal, everything is possible.  It is possible to either move it, or destroy it.  If you ain't destroyed it, you ain't done moving it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top