Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 6:31:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

who the hell uses hoppes #9? its 2013. there are alot better cleaners that don't melt anything. LPX and CLP are the two that i use.

i could care less what arsenal or krebs or anybody uses to finish their rifles. its getting the krylon/rustoleum treatment anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arsenal makes 5.56 AKs for half the price...and they look like an AK.

Oh yeah, and dig that FIME krylon job especially, really cool looking as ordinary Hoppe's # 9 melts it off, nothing says "Arse-nal" like paint bleeding off yer rifle.

who the hell uses hoppes #9? its 2013. there are alot better cleaners that don't melt anything. LPX and CLP are the two that i use.

i could care less what arsenal or krebs or anybody uses to finish their rifles. its getting the krylon/rustoleum treatment anyway.

dude please DONT compare Arsenal shitty finish with Marc's custom bake on goodness...

he refinished many rifles for me over time, and none of them yet show serious wear. once again apples and oranges
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 6:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
One of a million just like it... blah.  

I'm surprised I have to explain this to people on this side of the house, but here I go again.

Why is it ok to spend $2000+ on a high-end AR but if you spend the same on a custom AK it's some sort of sacrilege?  What is it with the notion AK's should be stuck in the 1940's while the AR continues to evolve?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the price they are asking, you could get one of the best 5.56 production rifles made, as noted above.

This complete setup for the same price.

http://s16.postimg.org/w7rekf8n9/SR15.jpg
One of a million just like it... blah.  

I'm surprised I have to explain this to people on this side of the house, but here I go again.

Why is it ok to spend $2000+ on a high-end AR but if you spend the same on a custom AK it's some sort of sacrilege?  What is it with the notion AK's should be stuck in the 1940's while the AR continues to evolve?

Actually the KAC's are not like the other million AR's, they have completely different bolt and gas system designs.

If I'm spending $2,000 on a a custom AK its going to be a turbo re-weld that gets sent to Mario for engraving and finishing.

But $2,000+ for a saiga conversion? I'f we are talking 5.56 AK's, a budget of $2k+, and the ability to use AR mags:
- SLR-106CR --> $1,000
- NFA stamp --> $200
- DA adatper -> $600

You are at $1800-1900 and have a rifle that performs the same, but has a better stock system and more compact.

Again, its all about what you like, but I wouldn't buy the rifle in question for $2500.

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, and dig that FIME krylon job especially, really cool looking as ordinary Hoppe's # 9 melts it off, nothing says "Arse-nal" like paint bleeding off yer rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you cerakote your Arsenal for less than $1300?
If so, and you prefer the Arsenal over the Krebs AK15, then you're money ahead.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 7:02:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm with you there. That should really be a US Palm, lets be honest with ourselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MAC or plouffedaddy,

How does it compare to the Krebs KV-13?

http://www.krebscustom.com/mediacenter/images/kv-13.jpg

oooo now that on the other hand looks alot more useful. folder, stock is setup correctly the taller sites, and looks like it co witnesses and its in a use full caliber.

No to mention it's a Vepr, with an RPK receiver and a heavy hammer forged target barrel....still got the damn Tapco grip though....but definitely shinier than the poor mangled Saiga that started this thread.

I'm with you there. That should really be a US Palm, lets be honest with ourselves.
I'll be honest with myself, I do prefer the US PALM grip.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Regardless of the opinions in this thread on said rifle, we all want to see the video review of it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

who the hell uses hoppes #9?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

who the hell uses hoppes #9?

millions of people according to their sales figures. And the point, which it looks like you missed by a wide margin, is that even the mildest and most common of cleaners removes the finish.

I use Hoppe's # 9, what's wrong with it? Works fine, there's only so clean you can get, once the metal is squeaky shiny clean, it's clean, there's no doing any better really, so what's your point if you even had one?
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 7:28:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Point well taken. Here's another: No one should HAVE to immediately take a 1300-1400 rifle apart and spend a bunch of money on an expensive re-finish before they can even use it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#8]
drag, you and I see eye to eye on most things, but I will have to somewhat disagree with you on this one. I have several Arsenals that have never had to receive a repaint. I only use CLP on my weapons unless I am using a bore scrubber or copper solvent in the barrel. I have only 1 claim on the net (I don't go looking for what it's worth) that said their finish came off using CLP.

On the flip side, I do agree that it would be nice (especially for the price) if the finish was a bit more durable.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
: No one should HAVE to immediately take a 1300-1400 rifle apart and spend a bunch of money on an expensive re-finish before they can even use it.
View Quote

There you go again.  Don't lie/exaggerate.  Thousands and thousands of Arsenal/FIME rifles are out there and holding up just fine.  Treat them right, clean them right and the finish will last a life time.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Point well taken. Here's another: No one should HAVE to immediately take a 1300-1400 rifle apart and spend a bunch of money on an expensive re-finish before they can even use it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you feel like you HAVE to refinish your rifle before using it, you're doing something wrong.

I have a couple of well-used Arsenals that have always been cleaned with CLP (just like the owner's manual says to use).  CLP cleans the rifle fine, and these rifles still look fine.  You've stated you don't own one, so I guess you could be excused for not knowing this.

ETA: I see two other people beat me to my point.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There you go again.
View Quote

Lol, you just channeled Reagan and that gave me a flashback, I'm old enough to remember that debate and watched him utter those words.....<sigh>....good times, could really use him about now in this country.

Nice to hear from you as always Ted.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
drag, you and I see eye to eye on most things, but I will have to somewhat disagree with you on this one. I have several Arsenals that have never had to receive a repaint. I only use CLP on my weapons unless I am using a bore scrubber or copper solvent in the barrel. I have only 1 claim on the net (I don't go looking for what it's worth) that said their finish came off using CLP.

On the flip side, I do agree that it would be nice (especially for the price) if the finish was a bit more durable.
View Quote

Okay, you may be correct on most Arsenals, but the guy on here is not the only report i've seen of a sub-par finish.

And as to Hoppe's #9, i've been using it for 40 years, CLP stands for "cleaner, lubricant,protectant", it was designed as a field expedient method of cleaning and lubing a rifle so you didn't have to carry multiple liquids, it's not really a substitute for properly cleaning, then degreasing, then re-lubing a firearm.

I recently sold a rifle, and the guy brought a really nice bore-light and had a real "i'm gonna go over this with a fine-tooth comb and if it sucks lowball the crap out of you" attitude, after a thorough inspection, he just shook his head, and asked me what my cleaning regimen was and would I please e-mail him details because he had never seen a used rifle with a bore and internals that clean and perfect.

I used to shoot USPSA, and as a result re-loaded and shot a minimum of 300 rounds 3 times a week for practice, CLP may be great after you run a few rounds out at a casual range session, but it doesn't do shit when you are shooting 4000 rounds of lead a month, that's where my ideas of what works and doesn't work as far as cleaning goes originated, and I see no reason to start being sloppy now as I enjoy taking my firearms down and doing a thorough leisurely cleaning on them after a visit to the range instead of just a quick brush-and-mop.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#13]
For what it's worth, I drown my Arsenal SGL 31 with Hoppes #9 everytime I clean it and have not seen any finish wear due to Hoppes.

I even purposely put some on my brake to see just how destructive it is to the finish. I let it sit for 20 minutes, and nothing.

Original finish.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lol, you just channeled Reagan and that gave me a flashback, I'm old enough to remember that debate and watched him utter those words.....<sigh>....good times, could really use him about now in this country.

Nice to hear from you as always Ted.
View Quote

Your welcome.  i have been ignoring your Arsenal/FIME rants lately but that one was so far from reality I felt compelled to reply.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

CLP stands for "cleaner, lubricant,protectant", it was designed as a field expedient method of cleaning and lubing a rifle so you didn't have to carry multiple liquids, it's not really a substitute for properly cleaning, then degreasing, then re-lubing a firearm...

CLP may be great after you run a few rounds out at a casual range session, but it doesn't do shit when you are shooting 4000 rounds of lead a month.
View Quote

I can tell you from personal experience that the U.S. Army would disagree with your views on CLP.  

CLP was born from Army PD-48, a purchase description for a cleaner, lubricant and protectant that would be suitable for heavy use weapons.  It's literally the only thing we ever used to clean our M-16's, and it worked just fine.

You may need to use something stronger if you're actually shooting 4,000 rounds/month out of a single weapon, but given that 4,000 rounds per month is between $1,000-$2,000 in ammo alone, I suspect very few people shoot that much and would require that stronger treatment.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I can tell you from personal experience that the U.S. Army would disagree with your views on CLP.  

CLP was born from Army PD-48, a purchase description for a cleaner, lubricant and protectant that would be suitable for heavy use weapons.  It's literally the only thing we ever used to clean our M-16's, and it worked just fine.

You may need to use something stronger if you're actually shooting 4,000 rounds/month out of a single weapon, but given that 4,000 rounds per month is between $1,000-$2,000 in ammo alone, I suspect very few people shoot that much and would require that stronger treatment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

CLP stands for "cleaner, lubricant,protectant", it was designed as a field expedient method of cleaning and lubing a rifle so you didn't have to carry multiple liquids, it's not really a substitute for properly cleaning, then degreasing, then re-lubing a firearm...

CLP may be great after you run a few rounds out at a casual range session, but it doesn't do shit when you are shooting 4000 rounds of lead a month.

Gallons upon gallons of that stuff! Every time I spray my rifle down it takes me back.

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very few civilians "require" an AR or other semi-automatic rifle, but that's not really the point is it? A car doesn't "need" synthetic oil, but they run cleaner and last longer on it.

I can't begin to count the number of firearms that I have bought, that people who don't properly care for their guns, shitted up completely, didn't clean properly, and then blamed normal wear when their guns started to malfunction and groups opened up, they just dump 'em cheap, buy a new gun, and start shitting on it. I guarantee you 90% of the armchair quarterbacks on this site alone, don't own a bore light and never have. Yet they hold forth and parrot what they've heard like they themselves thought it up. I can also guarantee you, that 90% of their firearms, I can go run a wet patch through right now, and it will come out dirty.

There is a reason my cars and trucks always run and well. Firearms too, and in fact, everything I put my hand to. I do it right, the first time. This country has as a whole, gone the path of the quick, dirty, and disposable. Sorry, that's not how i'm wired, but it's not heresy, and it's not incorrect, and i'm not a jerk for posting the truth as I have seen it in practice in over 4 decades of shooting.

And i'm not alone, my mentor has over 5 decades building guns, and builds some of the finest most accurate firearms in the world, and most of the advanced knowledge I have, came from him, my RV is parked in his backyard, I work on guns  every. single. day.

All my friends in the Army, use CLP while on duty if they need to clean their weapon, they all use the same cleaning regimen I do on their personal firearms.

Different protocol for different circumstances, whole lotta people hereabouts that are not in the .mil, think that everything the .mil does is gospel and applies to them too, and that's just ridiculous, even more ridiculous when groupthink turns it into something on the order of heresy if you post a differing opinion.

We used to reload .45 acp for about 5-6 bucks 100 rds, so 4000 rounds a month is more like 200 bucks, and that was very do-able even in 1990's dollars. Just six months of that if you can afford it, will make a person quite a different shottist.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Very few civilians "require" an AR or other semi-automatic rifle, but that's not really the point is it? A car doesn't "need" synthetic oil, but they run cleaner and last longer on it.

I can't begin to count the number of firearms that I have bought, that people who don't properly care for their guns, shitted up completely, didn't clean properly, and then blamed normal wear when their guns started to malfunction and groups opened up, they just dump 'em cheap, buy a new gun, and start shitting on it. I guarantee you 90% of the armchair quarterbacks on this site alone, don't own a bore light and never have. Yet they hold forth and parrot what they've heard like they themselves thought it up. I can also guarantee you, that 90% of their firearms, I can go run a wet patch through right now, and it will come out dirty.

There is a reason my cars and trucks always run and well. Firearms too, and in fact, everything I put my hand to. I do it right, the first time. This country has as a whole, gone the path of the quick, dirty, and disposable. Sorry, that's not how i'm wired, but it's not heresy, and it's not incorrect, and i'm not a jerk for posting the truth as I have seen it in practice in over 4 decades of shooting.

And i'm not alone, my mentor has over 5 decades building guns, and builds some of the finest most accurate firearms in the world, and most of the advanced knowledge I have, came from him, my RV is parked in his backyard, I work on guns  every. single. day.

All my friends in the Army, use CLP while on duty if they need to clean their weapon, they all use the same cleaning regimen I do on their personal firearms.

Different protocol for different circumstances, whole lotta people hereabouts that are not in the .mil, think that everything the .mil does is gospel and applies to them too, and that's just ridiculous, even more ridiculous when groupthink turns it into something on the order of heresy if you post a differing opinion.

We used to reload .45 acp for about 5-6 bucks 100 rds, so 4000 rounds a month is more like 200 bucks, and that was very do-able even in 1990's dollars. Just six months of that if you can afford it, will make a person quite a different shottist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Gallons upon gallons of that stuff! Every time I spray my rifle down it takes me back.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, every time I just smell Break-free I'm reminded of Ft. Irwin.  And a particular 1SG I didn't like who I swear showered with the stuff.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#20]
twice as much as a Krebs KTR-03 .........
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 12:38:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry, didn't mean to jack the thread off-topic into a cleaning discussion. I'll lay off now.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Guys,
I'm surprised that people jump so quickly to conclusions. None of us, with exception of Tim had a pleasure to handle this rifle. We don't know how it shoots, handles, how is action working on it and etc. At this point we can only rely on his first impressions. That's why i hate buying weapons through the internet, because very often picture doesn't really tell the true story...Now, i'm not saying that this rifle is the best 5.56mm you can get, the same principles apply, i can't do that just by looking at the price and pictures...let's relax, wait for the full video review and we will see what is going to happen...
View Quote

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the video review.

I've recently been thinking about buying a nicer AR (most likely an AR, anyway).  Something of the 5.56 piston variety.  I have a Ruger SR-556c and I love everything about that rifle other than the horrible stock trigger. (Gun reviewers often kindly refer to such triggers as "combat-grade", which is code for "this trigger sucks".)   But I've also been looking at the Sig 516 & 551-A1 (and possibly the SBR version), PWS MK1 and LWRC M6-SL.  All of these rifles are hundreds less than what the AK-15 would presumably sell for, so I guess I'd be interested in hearing what advantages - if any - the AK-15 might have over those.  

I do generally prefer AK's, and the AK-15 is different for sure.  It's just that in this price range, being different isn't enough.  This is a souped-up, $350-$500 Saiga being sold for $2,000+.  It would need to do something amazing, and preferably something it's competition couldn't do, to justify the price.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yup, every time I just smell Break-free I'm reminded of Ft. Irwin.  And a particular 1SG I didn't like who I swear showered with the stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When my daughter was smaller she heard my wife complain about me smelling like CLP, so she'd tell me I smelled like seal pee.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#24]

I've recently been thinking about buying a nicer AR (most likely an AR, anyway).  Something of the 5.56 piston variety.  I have a Ruger SR-556c and I love everything about that rifle other than the horrible stock trigger. (Gun reviewers often kindly refer to such triggers as "combat-grade", which is code for "this trigger sucks".)   But I've also been looking at the Sig 516 & 551-A1 (and possibly the SBR version), PWS MK1 and LWRC M6-SL.  All of these rifles are hundreds less than what the AK-15 would presumably sell for, so I guess I'd be interested in hearing what advantages - if any - the AK-15 might have over those.  

I do generally prefer AK's, and the AK-15 is different for sure.  It's just that in this price range, being different isn't enough.  This is a souped-up, $350-$500 Saiga being sold for $2,000+.  It would need to do something amazing, and preferably something it's competition couldn't do, to justify the price.
View Quote

Completely off topic, but i do own LWRC M6-SL and i went through Travis Haley class with it without even 1 malfunction...PM me if you have any questions about this rifle...since i strongly believe in piston driven rifles, LWRC was an easy choice...lol.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
MAC or plouffedaddy,

View Quote

Tough to say as I don't have an AK-15 at my disposal.    But, I can definitively say the KV-13 is the nicest 7.62 AK variant I've laid my hands on to date.

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't have one to play with.  I would be curious as to how the rear sight is mounted to the gun, aside from what appears to be the obvious.    

I'm not an iron sight kind of guy, I'll take a RDS over irons every time.  For this reason I prefer the setup of the AK15. If you're into irons, and if the rear sight is rock solid, the KV-13 looks pretty good to me.  But again, I have zero experience with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MAC or plouffedaddy,

I don't have one to play with.  I would be curious as to how the rear sight is mounted to the gun, aside from what appears to be the obvious.    

I'm not an iron sight kind of guy, I'll take a RDS over irons every time.  For this reason I prefer the setup of the AK15. If you're into irons, and if the rear sight is rock solid, the KV-13 looks pretty good to me.  But again, I have zero experience with it.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone photos but it'll have to do for now.  It should get the general point across though.  

The real genius is the way Krebs used a combination of welded plates and strategic milling on the end of the spring to get the top cover to retail zero---It really is one of those "why didn't anyone think of this earlier" things.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The real genius is the way Krebs used a combination of welded plates and strategic milling on the end of the spring to get the top cover to retail zero---It really is one of those "why didn't anyone think of this earlier" things.
View Quote

Someone did think of it earlier; Valmets and Galils.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Tough to say as I don't have an AK-15 at my disposal.    But, I can definitively say the KV-13 is the nicest 7.62 AK variant I've laid my hands on to date.

http://imageshack.us/a/img405/209/kroy.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MAC or plouffedaddy,

Yep, the KV-13 is a great shooter...

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Touche'.  

I was referring to a US custom shop but you win this round
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
http://imageshack.us/a/img580/9210/dpnx.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/8032/p9t1.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img405/3980/qyxw.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone photos but it'll have to do for now.  It should get the general point across though.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MAC or plouffedaddy,

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/9210/dpnx.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/8032/p9t1.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img405/3980/qyxw.jpg

Thanks, brother.  That helps me to understand how it was done. I know Marc wouldn't do anything half-assed, but looking at the promo pics I couldn't figure out how he got the top cover to remain solidly placed and able to maintain zero.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MAC or plouffedaddy,

http://www.theuzibutton.com/ArfCom/KCKV13_01.jpg

http://www.theuzibutton.com/ArfCom/images/KrbSt_Luke_01.jpg

http://www.theuzibutton.com/ArfCom/images/KCKV13_02.jpg

http://www.theuzibutton.com/ArfCom/images/KCKV13_04.jpg

http://www.theuzibutton.com/ArfCom/images/KCKV13_03.jpg

We need to get together to do some photography, given how close we are and all.

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

MAC or plouffedaddy,

That's until you shoot this AK15, then you'll want it and will walk over your KV-13 to get to it.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I was referring to a US custom shop but you win this round
View Quote

Its definately a better sight arrangement, don't know why more don't do it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MAC or plouffedaddy,

http://www.theuzibutton.com/ArfCom/KCKV13_01.jpg

http://www.theuzibutton.com/ArfCom/images/KrbSt_Luke_01.jpg

http://www.theuzibutton.com/ArfCom/images/KCKV13_02.jpg

http://www.theuzibutton.com/ArfCom/images/KCKV13_04.jpg

http://www.theuzibutton.com/ArfCom/images/KCKV13_03.jpg

Most certainly! And you need to show me how to edit video.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 4:08:41 AM EDT
[#35]
[b]Originally Posted By plouffedaddy

View Quote

What miling on the end of the spring?

I don't recall seeing any on my KV-13.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 6:48:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Now that Tim and the forum has made nice and had make-up posting, I'd just like to encourage Tim to never, ever, ever again, use the term "the sexy" in public.  I don't care if you are a Kentucky Colonel, that shit would've got you in a fist fight back when you were just a Lance Corporal and it still ain't right.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Now that Tim and the forum has made nice and had make-up posting, I'd just like to encourage Tim to never, ever, ever again, use the term "the sexy" in public.  I don't care if you are a Kentucky Colonel, that shit would've got you in a fist fight back when you were just a Lance Corporal and it still ain't right.
View Quote

You're just jealous.  Of what, I don't know exactly... but I'm sure of it.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2013 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Question on the Vepr based rifle pictured.  Were the barrels cut and pinned?  Will that keymod work on a 5.45 Vepr allowing the front sight to stay in place - that is why I ask.  It looks really long in those pics.  Also, on Kreb's site it states the key mod is for Saiga rifles.  Is he selling a Vepr model?
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 7:49:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Krebs needs to bring sexy back:

Link Posted: 10/6/2013 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://www.valmet.org/VEPR%20KTR%20.223%20RS.jpg
View Quote

I second that motion!

Also to answer Citadel-SC's question, Krebs told me the barrel is cut and the flash hider is pinned to 16.25" length.  I read somewhere that they have to modify the VEPR's sight to fit their new handguard (front or rear sight, I can't recall), so they have not offered one for it yet..  The KV-13 is based on the newer VEPR with integrated rear sight.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I second that motion!

Also to answer Citadel-SC's question, Krebs told me the barrel is cut and the flash hider is pinned to 16.25" length.  I read somewhere that they have to modify the VEPR's sight to fit their new handguard (front or rear sight, I can't recall), so they have not offered one for it yet..  The KV-13 is based on the newer VEPR with integrated rear sight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.valmet.org/VEPR%20KTR%20.223%20RS.jpg

I second that motion!

Thanks.  I was looking at getting a 5.45 Vepr with the standard rear sight so I guess the Saiga version would work.  I was more concerned with the front sight on a 16" Vepr.  I would want to keep the front sight so I was wondering if the key mod rail was too long.  I have seen it both ways but I guess those are prototypes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2013 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#42]
As soon as I saw the price.

Link Posted: 10/12/2013 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What is it with the notion AK's should be stuck in the 1940's while the AR continues to evolve?
View Quote

The AK is anchored to the 1940's by virtue of the design.  There are aspects of the design that can be brought up to date, but there are aspects that cannot...   Even the Russians are trying to get away from it.  You've just gotta dig the AK because it's an AK, and not try to make it into something that it's not.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This is actually a really good observation.  At some point you have to start making some pretty serious changes to the design to get it to be "modern", more than just handguard swaps and top rails to cover the thing in picatinny rail.

The safety on the AK and the prblematic location of the sight plane (i.e. way too low to allow co-witness with modern optics) are the two most obvious parts  anchored in the original 1940's design that require some real design changes from the get-go to accommodate a more modern design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is it with the notion AK's should be stuck in the 1940's while the AR continues to evolve?

The AK is anchored to the 1940's by virtue of the design.  There are aspects of the design that can be brought up to date, but there are aspects that cannot...   Even the Russians are trying to get away from it.  You've just gotta dig the AK because it's an AK, and not try to make it into something that it's not.

This is actually a really good observation.  At some point you have to start making some pretty serious changes to the design to get it to be "modern", more than just handguard swaps and top rails to cover the thing in picatinny rail.

The safety on the AK and the prblematic location of the sight plane (i.e. way too low to allow co-witness with modern optics) are the two most obvious parts  anchored in the original 1940's design that require some real design changes from the get-go to accommodate a more modern design.

I agree completely. That's why Kalashnikov Concern is working on the new AK-12 - a complete overhaul of the AK platform - which will address both concerns your raised, as well as some other ones.
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Sig 556 plus Aimpoint = DONE

Or buy a good AR, Aimpoint, rail, stock, sling, ammo, and training for less than this "AK-15"
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
[/span]
View Quote

oh yea, a 3-4 MOA sig 5,56
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:07:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I like it MAC but you and I have similar tastes in guns.

I know Marc had been looking for a working AR mag conversion for a long time. Him endorsing this one and building a rifle with it means it works.
While this will start out as an expensive rifle, as all things AK go, I expect we'll see other 5.56 AK's from other companies with this conversion in a few years.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:16:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[/span]

That's your contention for new SIG 556s?
Page / 4
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top