Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2014 2:51:21 PM EDT
Does this mean there can be a section in the forum for USA made AK's ?  

I'm real interested in one of these to use as a bullet hose.  Perhaps installing a bump stock and a bazillion rounds and just shooting the crap out of it !  

Or should I get two or more ?  because apparently CAI has done an excellent job with these and rat holing one away as  might be good investment.    

This thing has been getting good reviews from what I can tell.

Does anybody feel they are living up to the hype ?

Has CAI finally made a turn for the better instead of just making turds ?
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 3:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
This was all I needed to see to make me very wary of these rifles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7oFY4NFTJ8&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 3:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I swear, Century Arms keeps my gunsmith business, in business.

YMMV, but if you can't inspect it first, I'd be wary.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This was all I needed to see to make me very wary of these rifles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7oFY4NFTJ8&feature=youtu.be
View Quote

That is a nice review.  However, that is tactical model with the double charging handles, the hacked up dustcover, and the moved back front sight/gas block all of which I don't desire.  I'm mainly interested in the Classic version.
Of course, I'm mostly interested in the basic features of these rifles.  The hand guards, stock and pistol grip would be replaced. The windage adj. rear sight could improved with a little DIY ingenuity.  
I'm not expecting CAI to be perfect just like all the other manufacturers are not perfect but I've got a feeling based on other reviews that this AK has more positives than negatives at this point.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Great guns for the price for a milled AK.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Too bad they didn't make one with a proper gas block and fsb so we can have traditional looking milled AKs
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Wait a minute. Isn't any gun that has 5 or 6 US parts & 922 compliant considered "US made"? I seriously doubt the carrier, & bolt are US made.  GARY
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Alot of AKs sold in the US can be considered US made since most of them have US made barrels, recievers, furniture, and fire control groups.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wait a minute. Isn't any gun that has 5 or 6 US parts & 922 compliant considered "US made"? I seriously doubt the carrier, & bolt are US made.  GARY
View Quote

Yeah, but they are saying this is 100% US made, as in no imported parts.

The carriers on these have some weird slots cut in them.. never seen that in any imported carriers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#9]
As discussed heavily on another forum, the C39 comes with a surplus dust cover (presumably Romanian AKM) and possibly safety selector and other small parts as well. They can legally market it as 100% US made because of the ass-backwards ATF definitions. Not every part on these rifles was made in the US, but it was certainly assembled here.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:15:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Too bad they didn't make one with a proper gas block and fsb so we can have traditional looking milled AKs
View Quote

Their classic(Wood stocks) and basic(Black/pink polymer) versions don't have the weird gas block/front sight combo, but none of them have traditional front sights that can be adjusted with the AK sight tool for windage.

The classic ones do look rather nice. I'm partial to the black laminate wood, but that's just me. Not a fan of the pistol grip, I'd switch it for a Magpul or US Palm in an instant.

Still; you can't beat the rifle for the price. $600-650 for a milled AK with 90% positive reviews? And they're releasing Chromed barrel within a month? Sign me the hell up.

...But I'd avoid the "Tactical" $700 model with the left hand charging handle and GB/FS combo. Those are the only ones I've seen having problems.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Their classic(Wood stocks) and basic(Black/pink polymer) versions don't have the weird gas block/front sight combo, but none of them have traditional front sights that can be adjusted with the AK sight tool for windage.

The classic ones do look rather nice. I'm partial to the black laminate wood, but that's just me. Not a fan of the pistol grip, I'd switch it for a Magpul or US Palm in an instant.

Still; you can't beat the rifle for the price. $600-650 for a milled AK with 90% positive reviews? And they're releasing Chromed barrel within a month? Sign me the hell up.

...But I'd avoid the "Tactical" $700 model with the left hand charging handle and GB/FS combo. Those are the only ones I've seen having problems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The chrome lined barrel makes me REALLY want one.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw one at a gun show a few months ago. It was the black Poly furniture version.

Anyone get one with a flat rear sight? It almost seemed like the example I was holding didn't have the rear sight notch cut out, and the blade where the notch was supposed to be was smaller. I went to look down the sights and was thinking "How the Hell do you aim this bastard?"
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want a cheap beater, shop Romanian.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
We had one (the Classic?) in the shop for a very long time, since the panic. It finally sold (no, I didn't sell it). The gas tube lever and trigger guard were not properly heat treated and bent very easy. I was not impressed, by far. It made me wonder what else was not heat treated properly....

evl....
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the classic version with black laminate furniture. It is well made and I have had no issues thus far. It is also very accurate as well. I have been using the tapco mags that it came with as well as pro mags that I had laying around. I have experienced no failures of any kind. I did not care for the grip so I replaced it with one that matches the other furniture from Timbersmith. The muzzle brake is very effective and I love the tapco 2 stage trigger. All in all, I vastly prefer it over my mak90. I will post gun and target pics tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:36:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I would like to see more feedback on the centurion 39.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:20:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Are these the ones with non-standard mounting brackets for the stock?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

They used the Polish/Milled double tang. Standard for most milled AK's.

You can find stocks for them at Kvar in varying lengths.

Attaching a folding/collapsible stock on the other hand, is a pain in the ass.

You can use the Tapco AR tube, but you'll have to either remove the lower tang, or possibly dremel/file out a slot for the tang in the bottom of the polymer adapter. Some have had these adapters fit without modification, but YMMV.

For most other kinds of folding stocks, you'd have to remove the lower tang, or both tangs. Same kind of stuff you'd go through with a regular stamped AK in regards to folding stocks.

Just my opinion, the dual tang makes sense. It makes the stock more rigid and will keep it that way for longer. For most people getting an AK at those prices, they aren't going to modify it a great deal.(I'd want the polymer to have a Warsaw length stock, but that's me) Also, removing the lower tang to add a folding stock isn't very difficult. And as long as you have a stock on it, its value won't drop much, if at all.(It's a sub-$700 rifle anyway. Plus a folder will increase the value a bit)
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You can use the Tapco AR tube, but you'll have to either remove the lower tang, or possibly dremel/file out a slot for the tang in the bottom of the polymer adapter. Some have had these adapters fit without modification, but YMMV.

For most other kinds of folding stocks, you'd have to remove the lower tang, or both tangs. Same kind of stuff you'd go through with a regular stamped AK in regards to folding stocks.

Just my opinion, the dual tang makes sense. It makes the stock more rigid and will keep it that way for longer. For most people getting an AK at those prices, they aren't going to modify it a great deal.(I'd want the polymer to have a Warsaw length stock, but that's me) Also, removing the lower tang to add a folding stock isn't very difficult. And as long as you have a stock on it, its value won't drop much, if at all.(It's a sub-$700 rifle anyway. Plus a folder will increase the value a bit)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info. Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#20]
do they have a cl barrel? I am considering the black wood classic style but have conflicting info on the type of barrel cl or not. I may just get the Yugo n pap.underfolder.  I do not plan to do any mods to what ever I purchase. I just want a good ak right out of the box although I read about some sharp edges that have to be filed with the yugo.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:10:07 AM EDT
[#21]
From what I understand is CAI took a REALLY good US made receiver, and put all crap parts on it to keep the cost down, and it shows.
Ok, the barrel is CL now... but it's still not CHF (fail)
The dust cover/top cover is suspiciously Bulgarian, not what would be on a milled (Russian top covers have been reported to fit better on them)
The selector lever is for a stamped receiver, not a milled (a milled receiver lever is available but why would they do that? Unless it's not really US?)
"lightening cuts" in the piston rod. Not needed. Why would they do this?
Rear sight: total F up. set screw rear adjustable blade??  Why not use a standard rear blade?
Front sight: Total F up: Fixed front. why not use a drift adjustable version as any other AK?

Overall... total F up. But damn good receiver. It's a shame, they started with an excellent core, and totally screwed it up from there. But if you're willing to spend the $ to fix that crap you'll have a nice milled receiver AK.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:00:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:19:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That is a nice review.  However, that is tactical model with the double charging handles, the hacked up dustcover, and the moved back front sight/gas block all of which I don't desire.  I'm mainly interested in the Classic version.
Of course, I'm mostly interested in the basic features of these rifles.  The hand guards, stock and pistol grip would be replaced. The windage adj. rear sight could improved with a little DIY ingenuity.  
I'm not expecting CAI to be perfect just like all the other manufacturers are not perfect but I've got a feeling based on other reviews that this AK has more positives than negatives at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arsenal rifles are perfect.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#24]
If the rifle was 100% US made they could make a killing selling parts for 922r compliance, so I doubt they are. I'm sure the bolt carrier is foreign as well, with Century adding the slots.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top