Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I consider myself one of those "traditional" pricks, but I think that firearm is awesome!  
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
yours is the Tacticoolest rifle I have seen, very well sexecuted
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I consider myself one of those "traditional" pricks, but I think that firearm is awesome!  
View Quote

This. I now want a tactical AK. Goddamn you OP
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No eating crow necessary.  I was skeptical as well.  It's right around 7.5 lbs empty.

You are missing something.  A front sling mount would be simple, but I run single-point slings off the AR end plates and have no need for a front sling mount.  It has stayed zeroed just fine.  The TWS dust cover is very stable and has absolutely no play once locked in.  It does open, but hinges on the RSB.  Fieldstripping is not complicated or inhibited by this add-on.  I have opened and closed the TWS dust cover multiple times, removed the Aimpoint PRO a few times, punched it, asked my fat cousin to sit on it and it has held zero without issue.  I rarely talk up anything, but this is a very good, well-thought-out product.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok... I will eat a little crow on this one... it looks extremely functional and well thought out. Nice work.

What is the weight?

No eating crow necessary.  I was skeptical as well.  It's right around 7.5 lbs empty.

Quoted:
That a great looking stick but i too have questions.... No front sling mount? Single point only would never be ok to me personally. Also, how does that thing stayed zerod if the rear site is on a removable cover and doesnt use the scope mount? And if its not removable well, thats worse.... Tell me im missing something?

You are missing something.  A front sling mount would be simple, but I run single-point slings off the AR end plates and have no need for a front sling mount.  It has stayed zeroed just fine.  The TWS dust cover is very stable and has absolutely no play once locked in.  It does open, but hinges on the RSB.  Fieldstripping is not complicated or inhibited by this add-on.  I have opened and closed the TWS dust cover multiple times, removed the Aimpoint PRO a few times, punched it, asked my fat cousin to sit on it and it has held zero without issue.  I rarely talk up anything, but this is a very good, well-thought-out product.  

Single point slings blow. You should go ahead and have the option there for the front point, even if its just for your 1pt to 2pt conversion. Unless you kick in doors and have it on less than 5 min ever, a single point is not a viable option. Bust your nuts like the rest of us and you will come around. its inevitable.

Also, so what youre saying is the cover is removable? Then no way id trust the sights pivot or no. Thats what the scope block is for. Theyve been making the things for almost seven decades, theres a reason the mount isnt on the cover, quality product or no.

Fix those things and ill say its one of the best modern ak builds ive seen, but i would not use it at all without those corrections.  My $0.02.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Also, so what youre saying is the cover is removable? Then no way id trust the sights pivot or no. Thats what the scope block is for. Theyve been making the things for almost seven decades, theres a reason the mount isnt on the cover, quality product or no.
View Quote

The latest generation of AKs have the rear sight mounted to the top cover, and it is hinged as well.  Same as the krinks which were first made 30 years ago.  That way works, too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the build, but am a bit confused as to why you went with a pinned tantal muzzle brake. You could have extended the barrel further past the gas block, had it threaded, and installed any number of excellent muzzle devices on the market, or sacrificed a bit of length in order to change out muzzle devices when desired.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I like the build, but am a bit confused as to why you went with a pinned tantal muzzle brake. You could have extended the barrel further past the gas block, had it threaded, and installed any number of excellent muzzle devices on the market, or sacrificed a bit of length in order to change out muzzle devices when desired.
View Quote
I questioned this at 1st too, but it just looks right on that rifle. OP, if you Form 1'd this rifle someday I bet it would be even cooler.

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Fix those things and ill say its one of the best modern ak builds ive seen, but i would not use it at all without those corrections.  My $0.02.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, if I was building this rifle for you, I would certainly make all of those changes.

Quoted:

The barrel used was an AK-105 barrel. It's 12.5" long. That in combination with the Tantal brake gets the length just over 16", keeping is as short as possible. Yes, you are correct, a different muzzle device permanently attached (to a longer barrel, of course) would get me more barrel length, but I did not like the idea of cutting down a barrel and recrowning it due to the chrome lining. I also didn't want to go with a standard 16.25" barrel because I wanted to keep this rifle as short as possible. I wanted to use a barrel that was stock and unadulterated at the crown, so my options were either 16.25" or 12.5" (as far as I know). If you question my logic in not wanting to have a chopped and recrowned chrome-lined barrel, there is plenty of reading material (and tons of debate) on this topic if you do a web search.

Quoted:

OP, if you Form 1'd this rifle someday I bet it would be even cooler.

I agree with you 100%, but it's just not gonna happen. I would love to SBR this rifle and about ten others, but I refuse to participate in the extortion process that we refer to as the NFA.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#9]
How does the TWS forearm mount to the rifle?
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How does the TWS forearm mount to the rifle?
View Quote

It has two very robust bushings that clamp the barrel.  Each busing has four hex screws.  Those screw tighten the clamps while also securing the lower portion of the handguard to the bushings.  Once cranked down with Loctite, it's going nowhere.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Really nice. In fact if money weren't an issue I'd have built one very similar already. Glad to see my idea's weren't alone and someone could put them to reality. :)

I really like the TWS top cover and have been wanting their handguards for awhile but I hear really mixed reviews. Mainly that the heat management is terrible. How's it working for you?
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Beautiful. I would love to do that with a .223 Saiga.

So the front and rear sights line up? I.e., the top cover and handguard rail line up height-wise? That's been my biggest question with tacti-cool AK's.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I really like the TWS top cover and have been wanting their handguards for awhile but I hear really mixed reviews. Mainly that the heat management is terrible. How's it working for you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My post from another thread:  It's not bad at all and definitely has better ventilation than your standard forends. I've put about 60 rounds through it in a short period of time and it was fine.

Quoted:
Beautiful. I would love to do that with a .223 Saiga.

So the front and rear sights line up? I.e., the top cover and handguard rail line up height-wise? That's been my biggest question with tacti-cool AK's.

Thank you.  The sights line up almost perfectly.  I had to move the rear aperture just a tad to the right to get the rifle zeroed.  

See this photo......

Both picatinny rails from the handguard and dust cover run on the same plane and are about as parallel with the barrel as you can get.  In my opinion, this is where the TWS parts really shine and I am befuddled as to why they have never marketed their products in such a manner.  Each part, alone, is pretty much worthless if you ask me, but when you put them together, magic happens.  

Alignment was the main reason I had this built from the ground up by a competent AK smith and Tim Foremen is definitely that and more.  I was looking to do this setup on several factory AKs (20+) from various manufacturers and none of them would have worked.  The problem that anyone will run into if they try a similar build on a factory rifle will be that the TWS parts are far more refined than the rifle itself.  I can guarantee that something will be out of alignment - either the GB, RSB, receiver or rear trunnion.  All of these parts MUST be straight and properly aligned with each other for this to work.  The rifle might look straight, but every flaw will come jumping out once you start putting on the TWS parts.  If I have to take a guess, I would say that 1 out of maybe 50 factory rifles would work for such a build and be as straight as mine.  

This I can almost guarantee - If anyone watching this thread goes and buys the parts that I've used for this build to slap on their factory AK, there is about a 95+% chance that they will be disappointed with the final product due to alignment issues.  

I plan on doing one more in 5.45 and two more in 7.62 and they will all be built from parts kits.  It's definitely more expensive going that route, but I know I will be much happier in the end.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#14]

SPECIFIC TO THE TECH FORUMS.

The tech forums (Ar15,AK47,Handgun,Armory,Training,Outdoors) are more "formal" and actions permitted in the GD forum aren't permitted there. These forums are there to share information and as a result, trolling, heated arguments,insulting others,etc won't be ignored.

This is tech forum, not GD. dryflash3

Link Posted: 5/8/2014 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Adam,
your AK is outstanding.
I am looking now at AK´s for quiet a time.
AR´s are pretty expensive over here....$2500 for a plain Jane M5
SL8´s cost a lot more than that after you have put all the parts on it that will make you stop pukeing.
AK´s run like crap, are affordable ....$1400 for a Saiga or Arsenal...and to make them practical you don't have to give an arm and a leg.
And since I want 2 of the rifle, an extra one for my wife, cash ia a matter.

This, what you have build is einfach wunderbar
I ask you to write more about your gun after a more range time.
May be a class....

Have you considered the Linch Dustcover with the integrated charging handle on the left side?

Have fun with your gun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Have you considered the Linch Dustcover with the integrated charging handle on the left side?
View Quote

LINCH will not work with TWS dustcover rail system, as far as I know. It can be mated to Parabellum AKARS, however.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Not a huge fan of tac'd AK's, etc, etc, etc but that's a really nice rig you have there.

I think the only thing I'd try differently if I was building something similar would be working in the KOP AK Sight System as a rear sight base optics mount vs the TWS dust cover.  Shortens up the sight radius yes but I'd feel better about it holding zero.  I haven't used the KOP on a build yet but the it's an interesting concept to me.  

I noticed you said it balances well.  Is the balance by the magwell or slightly forward of the magwell?  Nicely done.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Great looking rifle OP.  Quick question, and I hope I didn't miss it:  What's the weight on this thing?

Oh, and if Magpul comes into the thread to give you a thumbs up, it's a pretty kick ass build.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Adam,
your AK is outstanding.
SL8´s cost a lot more than that after you have put all the parts on it that will make you stop pukeing.
AK´s run like crap, are affordable ....$1400 for a Saiga or Arsenal...and to make them practical you don't have to give an arm and a leg.

May be a class....

Have fun with your gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Adam,
your AK is outstanding.

May be a class....

Have fun with your gun.

Vielen Dank für die freundlichen Worte.  Man, guns are expensive in Germany!  I feel for you.  

To answer your questions...

The Linch dust cover would not be compatible with this build.  So far, I've put a few hundred rounds down range and haven't had an issue.  I am very happy thus far.  

Quoted:
Not a huge fan of tac'd AK's, etc, etc, etc but that's a really nice rig you have there.

I think the only thing I'd try differently if I was building something similar would be working in the KOP AK Sight System as a rear sight base optics mount vs the TWS dust cover.  Shortens up the sight radius yes but I'd feel better about it holding zero.  I haven't used the KOP on a build yet but the it's an interesting concept to me.  

I noticed you said it balances well.  Is the balance by the magwell or slightly forward of the magwell?  Nicely done.

I am very familiar with the KOP system.  I would never make the argument that my setup is more robust or stable than the KOP system.  However, I set out to achieve a specific end result with this rifle and the KOP system would not have helped in any way.  I would take a good side mount system, such as RS Regulate, over the KOP system any day of the week.  Personally, I really don't think it provides a notable advantage over something like the RS system to justify the permanent modification of the my rifle.  Also, If I were to omit the TWS dust cover, I can so no reason why I would want to go with the TWS handguard on the front end.  In my opinion, the two TWS parts only work well together in this manner and I would never use them individually in any way other than what I've done with this rifle.  

Quoted:
Great looking rifle OP.  Quick question, and I hope I didn't miss it:  What's the weight on this thing?

Oh, and if Magpul comes into the thread to give you a thumbs up, it's a pretty kick ass build.

Thank you.  Yes, getting kudos from Magpul is definitely cool.  I think I mentioned the weight in a post, not sure.  It weighs in at 7.5 lbs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#20]
the end result is - TITS!

kick ass build.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I am very familiar with the KOP system.  I would never make the argument that my setup is more robust or stable than the KOP system.  However, I set out to achieve a specific end result with this rifle and the KOP system would not have helped in any way.  I would take a good side mount system, such as RS Regulate, over the KOP system any day of the week.  Personally, I really don't think it provides a notable advantage over something like the RS system to justify the permanent modification of the my rifle.  Also, If I were to omit the TWS dust cover, I can so no reason why I would want to go with the TWS handguard on the front end.  In my opinion, the two TWS parts only work well together in this manner and I would never use them individually in any way other than what I've done with this rifle.  
View Quote

I should have been more clear; I wouldn’t change your build.  

I literally meant if I was starting a tac build myself it’d involve KOP because I’d have different build goals.

Your build makes functional sense and looks great.  Good stuff.

Link Posted: 5/10/2014 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Mtel, gotcha.  Thanks for the kudos.  

I meant to post this, but forgot.  I was dickin' around and with the rifle and thought I'd try to see if an AK74 bayonet would fit.  Lo and behold, it is a perfect fit... better than on an AK74.  It's a complete accident that this works, but I am cool with it.  

Link Posted: 7/5/2014 2:54:03 AM EDT
[#23]
absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Sweet

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Sexiest "futuristic" AK I have ever seen. You make me want two (one black, one dipped in hydrographics) just with a different flash suppressor. Congrats, that is one hell of a build.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#26]
That looks awesome! I want one!
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Dude this build is so awesome it needs to be a production rifle!!  I would love to be able to walk into a shop and buy this off of the shelves, great job!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Mtel, gotcha.  Thanks for the kudos.  

I meant to post this, but forgot.  I was dickin' around and with the rifle and thought I'd try to see if an AK74 bayonet would fit.  Lo and behold, it is a perfect fit... better than on an AK74.  It's a complete accident that this works, but I am cool with it.  

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5455/13943399070_6bc5ab6c0e_o.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2909/13943402140_e50862ebe9_o.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7383/13943357519_fb9603548a_o.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5331/13943360699_73fcb8f718_o.jpg
View Quote

Having lived thru the AWB, the fact that it still takes the bayonet is just pure awesome.... Very tastefully done rifle OP. I wouldn't kick it outta the safe for eating too much ammo
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#29]
That rifle is absolutely BAD ASS.

Nicely done OP, seriously cool gun you have there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Truly an awesome gun!  Thanks for the parts list!  I think I would like one in 5.56.  hmmm...
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 10:57:04 PM EDT
[#31]
looks great! well done
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Well that turned out damn nice. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank for all the kudos, gents.  Good bump. This week, I'll be sending out three more to be built.  I finally got my Bulgy 5.45 barrel today and that was the last thing I needed.  I would have had the parts put together sooner, but damn, there are so many deals and the bullshit sanctions made my buy two VEPR 12s and a SGL31-84.  Those hurt the wallet.  Anyway, I will have one more in 5.45 that will be FDE and have a flash hider.  Then, two more in 7.62x39.  One will be black with a brake and the other will be FDE with a flash hider.  My other next 5.45 rifle will have a Manticore Eclipse flash hider, as will one of the 7.62 rifles and the brake used on the other 7.62 rifle will be Manticore NightBrake.  I went with the Manticore products because my barrels will be chopped as short as possible to get the overall length just over 16" with the muzzle devices permanently attached.  The Manticore brakes and flash hiders are short, very effective and will give me more barrel than just about anything else.  

Mocked it up in FDE:

This is pretty close to what they'll look like when done.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice! That is the best looking AK I have seen. I'm not an AK guy but seeing what you have done makes me want one just like that.

How much does it weigh?

Again sweet rifle!

Jeff

I see 7.5 lbs. not bad at all. I was expecting it to weigh more than that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nice! That is the best looking AK I have seen. I'm not an AK guy but seeing what you have done makes me want one just like that.

How much does it weigh?

Again sweet rifle!

Jeff

View Quote

Thanks.  The rifle is right around 7.5 lbs.  It definitely looks like it would be heavier, but the TWS parts are very light.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks.  The rifle is right around 7.5 lbs.  It definitely looks like it would be heavier, but the TWS parts are very light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much does it weigh?

Again sweet rifle!

Jeff

How's the TWS holding zero for you?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much does it weigh?

Again sweet rifle!

Jeff

No issues whatsoever through 350-400 rounds (maybe a bit more).  I've been very happy.

Adam
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Never been much into tacticool AK's, but this thread inspired me to do something similar in 7.62 .... work now in progress
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:09:55 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm officially inspired!  I'm definitely building something along these lines when I get back from Afghanistan...

What was your issue with the Rifle Dynamics stock adapter?

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A few months ago, I had a crazy idea and gathered the parts to make it work.  Then, I sent if off to Tim Foreman at Gewehr Werks to be built.  Tim has been a pleasure to deal with thus far and I highly recommend him.  I did a lot of web searching before I decided to send the kit to him and don't think I read a bad thing about the guy or his shop.  

http://www.gewehrwerks.com/

A little background on the rifle and a parts breakdown...

A virgin AK-105 barrel assembly was used along with a virgin AK74 parts kit.  

Other Parts:

TWS Forend and Dust Cover
RD AKM4 adapter
Magpul CTR with 1/4" Cheek Riser
Magpul MOE AK Grip
Magpul AFG
Tantal Brake permanently attached
Troy Micro flip-up sights

I plan on topping it off with an Aimpoint PRO since it will co-witness with the Micros.  

I just talked with Tim today and the rifle is ready to ship back to me.  He said that he really liked the rifle build and wants to offer it on his site after he talks with vendors and gets pricing sorted.  Personally, I think it's going to be one bad ass little AK that I am going to enjoy thoroughly.  So, if any of you like the concept or idea, these will be available from Gewehr Werks.  I am guessing (but certainly do not want to speak for him or his shop) that he'll end up using Saigas in various calibers as it would be a lot more economical and the barrel could be made a bit longer than an AK-105 barrel without adding to the overall length.  The build could incorporate just about any caliber and  barrel length combo.  

Here's a quick mock-up I did before I shipped it off...

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5525/11568911974_213fb915e1_c.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2828/11569093963_7ccac16398_c.jpg

I should have pics from Tim today or tomorrow and will post the final build when I get the photos.

UPDATE – 4/24/14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUSebvg2ryI

I was finally able to find the time to get my brainchild yesterday and I have to say… this damn thing is, by far, the nicest AK rifle I have ever owned and I have/had some nice ones (SLR-107FR, SLR-104UR, SLR-104FR, just about every flavor of VEPR, etc).  The quality on this is amazing and one can only conclude that Tim Foreman is a perfectionist.  The rivet work is great.  The finish is excellent.  Mags lock in nice and tight.  I have zero complaints.  

When looking down to top rail, alignment is absolutely perfect from the top cover to the front end on this rifle.  I was going to try this setup on a few base rifles, but it seemed that every single rifle was out of alignment (canted gas block, canted RSB, slightly twisted receiver, misaligned rear trunnion, etc.) in one way or another.  That is why I wanted it to be a ground-up build.  This rifle is spot-on – absolutely straight from front to rear and that is exactly what is needed for this setup to make sense and work.  The only thing I will likely change with this rifle is swapping out the RD adapter for a Canis adapter.  I’ve had issues with the RD adapter and I think the Canis is a superior product.  Now, I just need to get one in 7.62x39!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7325/13991401132_801d8fd8ab_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7094/13994605955_44a84a4765_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5511/13995035624_d4c1272ef3_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5545/14014592093_bab813c551_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5583/13994591915_30d2d46bd9_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7197/13991408111_1e371dc3df_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5446/13995018744_8f51fe56fb_b.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2922/13991399211_22edec6cea_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7429/13991364312_8ff63961de_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7042/13971465436_d2c479f2c5_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7093/13971460906_5e26204620_b.jpg

Just to give you an idea of overall length, I have it next to my AR that has a 14.5" barrel and permanently attached FH.  

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2923/13994559275_ba9dff7159_b.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2935/13991376631_9d1d52d508_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7065/13991342382_b2650cf39d_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5502/13991334682_459e0f0915_b.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2907/13991360351_924511017f_b.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2931/13991356281_3c58e8c200_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7389/13991352901_047aac672d_b.jpg

Got some better photos with optics...

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2909/13998948356_f47befce83_h.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7303/14018856291_30066b4300_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5527/14022037995_43b84b7a9d_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5514/14018827792_190221140d_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7442/14018840181_091292e127_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7379/14042025353_99b331b9d7_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7137/14042021473_206c43d86c_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7435/14018810192_016fef5e27_b.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5522/14018821111_5fd7190788_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7178/14042006473_c519fefb83_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7238/13998878736_b81343afed_b.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2939/14018786042_e8e0cca535_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7075/14018774932_ed2eb67b62_b.jpg

Price Breakdown:

AK-105 Barrel Assembly - $315
NDS2 Receiver - $100(ish)
TWS Handguard -$270
TWS Dust Cover - $120
Troy Micro Sights - $160
Tantal Brake - $25
Magpul CTR Stock - $70
Magpul CTR Cheek Riser - $20
Magpul AFG - $30
Magpul MOE Grip - $20
M4 Buffer Tube - $25
Castle Nut and End Plate - $20
RD AKM4 Adapter - $65
MFer Mag Funnel - $47 (WAY overpriced product... should be about $25 max)
Krebs Safety - $50
Tapco G2 FCG - $30
Tapco Retainer Plate - $6
Side Rail - $30
Unissued AK74 Kit - FREE!!! (Sold of everything I didn't want from the kit and ended up making a few bucks!)
Built Cost - Contact Tim
Shipping - $25
FFL Fees - $20

Total - $1448.00
View Quote

Very nice rifle. I am in the process of doing 80% same with a 16" 7.62x39 Vepr. biggest differences will be the muzzle device and the sights. Hope it turns out as nice as yours.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks guys.  

Quoted:

Very nice rifle. I am in the process of doing 80% same with a 16" 7.62x39 Vepr. biggest differences will be the muzzle device and the sights. Hope it turns out as nice as yours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A few months ago, I had a crazy idea and gathered the parts to make it work.  Then, I sent if off to Tim Foreman at Gewehr Werks to be built.  Tim has been a pleasure to deal with thus far and I highly recommend him.  I did a lot of web searching before I decided to send the kit to him and don't think I read a bad thing about the guy or his shop.  

http://www.gewehrwerks.com/

A little background on the rifle and a parts breakdown...

Nice.  Definitely post some pictures when done or even some build pics.  What muzzle device and sights are you going to use?

Quoted:
I'm officially inspired!  I'm definitely building something along these lines when I get back from Afghanistan...

What was your issue with the Rifle Dynamics stock adapter?

The RD is not in the same league as the Canis adapter.. period.  When the Canis adapter was first released, I preferred the RD (probably without good reason), but since then, the guys at Canis actually listened to the advice/criticism from members over on AKFiles (I'm sure they had their own ideas for improvement as well) and they now have one badass, solid adapter.  I would trust is it take a ton of abuse before failure.  I definitely can not say the same thing about the Rifle Dynamics adapter.  

The Rifle Dynamics adapter is held on by four screws.  Two small (too small IMO) hex screws in the piece that secured to the tang and two hex screws attach the AR interface portion to the tang piece.  So, the whole system depends on the two small screws that attach to the tang.  I've had issues with the tang screws on all of my adapters and I've owned about five or six RD adapters... even had issues after RD sent me some spacers that were supposed to solve the issue.  Even if RD were to make more robust tang screws, it still would not touch the Canis adapter.  I sold them all and replaced them with Canis adapters.  

The latest gen adapter from Canis:

Rifle Dynamics adapter:

How my rifle sits now (with the Canis adapter)...

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nice.  Definitely post some pictures when done or even some build pics.  What muzzle device and sights are you going to use?
View Quote

I'll most likely leave the original Vepr sight set up ( not the integrated type 2) with a Burris3 reflex or Aimpoint PRO,   have the barrel cut down to 16.0001() OAL and definitely go with the TWS dogleg and handguard (great example of form following function and looking bad ass as a result). I also went with the Canis adapter after deliberating between it and the Krebs adapter for a day or 2.

The bayonet ... that is too good to pass up,  I may just copy you on the muzzle device
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The RD is not in the same league as the Canis adapter.. period.
View Quote

Thanks a million for the feedback on the adapters.  I was torn between the two.  Didn't like the 2-piece design of the RD, but I did like that it used both tang bolts.  Sounds like Canis will be getting the nod for my build!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'll most likely leave the original Vepr sight set up ( not the integrated type 2) with a Burris3 reflex or Aimpoint PRO,   have the barrel cut down to 16.0001() OAL and definitely go with the TWS dogleg and handguard (great example of form following function and looking bad ass as a result). I also went with the Canis adapter after deliberating between it and the Krebs adapter for a day or 2.

The bayonet ... that is too good to pass up,  I may just copy you on the muzzle device
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, the bayonet is nice, but was a complete accident.  Was definitely a nice surprise.  To be honest, I would rather have more barrel.  The next three rifles will have 14"-14.5" barrels instead of 12.5".  

Quoted:
Quoted:
The RD is not in the same league as the Canis adapter.. period.

Thanks a million for the feedback on the adapters.  I was torn between the two.  Didn't like the 2-piece design of the RD, but I did like that it used both tang bolts.  Sounds like Canis will be getting the nod for my build!

Don't let the one tang screw on the Canis adapter deceive you.  The front is also held in by the grip screw t-nut.  It is solid as hell.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#46]
That could be sold as art.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.  I have been enjoying the living hell out of it.  Looking forward to getting my other three back.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Man these dudes are clean af,, Awesome rifles. Congrats to ya
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Has a certain Sig look to it.

I'm one of those purists too, but I have to say that's the nicest tactical AKs I've ever seen. I have never considered buying any AK that has been "tacticooled" in any way, but yours makes me think twice. I like the concept and build.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Agreed.  I have been enjoying the living hell out of it.  Looking forward to getting my other three back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How have the TWS handguards handled the heat so far? Also, about how many mags before it gets too hot to handle?
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top