Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2013 12:12:00 PM EDT
I saw this MAK-90 posted for sale in a Facebook group, and it looks like a 3rd pin hole to me. Even if it is not functional (let's hope not), this is still considered an illegal MG in the eyes of the ATF, right?

If I'm wrong, then sorry for the inconvenience and feel free to nuke the question.

ETA: Pic removed--got my answer and I don't want it floating around on the internet any longer than is necessary.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
It is. Google Mak 90 3rd pin, there are clear pics floating around showing it.

Edit: Torch it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is. Google Mak 90 3rd pin, there are clear pics floating around showing it.
View Quote

I did a few minutes ago--just making sure I wasn't seeing things. Does this mean that the guy is unlucky and should just torch the receiver?

ETA: Gotcha. Beat me by a second
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish I could come across one of these, they would make a great parts kit for a build I want to do.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
to bad it cannot be used sad a customs mistake to such a fine gun but whoever gets caught with it unless you have the proper rank or paperwork
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#7]
What would be the legality of him selling it to an 07/02 FFL/SOT? There is a local guy here with his Class 2 SOT that specializes in AK builds, so that might be a win-win option. Seller gets his money and the gun doesn't die.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wish I could come across one of these, they would make a great parts kit for a build I want to do.
View Quote

What makes the parts desirable? Just the era they came from?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing really special, I just want to do a Chinese build and it would be easiest with a kit from a demilled rifle.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nothing really special, I just want to do a Chinese build and it would be easiest with a kit from a demilled rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. There was a guy that also posted about the parts in the GD thread that made me wonder.

Quoted:

Ironically, the kit would still be worth likely more than the original price of the intact rifle.  So the owner could still make out well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the kit would have been worth more than the rifle a year or two ago, but since the panic, prices on MAK90's have gotten pretty stupid.  The owner might lose $100ish selling it cut up as a kit vs an intact MAK90.

Where a year or two ago, a stamped MAK90 could be had for about $450.. now they are like $600+.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I would keep the bitch and keep it in the back of the safe. Its not like atf is ever gonna go to the guys house who has it unless there already there for bomb part. Ya know.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would keep the bitch and keep it in the back of the safe. Its not like atf is ever gonna go to the guys house who has it unless there already there for bomb part. Ya know.
View Quote

Keep an illegal weapon and risk losing all of my weapons and freedom vs pony up about $15k for a legal full auto AK that I can take out in daylight and fire, keep the rest of my weapons, and retain my freedom? That is an easy decision....

evl....
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why? Might as well just cut it up and get rid of it. Unless you were going to commit the felony and convert it to full auto it seems a little silly. If it were me I'd cut it up myself, sell it on the EE and not involve the ATF.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why? Might as well just cut it up and get rid of it. Unless you were going to commit the felony and convert it to full auto it seems a little silly. If it were me I'd cut it up myself, sell it on the EE and not involve the ATF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess im not paranoid about the ATF reading my mind if i had such a gun. Who the hell would know unless your dumb enough to post on the internet "look what i got" I've never known anyone who had an alphabet government agency just come in there house for no reason and look for a illeage gun. I just dont see a reason to cut up a perfectly good gun. Thats not saying i would buy one though. That would be more of a sting type thing im sure your buddies would do. If who ever has one has always had it for years i wouldnt do anything with it is what im saying.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#16]
What's that big dimple at the rear of the receiver? Cutout for an underfolder stock?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What's that big dimple at the rear of the receiver? Cutout for an underfolder stock?
View Quote

Yep.  Some of the very early MAKs were actually prebans that got caught up in customs prior to the ban.  They had to be modded to comply with the ban.  In the case of underfolders, they had the hole for the stock plugged with a piece of metal riveted in place.  They then had a tang welded to the rear trunion so a normal stock could be attached.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:50:38 AM EDT
[#18]
the .gov reads these boards and now facebook.

seller should torch the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very true now. Posting a pic of it is enough to get alot of black suv driveby's. If your lucky a wire tap thrown in for free.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Very true now. Posting a pic of it is enough to get alot of black suv driveby's. If your lucky a wire tap thrown in for free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Annnnnnd pic is deleted.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Annnnnnd pic is deleted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Annnnnnd pic is deleted.

Not quite...
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#22]
The Matrix has you now.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Guess im not paranoid about the ATF reading my mind if i had such a gun. Who the hell would know unless your dumb enough to post on the internet "look what i got" I've never known anyone who had an alphabet government agency just come in there house for no reason and look for a illegal gun.
View Quote

More of a liability thing. Most cops wouldn't know the difference. Where you get in trouble is when someone knows about it and gossips or they get butt hurt and want to get you. Classic example of that would be people getting divorced. Plenty of divorce stories around with vindictive individuals.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#24]
How about removing the through-rivet, welding up the holes, grinding/polishing it out and re-bluing? Still kind of shaky, but at least nobody could tell what it was by looking. BTW, I've never believed the official story that China intended to deliver machine guns to the importer for arming US street gangs. IMO the Chinese thought the through-rivet took care of the problem and were probably amazed at the girlish reaction of the US authorities.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#26]
System Message
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top