BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/22/2012 9:53:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawgleg44]
I know we have an SBR board in the Armory, but nothing AK specific.

I sent out my Form 1 yesterday, so I could post a pic in this thread in about 6 months if they are running about the same as my last three stamps. I wanted a real Krinkov, but the kits are way too expensive for me to invest in for a range toy. So, even though it's not as short, I'm using a Hungarian AMD-65, built by TN Guns on an SA2000 receiver. The version I have came with a UTG rail forend, which is surprisingly rigidly mounted. When my Form 1 comes back, I'll just Dremel off the tack weld and remove the barrel extension and thread on a YHM AK Phantom FH.

Until then, this is what it looks like sitting in the safe. I've already swapped out the grip to a Hogue, trimmed for the folding stock screw that hits the knuckle of your thumb. The huge UTG rail covers went away and were replaced with ladder covers. I'm going to pick up some 3/8" cold rolled round stock, form it for a raised cheekpiece and TIG weld it on. I'm checking into those modded safety levers with the tab on them to make them more ergonomic. I'm picking up a rear sling mount I'll thread into the left side of the frame, into the rear trunion. Since I have the rail forend, I'll just use a YHM rail front sling mount. It now has a Trijicon Reflex on an ARMS #15 mount on the top rail, too of the forend, too.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll play. My AKSU

suggled up with all it's accessories

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:13:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#3]

AK105 by Mario at PoHF

Doc Feelgood with Bulgarian AKSU

Nictra with his SR105 converted to AKSU at Behindlines.net class 2011

1P76 Rakurs

1PN34 / NSPU

Obzor

Aimpoint and PO 3.5x21P (Cowitnessed)

TX-CurbMonkey
AKSU with Samson Type 3 for Bulgarian front rails, Vltor offset scout mount and G2 light

TT-MAV and Taco rig

SLR107UR

With Samson Type 3 for Bulgarian rail, Vltor offset scout and G2

NinerRider

Z
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:16:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: xjedix] [#4]
Russian Micro-105 build. Basically a cut down 10.5" AK-105 built off a Saiga sporter.

Before:

After:

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a good plan.

I think my Mini is finally done. As long as nothing breaks I can't imaging changing anything.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Hawgleg44:

I sent out my Form 1 yesterday, so I could post a pic in this thread in about 6 months if they are running about the same as my last three stamps. I wanted a real Krinkov, but the kits are way too expensive for me to invest in for a range toy. So, even though it's not as short, I'm using a Hungarian AMD-65, built by TN Guns on an SA2000 receiver. The version I have came with a UTG rail forend, which is surprisingly rigidly mounted. When my Form 1 comes back, I'll just Dremel off the tack weld and remove the barrel extension and thread on a YHM AK Phantom FH.

Until then, this is what it looks like sitting in the safe. I've already swapped out the grip to a Hogue, trimmed for the folding stock screw that hits the knuckle of your thumb. The huge UTG rail covers went away and were replaced with ladder covers. I'm going to pick up some 3/8" cold rolled round stock, form it for a raised cheekpiece and TIG weld it on. I'm checking into those modded safety levers with the tab on them to make them more ergonomic. I'm picking up a rear sling mount I'll thread into the left side of the frame, into the rear trunion. Since I have the rail forend, I'll just use a YHM rail front sling mount. It now has a Trijicon Reflex on an ARMS #15 mount on the top rail, too of the forend, too.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll204/Hawglegf44/da1d06f5236308ad004f79f13a226524.jpg

I did the exact same thing and for the exact same reason. sent out my Form 1 about 4 weeks ago.
What did you put in block D for the model #? I put down SA2000M, I hope thats right.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:10:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawgleg44] [#7]
Originally Posted By Hewie:
Originally Posted By Hawgleg44:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll204/Hawglegf44/da1d06f5236308ad004f79f13a226524.jpg

I did the exact same thing and for the exact same reason. sent out my Form 1 about 4 weeks ago.
What did you put in block D for the model #? I put down SA2000M, I hope thats right.

I put down the same thing since that's what's on the receiver. It doesn't say "AMD-65" anywhere, so I didn't include it.

I know I did this backwards, but I don't have it engraved yet. I'm going to my friend's garage this week and getting it done on his CNC milling machine. He did my last two and they came out great.

Damn, I'm getting depressed now.  Mine is going to be a total POS compared to the others in this thread!

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:10:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tactical_T] [#8]
Here's a family photo. Baby number four should be on the way in a couple months. The doctor told me that she would be a black bulgarian 5.45 krink with triangle stock.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:16:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rayman1] [#9]

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: atxtj] [#10]

Man thats beautiful!

I made a thread for mine a bit back, but I really like it, so I'm gonna show it again.

Draco SBR

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By xjedix:
Russian Micro-105 build. Basically a cut down 10.5" AK-105 built off a Saiga sporter.

http://i.imgur.com/gxs28.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/p5v6v.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DobB1.jpg

if you had used a krink RSB/top cover on this it would be the greatest AK ever assembled, but since you didnt, its just the 2nd greatest  what kind of gas port work did you have to do?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:03:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawgleg44] [#12]
I saw in another post on the Hungarian board that someone used this same rail system. They modified it the same way I was planning, but I reconsidered after looking at it more closely.

As you can see in my pic, the top rail extends farther than the other rails. Using a short optic, like my Trijicon Reflex, the part that extends forward is not needed, and I was going to cut it off. Then I looked at the holes that bleed off the gas where the gas tube meets the gas block. Keeping the extended rail will protect the lens of the optic, that cost almost as much as the rifle itself!

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the Reflex on it or not, but I'll decide that when the stamp comes in and I play with it more.

Now for the cheekpiece I'm going to fab. I was going to make it tall enough so it works well with the optic, but decided against that, too. I've decided to make it short enough so it aligns correctly with the irons, and just deal with the added height of the optic. That way, if the optic ever becomes unusable, I can just throw open the levers on the ARMS mount and ditch the sight without having to deal with the cheekpiece being too tall at that point.

See, the ATF is doing us a huge favor with the 6 month waits. We have enough time to plan out our builds completely without rushing into them and making a mistake!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I hate each and every one of you. Just sayin
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#14]

I love this setup, well done.

Originally Posted By MattNificent:

if you had used a krink RSB/top cover on this it would be the greatest AK ever assembled, but since you didnt, its just the 2nd greatest  what kind of gas port work did you have to do?

The barrel was reprofiled for the gas block and drilled a new gas port to .070", same port size as a 5.45 krink.  Also had to shorten and flare the gas tube and had a custom length gas piston made.

Thinking about making another one in 7.62x39.

D.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ZEROTHOMAS:
I hate each and every one of you. Just sayin

I know it's not as nice as most of them in this thread, but the AMD-65 option is the easiest and especially the cheapest way of doing an AK SBR. It's no Krinkov, but I'll take what I can get. A 12-1/2" barrel with no mods at all. No drilling out of gas ports, no replacing rear trunions on an AK pistol to add a buttstock, nothing. Just fill out a Form 1, get your info engraved on it, Dremel off a tack weld and screw on your choice of a muzzle brake or flash hider. It really can't get any easier!

Now you don't have to hate us!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#16]

That is beautiful. All it needs is a Saiga 12 pistol grip.
I could go for that same set up in a 7.62x39 with OD Green furniture and mags. I wonder if I could convert a SLR-107CR to that?  Who did all the work for you?

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:31:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ShrubmasterM4A3] [#17]
Here's my Arsenal SLR-107CR SBR-ed back to it's AK-104 trim.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:44:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Best looking AK SBR, period.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#20]

I agree. I was gonna post something about that one on the top. It's not normally my cup of tea, but for some reason I really like it. Somewhat traditional with a touch of tacticool.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I already love this thread!!

AMD65 SBR
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:22:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#22]

That is my favorite non AR SBR I've seen to date.

Well done.

In fact I can't stop thinking about how awesome that is.

What did the whole project run if you don't mind me asking? I would love something similar done with a 5.56 AK
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:36:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Exile] [#24]

I have a couple more to build down the road. Once money and time comes available.

This one will probably be next.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:48:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawgleg44] [#25]

That looks nice. I have a Polytech Underfolder I would like to SBR, but I just don't want to invest that much cash into one right now. I do have a few Romanian parts kits left over, so when I get around to building them, I might look for a barrel assy and SBR one of them. I was considering finishing them with some Tapco flats, but I may just take the lazy way out and use some Nodak receivers.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:03:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Exile] [#26]
l took the super lazy way out. AMD-65 kit and NDS matching # receiver. With the cost of Hungarian handguards, Pistol Grip and underfolding stock I have $550 invested in it after the $200 tax stamp.

Thanks though. I really like it. Kinda made my other underfolders just start taking up room in the safe and not getting out much.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Exile:
l took the super lazy way out. AMD-65 kit and NDS matching # receiver. With the cost of Hungarian handguards, Pistol Grip and underfolding stock I have $550 invested in it after the $200 tax stamp.

Thanks though. I really like it. Kinda made my other underfolders just start taking up room in the safe and not getting out much.

OK, that sheds a little light on the project. It makes a lot more sense, project wise, to change my AMD to an underfolder instead of SBRing my Polytech. I'm not the AK guru, and I don't claim to be. Without a lot of research, I couldn't come close to building a "correct" Krinkov. So, I think the receivers are different for underfolders. Stronger maybe? Nothing I couldn't modify/TIG/machine to make work.

I might just have to look for an underfolder assembly.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
That is my favorite non AR SBR I've seen to date.

Well done.

In fact I can't stop thinking about how awesome that is.

What did the whole project run if you don't mind me asking? I would love something similar done with a 5.56 AK

Thanks man.

I believe the build came in right around $950 including the tax stamp.  That's after selling the parts that were pulled off the donor Saiga and doing most all the work myself.

D.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#29]

atxtj, I am going to have to disagree with everyone else and say that your rifle is the most functionally, as well as aesthetically, beautiful rifle in the

thread.  Very, very jealous.  Off to find your thread.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Formergrunt94:

atxtj, I am going to have to disagree with everyone else and say that your rifle is the most functionally, as well as aesthetically, beautiful rifle in the  

thread.  Very, very jealous.  Off to find your thread.

Thanks man! I'm really happy with how it turned out. Where's everyone else's? I know there's more SBRs out there!
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#31]
This oughta be good for a chuckle.  The seasoned folks will know why I say that.

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm more frustrated with the jerks who welded the bolt carriers on all those lovely toys all over that wall.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

I'm more frustrated with the jerks who welded the bolt carriers on all those lovely toys all over that wall.  

yea, that bugged me too. Dremel time?

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#35]
2006 Saiga with Y axis. Built by Marc Krebs.

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#37]

I bet the muzzle flash on that is incredibly awesome!

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 4:00:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frankyoz] [#38]
edit for dbl tap further down
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By nictra:

I bet the muzzle flash on that is incredibly awesome!

Oh yeah
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#40]
I'll add

Link Posted: 1/10/2013 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Frankyoz:
Posted this in the pistol section missed the thread here, just got the paperwork back last week.

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad272/Blazed30/md3.jpg

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad272/Blazed30/MD1.jpg

That a vz.58 stock? Looks good on an AK.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 9:04:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#42]
Still have a Bulgarian AKSU and Russian AKSU that I'm waiting on stamps for.

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#43]
My contribution

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 5:29:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 0uTkAsT] [#45]
I sold the RMR since these were taken. It's getting an AKOG and a TA26S after SHOT.

Link Posted: 2/8/2013 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By 0uTkAsT:
I sold the RMR since these were taken. It's getting an AKOG and a TA26S after SHOT.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/2223/20120405114914hdr.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1328/c360201208041315521.jpg

Exactly the setup i want but with an aimpoint T1, vfg, and 5.45.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Just re-finished the wood handguards:

Going to get the barrel re-threaded for a 51T flash-hider mount for an Advanced Armament 762-SDN-6 suppressor (which will see dual-use on my 300 blackout AR as well)
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Heres my SBR....a  Saiga MK/AK-104

When i bought it it came with the black polymer furniture and mag but has been through a few different looks including Soviet AKM furniture and a set of Kosovan war furniture for the BFPU look.I decided to go back to the black furniture as it matchs my Dragunov SVD-S quite nicely for that 'Spetsnaz' look.I bought it already configured as an AK-104 as we can in the UK and it is 100% Russian as they are brought in direct from Izhmash and have genuine AK-104 furniture and flash-hider etc.The PK-A red-dot arrived from Belarus this week and i still need to zero it (snowing again in the UK ), and it replaces a POSP 8x42vd scope that was to big for a SBR.The PK-A suits it perfectly in my opinion and the whole package now feels nicely balanced.I did have a single-point sling fitted but personally find the original two-point sling to be more practical, especially now it has had the 'silent treatment' with some insulation tape on the attachment points to stop the rattles

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#49]
love the PKA myself.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#50]
whats the saiga mk trigger like?i would love to try one of those.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top