Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2014 12:32:17 PM EDT
Got a new AK and the front sight pin won't move at all. Already broke one sight tool, and bent the ears on another. Been using penetrating oil and WD40.

Any ideas ?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Rifle is a Bulgarian SLR107FR not that I think that really makes a difference in this case...
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#2]
buy a better tool,

and I keep saying this but so far no one has used this suggestion, go shoot 3 mags out of it as fast as your range allows then use a tool.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#3]
AKFST
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Whack it with a hammer.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Whack it with a hammer.
View Quote

Not sure if you are serious or kidding, but I would avoid this route.  You can also use a vice - block off the sight and push the adjusting block/cylinder.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
buy a better tool,

and I keep saying this but so far no one has used this suggestion, go shoot 3 mags out of it as fast as your range allows then use a tool.
View Quote

I have the heavy duty polytech tool that costs $40 and it is close to breaking. It isn't broke yet, but it is damaged.

I did shoot a few mags fast and oiled it beforehand. It is stuck pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not sure if you are serious or kidding, but I would avoid this route.  You can also use a vice - block off the sight and push the adjusting block/cylinder.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whack it with a hammer.

It is not the windage drum that is stuck. It might be, I don't know but I didn't try as I didn't need to adjust it as it was dead on side to side windage.

It is the actual sight pin that won't move up and down. It shoots high.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It is not the windage drum that is stuck. It might be, I don't know but I didn't try as I didn't need to adjust it as it was dead on side to side windage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whack it with a hammer.

Oh hell, well don't whack it with a hammer then.

Lots of penetrating oil....might try throwing it in the freezer for an hour or so.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whack it with a hammer.

I'm a Texan, i'm always serious about whacking uncooperative shit with a hammer. Saves a lot of valuable time that could be better spent drinkin'.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lots of penetrating oil....might try throwing it in the freezer for an hour or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whack it with a hammer.

Windage knob adjusts fine. I hated to mess with it as it was dead on, but I wanted to know and I was hoping maybe bringing it back and forth would free up the sight pin.

I will just use more penetrating oil.

I just hope it doesn't break my good tool. If it does I won't have anything else to adjust it with.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like the finish has slightly welded the post in place. Try heat, and wiggle it both ways to see if you can free it up. I never have any trouble with the sight tool that is integrated in the cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#12]
How high are you shooting?  Did you check the rear sight?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How high are you shooting?  Did you check the rear sight?
View Quote

rear sight is on the first setting, 0 i think it is marked.

4-6 inches at 50 yards maybe. don't recall exactly. it was obviously high and needed adjusting.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sounds like the finish has slightly welded the post in place. Try heat, and wiggle it both ways to see if you can free it up. I never have any trouble with the sight tool that is integrated in the cleaning kit.
View Quote

that is a good idea, i will try heat.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I took my SAM7 to the range today and had the same problem. I could not move the elevation at all. Windage moved but couldn't budge the elevation. I broke my sight tool also trying to move it. I sprayed it with balistol and going to let it sit in the safe for a few days.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#16]
The sight post (pin) on my 104 is like yours. I have the heavy duty old Norinco tool also, I've had it for 20 years and never a problem. That 104 bent the heck out of it, I was shocked. I've adjusted many a sight over the years and was shocked when it bent
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I think some of the guys on here are right. It looks like they paint over it which welds it tight. Hope the ballistol losens it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#18]
It is tight.

I used a small torch to heat it up, and many doses of penetrating oil.

All I have done is break four tools, one cheapo, and three of the ones from the buttstock kits,  and bend the heck of the heavy polytech tool.

I'm getting kind of mad. This is bullshit for what should be a very nice AK.

I wish I hadn't bought the damn thing now.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The sight post (pin) on my 104 is like yours. I have the heavy duty old Norinco tool also, I've had it for 20 years and never a problem. That 104 bent the heck out of it, I was shocked. I've adjusted many a sight over the years and was shocked when it bent
View Quote

I stopped before I broke it. I know it would have snapped if I would have kept going. It is bent now but still works on an AK with normal sight.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I think some of the guys on here are right. It looks like they paint over it which welds it tight. Hope the ballistol losens it.
View Quote

Why the hell would they do that ? You'd think they would get complaints after awhile. Does no one zero their rifles ?
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why the hell would they do that ? You'd think they would get complaints after awhile. Does no one zero their rifles ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dunno but I looked at mine and its the paint for sure. Its caked on there. I'm a little upset but not gonna lose sleep over it. I'll use some more oil on it and if that doesn't work I'll use some needlenose pliars and gently start losening it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Dunno but I looked at mine and its the paint for sure. Its caked on there. I'm a little upset but not gonna lose sleep over it. I'll use some more oil on it and if that doesn't work I'll use some needlenose pliars and gently start losening it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried pliers, no luck yet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#23]
OP - I have seen several posts about 107FR front sight post being stuck.

Actually mine had the same problem.

Mine was not painted over stuck or some oil will loosen up stuck.
I tried pliers and ended up marring the metals without turning the sight post any.  Just not the right tool to use...

Invest $30ish on a Magna-matic AK sight tool (made in USA).  It is over-built & very well made.
It moved my 107FR's sight post and the sight post was REALLY tight fit.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:02:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Mine is stuck, too, on my 107FR. I need elevation adjustment, not windage, and I've already broken my front sight tool. Haven't been able to move it yet, so I'm still hitting about 8" low at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 5:47:52 AM EDT
[#25]
KVAR makes an AK elevation sight tool that fits over that top of the front sight post - It gives it enough leverage to break free any frozen sight.  I had a SLR101S that was stuck like your - broke multiple regular sight tools - The KVAR tool took (part number AA1401) care of it in about 5 seconds.

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the tips, now not sure which I should get the kvar or magna matic
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I still say go shoot it and get it hot. Either tool will work.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:40:08 AM EDT
[#28]
This was my same experience with the 107FR years ago. Went through countless tools, even tried heating it, but no luck. Ended up sending it back to Arsenal to fix it because the FSB was horribly canted anyway. Got it back and it was canted the opposite way and post was still frozen. Got rid of it. Expected more out of a $1K AK.

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This was my same experience with the 107FR years ago. Went through countless tools, even tried heating it, but no luck. Ended up sending it back to Arsenal to fix it because the FSB was horribly canted anyway. Got it back and it was canted the opposite way and post was still frozen. Got rid of it. Expected more out of a $1K AK.  
View Quote

Did you try either of the heavy duty tools mentioned in the thread, the kvar one or the magna ?
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thankfully mine isn't canted and looks perfectly centered, but that pin is certainly a problem.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Somewhere someone made a sight post adjustment tool from a GM brake caliper line end bolt, since the bolt was hollow down the center, it bolted the flex brake line to the caliper and brake fluid traveled thru it. Placing the homemade tool into a battery powered micro impact driver broke loose even the stubborn sight pins. The shock from the mini impact driver (looks like a cordless drill) just eventually broke it loose. Either the pin will break loose or just plain break. You might want to google  search for it ...IIRC it was either here, AK files, or The AK forum.  Hope this helps
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I tried pliers and ended up marring the metals without turning the sight post any.  Just not the right tool to use...

Invest $30ish on a Magna-matic AK sight tool (made in USA).  It is over-built & very well made.

View Quote

Ordered this tool. Thanks for the tip. I hope it works.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I never had problems with my Tapco sight tool, but upgraded and got a MagnaMatic.  Night and day difference in quality and strength.  They even have a larger "Shop" sized tool that's even bigger than that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#35]
^ This please.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Please update this thread after you try your new tool.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ordered this tool. Thanks for the tip. I hope it works.
Please update this thread after you try your new tool.  

will do. i am hoping it comes soon so I can try it on my days off next week.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Update.

Got the magna matic "unbreakable" tool today.

That sight broke it within 15 seconds. That is one tight sight.

It has been lubed with penetrating oil throughout the last week, and that sight didn't even budge it just cracked the tool yet again.

It still works on normal rifles, but there is a deep crack all the way through and its lost most its strength. Another wrench on this rifle, and it would break apart.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Update.

Got the magna matic "unbreakable" tool today.

That sight broke it within 15 seconds. That is one tight sight.

It has been lubed with penetrating oil throughout the last week, and that sight didn't even budge it just cracked the tool yet again.

It still works on normal rifles, but there is a deep crack all the way through and its lost most its strength. Another wrench on this rifle, and it would break apart.

View Quote
Holy crap man sorry to hear that. I also ordered the magna because my sight is stuck also. Haven't recieved it yet though. I think magnamatic has a warranty right? They should replace it if they claim its unbreakable
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Photos please!
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Hey, if the rear sight is on the letter setting, its the battlesight setting which is the same as '3'. You will be high at 50 and way high at 100. Put the rear sight on '1' which should zero at 50 yds. You'll find it will be a much smaller adjustment if it needs adjusting at all. The 100 yd zero is roughly 1" low at 25, 0 at 50, +1 at 75 and 0 at 100. Once you do this the rear sight will be indexed (approximately) for the other ranges, so to shoot at 200 you put it on '2'.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I was waiting to see how yours did before I ordered one, guess I won't be now. I truly know how stuck that sight is, as mine is the same way. I've tried turning it with a pair of pliers and it still won't budge. I'm scared I'm going to mess it up if I keep trying different ways to turn it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Here is some pics of the tool. The crack is hard to see but it is there on both sides. It flex outs when you are using it now and the crack shows more so. Too bad as it is nice tool. Yes it should likely be replaced. The packages says they will replace it if it breaks under normal use.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Holy crap... I'm the one of guys who recommended magna-matic tool.
I feel almost responsible...

Looking at my tool, I just can't imagine it getting split.
Yes picture of tool please.
I just checked their web site.  They have limited life time warranty.

I guess now you have to send it to the factory for service.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Is that the heavy duty one?  I dont think its paint that seized the front sight post.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#46]
WOW  

I think its time for you to call Arsenal.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#47]
I will report back on mine when I get the magna tool in. Should be getting it this Saturday. My front sight is stuck also. What the heck is causing these sights to be that stuck that a well built tool or even pliars can't turn it?

I've tried needle nose pliars and it won't budge.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm right there with you guys.  I bought my SLR107FR (my first AK) on 3/31/14.  Since I saw this thread, I've been propping the gun up and filling the front sight with WD-40 every day.  I also ordered a Magna-matic AK sight tool as soon as it was mentioned here, which I'm still waiting on.  Unfortunately, I've made three buys from Midway this month, and UPS delivered the first two to the local post office for delivery, which added FIVE DAYS to the original UPS estimated delivery date.  

If my Magna-matic tool breaks, too, my sheet metal mechanic brain is telling me to make a home-made wrench by cutting a piece of 3/16" thick stainless steel to where it will just fit into the front site housing, and then drill three holes in a row slightly wider than the thickness of the front site post, and dremel them into a slot that will barely fit over the post.  Or drill and dremel a slot into the end of a 3/8" bolt, slide the bolt down over the post, and use a 9/16" wrench to turn the bolt from above.  My FSP isn't centered, so I'd have to grind down the outside of the bolt to a smaller diameter until it would fit.  Where there's a will there's a way.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Maybe grind the damn post flat, completely flush with the drum.   Then push the drum out and replace with a new drum and post.

Sounds like a pretty frustrated boat to be in.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#50]
My sgl21 front sight was the same welded in place by paint. Snapped the magna matic tool on the first turn. I ended up using a screw driver with a thick shank cutting off the top and cutting a groove in it.clamped a set of vice grips to it for extra leverage and finally got it to break free. Still use that tool to adjust all my ak sights. The magna matic tool is awesome to adjust windage but the elevation adjustment ears are just like all others cheap and flimsy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top