Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/26/2013 10:38:08 AM EDT
I have an SA85M. The gun is new and unfired. The Safety is EXTREMELY tight.

I know that many people use a screw drive or something to pry the safety outward, effectively bending it.

Is there a better and more effective way of loosening the safety considerably without damaging my gun?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#1]
you could bend it, I'd recommend putting a glove on and just flicking on and off safe/fire over and over again, you could file down the inside of the safety lever
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#2]
The "usual" method is to strip the rifle, gently lower the hammer, then turn the safety upright until it's sticking up at a 90 degree angle to the receiver.
Grip the safety and gently spring it outward away from the receiver to bend it slightly.
Don't bend too much too fast, you want the safety to have enough "snap" not to move on or off with a bump or from rubbing on something while carried.

Note that the safety lug inside the receiver may contact the right "leg" of the hammer spring and stick.  Just use a needle nose plier to lift the hammer spring off the right side of the trigger so the safety can be turned upward.
Replace it after you're finished.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm still learning about AK's.  I picked up a couple this past month,

I remember a poster here saying that there are 2 ways to address the stiff safety issue 1.) gently pry safety outward like being discussed in this thread 2.) use hammer to tap the rivet

Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to help
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The "usual" method is to strip the rifle, gently lower the hammer, then turn the safety upright until it's sticking up at a 90 degree angle to the receiver.
Grip the safety and gently spring it outward away from the receiver to bend it slightly.
Don't bend too much too fast, you want the safety to have enough "snap" not to move on or off with a bump or from rubbing on something while carried.

Note that the safety lug inside the receiver may contact the right "leg" of the hammer spring and stick.  Just use a needle nose plier to lift the hammer spring off the right side of the trigger so the safety can be turned upward.
Replace it after you're finished.
View Quote

this^
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Put it in a vice loose then hit the round button with a soft hammer or wrap some para cord around it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top